Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,299 members, 7,819,010 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Is There Anything To Be Happy About The Independence Day? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is There Anything To Be Happy About The Independence Day? (308 Views)

Why I’m Happy About Smear Campaign Against Peter Obi – Aisha Yesufu / Keyamo: I Am Happy About The Issues Obi Raised In His Election Petitions / Yahaya Bello: Nigerians Should Be Happy About Tinubu, Shettima Combo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Anything To Be Happy About The Independence Day? by damoneymag(m): 10:13pm On May 28, 2018
Is there anything to be happy about the independence day?

Today the 29th of may is a day all Nigerians celebrate the return of our dear country back to democratic rule, having suffered a great deal of hardship and autocratic dictatorship under the military.
Fast forward, our nascent democracy is only but 19 years old. So far is there really anything to be happy about on this democracy day?
I was part of the adhoc staff that worked with inec during the 2015 general elections. I can still remember so vividly how passionate people were about Buhari. Sai Baba was the new hit single in town as both young and old kept shouting and creaming it everywhere. My very good friend and colleague was also a strong admirer and supporter of the Buhari brand. I remember him telling me to join hands to make history as we send the "otueke drunkard" packing. He was ready to debate anybody who had a different political view. And trust me, he was good and very convincing with his argument, and yes he was ready to go violent if the debate becomes too heated.
My neighbour was another bone headed, die hard supporter of Baba, he said he will give his life if that was what it took to ensure that Baba won the elections. And yea.. He was a family man with a wife and and teenage son. He was always cursing Jonathan and threaten to unleash violence on Jonathan's supporters. One would think Jonathan took his wife haha.. That was 3years ago.. 2015
Three years down the line, I read on the pages of news paper all the achievements of the "change government". The revamping of the economy, using various economic indices such as our growing reserve, the performance of stock exchange, our economy recovery plan and several others. On infrastructure, we read about the roads being constructed, proposed coastal rail, 2nd Niger bridge etc. On security, we read about bokoharam being technically defeated at one point, totally defeated at another point and rolled back at another.. Not sure which one to believe but then the underlining Idea is that they have been beaten.. The purchase of arms, fighter gets, helicopters, and gun boats for our military etc. On corruption fight, we read of several millions being recovered and many of our politicians branded looters and hounded by the EFCC. Looking at all this achievements, the are quite laudable, and those that worked tooth and nail at the grassroot level like my neighbour and my friend and colleague, should be supper excited and proud of themselves for being patriots..
Let me start with my friend and colleague. He was at the time having one more step to round up his ican program. Very smart young man he was.. After the elections we parted ways and two years down I was able to get in contact with him again and I asked him if he had completed his ican program, because I needed his expertise on an assignment, but to my disappointment, He said he was unable to continue due to financial constrains.
My neighbour, that one started singing a new song one year down into the change era, when he lost his mother to an ailment of which if he was financially buoyant she'll still be alive.
My family lives in Kogi state, and yes.. Kogi voted massively for change, but right now civil servants have turned into beggars, businesses are at a stand still and everyone seems to be totally tired of the change.
I stay in ilorin and the story is not any different over here. Benue use to be one place I love to visit, but I haven't been there in the past year due to the farmers headsmen class claiming several lives..
This has got me wondering why all this wonderful achievements we read in the papers are not reflected in the lives of this folks who were ready to lay down their lives for a change in government. Rather their living standards have taken a nose dive. Many of them out of shame have committed suicide because asking for help from a neighbour or a relative you coursed, and told to watch the incoming government better the lots of Nigerians will amount to total disgrace. Those who are managing to survive are walking with their heads bowed in shame when ever they are reminded of their choices in 2015. To such people will wishing them happy democracy day not amount to robing salt to injury?
To the Benue people, whom headsmen have driven out of their ancestral land, kogi people who have been reduced to beggarly life due to non Payment of salaries, to the south eastern folks who lost their sons to the Python dance, to the over 4million people who lost their jobs, " is there really anything to be happy about on this democracy day?"
I guess there only solace is that 2019 is just a few months ahead and they'll be able to correct there mistakes.

God bless Nigeria
Re: Is There Anything To Be Happy About The Independence Day? by SouthEastFacts: 10:55pm On May 28, 2018
#PMBWasted3years #PMBfailuresAt3 they are trending now.
Re: Is There Anything To Be Happy About The Independence Day? by Happibest22: 11:01pm On May 28, 2018
For being Alive.
is not all about the gainful or wasteful years of Demograzy.
Re: Is There Anything To Be Happy About The Independence Day? by damoneymag(m): 7:02am On May 29, 2018
happy democracy day

lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Governor Dickson Resolves Amassoma Crisis...… NDU To Reopen Soon / Become Empowered To Empower Others / Police Arrest Kwara Gov’s Aide, Alabi Olalekan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.