Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,497 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists (5224 Views)

Atheists And Theists, How Will You Handle This Scenario? / There’s No Much Difference Between Atheists And Theists. / God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 2:18pm On Jun 11, 2018
It’s simple.
Both sides are immensely insecure with their beliefs or lack thereof.
They need constant reassurances that they are right and the other side wrong.
Beneath this bravado you see here is real fear of being wrong.

So an atheist minding their own business coming across the Theists doing their thing panics and hurls invectives to either stop them or dominate them and feel safe.

Similarly, Theists doing their thing come cross atheists challenging their thing and they throw tantrums.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by hopefulLandlord: 2:25pm On Jun 11, 2018
I'm an atheist, I have no animosity towards theists, I have animosity towards religious belief. I'm of the strong opinion that religious belief is detrimental to the human race and any benefit people think religion is the only source of actually has other sources but people can't be arsed to finding them

I don't hurl invectives at theists either

I guess I can only speak for myself though

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by chemystery: 3:41pm On Jun 11, 2018
We are not against theist. We are only against their evil and ridiculous ideas. Like this one:

3 Likes

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Seun(m): 4:08pm On Jun 11, 2018
M0ron:
So an atheist minding their own business coming across the Theists doing their thing panics and hurls invectives to either stop them or dominate them and feel safe.
Please provide some actual examples of this alleged behaviour. Also, you are either a theist or an atheist yourself, you know. Are you insecure?

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Primesky(m): 5:00pm On Jun 11, 2018
It seems some people enjoy seeing theists and atheists engage in E- war. I am a Christian, I am secure and I feel secured. I do not hate atheists as individuals, rather, I pray to see them come to the truth about their source which is God.

3 Likes

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 6:46am On Jun 12, 2018
Seun:

Please provide some actual examples of this alleged behaviour. Also, you are either a theist or an atheist yourself, you know. Are you insecure?
It’s strewn all over here
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 6:47am On Jun 12, 2018
Primesky:
It seems some people enjoy seeing theists and atheists engage in E- war. I am a Christian, I am secure and I feel secured. I do not hate atheists as individuals, rather, I pray to see them come to the truth about their source which is God.
I am a Christian who enjoys sparring with atheists
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 6:47am On Jun 12, 2018
chemystery:
We are not against theist. We are only against their evil and ridiculous ideas. Like this one:

Religion should be criticized no doubt

1 Like

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 6:48am On Jun 12, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
I'm an atheist, I have no animosity towards theists, I have animosity towards religious belief. I'm of the strong opinion that religious belief is detrimental to the human race and any benefit people think religion is the only source of actually has other sources but people can't be arsed to finding them

I don't hurl invectives at theists either

I guess I can only speak for myself though
Religious belief is not held by dogs or trees but by people,by theists. So your animosity for theism is easily mistaken for animosity towards Theists
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by hopefulLandlord: 7:21am On Jun 12, 2018
M0ron:

Religious belief is not held by dogs or trees but by people,by theists. So your animosity for theism is easily mistaken for animosity towards Theists
They're the ones mistakenly interpreting it that way so there's little I can do about that
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by NPComplete: 8:12am On Jun 12, 2018
M0ron:

So, in essence, this thread is just a projection of your own insecurities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by dalaman: 9:51am On Jun 12, 2018
Here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Anas09: 10:29am On Jun 12, 2018
M0ron:
It’s simple.
Both sides are immensely insecure with their beliefs or lack thereof.
They need constant reassurances that they are right and the other side wrong.
Beneath this bravado you see here is real fear of being wrong.

Similarly, Theists doing their thing come cross atheists challenging their thing and they throw tantrums.
Sorry dear, i have no insecurities as to whether or not my God exist. If you have been and seen what i have seen, you'd understand what i mean.

I don't need reassuring to know Jesus is alive.

2 Likes

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 10:55am On Jun 12, 2018
Anas09:

Sorry dear, i have no insecurities as to whether or not my God exist. If you have been and seen what i have seen, you'd understand what i mean.

I don't need reassuring to know Jesus is alive.
Amen

1 Like

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 10:55am On Jun 12, 2018
NPComplete:

So, in essence, this thread is just a projection of your own insecurities.

This is not projection but fact. Why would you burn midnight oil barking at those who don’t share your worldview?

2 Likes

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Primesky(m): 11:04am On Jun 12, 2018
M0ron:

OK, that's your decision. But Jesus didn't ask us to win arguments and quarrels, rather, He asked us to win souls.
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by chemystery: 11:57am On Jun 12, 2018
Primesky:

OK, that's your decision. But Jesus didn't ask us to win arguments and quarrels, rather, He asked us to win souls.
Jesus actually ask some people to win arguments and if they can't, they should introduce some lying and trolling skills. You can confirm from folks like butterflyleo, felixomor, winner01, kingebukasblog, and the rest.

2 Likes

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by HappyPagan: 12:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
Primesky:

Which is even worse. If you can't win the arguments, win the mind, the very seat of reason.

Then I will begin to reason and speak like you. Sinister.
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by felixomor: 12:05pm On Jun 12, 2018
chemystery:

[s]Jesus actually ask some people to win arguments and if they can't, they should introduce some lying and trolling skills. You can confirm from folks like butterflyleo, felixomor, winner01, kingebukasblog, and the rest.[/s]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by NPComplete: 12:12pm On Jun 12, 2018
M0ron:

This is not projection but fact. Why would you burn midnight oil barking at those who don’t share your worldview?

So this thread is a fact about your own insecurities. Okay.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 12:32pm On Jun 12, 2018
NPComplete:

So this thread is a fact about your own insecurities. Okay.
grin
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 12:33pm On Jun 12, 2018
Primesky:

You must REASON with others, how else do you win souls,by osmosis?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Primesky(m): 12:47pm On Jun 12, 2018
HappyPagan:

Which is even worse. If you can't win the arguments, win the mind, the very seat of reason.

Then I will begin to reason and speak like you. Sinister.

Understand the context of my position. We argue but that's not the aim of our engaging you. If you choose not to accept the truth we preach, we let you be, after all, it's a choice. But that can hardly be said of the non born again. You can pass across the message of hope, love and salvation without fighting with words. There are no other arguments other than what the bible has presented.

Apostle Paul very well 'argued' with the jews and others, but not in a hostile manner. That's not what Jesus asked us to do. But that's not to say, if you bring up falsehood about my faith and God's word, I will fold my hands and watch you, I will defend my faith and reprove you.

The difference between the born again and the non born again in this context, is in the way they interact. While one will curse and abuse, armtwist and bend facts and truth all in a bid to win an argument because you wouldn't accept his position, the born again will maintain his position in love and respect knowing he/she is dealing with what cannot be gainsayed.
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by HappyPagan: 12:54pm On Jun 12, 2018
Primesky:

Understand the context of my position. We argue but that's not the aim of our engaging you. If you choose not to accept the truth we preach, we let you be, after all, it's a choice.
And therein lies the problem, you believe that what you preach is TRUTH. And the rest of us who do not share this 'belief' are doomed to eternal fire. It's this eternal fire you choose to save us from, the reason you go public with your private beliefs.

There's no 'choice' when you claim to have 'TRUTH'. By default, you term me a liar, a lover of falsehood. My non-belief in your religion makes me damned. The 'choice' you give me is an illusion.

Primesky:

But that can hardly be said of the non born again. You can pass across the message of hope, love and salvation without fighting with words. There are no other arguments other than what the bible has presented.
This is cool.

Primesky:

Apostle Paul very well 'argued' with the jews and others, but not in a hostile manner. That's not what Jesus asked us to do. But that's not to say, if you bring up falsehood about my faith and God's word, I will fold my hands and watch you, I will defend my faith and reprove you.
Okay.

Primesky:

The difference between the born again and the non born again in this context, is in the way they interact. While one will curse and abuse, armtwist and bend facts and truth all in a bid to win an argument because you wouldn't accept his position, the born again will maintain his position in love and respect knowing he/she is dealing with what cannot be gainsayed.
Aight.
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Primesky(m): 12:59pm On Jun 12, 2018
chemystery:

Jesus actually ask some people to win arguments and if they can't, they should introduce some lying and trolling skills. You can confirm from folks like butterflyleo, felixomor, winner01, kingebukasblog, and the rest.

Jesus never asked anybody to that. We have no need of lying to defend the truth. Whether you believe it or not, the truth cannot be gainsayed and nothing can be done against the truth.

If I argue with you, it is not because I must win the argument, which unfortunately, is what most atheists do. My aim is that you get saved. That shouldn't make me do everything at all cost including lying, twisting, cursing and insulting all in a bid to win an argument.

I accept that not all persons will accept the truth I present, which is rather unfortunate for such. However, I will not by wisdom of man try to convince any man. The Holy Spirit of God is able to do that with the simple undeniable truth of God's word.

That said, I want you to know that Jesus Christ loves you and He's willing to save you today if you come to Him. Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Primesky(m): 1:24pm On Jun 12, 2018
HappyPagan:

And therein lies the problem, you believe that what you preach is TRUTH. And the rest of us who do not share this 'belief' are doomed to eternal fire. It's this eternal fire you choose to save us from, the reason you go public with your private beliefs.

There's no 'choice' when you claim to have 'TRUTH'. By default, you term me a liar, a lover of falsehood. My non-belief in your religion makes me damned. The 'choice' you give me is an illusion.

This is cool.

Okay.

Aight.

Life itself has shown you that we have choices to make. Some make the wrong choices daily and do not know it. Such deserves to be told about their choices. However, there are those who make choices, who know they've made a wrong choice, yet refuse to change.

You find these among cultists, armed robbers, prostitutes, religious terrorists etc. Some are totally ignorant of the consequences of their actions.

Tell me, will you call me evil and wicked and fanatical, if I approach a robber today and ask him to stop his act of robbery, and that failure to do that could lead to his untimely death?. Will you call me evil if I tell a would be suicide bomber to abandon his way because that way is evil?. Will it be wrong to tell a cultist that my life is far better than his, because I have freedom of movement, peace and quietness while he doesn't, for fear of rivals?. But you will find among these group of people some who will argue and refute your position, yet, some others will accept.

So, If I tell you that my position is right and yours is wrong, I have done no wrong. It is left for you or me to make a choice based on the information at our disposal and your personal conviction not forgetting that the consequences will be solely yours to bear.

That said, I want to say to you with all love and rspect, that except you repent, receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal saviour, you can by no means be saved. Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal life.

Jesus saves!.
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by chemystery: 1:35pm On Jun 12, 2018
Primesky:

Jesus never asked anybody to that. We have no need of lying to defend the truth. Whether you believe it or not, the truth cannot be gainsayed and nothing can be done against the truth.

If I argue with you, it is not because I must win the argument, which unfortunately, is what most atheists do. My aim is that you get saved. That shouldn't make me do everything at all cost including lying, twisting, cursing and insulting all in a bid to win an argument.
Atheist don't even want to argue. We only want to make the theists think and also teach them how to think. It is only the theist that wants to win argument for their god. Even if it entails lying to achieve that.

I accept that not all persons will accept the truth I present, which is rather unfortunate for such. However, I will not by wisdom of man try to convince any man. The Holy Spirit of God is able to do that with the simple undeniable truth of God's word.
What truth do you have to present if not versions of stories told about your own version of god you were indoctrinated with. You would as well want to tell us another "truth" if you had been born in a family that believes in another version of stories told about another version of god.

That said, I want you to know that Jesus Christ loves you and He's willing to save you today if you come to Him. Shalom.
Hahahahahaha! Jesus is willing to save me from what he will do to me if I don't believe that he is willing to save me from what he will do to me....

6 Likes

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Primesky(m): 1:57pm On Jun 12, 2018
M0ron:

You must REASON with others, how else do you win souls,by osmosis?

I suppose you know the difference between 'arguments and quarrels' and 'reasoning'. I responded to your position that you like 'sparring' with athiests. That for me, is uncharitable and unchristian.Yes we argue, but not to win at all cost to the point of insulting, abusing, and like you said sparring with others.

We are not at war with the person of the athiest, which includes his soul, but against his ideology and believe. Care must be taken therefore not to present the message and gospel of peace to them in a hash and violent manner because, that's not what it is. Yes,
there are grave consequences if they don't repent. This must be made clear to them as well that is the complete truth. Sometimes we plead with them, sometimes we stanly warn them. They are not completely lost yet, except God says so, so you need to tread carefully in other not to play them into the hands of the devil.

You can be sure that some of these athiests, will one day become great preachers of God's word. You and I can not tell how God will do that. All we have to do is to passionately pass across the word in its truth and entirety even when it sounds stupid, foolish and unappealing. The world has always seen the gospel like that, but with the Holy Spirit of God, the hardest and toughest of hearts, have been brought down to their knees before Jesus Christ, including reknown athiests. It was never skillful arguments, but by the power of God working with a simple message of salvation.

Sometimes, you as a Christian, may lose an argument, but the word of truth you've given remains with the receiver and can be used by the Holy Spirit without your knowledge. After giving out the word, all you can do next is to pray for them. That's all.
If they bring up falsehood, you counter it, again with love and respect. Remember, you are a new creature, with a different lifestyle and character. That must be clearly expressed too.

The athiest as an individual is not my enemy even when he abuses and curses me, rather, his ideology and believes which is of the devil is my enemy. That's what I need to attack, not the person, because my aim is to save the person and destroy the wicked believe. It's like trying to save a scorpion from the rain, it will attack you, but you must remain who you are regardless.

May the Lord grant us grace to labour in the field of souls with love.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Primesky(m): 2:13pm On Jun 12, 2018
chemystery:

Atheist don't even want to argue. We only want to make the theists think and also teach them how to think. It is only the theist that wants to win argument for their god. Even if it entails lying to achieve that.

What truth do you have to present if not versions of stories told about your own version of god you were indoctrinated with. You would as well want to tell us another "truth" if you had been born in a family that believes in another version of stories told about another version of god.

Hahahahahaha! Jesus is willing to save me from what he will do to me if I don't believe that he is willing to save me from what he will do to me....

Were you in Nigeria when the Federal government granted amnesty to some militants?. What would have happened if they had refused to accept the offer?.

Was it the government that literally forced them into militancy?. Was their action a contravention of the laws of the nation?. Was there any consequences for contravening those laws?. Will it be good for the government to allow them continue their destructive action forever without striking them down?.

So if the government gives a period of grace and says, repent, and you will be pardoned or else, you will be taken down, and the militants refuse, will you call the government evil and wicked?.

My dear, repent and accept God's amnesty through Christ Jesus now, so that you can be saved. Do so before it's too late. I know you may want to argue and say, for what crime?. Well, so some militants asked as well and paid for it.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Jesus Christ saves!.
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 2:19pm On Jun 12, 2018
Primesky:

I suppose you know the difference between 'arguments and quarrels' and 'reasoning'. I responded to your position that you like 'sparring' with athiests. That for me, is uncharitable and unchristian.Yes we argue, but not to win at all cost to the point of insulting, abusing, and like you said sparring with others.

We are not at war with the person of the athiest, which includes his soul, but against his ideology and believe. Care must be taken therefore not to present the message and gospel of peace to them in a hash and violent manner because, that's not what it is. Yes,
there are grave consequences if they don't repent. This must be made clear to them as well that is the complete truth. Sometimes we plead with them, sometimes we stanly warn them. They are not completely lost yet, except God says so, so you need to tread carefully in other not to play them into the hands of the devil.

You can be sure that some of these athiests, will one day become great preachers of God's word. You and I can not tell how God will do that. All we have to do is to passionately pass across the word in its truth and entirety even when it sounds stupid, foolish and unappealing. The world has always seen the gospel like that, but with the Holy Spirit of God, the hardest and toughest of hearts, have been brought down to their knees before Jesus Christ, including reknown athiests. It was never skillful arguments, but by the power of God working with a simple message of salvation.

Sometimes, you as a Christian, may lose an argument, but the word of truth you've given remains with the receiver and can be used by the Holy Spirit without your knowledge. After giving out the word, all you can do next is to pray for them. That's all.
If they bring up falsehood, you counter it, again with love and respect. Remember, you are a new creature, with a different lifestyle and character. That must be clearly expressed too.

The athiest as an individual is not my enemy even when he abuses and curses me, rather, his ideology and believes which is of the devil is my enemy. That's what I need to attack, not the person, because my aim is to save the person and destroy the wicked believe. It's like trying to save a scorpion from the rain, it will attack you, but you must remain who you are regardless.

May the Lord grant us grace to labour in the field of souls with love.

You can’t win a soul without talking to them. Atheists have genuine questions that you take for granted. They have doubts about your God nd about scriptures. Sparring with atheists is the starting point.

God may save them I agree,but does that means we shouldn’t listen to and even attempt to share our faith to them?

That’s escapist

1 Like

Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by M0ron: 2:21pm On Jun 12, 2018
chemystery:

Atheist don't even want to argue. We only want to make the theists think and also teach them how to think . It is only the theist that wants to win argument for their god. Even if it entails lying to achieve that.

This is a huge assumption of atheists,especially new atheists. They imagine they have discovered the art and science of thinking. Atheism is simply a different worldview,not any smarter than theism
Re: Explaining The Animosity Between Atheists And Theists by Primesky(m): 2:29pm On Jun 12, 2018
M0ron:

You can’t win a soul without talking to them. Atheists have genuine questions that you take for granted. They have doubts about your God nd about scriptures. Sparring with atheists is the starting point.

God may save them I agree,but does that means we shouldn’t listen to and even attempt to share our faith to them?

That’s escapist

My brother, please be not angry OK. If you clearly read through my submittions above, you will not see any where I mention, or even infered that we shouldn't talk or even argue with them. But my point is, the way and manner we do it is very important, and that in doing so, we mustn't aim to win every single argument. Doing so, will lead us into fighting and quarrelling with them, that will defeat the purpose of our mission. Sorry for making you misunderstand me. Shalom.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The First Suicide Bomber Is In The Bible! / Does The Bible Endorse Human Sacrifice? / Was Mary Both The Mother Of Jesus And The Sister Of Aaron?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.