Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,530 members, 7,837,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection (22927 Views)

Patient Dies Of Bubonic Plague In China, An Entire Village Sealed Off / COVID-19 Patient Dies In Commercial Bus In Niger / COVID-19: Another Patient Dies In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by brodalokie: 8:07am On May 31, 2018
namet:
The pastor should be arrested and charged with manslaughter. For it is only when we start holding these illiterate and self-proclaimed pastors accountable for taking advantage of the weak and helpless that this type of insanity and backwardness will stop.

LET US NOT FORGET THAT WHITE PEOPLE BROUGHT CHRISTIANITY TO AFRICA, WHICH MEANS THERE WAS A TIME WE DIDN'T HAVE PASTORS AND CHURCHES. SO, WHY SHOULD WE ALLOW THIS RELIGION TO HOLD US HOSTAGE, IN A MANNER THAT MAKES US DUMB AND DEFY EMPIRICAL SCIENCE AND TESTED TECHNOLOGY?

Religion is making us dumb. It is time we stop this wilfull idiocy!

They brought everything both your oracle (tarot) and divination na white man idea. The problem lies in the system, not life itself.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by ifyalways(f): 8:07am On May 31, 2018
virago:

This is very insensitive , so it's the dead man's fault his wife and the pastor's wife refused to accept the doctor's orders. I used to think you had sense but I now see you're dense
You mother is dense.
Cheers
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by brodalokie: 8:11am On May 31, 2018
monex:

it is possible for faith and reason to walk together

If it is achieving one goal, yes. Faith and hope are one like that.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by Abuforallah1(m): 8:12am On May 31, 2018
That is pastor for you, people know the real religion but still ignorant
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by Horus(m): 8:29am On May 31, 2018
Ban all imported religions
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by brodalokie: 8:48am On May 31, 2018
Horus:
Ban all imported religions

What of imported technology? cool
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by poseidon12: 8:49am On May 31, 2018
EsotericMonk:

You need to visit civilized climes to clear off your ignorance.

So Doctors in "civilized climes" take instructions from the patients' Pastors?

1 Like

Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by egopersonified(f): 8:54am On May 31, 2018
Guys, there is nothing wrong with religion, its just how you apply it. Don't forget to use your brain, even God would be angry with you. The painful thing would be those that would have lost their lives or livelihood over church doctrines that will be reversed years later.

No more pain, rest on sir.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by Pataricatering(f): 8:59am On May 31, 2018
More doctors should come out detailing situations like these with useless pastors ! Always struggling with health professionals! If you want to heal the sick why not go and study for six years at least like doctors do ? Awon oloribu
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by poseidon12: 9:04am On May 31, 2018
nobilis:

Hahahahahahaha.
You see what I'm talking about?

Was the doctor taking instructions from the pastor?
Did you read the article very well?

The patient's wife was the one making decisions concerning the treatment of her husband based on instructions she was receiving from the pastor.

Or you want the doctor to go against what the patient's wife is demanding so that if anything goes wrong, the doctor will still be blamed and then be sued??

You see?
You didn't bother reading the article.
And you're already blaming the doctor.

If the doctor goes against the decision of the wife to do what he knows is right for the patient and the patient doesn't make it, you will still come here and say the doctor should not have gone against the wife's decision and even call him a quack.

But he followed due process and actually treated according to the decisions the wife was making, yet you are still blaming the doctor.

What exactly is wrong with you Nigerians?

You should not be making excuses for the Doctor. This was an emergency and no DNAR was presented. Just the wife telling the Doctor to wait for an approval from the Pastor. Doesn't make sense at all. That's a case of negligence right there.
How many times do you hear of hospitals or Doctors getting sued in Nigeria? And hospitals in Nigeria generally pick and choose which cases to treat. We have heard a lot of cases of accident victims being refused treatment and subsequently dying.
In Nigeria, people just act with impunity. No consequences at all. That is what is in play here. And the Doctor is even narrating the event as if it was a sports event.

1 Like

Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by emmanuelex1(m): 9:04am On May 31, 2018
You made a great point here but sadly I lost my dad immediately he was injected while suffering stroke in a hospital, I ask the doctor what exactly happened but he could not give me a straight explanation. Instead of NMA fighting JOHESU OR JOHESU fighting NMA, they should find out why people are afraid or better still resolve their mystery. No one has truly educated them on this. Visit federal hospitals to see how stroke patient die in droves, you too go fear. I can place a 100, 00 naira bet that that man was stsill going to die if the doctors had injected him. Most times you hear it was not too bad till he was injected. f
Anigreat:
shocked

People who brought religion to us were the same people who introduced medicine to us...then tell me why you said i shouldn't take drugs. Are you mad?
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by emmanuelex1(m): 9:08am On May 31, 2018
You made a great point here but sadly I lost my dad immediately he was injected while suffering stroke in a hospital, I ask the doctor what exactly happened but he could not give me a straight explanation. Instead of NMA fighting JOHESU OR JOHESU fighting NMA, they should find out why people are afraid or better still resolve their mystery. No one has truly educated them on this. Visit federal hospitals to see how stroke patient die in droves, you too go fear. I can place a 100, 000 Naira bet that that man was still going to die if the doctors had injected him. Most times you hear it was not too bad till he was injected.

thorpido:
:Don't let them give him/her injections o.Hear this all the time.smh
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by Nobody: 9:14am On May 31, 2018
poseidon12:

So Doctors in "civilized climes" take instructions from the patients' Pastors?
When you understand the concept of the "power of attorney" , come back for an educated discussion.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by uloewa: 9:14am On May 31, 2018
poseidon12:

You should not be making excuses for the Doctor. This was an emergency and no DNAR was presented. Just the wife telling the Doctor to wait for an approval from the Pastor. Doesn't make sense at all. That's a case of negligence right there.
How many times do you hear of hospitals or Doctors getting sued in Nigeria? And hospitals in Nigeria generally pick and choose which cases to treat. We have heard a lot of cases of accident victims being refused treatment and subsequently dying.
In Nigeria, people just act with impunity. No consequences at all. That is what is in play here. And the Doctor is even narrating the event as if it was a sports event.

Narrating it and saying how he did not feel pity when the man died. Thank God that dr is in Nigeria- if not he wil be counting years in jail.l
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by JamesReacher(m): 9:22am On May 31, 2018
brodalokie:

They brought everything both your oracle (tarot) and divination na white man idea. The problem lies in the system, not life itself.
You must be out of your mind if you say they brought Oracle and divination to us.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by Nobody: 9:33am On May 31, 2018
henryhemon:
People play religion. I see people saying religion is a problem...true but if you practice true Christianity I'm sure you would know that it didn't advised one to be stupid. It says in all thy getting get wisdom because wisdom is the principal thing. Wisdom would 've reset those ones brain to know the difference between being stupid,playing religion. Infact if you 've a relationship with God you won't need a Pastor for anything..
Ignorance is number one waster, Jeremiah 8:22, 1st Tim 5:23 and even Rev 22:2 point to the importance of drugs in healing. I wonder why they dont rush accident victims to those pastors who teach taking medications is for unbelievers. There is faith offcourse and so is the knowledge of medicine all made possible by Gods grace.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by TDonald: 9:35am On May 31, 2018
There is a possibility that this could also be another fake Twitter story, just to trend..... Smh undecided

1 Like

Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by brodalokie: 9:35am On May 31, 2018
JamesReacher:
You must be out of your mind if you say they brought Oracle and divination to us.

But they did. We all come from a common source, spread across earth planes, share what we have between ourselves as we tour among ourselves (trade by bats). Oracle has been with man like for ever, the one been used today began in the middle east and perfected in Europe. Now with America taking it to another level. I can proof it to you from the Bible. Everything began in the middle east, even the garden of Eden is somewhere around there
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by Nobody: 9:37am On May 31, 2018
There is indeed a difference. Religion is open to varying interpretation; the interpretation of whosoever presents the doctrine. More so, the very fact that different pastors preach different things makes dependence on christian churches, especially Nigerian version of Christianity, problematic and very risky. Besides, religion preaches faith, and the outcome of faith is often grayed-out.

Medical science and technology, on the other hand, is a product of empirical observation and test, with a high degree of predictable outcome. Specific "active ingredients" remain the same in drugs/medications regardless of which company makes it and such drug is prescribed for specific ailments regardless of which hospital or doctor you go to.

Because medicines are more precise and drug content can't be changed by hospitals or doctors, this makes drugs more dependable or reliable when it comes to issues of health, whereas pastors say different things to their congregations and faith is hard to quantify and often doesn't yield predictable results.

That is why the white people who brought us these things encourage you to seek medical treatment for health issues and not to go to a pastor or church. It is the same reason why if you want to control the world, you build military weapons which is science and technology based, instead of depend on faith, God or some religion. If we don't de-emphasize religion, we won't advance as a people and create things that impact humanity.

Anigreat:
shocked

People who brought religion to us were the same people who introduced medicine to us...then tell me why you said i shouldn't take drugs. Are you mad?
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by mclorenzo(m): 9:52am On May 31, 2018
EbukaHades10:
Some people too dey carry religion for head like another thing.
That was how my roommate said his pastor said they shouldn't take medications because Children of God don't get sick. The day he got sick,well,don't ask me what happened.
What happened please? He don kpoof ba?grin
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by Hahnemann: 9:52am On May 31, 2018
That's what we experience this days

Last year a Lady came to my facility with complaints of excessive thirst and frequent urination, I quickly tested her blood with my glucometer and Alas! the result was "HI" if u are a medical personnel u will understand wat it means when glucometer shows that kinda result.
I quickly gave a shot of insulin and the lady came bk the next day to thank me

After a long conversation, the lady revealed she has been in the church for 6 months bcoz the pastor told her the ailment is spiritual and any intake of tablet or injection will lead to instant death. The lady was actually tired of living and secretly came to hospital to take injection so that she will die but I thank God the reverse was the case.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by Nobody: 9:53am On May 31, 2018
uloewa:

You mr advanced climes should know that DNR is different from taking orders from a pastor or his wife. This was an emergency for God's sake and this doctor was chatting with a pastor. Your doctor friend should just thank God he is in Nigeria where bufoons reign
You should perhaps read the transcript again. The doc was communicating with the wife who is most likely the next of kin. If the next of kin says do not touch the patient, you have to respect her wishes cos she has the lasting power of attorney.
The only instant a medical intervention can be undertaken is if the patient was brought in by a by-stander or a consultant decides that he be treated.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by doctokwus: 10:05am On May 31, 2018
uloewa:

WHAT EXACTLY IS WRONG WITH YOU- WHICH DOCTOR TAKES INSTRUCTION FROM A NON MEDICAL PERSONNEL IN AN EMERGENCY. CONTINUE CELEBRATING QUACKS. ANY BODY THAT KNOWS A BIT OF MEDICINE KNOWS THAT DOCTOR SHOULD BE FACING A PANEL NOW FOR MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE
I was wondering myself.
If the facility knew the patient refused treatment,they should have been referred out or told to seek an alternative facility.
Again the way the Op was emphasizing on the injection refusal being the cause of the patient's death make me wonder.What kind of 'magical' injection do you give a full blown stroke patient that would perform any sort of magic? I would really want to acquire that wonder injection knowledge.
There is a 'poor practice' in Nigeria where some doctors or facilities,give patients or relations unrealistic or poor information concerning the true state of health of patients.
Imagine a Dr telling a patient relation that there is an injection that would reverse the already known poor sequelae of a stroke,without telling them there are more important management protocols involved and that,even at that,"the possibility of patient x,y making a full recovery is not guaranteed," or something along those lines.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by JamesReacher(m): 10:05am On May 31, 2018
brodalokie:

But they did. We all come from a common source, spread across earth planes, share what we have between ourselves as we tour among ourselves (trade by bats). Oracle has been with man like for ever, the one been used today began in the middle east and perfected in Europe. Now with America taking it to another level. I can proof it to you from the Bible. Everything began in the middle east, even the garden of Eden is somewhere around there
They brought Christianity and the Arabs brought Islam. Our oracle and divination has been with us since. You can prove it to me from the Bible( that was written by a white man?) You are going around in circles .
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by nobilis: 10:10am On May 31, 2018
uloewa:

WHAT EXACTLY IS WRONG WITH YOU- WHICH DOCTOR TAKES INSTRUCTION FROM A NON MEDICAL PERSONNEL IN AN EMERGENCY. CONTINUE CELEBRATING QUACKS. ANY BODY THAT KNOWS A BIT OF MEDICINE KNOWS THAT DOCTOR SHOULD BE FACING A PANEL NOW FOR MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE

poseidon12:

SMH.

This is incredible.

Nigerians and their sense of judgment sef.
Una well done.

Please, pay very rapt attention to what I will say now.
And you can cross-check it with what is obtainable in every other part of the world.
Don't come here and be celebrating your ignorance.

If you bring someone to a hospital in an emergency or he is unconscious, and you're the person's next of kin/emergency contact, it is your duty and responsibility to make decisions concerning that patient.

What the doctor will do is to do an initial analysis and stabilize the patient.
That's the first thing.
For any other steps to be taken have, you, as the next of kin/emergency contact, are the one that will make the decision to take those steps.

The only thing that the doctor will do is to lay out the different courses of action that could be taken and the probable consequences of each course of action.
And then, you will be the one to decide which one to choose, not the doctor.
This is called "INFORMED CONSENT" and it is a very important part of Medical Ethics.

The doctor cannot override the decision of a patient's next of kin/emergency contact unless he can prove that the next of kin/emergency contact is not mentally fit at that point in time to make such decisions and this has to be done in a court of law or if the patient is a minor (even when the patient is a minor, you still need a court injunction to override the decision of the patient's next of kin)

The only time that the doctor will make a decision to treat without recourse to any of the patient's relatives is if they are not there with the patient or if they could not be contacted as at the time the patient is presenting to the hospital.

The person you're calling non-medical personnel is the patient's wife. She is the one that decides the type of care the patient is going to receive. You don't touch a patient when the next of kin/emergency contact says you should not do so.

For example, you don't see a Jehovah's witness who was brought unconscious to the hospital by her husband and you know she needs blood transfusion to be able survive and then you proceed to transfuse her even when the husband refuses.

The doctor in this case, tried to do the right thing, but there is no way he can go against the decision of the wife. And he even went ahead to try to find out what was influencing the wife's decisions and tried to reach the pastor to reason with him and that didn't work out.

There was once a patient who came to a hospital with Diabetes and needed insulin injections but his religious leader warned him that he should not allow himself to be injected with anything, if not he will die. Doctors couldn't do anything even though his condition wasn't getting better. The doctors kept on counseling him and his family for several days before they finally agreed. And the injections were started and then he started improving.

There have been pregnant women who come to deliver in the hospital. When labor is not progressing and doctors tell them about CS, they refuse saying that their pastors told them that they will deliver like the Hebrew women. There is nothing else the doctor can do except to keep counseling them and keep hoping that they change their minds.

As for you saying hospitals are not being sued in Nigeria, I think you need to get your facts straight.
That it doesn't make news headlines doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I know several hospitals and doctors that have been sued in this Nigeria.

Common sense is not really common sha.

What you're calling DNR is obtainable when the patient is going into cardiac arrest and will need resuscitation. If he signed a DNR, that means he won't be resuscitated. He will just be allowed to die.
This is not the case here.
Please learn when things are applicable in medicine.
Don't watch medical movies and then start claiming that you know all about it.

Everything is the fault of the doctor.
When the doctor does what he is supposed to do and follows the decision of the patient's next of kin as he is ethically supposed to do and something goes wrong, it is the doctor's fault and you people will blame the doctor.

Had it been that the doctor didn't pay attention to the wife's decision and went ahead to give the man drugs and the man eventually dies, the woman will now write a long epistle on Facebook about how the doctor killed her husband and it is still you people that will still come here to blame the doctor.

You people are sick with your half-baked knowledge.
People who don't know and don't know that they don't know.
It's a pity.

2 Likes

Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by Nobody: 10:26am On May 31, 2018
There is everything wrong with over-reliance on religion, spirits, and God. If it worked, everything we wish for and have faith in would materialize. Ever wondered why countries like the U.S. became very powerful? It is over-dependence on empirical science and technology. That is: observable, predictable, manipulatable, tested, and man-created things - not dependence on God or some spirit or abstract religion.

They built their country and military weapons using science and technology and that is why they control the world. Even their best schools - Havard and Standford which were started by churches are used to emphasize secular humanism and to teach and focus on science and technology, not God or religion or dependence on spirits.

Read through the history of the post-medieval period leading up to the Renaissance period and you'll see that Europeans fought hard to de-emphasize religion and when science started taking hold, the Church fought hard to maintain its strangle hold on society.

It even went as far as punishing scientists - Galileo Galilei was sentenced to death (later reduced to house arrest) by the Church because he defined the universe based on its physical observable characteristics, which ran contrary to the Churchs' orthodoxy and its indoctrinations.

Once their eyes opened, Europeans fought off reliance on religion and God and it is why the industrial revolution occurred there. The Industrial revolution could have occurred in the Arab world or in Asia, but religion and over-emphasis on religion, spirits, and God stopped it.

It is the reason why China today insists that religion must remain separated from the state, because if their President start saying that "God will help us to get electricity or to build factories, that will be the end of their advancement.

There is no country where God, spirits or religion creates infrastructure. It is only in Africa that we hear it and that is why we are not developed. We must de-emphasize religion and spirits and instead promote the ingenuity of the human mind through science and technology.

egopersonified:
Guys, there is nothing wrong with religion, its just how you apply it. Don't forget to use your brain, even God would be angry with you. The painful thing would be those that would have lost their lives or livelihood over church doctrines that will be reversed years later.

No more pain, rest on sir.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by brodalokie: 10:31am On May 31, 2018
JamesReacher:
They brought Christianity and the Arabs brought Islam. Our oracle and divination has been with us since. You can prove it to me from the Bible( that was written by a white man?) You are going around in circles .

This particular world which is about to end in an apocalypse of fire began in the middle east after a global flood. Ham founded Egypt, then his grandson, Nimrod established the first empire in Babylon. Oracles were called upon in his name since then, he is called Osiris in his grandfather's kingdom, Tammuz in then Assyrian now Syria and Palestine who are also the descendants of Cannan (Nimrod's uncle and Ham's son), later known in other tribes or countries as follows; Baal, Bel, Adonis. In the third empire Greece (Europe), he was called Kronus, then power shifted to the Roman empire and there he was called Saturn and in other text Janus. Saturn is the king of gods, there are others with various functions all originating in the middle east but have been passed from country to country as humans migrated. The ones we have here is the same thing but we have a local name we call him.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by TheEminentLaity: 10:36am On May 31, 2018
watch how the religious would blame the victim. How is this different from the foolishness of sowing seed or paying tithes? This Jesus delusion has ruined many lives and continue to do so in Nigeria.

Yeah right, the man had no faith, or he was foolish to listen to the pastor or God knows best. You wonder why scientists make an effort to discover drugs if Jesus can heal them undecided
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by uloewa: 10:38am On May 31, 2018
nobilis:

SMH.

This is incredible.

Una well done.

And you can cross-check it with what is obtainable in every other part of the world.

If you bring someone to a hospital in an emergency or he is unconscious, and you're the person's next of kin/emergency contact, it is your duty and responsibility to make decisions concerning that patient.

That's the first thing.
For any other steps to be taken have, you, as the next of kin/emergency contact, are the one that will make the decision to take those steps.

The only thing that the doctor will do is to lay out the different courses of action that could be taken and the probable consequences of each course of action.
This is called "INFORMED CONSENT" and it is a very important part of Medical Ethics.

The doctor cannot override the decision of a patient's next of kin/emergency contact unless he can prove that the next of kin/emergency contact is not mentally fit at that point in time to make such decisions and this has to be done in a court of law or if the patient is a minor (even when the patient is a minor, you still need a court injunction to override the decision of the patient's next of kin)

The only time that the doctor will make a decision to treat without recourse to any of the patient's relatives is if they are not there with the patient or if they could not be contacted as at the time the patient is presenting to the hospital.

The person you're calling non-medical personnel is the patient's wife. She is the one that decides the type of care the patient is going to receive. You don't touch a patient when the next of kin/emergency contact says you should not do so.

For example, you don't see a Jehovah's witness who was brought unconscious to the hospital by her husband and you know she needs blood transfusion to be able survive and then you proceed to transfuse her even when the husband refuses.

The doctor in this case, tried to do the right thing, but there is no way he can go against the decision of the wife. And he even went ahead to try to find out what was influencing the wife's decisions and tried to reach the pastor to reason with him and that didn't work out.

There was once a patient who came to a hospital with Diabetes and needed insulin injections but his religious leader warned him that he should not allow himself to be injected with anything, if not he will die. Doctors couldn't do anything even though his condition wasn't getting better. The doctors kept on counseling him and his family for several days before they finally agreed. And the injections were started and then he started improving.

There have been pregnant women who come to deliver in the hospital. When labor is not progressing and doctors tell them about CS, they refuse saying that their pastors told them that they will deliver like the Hebrew women. There is nothing else the doctor can do except to keep counseling them and keep hoping that they change their minds.

As for you saying hospitals are not being sued in Nigeria, I think you need to get your facts straight.

What you're calling DNR is obtainable when the patient is going into cardiac arrest and will need resuscitation. If he signed a DNR, that means he won't be resuscitated. He will just be allowed to die.

When the doctor does what he is supposed to do and something goes wrong, it is the doctor's fault.

Had it been that the doctor didn't pay attention to the wife's decision and went ahead to give the man drugs and the man eventually dies, the woman will now write a long epistle on Facebook about how the doctor killed his husband and it is still you people that will still come here to blame the doctor.

It's a pity.

MR FULL BAKED KNOWLEDGE- GO AND READ ABOUT EXCEPTIONS TO INFORMED CONSENT AND THERAPEUTIC PRIVILEDGE before you come here and call people names. - below is a guide that can help increase your knowledge.

"Following legal developments in the United States, there are certain well recognized types of situations where informed consent need not be solicited from the patient. The exception based on the incompetence of the patient has already been discussed in the previous chapter. Aside from patient incompetence, there are three other legally sanctioned types of exceptions: (1) in an “emergency”, when there is insufficient time to pursue an informed consent, at least if one is to avoid significant morbidity and mortality to the patient in the interim; (2) when a competent patient “waives” the right to an informed consent for some reason, and consents to what the physician wants to do without further information; and (3) when the physician claims the “therapeutic privilege” not to inform the patient on the ground that the informing process itself would likely harm the patient in an unacceptable way. We will deal with each of these possible exceptions in this chapter, being particularly concerned to state their sense and justifying conditions as specifically as possible, lest such exceptions come to undermine the rule of gaining informed consent."

COMPETENCE of the patient is a prerequisite of gaining informed consent. If you decide to get consent from the next of kin in an emergency situation- you have to ensure the person is COMPETENT! Can a woman who decides to follow a pastor whom the dr himself says does not sound like someone with a WAEC certificate be adjudged COMPETENT to make that kind of decision?

Your doctor friend went on to tell us how he tried to revive the patient- why didnt he wait for the wife to consult the pastor before he did that. Negliegence unfortunately is becoming a way of life for doctors. The way the dr reported the incident shows that he was nonchalant and could not be bothered about the outcome. If he worked in a system where every death is subjected to an inquest- i bet you his approach would have been different
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by ImaIma1(f): 10:38am On May 31, 2018
nazablossom:
Some people don't use their senses again all in the name of religion. My colleague at work yesterday was telling me that he has been strong (that's religious way of saying you are sick) I didn't tell him sorry or asked how he is doing, I'm not trying to be insensitive here but how can you sympathize with someone that is STRONG. Just call a spade a spade, it won't kill you.

You should have asked if he was weak before now.
Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by TheEminentLaity: 10:47am On May 31, 2018
Same statement schizophrenics make to prove they are not crazy. How did you come about that? How do you separate religion from God?

Let's face our reality in Nigeria, Religion (all based on this God you know is real) is the major cause of avoidable deaths in the country. Stop being an enabler as it's convenient for you to say 'God is real' because you are not the victim.

masada:

While God my favorite imaginary friend is real

Religion is so overrated

It was a means to an end for those who brought religion to us

While they have moved on with advancement and development

We stil stuck in it

Emancipate yourself from from religion slavery

Re: Stroke Patient Dies In Lagos After Pastor Stopped Him From Taking Injection by brodalokie: 10:51am On May 31, 2018
nobilis:

SMH.

This is incredible.

Una well done.

That's the first thing.

When the doctor does what he is supposed to do and follows the decision of the patient's next of kin as he is ethically supposed to do and something goes wrong, it is the doctor's fault and you people will blame the doctor.

Had it been that the doctor didn't pay attention to the wife's decision and went ahead to give the man drugs and the man eventually dies, the woman will now write a long epistle on Facebook about how the doctor killed her husband and it is still you people that will still come here to blame the doctor.

It's a pity.

In case of emergency the doctors are under oath to go to work on the patient even while or before you're being questioned. You may be sued for not bringing him in on time.
In advanced countries every citizen have files that can be accessed automatically by the right person, giving out your social security number to the doctor can give them all your records history and since most people are credit worthy, the doctor just go to work on them and the government or financial institution pays the hospital. The government is all about saving lives, that's why they have so many many bodies carrying out life saving jobs, ie red cross, salvation army, road safety, paramedics, etc etc the lists are endless

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stay Away From Boli, Suya, They Can Cause Cancer – SOGHIN Warn Nigerian / Teenager Commits Suicide In Kano / You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.