Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,947 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today (11320 Views)

Atiku Abubakar Celebrates Tinubu At 69 / Atiku Abubakar Celebrates His 74th Birthday In His Dubai Villa (Photos, Video) / Atiku Abubakar Celebrates His 73rd Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by lalasticlala(m): 7:39am On Jun 13, 2018
Abdulsalami Abubakar (Born June 13, 1942) is a retired Nigerian Army General who was Military Head of State from 9 June 1998 until 29 May 1999. He succeeded Sani Abacha upon Abacha's death. It was during Abubakar's leadership that Nigeria adopted a modified version of the 1979 constitution, which provided for multiparty elections. Abubakar transferred power to president-elect Olusegun Obasanjo on 29 May 1999.

Presidency

Nigeria had been ruled by military leaders since Muhammadu Buhari seized power from Shehu Shagari in a 1983 coup. Although democratic elections had been held in 1993, they were annulled by General Ibrahim Babangida. Reported to have had an initial reluctance to accepting the position, Abubakar was sworn in as president on 9 June 1998 after the unexpected death of Abacha. He declared a weeklong period of national mourning.

A few days after assuming office, Abubakar promised to hold elections within a year and transfer power to an elected president. He established the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), appointing former Supreme Court Justice Ephraim Akpata as chairman. The INEC held a series of elections first for Local Government Areas in December 1998, then for State Assemblies and Governors, National Assemblies and finally for the President on 27 February 1999. Although efforts were made to ensure that the elections were free and fair, there were widespread irregularities that drew criticism from foreign observers.

Surprising some critics of the country's military, Abubakar kept his word and transferred power to elected president Obasanjo on 29 May 1999. During his administration Nigeria adopted a new constitution May 5, 1999, which went into effect when Olusegun Obasanjo became president.

Legacy

Abubakar's legacy is mixed. A lecture circuit at Chicago State University in Chicago, Illinois, United States featuring him encountered opposition, because he had supported Abacha's government. (Abacha's administration was notorious for its human rights abuses). He was also sued in that country by other Nigerians who claimed he was responsible for the death of 1993 president-elect Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, who died in custody after being prevented by the military from taking office, and for the violation of the rights of others during his administration.

Abubakar helped in the Liberian peace movement by presiding over the 2003 peace talks between Charles Taylor and the opposing rebels. This is seen in the movie Pray the Devil Back to Hell.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdulsalami_Abubakar

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by hucienda: 7:42am On Jun 13, 2018
The man that heralded the current Nigerian Fourth Republic.

Happy 76th to him. so im senior Buhari abi na wetin?

19 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Jaguntemmy(m): 7:42am On Jun 13, 2018
Na God go Punish Am

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by izzou(m): 7:42am On Jun 13, 2018
grin

Abiola win June 12 election

Dem born Abdusalam on June 13

Dem born Makydebbie during this same week too

undecided
This week has so much drama in it.

I'm happy I rep February 30 grin

3 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by pyyxxaro: 7:42am On Jun 13, 2018
Happy birthday to one of the WISEST CRIMINAL in Africa

Olumo rock and Volcano fall on ur testes cool

10 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Jirate(m): 7:47am On Jun 13, 2018
Jaguntemmy:
Na God go Punish Am

If You Don't Know What To Say, Why Not Shut Up......, Dummy.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by talk2archy: 7:52am On Jun 13, 2018
HBD SIR!!!

1 Like

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:52am On Jun 13, 2018
Happy birthday Your EXCELLENCY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by tunjijones(m): 7:53am On Jun 13, 2018
Happy Birthday to you sir. The man that handed over power to a democratically elected person. Though you stole a lot of money during ur short stint but you are not as greedy as babangida or as power drunk as Abacha.

11 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Goldenheart002(f): 7:54am On Jun 13, 2018
Wbb
Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by ct2: 7:54am On Jun 13, 2018
this people don kill us
Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by makydebbie(f): 7:55am On Jun 13, 2018
izzou:
grin

Dem born Makyebbie during this same week too

undecided

wink cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by whiteTORTIISE(m): 7:55am On Jun 13, 2018
The man that looted the re-looted leftover loot of Gen Sanni Abacha's loot.

This man stole more money in the name of Late Gen Sanni Abacha.

Happy birthday to the white beard gentleman General. you will livelong to enjoy our yams you stole in the name of Gen Sanni Abacha.

I rep June23.

Away June Monsters.

4 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by sweetguy10(m): 7:55am On Jun 13, 2018
He has a hand in M.K.O Abiola’s death ... he is not as innocent as he always portray himself to be .

Shege, damburu uba

6 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by killuminati(m): 7:56am On Jun 13, 2018
Happy Birthday Army Robber..
Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 13, 2018
I LOVE THIS MAN, NA HIM GIVE US DEMOCRACY... DADDY YOU WILL LAST THAN OBASANJO AND THE REST, INSHAL ALLAH YOU WILL LAST THAN ZUMA ROCK, ASO ROCK, OLUMO ROCK, ETC

3 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by eyeview: 7:57am On Jun 13, 2018
And buhari who happens to be his senior by far in ranks and age is 74?
Verily verily I say unto thee, not one apc member will make heaven. Nay, not one.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:58am On Jun 13, 2018
cool
Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by nabegibeg: 7:59am On Jun 13, 2018

1 Like

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Stainlessq(f): 8:00am On Jun 13, 2018
Happy birthday sir. U stole lots of money during your tenure sir. Your ever growing white beards is a testimony to that sir. Happy birthday once again

2 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 13, 2018
Hbd sir, enjoy ur oil blocs and discos . ole barawo

1 Like

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Whothecapfits: 8:04am On Jun 13, 2018
ABIOLA'S BLOOD HANGING HEAVY ON HIS NECK.
Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by obembet(f): 8:04am On Jun 13, 2018
whiteTORTIISE:

I rep June23.

I rep June 23 too

pyyxxaro:
Happy birthday to one of the WISEST CRIMINAL in Africa

U are right... We still respect him till tomorrow...

1 Like

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Kunleskey(m): 8:05am On Jun 13, 2018
Happy birthday to the wise one.
Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 13, 2018
Yeye democracy.
Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by AkpaMgbor(m): 8:06am On Jun 13, 2018
Sulemanial:
I LOVE THIS MAN, NA HIM GIVE US DEMOCRACY... DADDY YOU WILL LAST THAN OBASANJO AND THE REST, INSHAL ALLAH YOU WILL LAST THAN ZUMA ROCK, ASO ROCK, OLUMO ROCK, ETC
If dem tell una make una sabi una history una no go gree..democracy is your fundamental right as a human being..you forgot that obasanjo first 'gave' you democracy before this same Buhari scuttled it and sent us back into the dark ages of military rule..

2 Likes

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by odedinigbin(m): 8:08am On Jun 13, 2018
Jaguntemmy:
Na God go Punish Am

Hmmmmmmmmm
I belv u don't av parents?

1 Like

Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:09am On Jun 13, 2018
Sulemanial:
What positive impact has democracy brought to Nigerians?Dont tell me it's freedom of speech and gsm because we were better of before they came.
Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Kunleskey(m): 8:09am On Jun 13, 2018
izzou:
grin

Dem born Makydebbie during this same week too

undecided

I was also born in June 12
Re: Abdulsalami Abubakar Celebrates His 76th Birthday Today by Btruth: 8:10am On Jun 13, 2018
The most wisest ex-head of states/president. He stays out of politics and mingling with the politicians and political parties. You will never see him criticing any one in government.

Wise man, eating his loots small small.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ensure Nigerians Sleep With Their Eyes Closed, Buhari Tasks Service Chiefs / Sanwo-Olu Unveils New Power Policy To Meet Lagos Electricity Needs / PDP Governorship Flagoff Rally In Bida Local Government Area Of Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.