Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. (17729 Views)

Air Force Wings 6 New Helicopter Pilots, Assures Of Sustained Air Power Delivery / Chief-of-Army Staff, Ibrahim Attahiru Dies In Air Crash / Nigeria Projected Among Top 20 Economies In The World By 2050 - BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by docadams: 8:29am On Jun 16, 2018
lexy2014:
how do all these improve our standard of living

Oooooh! All this childish response.
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by deomelo: 8:31am On Jun 16, 2018
SSGN:
Dreaming? I dont think so bro. The expansion of the Nigerian Air force is is expanding fast. The NAF has been left to rot for over two decades. Expansion and modernization will be a gradual process, but we are getting there already.

Largest attack helicopter gunship
fleet in Sub Sahara Africa and 3rd largest overall after Egypt and Algeria. These are not average run of mil helicopters. Nearly half of Nigeria's helicopter gunship fleet will be the Mi-35M helicopter gunships. This is one of the most advanced attack helicopters in the world with night mission capability.

Biggest fleet of heavy lift transport planes. We talking about Five Hercules C-130 aircraft. Its complimented by a similar number of G-222 meduim transport aircraft.
planes
Largest and most advanced of ISR/ISTAR platforms in Africa currently. Two ATR-42 Maritime patrol. Four King Air 350i surveillance aircraft and of course drones. Nigeria operates a fleet of four CH-3 Rainbow attack drones. These drones are armed with the Ar-1 antitank missiles. A Chinese adaptation to the American Hellfire missile, but still capable.

The one area the Nigerian Air Force is lacking is in strike aircraft. Qualitatively and numerically Nigeria is pretty much deficient in this area. But this is more or less by design not be a lack of capacity. Should the NAF decide to upgrade its fleet of strike aircrafts there will be no sweat. If the three JF-17 Thunder slated for delivery proves to be a highly capable aircraft during testing and evaluation i see Nigeria acquiring a Squadron or more. Until then Nigeria has to make do with the assets on ground.

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) announced on 30 April that it had received two new Mil Mi-35M attack helicopters.

The new helicopters arrived at Makurdi Air Base aboard an An-124-100 transport aircraft and will join the two that were delivered in December 2016.

Russian officials have said that Nigeria has ordered 12 Mi-35Ms.

http://www.janes.com/article/79769/nigeria-receives-two-more-mi-35m-helicopters

12 Mi-35Ms, one of the best-advanced attack helicopters under the sun is massive, then add 12 Tucanos.

They are building from the ground up, next step is attacking fighters and full National and territorial radar
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by deomelo: 8:33am On Jun 16, 2018
docadams:

It's illiteracy, lack of intelligence and inability to follow a simple discussion.
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Blue3k(m): 8:38am On Jun 16, 2018
Lol I wonder whats with the dumb comments on first page. The OP explained point in the video giving the exact numbers and policy. The quest for likes over knowledge.
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by lexy2014: 8:42am On Jun 16, 2018
docadams:

OK pls give an adult response
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Ziggylady(f): 8:42am On Jun 16, 2018
docadams:

Could you explain how that response is childish please??....Nigerians are so deprived by all standards that all these paper wealth and projections of future greatness makes no sense to them presently.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 16, 2018
giles14:
bros please wake up and stop dreaming.
What's in the South-African Air Force?

SSGN is right, the only area South-Africa has a clear advantage over Nigeria is in front line fighter jets.
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Blue3k(m): 8:57am On Jun 16, 2018
SSBN explain how Nigeria is going to close gap between the SAF in these areas listed by global fire power. Nice cideo but dont be affraid to speak. Im telling you you'll be big on youtube if you speak and let personality shine through along with better production. This is ok start considering you're a writer.

To everyone else notice the catagories Nigeria is ahead. Then note the weapons purchases and work its doing in drone area. My issue the manufacturing capacity of Nigeria and air decense system as op has written about.

(Nigeria is on left and South Africa is on right)

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by BelovedBuhari(m): 8:59am On Jun 16, 2018
You just brought out your ignorance and began to flash it in public with pride.

Current information on the Nigerian Airforce plans and platform acquisition, you don't know, Research you no do, questioning the OP to learn more on how this will be possible, you no gree ask.

You are just vomiting thrash all over the place and a host of dumbos like you tapped the like button.

It is clear that it will be far easier for the Nigerian Airforce to attain that enviable status than for you to get common sense.

iamkeyz:
Lol.
If by air power you mean Benin abụ na edo airways I no argue but if you are talking about air power ad in air warfare...
Amaala ga aparakwa ìgwè ụnu o.
Make naija go siddon mehn.
Make we hear word for this country.
Sometimes the mumubility and idiocy of officials of thus joke of a country baffles me but then I temper that their own stupidity is coded iberibelistacally and I shake my head.
Small naija wey never see food chop, finish boo Haram, fulani herdsmen wan over take SA for air power.... Air power gbuo unu dịa.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by darqly(m): 9:00am On Jun 16, 2018
docadams:

Not impossible. India of the early 80's couldn't even make a reliable Keke Napepe but today, it has sent a satellite to Mars in her first attempt, a world record. It also has the longest range ICBM - BrahMos.

Countries that have improved significantly in various spheres did so by first mapping out a path or strategy. The improvement or success is just a byproduct. What's our air power strategy? Common tucano that we purchased caused international outrage, our NAF pilots have cataracts or are mercenaries cos they bomb friendly or civilian targets REGULARLY. Our fighter jets don't get shot down by insurgents but they still manage to crash regularly. SA can rent you F-16s for the right price, with pilots to boot. Let's focus on our locally made pencils first, they're cheaper, safer and they don't crash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by giles14(m): 9:06am On Jun 16, 2018
Henry240:

What's in the South-African Air Force?

SSGN is right, the only area South-Africa has a clear advantage over Nigeria is in front line fighter jets.
what of medium and light utility helicopters, standard air defense system and a good number of good fighter jets.
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:09am On Jun 16, 2018
Stop these pipe dreams please and wake up for once.
South Africa manufactures a few of it's plane, Nigeria is not even close to that,
What is there to be proud about an Air Force that hasn't been able to flush Boko Haram in over 7 years?
Why do we like lies in Nigeria?
With dumb people in charge of gov't, the country continues to regress.
If Buhari wins in 2019 we would still be begging Fulani's to adopt ranches in 2023

WAKE UP USELESS YOUTHS

SSGN:
Dreaming? I dont think so bro. The expansion of the Nigerian Air force is is expanding fast. The NAF has been left to rot for over two decades. Expansion and modernization will be a gradual process, but we are getting there already.

Largest attack helicopter gunship
fleet in Sub Sahara Africa and 3rd largest overall after Egypt and Algeria. These are not average run of mil helicopters. Nearly half of Nigeria's helicopter gunship fleet will be the Mi-35M helicopter gunships. This is one of the most advanced attack helicopters in the world with night mission capability.

Biggest fleet of heavy lift transport planes. We talking about Five Hercules C-130 aircraft. Its complimented by a similar number of G-222 meduim transport aircraft.
planes
Largest and most advanced of ISR/ISTAR platforms in Africa currently. Two ATR-42 Maritime patrol. Four King Air 350i surveillance aircraft and of course drones. Nigeria operates a fleet of four CH-3 Rainbow attack drones. These drones are armed with the Ar-1 antitank missiles. A Chinese adaptation to the American Hellfire missile, but still capable.

The one area the Nigerian Air Force is lacking is in strike aircraft. Qualitatively and numerically Nigeria is pretty much deficient in this area. But this is more or less by design not be a lack of capacity. Should the NAF decide to upgrade its fleet of strike aircrafts there will be no sweat. If the three JF-17 Thunder slated for delivery proves to be a highly capable aircraft during testing and evaluation i see Nigeria acquiring a Squadron or more. Until then Nigeria has to make do with the assets on ground.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 16, 2018
giles14:
what of medium and light utility helicopters, standard air defense system and a good number of good fighter jets.
What about armed drones and surveillance systems, do they have that?

They don't have a good air defence system.

We have double the attack helicopters they have.

F-7 might not be 4 Generation, but it's not a dead beat either. We use the advanced PL-9C air to air missile.

Although the JF-17 hasn't come, but it is the same class and very similar capabilities to the Gripen, even though the Gripen is slightly better.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by BelovedBuhari(m): 9:11am On Jun 16, 2018
How much of developments in the NAF have you been following recently?

If you have current information on developments,training and platform acquisition by the NAF, you would agree that great progress is being made.
When the 3 JF-17 block II are the delivered and we run them for a while on tests, discussions will be concluded on how many squadrons we will procure.
The JF-17s compare favourably with the JAS Gripen jets SA Airforce currently uses.

Thanks to the visionary leadership of Buhari.

Sai Baba

PMB till 2023

giles14:

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by deomelo: 9:14am On Jun 16, 2018
darqly:

Countries that have improved significantly in various spheres did so by first mapping out a path or strategy. The improvement or success is just a byproduct. What's our air power strategy? Common tucano that we purchased caused international outrage, our NAF pilots have cataracts or are mercenaries cos they bomb friendly or civilian targets REGULARLY. Our fighter jets don't get shot down by insurgents but they still manage to crash regularly. SA can rent you F-16s for the right price, with pilots to boot. Let's focus on our locally made pencils first, they're cheaper, safer and they don't crash.

Another ignorant rubbish. They don't have F-16s in SA.

Or is it possible for SA to rent out F-16s that they don't have?

The fact that many of you love to run your mouth and let us know how much you hate Nigeria doesn't mean you hav e to do so with ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by abraham1234: 9:15am On Jun 16, 2018
docadams:

Not impossible. India of the early 80's couldn't even make a reliable Keke Napepe but today, it has sent a satellite to Mars in her first attempt, a world record. It also has the longest range ICBM - BrahMos.

Brahmos is a supersonic cruise missile not an icbm
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by giles14(m): 9:17am On Jun 16, 2018
Henry240:

What about armed drones and surveillance systems, do they have that?

They don't have a good air defence system.

We have double the attack helicopters they have.

F-7 might not be 4 Generation, but it's not a dead beat either. We use the advanced PL-9C air to air missile.

Although the JF-17 hasn't come, but it is the same class and very similar capabilities to the Gripen, even though the Gripen is slightly better.
my oga i understand, in 2020 we might be on the same class but not as SSBN is insinuating.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 16, 2018
darqly:

Nigeria's national strategy is the very reason Nigeria has prioritized ISR/ISTAR platforms over 4th generation aircraft in the interim dude. attack drones, helicopter gunships, surveillance planes are of greater relevance today given the threat environment than a Squadron of new F-16's. Surely a country that acquires quite a number of attack drones and the continents most advanced ISTAR platforms can expand its combat aircraft fleet at anytime of its choosing. In times of austerity priority has to be made. You cannot modernize all classes of Air Force at the same time.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:33am On Jun 16, 2018
giles14:
my oga i understand, in 2020 we might be on the same class but not as SSBN is insinuating.
They don't have an aircraft like the Tucano or a unit like the Nigerian Air Force Regiment.

There are areas where they are better than us, there are also areas were we are better than them.

I don't think the South-African Air Force has an advantage over the Nigerian Air Force. I agree for their navy, but not the Air Force.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 9:36am On Jun 16, 2018
PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO AND READ BELOW ITm..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lym8cY79oHQ
Its 50% Discount PROMO in Lakowe Golf: Own A CofO Land in Prime Location And With Peace of Mind! Lands and Property Assets Owned in Good Locations,acquired RIGHTLY, through a REPUTABLE SOURCE are the best acquisition and investments to ever have... Call us 08034113771 or Click the WhatsApp link in our signature in blue below .
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 16, 2018
SSGN:

Nigeria's national strategy is the very reason Nigeria has prioritized ISR/ISTAR platforms over 4th generation aircraft in the interim dude. attack drones, helicopter gunships, surveillance planes are of greater relevance today given the threat environment than a Squadron of new F-16's. Surely a country that acquires quite a number of attack drones and the continents most advanced ISTAR platforms can expand its combat aircraft fleet at anytime of its choosing. In times of austerity priority has to be made. You cannot modernize all classes of Air Force at the same time.
Nigeria has not prioritised ISR over 4th Generation aircrafts per say, as armed drones and the Tucano all are 4th generation technologies.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by giles14(m): 9:38am On Jun 16, 2018
Henry240:

They don't have an aircraft like the Tucano or a unit like the Nigerian Air Force Regiment.

There are areas where they are better than us, there are also areas were we are better than them.

I don't think the South-African Air Force has an advantage over the Nigerian Air Force. I agree for their navy, but not the Air Force.
I understand
that y I said not as SSBN IS INSINUATING.

we are growing anything can happen btw now n 2020
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 16, 2018
Henry240:

Nigeria has not prioritised ISR over 4th Generation aircrafts per say, as armed drones and the Tucano all are 4th generation technologies.

Armed drones and Super Tucanos fall under the ISR spectrum. I should say COIN capable platfirms
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 16, 2018
SSGN:

Armed drones and Super Tucanos fall under the ISR spectrum. I should say COIN capable platfirms
No sir.

They are combat aircrafts with advanced technologies. Yes, they are not multi-role fighter jets, but modern attack aircrafts nonetheless.

Drones can be used in SEAD missions, Tucanos can provide CAS.
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 16, 2018
ISR/COIN platforms

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:47am On Jun 16, 2018
Henry240:

No sir.

They are combat aircrafts with advanced technologies. Yes, they are not multi-role fighter jets, but modern attack aircrafts nonetheless.

Drones can be used in SEAD missions, Tucanos can provide CAS.

Yes you are right..when i say ISR spectrum i mean assets more suitable for low intensity COIN operations, mostly against non state actors. The Super Tucano is a specialized aircraft, compared to say the F-7N or JF-17. Protecting the nations airspace will require supersonic high performance aircrafts.
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 16, 2018
deomelo:

12 Mi-35Ms, one of the best-advanced attack helicopters under the sun is massive, then add 12 Tucanos.

They are building from the ground up, next step is attacking fighters and full National and territorial radar

I agree. Although with the purchase of the Tucanos, i don't think Nigeria should go for the JF-17. The Tucanos and F-7s combined provide us better capabilities than a single engine JF-17.

Our target should instead be the MIG-35 or the MUG-29m/m2 which Egypt is getting. A powerful twin-engine fighter aircraft.

18 - 24 units and we are good to go.
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 16, 2018
These are strategic assets. Together with the JF-17. This is the underbelly of the Nigerian Air Force and will be the next sector for major upgrades.

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 9:58am On Jun 16, 2018
Henry240:

I agree. Although with the purchase of the Tucanos, i don't think Nigeria should go for the JF-17. The Tucanos and F-7s combined provide us better capabilities than a single engine JF-17.

Our target should instead be the MIG-35 or the MUG-29m/m2 which Egypt is getting. A powerful twin-engine fighter aircraft.

18 - 24 units and we are good to go.

The Super Tucano will not last 10 minutes in a contested environment and the F-7 is too few in numbers to have any strategic impact.
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by 9inches(m): 9:59am On Jun 16, 2018
But where is electric power?
Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by AerialMapper: 10:08am On Jun 16, 2018
Oh! South Africa is ahead of us in terms of air power Na wa o... we were singing free South Africa Apartheid songs for his country decades ago and today they have overtaken us. Please also overtake them in civil aviation as well o. They have a national carrier.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Projected To Overtake South Africa In Air Power By 2020. by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 16, 2018
The JF-17 will put the Nigerian Air Force back into the 4th Generation business.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bandits Attack 5 Kaduna LGAs, Kill Several Residents / Reno Omokri Collaborates With Onyeka Onwenu, Panam Percy Paul, And Leah’s Father / 2023 Presidency: Consensus Or Not, I’ll Emerge — Lawan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.