Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,357 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. (42276 Views)

White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? / Meet Michael Chukwuebuka Who Sells Bottled, Pure Water In Suit In Lagos (Photos) / Pure Water Seller Wearing Makeup Surprises Twitter Users (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by steefi07: 7:01pm On Jun 02, 2018
Forget this country before that your 9m will lost in business
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Buffalowings3(m): 7:07pm On Jun 02, 2018
fopishow:
True, not everyone who works in a bank is an analyst. Most people who work in banks are not in the back office. The issue about your calculation is that the rate is per annum and not quaterly as you stated i.e 10% is per annum. To get quaterly rate you divide the 10% against each quarter.

If na me
To prevemt stories that touch
Jam 5milla for treasury biills
500k annually don stand be that. This is d minimum grin

4 milla to kun nko

Buy land 1 milla wait for it to appreciate as stand by.

Jam 1 milla for mutual funds. This one i no dey ever touch am. Na for future use.

Jam i milla for land to use farm.. now it is raining season. bury maize for ground.

Den i go dey watch remaining 1 milla.

I go still dey do my work

Op, warn yaself. Never do buisness in nigeria
Dem go fustrate your life

I don tlak my own.
Na this country i go make am

cc
Papascode

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by fopishow(m): 7:08pm On Jun 02, 2018
True, not everyone who works in a bank is an analyst. Most people who work in banks are not in the back office. The issue about your calculation is that the rate is per annum and not quaterly as you stated i.e 10% is per annum. To get quaterly rate you divide the 10% against each quarter.
mfm04622:

The man works in a bank, so he should know the correct thing
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by olarwhumy6(f): 7:13pm On Jun 02, 2018
JWTheocracy1:

Tell your church to loan me that same money. I will give them 1million profit in 5months and have mine too.
okay, i hear you
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Buffalowings3(m): 7:17pm On Jun 02, 2018
ikechizoba:
Just got this now,from another thread, it might be helpful

As in eh
It is like the govt doesnt want someone to make it.
Sometimes i begin to ask my self,
What is government?
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by papascode: 7:32pm On Jun 02, 2018
greggng:

Thank you for coming to seek advice here. You would 've made the greatest mistake of your life if you had started that pure water business. My former landlord lived all his life abroad. Due to pressure from family, he decided to come home to stay and invest infact he ran away after spending so much on diesel for powering his pure water business. He eventually sold that portion and escape back to Europe. There is no conducive business environment here. Going to Canada is the best option. But you 've to first get to USA. And find a way to cross over to Canada from new York. My friend did that and I 've details on how he made it. However you 've to declare yourself to the authorities at the Canadian border . There after necessary documentation will be made, lawyer assigned to you and temporary stay of two years pending when your PR will be ready. During this period you will be taking care of by gov't You will 've a job and you will be doing 100 percent better than a rich man here. . That way 70percent percent of your 9million will be in a savings account just for you. The only difficult part of this trip is getting to USA from naija. I mean getting visa

You got me bro. Like I said I am not a lazy man. Some one doubted how i saved well I don't go to clubs every month my salary is paid and I do other businesses with my salary Like the office contribution and all. My problem is not setting it up but the employees can be funny and other factors.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Boss13: 7:35pm On Jun 02, 2018
chrischukszy01:

Oga there is no way u can save up to #9 million as a contract staff even if you have been in the bank for the past 11 yes, now as a contract staff FBN pays 80k plus, Access bank, pays about 60k plus,UBA 70 k plus and the host of others, so how did you manage to come with such an amount as a contract staff, do want to tell me you don't do other expenditure as a human even if na only garri u dey soak. So 9 mill I didnt buy that. U for say like 900k,except you are into fruad perid !

Well this should not be any of your concern or business. The man claims he has N9M in savings. Do you have any other plans rather than offer him some advice?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Leovibes(m): 7:40pm On Jun 02, 2018
Poultry business sure pass pure water.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by papascode: 7:42pm On Jun 02, 2018
edoman2016:

How were you able to save 9 million Naira as a contract staff in a bank? Contract staff in Nigerian banks are poorly paid. Majority of contract staff earn between 70k-80k. I doubt your story.

1.I don't party when my salary is paid.
2. I help people buy land and make commission.
3. I do contribution among staff.
4. I buy crayfish from the sea to sell upland.
5. I have 3 customers my bank couldn't offer loan so I gave in other to keep them and my job although the bank frowns at it, but any banker knows this is how you keep a customer who the bank fails to assist. Although I have got my fingers burnt who couldn't meet up but I had to give him time to pay.
6. I decided not to get married during all these because.

So bro that was how i saved.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Mires: 7:44pm On Jun 02, 2018
Appliedmaths:

At times of confusion like this the best thing to do is to sink that money somewhere and have a clear plan in order to avoid mistakes. Even my dog knows TB isn't a business venture but history has shown that people in this position get it wrong 8/10 times. If you noticed I wasn't in support of his pure water biz cuz it'll fail (don't ask me how), going to Canada isn't bad but let him make that choice with his own guts and not coerced to, I can't have 9m in Nigeria and travel to Canada to start all over again but let him decide on his own.

As for the TB analysis, it's technically flawed I miscalculated the days in each quarter. I've been juiced over the week, preparing series if quarterly account statements. But hope you get the point? All he needs to do now is to think and plan and be prepared to live with the outcome.

It is good you have realised your mistake. Like you said, I for one can't support him to travel when he can become a real big time investor. How much did Dangote used to start up his business. Though time differs.

He can go in for TB of 182 days @ 13% while understudying a viable buis in agriculture.

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by BlackHummer(m): 7:45pm On Jun 02, 2018
papascode:
Good day all,

I have been confused on what to do with the money I have saved. I am a contract staff in one of the banks and I have saved considerable amount of money over the years I have been working there. But I am tired of my job, as same as many of my colleagues who wish they had one quarter of the money I had saved to quit the job.

I am not a lazy man I am very hardworking as adhuged by my supervisors but the issue is I have stayed on one spot for too long and no promotion. My greatest joy is that I was able to achieve a masters degree in a federal university in nigeria while working but my job doesn't give me time to even look out for other jobs.
So please guys I am throwing this up here because I know on this thread there are people who have been in my situation before that made the better choice and are happy for it.
I have two very important decisions to make either to use the money I have saved to travel abroad for school for masters and hopfully settle down there or to stay here in Nigeria to start up a pure water production factory but Nigeria and it's uncertainties keeps discouraging me. kindly note that I have saved up to 9million naira to take up any of these ventures and I am 35 years not yet married.
Please I need honest advice to a brother there are some persons like me who will benefit from this advice we render.
Thank you

my friend, drop that pure water idea and go to the promise land

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by papascode: 8:05pm On Jun 02, 2018
YoungDaddyB:
for me I'd advise you look for a federal job( they are way less stressful and offers time), any kind and then start you business. 9mill is enough for any reasonable business. Canada is not by force by fire but if you've always thought about leaving Nigeria as a young boy, then take your chances with Canada, apply for a retail job, gain the Canadian work experience, apply for professional certifications like pmp, cim or any other top certification while in Canada, 1 to 2 years in, apply for a better organisational job.

Believe me if I have a federal job I won't look at any foreign country. I would rather visit for business to bring to Nigeria and that will be china or japan i have applied on every platform I have also been dubed by fake job agents .

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by mfm04622: 8:05pm On Jun 02, 2018
fopishow:

I didn't calculate that! I know the interest rate is per annum, not per quarter. Also the rate is higher than 10% at present
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by ukommbo(m): 8:06pm On Jun 02, 2018
wildcatter23:
I have been in the pure water business since 2003. The success of this business does not really lie in your hands but your ability to get work done through people. Anyway, with the benefit of hindsight, I would advise you, to take yourself out of this shït hole country called Nigeria. Good luck in canada. If you can make save 9 mill here. You can do the same in canada

Pls clear from this country!!!!!!!!! Thanks me later
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by amedualiyi: 8:10pm On Jun 02, 2018
papascode:

1.I don't party when my salary is paid.
2. I help people buy land and make commission.
3. I do contribution among staff.
4. I buy crayfish from the sea to sell upland.
5. I have 3 customers my bank couldn't offer loan so I gave in other to keep them and my job although the bank frowns at it, but any banker knows this is how you keep a customer who the bank fails to assist. Although I have got my fingers burnt who couldn't meet up but I had to give him time to pay.
6. I decided not to get married during all these because.

So bro that was how i saved.

You don't need any business ideal when you are into various business already.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Dammiesugar(f): 8:19pm On Jun 02, 2018
Op kindly stop telling people about how much you saved and how you want to live your life. Take your time to think about what will benefit you and your generations and if possible leave this country. Pure Water business isn’t as lucrative as you think, talking from my Uncle’s experience! Incase you need a wife, I’m available though �

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by arena07: 8:20pm On Jun 02, 2018
solepager:

You get 13.5 percent of the capital you invest in every month.
It also increases sometimes. The sure thing is your capital won't be hurt whatever happens since it is invest in FG bonds and etc. ARM also does it.

Imagine you invest 500k. Do the maths
13.5% per month or per year?
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Timular: 8:33pm On Jun 02, 2018
papascode:
Good day all,

I have been confused on what to do with the money I have saved. I am a contract staff in one of the banks and I have saved considerable amount of money over the years I have been working there. But I am tired of my job, as same as many of my colleagues who wish they had one quarter of the money I had saved to quit the job.

I am not a lazy man I am very hardworking as adhuged by my supervisors but the issue is I have stayed on one spot for too long and no promotion. My greatest joy is that I was able to achieve a masters degree in a federal university in nigeria while working but my job doesn't give me time to even look out for other jobs.
So please guys I am throwing this up here because I know on this thread there are people who have been in my situation before that made the better choice and are happy for it.
I have two very important decisions to make either to use the money I have saved to travel abroad for school for masters and hopfully settle down there or to stay here in Nigeria to start up a pure water production factory but Nigeria and it's uncertainties keeps discouraging me. kindly note that I have saved up to 9million naira to take up any of these ventures and I am 35 years not yet married.
Please I need honest advice to a brother there are some persons like me who will benefit from this advice we render.
Thank you
Pls look for a pure water company that will employ u for few months. Work with them for u to gain experience
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Boss13: 8:36pm On Jun 02, 2018
The OP needs to evaluate his life decisions. In my own opinion, I think he is dissatisfied with the nature of his employment, that is being a contract staff and would prefer a clear career pathway where he can grow. If this is the way he feels. All he needs is to get another job. He has the skills, experience and also the academic qualification. He is now a Master Degree Holder.

I know a lot of people in Nigeria always believe that living outside the shores of Nigeria is a quick pathway to riches. That’s a fallacy. The first question any individual should ask themselves is what does success mean to them? Success is relative for all individuals.

The OP’s savings of N9M is approximately $CAD31,000 and not sufficient for tuition fees in a top 10 school in Canada for a Master’s degree that I feel is irrelevant for him. He has not taken into consideration, Visa processing fee, flight ticket, accommodation fees per month, feeding and commuting fees. Even if he works, the number of hours is restricted and the amount he gets to make only cover accommodation plus living expense. A better option is the PR route if he is interested in Canada. However, if he has the notion of “Money Dey Abroad” or “Once I land, I don arrive” - then he is making a ridiculous mistake, because he will start his life afresh from the beginning. He would find out that his N9M is small money in Canada. He would have to adapt to Change and the nitty-gritty of living in a western world.

If the OP is considering the business route. He must be prepared for the challenges of doing business in Nigeria. I think the mistake we make is to look at the final outcome of people and not the process of them getting to that outcome. We see our friends who are now successful in a particular business, we jump straight into it and get trapped and caught up. Starting a business is not having money in the Bank and then using that funds to start any business. In fact, you do not need money to start a business. If you are an entrepreneur, all you need is your passion, drive and never give up attitude to implement your idea and not money. I hope the OP notes this, else he would be down by N9M and no job to fall back on especially in Nigeria where the conditions are already designed to make you fail in Business quick.

The OP must assess his Entrepreneurial skills and where he has none, he must work on attaining such skills because not everybody can successfully run a business in Nigeria or even in any part of the world. In other words, not everybody should be a Businessman. I know it’s a term used loosely in Nigeria. We all want to own our own business and hammer. You can also live a decent life as an employee in Nigeria. However this is also dependent on your decision and definition of the word “Success”.

If you are considering Canada, think properly again. Nobody in Canada will tell you the actual truth. Even Refugees in Canada living in camps and surviving on Government stipends will tell you their condition is better. Also Nigerian-Canadian who are PRs will not actually own up to you with the truth. However, what I know about Canada is that you cannot escape BILLS and TAXES. The moment you step your feet on Canadian soil, the bills starts running even before you earn a dime. I know Bankers who are working in Walmarts and Best Buy in Canada, but if you speak to them, they would tell you that their present life is better than that in Nigeria. Please be informed that I am not saying they are doing badly, but to bring out points on facing life decisions. However, because we have this “Bandwagon Effect” or “Herding” where we always follow what is trending without thinking, there is now a huge influx of professionals going to Canada. There is nothing wrong with that if there is a concrete plan. Nothwithstanding, it is your decision to make, nobody would live your life for you, regardless of location or status.

In any of the decision the OP makes, he must consider the downside and be prepared for them else he would remain unhappy.

6 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Boss13: 8:38pm On Jun 02, 2018
papascode:

Believe me if I have a federal job I won't look at any foreign country. I would rather visit for business to bring to Nigeria and that will be china or japan i have applied on every platform I have also been dubed by fake job agents .

Ok like I have said in my previous comment - Job satisfaction is your main concern. Why don’t you work towards getting a Federal Job. It’s possible if that’s what you want rather than wishing it happen. If a Federal Job would make you happy than going abroad - go and get a Federal Job.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by solepager(m): 8:41pm On Jun 02, 2018
arena07:
13.5% per month or per year?

Every 30days
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Bigval5: 8:41pm On Jun 02, 2018
delors:

Lets chat as pals. I currently live in Canada and by God's grace a full time permanent employee of the govt.

I came in for masters - U of Waterloo back in 2012. Before then I was in lagos hustling big gtime. Had one of the best results from oau - first class - but no job after nysc.

So here's my 2 cents:
You are 35yrs old and have N9m and currently employed. If u relocate here, it will take u almost 5yrs to be stable - School, job, PR, etc... That's for sure. So unless u r willkng to spend another 5yrs to do all these, stay at home bro.

You claim to have 9m. If i had 2m back then I swear f***k abroad. I'd stay at home. Many people don't have half of ur money yet they are doing perfectly well. Why would u want to throw that away?

If you are not getting promotions at work, improve urself with qualifications. With 9m my network of business and social connections go badt pass anything. Improve ur network. Roll with people who would give u better job opportunities.

At 35yrs + N9m u wan go start from the scratch in a strange land ? Your momsy no dey follow u talk? Shouldn't u be planning on settling down?

Canada is best for young people coming in before 27yrs...anything later, u 'll be delayed (settling in) by almost 5yrs if u r lucky. So do the arothmetic bros.

Cheers.

God Bless you for me big time!!!!

Best Advice so far

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by KratosCorp: 8:46pm On Jun 02, 2018
Glad to be late to the party.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Take a personal finance inventory.

What's your current maximum take home pay?

Let's assume it's 250k, then you have (9000,000 / 250,000 = 36) 3 years in which you can maintain your current lifestyle without working (of course this does not factor in the cases of possible inflation and other unforseen circumstances).

2) Take a skill inventory.

What can you do so well that people will feel so happy paying you directly or indirectly to do it?No, your time and energy do not count. If all you have now is your time, energy and your savings, then the chances of failing in any business is 90% or more.

3) Take a viability inventory

Prove that people can actually pay for your skill/idea

If you do have a well honed skill or talent, can you set it up as a side operation without resigning from your job just yet? You can do this with a team of freelancers (buy their time, talent and energy for a while) just to test the viability of your idea at a minimum level.

4) Be realistic

Working hard in a bank (at non-management level) and saving hard as you do it is very commendable. But that's not enough to design, deploy and run a successful business in Nigeria. If you are not positive in number 2 and 3 above, then I'd honestly advice you to move to Canada as soon as possible. At least their system will give you a strong leverage to build yourself up in many ways. And you can always return to/reinvest in Nigeria when you have become more established.

Good luck.

papascode:
Good day all,

Thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by alausaone(m): 8:48pm On Jun 02, 2018
Good evening poster, My best advice for you, doing a master abroad not a problem, what people don't know it's easy to plan and have a good life in Nigeria if you have money than planing of moving abroad, because getting admission paying your schools fees flights accommodations and etc your 9m or whatever you get is gone, you talk about settling down meaning finding someone and raise your family, well it takes the grace of God because moving to Canada most women will believe that you just wanna use them to get the Canadian blue passport, From my experience, this is what I will advice you to do, before you quit your job use the opportunity to build yourself international connections, first apply for a U.K. Visa on your passport, you might use it or not , but the fact that you are working with a recognized organization U.K. Will give you visa, so use the avenue to secure your Visa, while you are working try as much as u can to have a company register with cooperate affairs commission , the business certificate will help you in future when you want to renew your visa,or apply for new one, while u are doing this continue to make research about the business you wanna do, apart from pure water business there are a lot of people I know you can do which in a month unare sure of millions profit with less risk , in conclusion I will advice you to invest your money in Nigeria monitor your business yourself, and with the U.K. Travel history Canada will will give u visa, so when you have Canada visa u can there on a visit if you meet any woman you like established friendship and come back to Nigeria and continue doing your things, I think I will drop here

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by wiseworld: 8:48pm On Jun 02, 2018
Okay! some ppl dnt have up to that amount and travel to reasonable country like canada as you mention and today they are well financial okay,talking about pure water business! only if you plan on small scale yea 9m is enough but !!! and those business have disadvantage! eg marketing and location,mss manage which some liltle of these pure h2¤ company being close down cos of these! most of all try to follow God plan for ur life!wish you all best man.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by Shalomc(f): 8:58pm On Jun 02, 2018
shugacain:

could that be your own advise
Here to learn. My sojourn abroad... I have realized that going abroad without a plan of what you are going to do is an exercise in futility..
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by papascode: 8:59pm On Jun 02, 2018
amedualiyi:

You don't need any business ideal when you are into various business already.

Those are not the future Businesses or income God promised me.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by papascode: 9:14pm On Jun 02, 2018
Boss13:

Ok like I have said in my previous comment - Job satisfaction is your main concern. Why don’t you work towards getting a Federal Job. It’s possible if that’s what you want rather than wishing it happen. If a Federal Job would make you happy than going abroad - go and get a Federal Job.

Bros alot of contract staff will show gratification for any contacts for a federal job. If I have one I will give in all my best to my boss and be punctual. If you have the contact assist and God will bless you. I am not keen on the abroad wahala else I would have left the country after my uni. But you see i got this job 5 days to my passing out of the NYSC because I did subsidized programmes to boost my cv like PMP NIM and was the best teacher and belonged to the MDG programme by planting 500 trees to fight climate change in my state of service back then, all these with certificates fascinated my employer. And now i have a PGD and masters respectively from the same Fed university. I meet my targets in my place of work but lately we have received warning letters to meet up a new target as the months ends your target increases. See I feel so bad about my country. I love naija because of the happy people you find around but hey we have uncreative leaders. I traveled from benin republic to Ghana for business outlook I almost cried as there was no pothhole from.Benin to Ghana. I repeat no pothhole. So if you have a federal job for me I no mind.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by amedualiyi: 9:23pm On Jun 02, 2018
7m can get you 3 grade A tokunbo Toyota corrola for uber business. Make it balance and carry. I have 2 dat I gave out for 4m each and each driver is delivery 250k monthly. 1.5yrs you made you capital and over 70% profit. I bought the 2 cars for 4.5m and am expecting 8m in return for only 1.5yrs. 7 months gone already.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by papascode: 9:23pm On Jun 02, 2018
Dammiesugar:
Op kindly stop telling people about how much you saved and how you want to live your life. Take your time to think about what will benefit you and your generations and if possible leave this country. Pure Water business isn’t as lucrative as you think, talking from my Uncle’s experience! Incase you need a wife, I’m available though �

Thanks for the offer and courage dammiesugar.
Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by shugacain: 9:26pm On Jun 02, 2018
Shalomc:

Here to learn. My sojourn abroad... I have realized that going abroad without a plan of what you are going to do is an exercise in futility..

Even in Nigeria if you are going to market without having plans of what to buy is exercise in futility

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. by AlphaMajestic: 9:31pm On Jun 02, 2018
ogbonti:

Those that have ears, let them hear, best advise so far

my guy ur reply caught my attention... u sound like nobdy can tell u otherwise...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Is The Most Suitable Job For A Married Woman With Kids? / 200 Thousand Minimum Wage Breakdown By Chatgpt / Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.