Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,766 members, 7,827,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example (28529 Views)

I Peppered Goodluck Jonathan, I Am Going To Pepper Buhari Too / Goodluck Jonathan: I Have No Accounts Or Property Abroad / Femi Fani-Kayode: "Kumuyi Shaking Buhari, I Am Ashamed" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by yns4real: 4:53am On May 26, 2018
…warns Buhari not to use powers to weaken democracy

Kamarudeen Ogundele, Ado Ekiti

Former President Goodluck Jonathan says he is ashamed that Nigeria is now being used as a negative example in the international community.

He cited recent instances when the Ghanaian President, Nana Akufo-Addo, mocked the poor state of security in Nigeria and the naira’s weakening status.

Jonathan spoke at the inauguration of the first bridge built by Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State in Ado Ekiti, the state capital, on Friday night.

The former President lamented that things were so bad in the country that Nigeria had lost its respect in Africa.

He said, “He (Ghanaian President) said Ghana is not like Nigeria where cattle roam the streets. At another occasion in the United Kingdom, he made scathing remarks about Nigeria’s currency.

“I feel ashamed as a former President that the president of a neighbouring country used Nigeria as negative examples.

“If a neighbouring African president will use Nigeria to make negative examples, then we as leaders must know certain things are wrong in the country. That means we as leaders must change the way we do things.”

The former President, therefore, urged Nigerian leaders to show serious concern, noting that many things had gone wrong in the country.

Jonathan also advised President Muhammadu Buhari to resist pressure to rig the July 14 governorship election in Ekiti State and subsequent elections in the country.

He praised the people of Ekiti for their support for the Peoples Democratic Party, urging them to support the youthful candidates of the party in the election.

The party has elected 50-year-old Deputy Governor, Prof. Kolapo Olusola, and 39-year-old Deji Ogunsakin as his running mate.

Jonathan described Fayose as an exemplary leader and loyal party man, who had done the PDP proud in all areas.

He said, “I don’t believe anybody can defeat the PDP in Ekiti if election is going to be held.”

He said, “I use this opportunity to call on Mr. President because I was there before. When you are there, there is so much pressure on you to use your power to subjugate democracy.

“Don’t do that because when you are going; the only thing you leave behind is your good name. If you use it wrongly, posterity will haunt you. I call on Mr. President to use his power to strengthen democracy.”

Jonathan also defended Nigerian youths, saying they were one of the best in the world and should not be branded lazy as recently remarked by Buhari.

“We must encourage young people to work hard. I don’t think Nigerian youths are lazy, I have worked with some of them in my cabinet as governor and president. Nigerian youths are great people with intelligence,” he said.

At the event, Governor Ayodele Fayose said the 77-member election committee raised by the All Progressives Congress for the Ekiti governorship election showed the desperation of the party to win at all costs.

“I will defeat them by the grace of God,” he said.

http://punchng.com/im-ashamed-nigerias-now-used-as-negative-example-jonathan/

76 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by madridguy(m): 4:57am On May 26, 2018
Message well noted Mr GEJ.

194 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by dadark: 4:58am On May 26, 2018
sharrap....

125 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by fallout87: 5:08am On May 26, 2018
Intelligent and well thought out message from a president who has wished the best for Nigeria.

A president who didn't try to intimidate or jail APC members and Buhari to keep them from election..

A president who believed so much in democracy he didn't even challenge his loss, called and congratulated Buhari.. even though there was significant proof of rigging in the north...

A president who didn't want any bloodshed.. unlike the murderous fundamentalist Buhari who started rampage killings with his bitter utterances every time he lost in the past.

374 Likes 39 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by RZArecta2(m): 5:08am On May 26, 2018
dadark:
sharrap....
see as you dey smell cool

291 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by Nobody: 5:09am On May 26, 2018
dadark:
sharrap....
I can only pity you.

The phrase Nigeria where cows roam the street and the other phrase about killings in Nigeria are too much to bear as a nation. Pitiful. cry

259 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by AshCoded(m): 5:10am On May 26, 2018
hmmm...

he is ashamed Nigeria is nw being used as a negative example...as if he was nt once the president of Nigeria.

it is nw u know something is wrong with dis country bha

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by Nobody: 5:13am On May 26, 2018

He said, “I use this opportunity to call on Mr. President because I was there before. When you are there, there is so much pressure on you to use your power to subjugate democracy.

“Don’t do that because when you are going; the only thing you leave behind is your good name.
If you use it wrongly, posterity will haunt you. I call on Mr. President to use his power to strengthen democracy.”

Babangida would do anything to redeem his name..

Abacha is turning in his grave

Yar adua is forever remembered

Abdusalam is the man who gave democracy (peace)

Obj - the could have been mandela

Gej - The man whose ambition is not worth any life.

Buhari - i can only think of nepotism but we are still writing.....

256 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by AshCoded(m): 5:17am On May 26, 2018
itz nt his (Ghanaian president) fault o, I dnt blame him.

if all our leaders, past nd present had done well, he wouldn't dare.

at least they have something to be proud of in their country... stable electricity.

May God help us nd provide us with good leaders.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by SOFTENGR: 5:24am On May 26, 2018
dadark:
sharrap....
Mumu BMC spotted!

108 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by orisa37: 5:30am On May 26, 2018
Jonathan is right but unwisely cast The Pearls before swines. They are now trampling on them.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by Riogeese(m): 5:30am On May 26, 2018
“I will defeat them by the grace of God”

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by amaechi1: 5:35am On May 26, 2018
How come you did not mention opening of central bank vault for your cronies. Anyway stealing is not corruption.

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by Yello1(m): 6:09am On May 26, 2018
I sight a man who is greater Dan d president even after his tenure in office... I sight Ebele Jonathan d man who sees beyond now.

134 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by Diiet: 6:12am On May 26, 2018
This one self dey talk.... Was your presidency any better than the current one? Nonsense.

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by BankeSmalls(f): 6:18am On May 26, 2018
dadark:
sharrap....

smello

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by ZombiePUNISHER: 6:18am On May 26, 2018
Diiet:
This one self dey talk....
Was your presidency any better than the current one? Nonsense.

A goat is better than Buhari

Quote me anywhere

117 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by BankeSmalls(f): 6:18am On May 26, 2018
Diiet:
This one self dey talk....
Was your presidency any better than the current one? Nonsense.

Furl at #87 says it all.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by ashjay001(m): 6:19am On May 26, 2018
AshCoded:
hmmm...

he is ashamed Nigeria is nw being used as a negative example...as if he was nt once the president of Nigeria.

it is nw u know something is wrong with dis country bha

D guy na hypocrite joor! D day I disliked him most, was when a US presidential aspirant(Hillary Clinton), disparaged his reign n our country, publicly n unapologetically angry

Somebody, aspiring to be d most powerful person in d world, insulting d giant of Africa n not giving a fvck, abt d consequencesshocked

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by ZombiePUNISHER: 6:20am On May 26, 2018
dadark:
sharrap....

Tdarkside
Justoodark
Dadark

You can't be helped anymore...
The virus has spread out of proportion

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by ZombiePUNISHER: 6:23am On May 26, 2018
ashjay001:

D guy na hypocrite joor! D day I disliked him most, was when a US presidential aspirant(Hillary Clinton), disparaged his reign n our country, publiclyangry

Somebody, aspiring to be d most powerful person in d world, insulting d giant of Africa n not giving a fvck, abt d consequencesshocked

And which country is the giant of Africa?

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by Nobody: 6:23am On May 26, 2018
The President of Ghana is mocking Nigeria at every given chance. I feel sad about it, especially when we are member-states of ECOWAS. He shouldnt do that, it is actually wrong.

There is a way to defend his country's grow status without demeaning a sister nation. I believe Ghana needs Nigeria and some day, that will be proven.

As for Jonathan, I blame him for letting Buhari have access to the Presidency, but then again, Nigerians need to taste the bitter pill, may be the poverty they will experience from 2019 to 2013 will wake them up. Cos I know Buhari is a killer, he will stop at nothing to plunge the country into chaos, for his vindictive ambition. I have not seen anyone as vindictive as this old man called Buhari.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by dadark: 6:25am On May 26, 2018
RZArecta2:
see as you dey smell cool

and see as your brain no dey work.....

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by dadark: 6:26am On May 26, 2018
CaptJeffry:
I can only pity you.

The phrase Nigeria where cows roam the street and the other phrase about killings in Nigeria are too much to bear as a nation. Pitiful. cry

pity yourself.....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by dadark: 6:27am On May 26, 2018
SOFTENGR:

Mumu BMC spotted!

mumu wailer.....

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by dadark: 6:27am On May 26, 2018
BankeSmalls:

smello

stinky....

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by dadark: 6:28am On May 26, 2018
ZombiePUNISHER:

Tdarkside
Justoodark
Dadark

You can't be helped anymore...
The virus has spread out of proportion

what do you want....??

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by Lanretoye(m): 6:29am On May 26, 2018
He-diot,if you had ruled this country properly,they wouldn’t have bundled you out of office let alone one cattle rearer be handed the baton of affairs.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by ZombiePUNISHER: 6:30am On May 26, 2018
dadark:

what do you want....??

Want to help you.... Forget that Buhari who has nothing to offer...
We will find a new path... Together

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by omowolewa: 6:31am On May 26, 2018
Very soon they will find a direct. corruption case for GEJ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by dadark: 6:31am On May 26, 2018
ZombiePUNISHER:

Want to help you.... Forget that Buhari who has nothing to offer...
We will find a new path... Together

nooooo,dont help me...any help from you is damnation.....

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Am Ashamed Nigeria Used By Akufo-Addo As Negative Example by Westbestside: 6:34am On May 26, 2018
ashjay001:

D guy na hypocrite joor! D day I disliked him most, was when a US presidential aspirant(Hillary Clinton), disparaged his reign n our country, publiclyangry

Giant of wetin

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ganduje Speaks On Balkanization Of Kano Emirate / Fact Check: Did Evelyn Joshua Promise Peter Obi 8 Million Votes? / EFCC Probes Buhari’s Ministers For Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.