Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) (32673 Views)

LAGOS BEFORE TINUBU: What You're Seeing Is Lagos During The Early 60s. / Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 / Maryam Babangida And Princess Diana At The Tafawa Balewa Square (Throwback Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by MartinCorridon: 8:17pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:
Wow. If the coup had never struck by now we would have stabilized our nation through democracy. The coup really dealt with our nation.

Fvvck Niger Delta/South South for instigating the first military coup of January 1966.

Ifeajuna and his Delta state where he is from are doomed.

#proudlyYoruba.

Be proud of your heritage...you claimed to be Igbo in another thread and spend the time you can use being productive attacking Yorubas who are better than you can ever hope to be...

You have a mental issue, see a psychiatrist ASAP

6 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Edu3Again: 8:20pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:
Wow. If the coup had never struck by now we would have stabilized our nation through democracy. The coup really dealt with our nation.

Fvvck Niger Delta/South South for instigating the first military coup of January 1966.

#proudlyYoruba.

U oil u enjoy comes from the Niger delta.
The people who put down the coup Ironsi and co were all later killed by the North!
So the evil are the Fulanis

mmb:
You lack history knowledge.

The first coup was masterminded by Igbo soldiers.

The people who carried out the coup were from all over Nigeria!

Funnicator:

NO. Igbos are only located in South East of Nigeria.

SS are Niger Deltans and not Igbos.

Nzeogwu led the coup and announced it at Kaduna Radio.

Nzeogwu is from Okpannam, Delta state.

He is Niger Deltan. Cursed is he and South South.

Nzeogwu was Igbo, Igbos spread across the SE and SS, even into Middle belt,
Just as Ilorin and Kogi have Yorubas

mmb:
I am not surprised. Your name(moniker) says it all.

Dont mind the ediot, trying to make us fight, to make dem fulani masters rule us.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by AreaFada2: 8:21pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:

#proudlyYoruba.
Dude you have little knowledge of history.

The whole problem actually began in Western Region. Between SL Akintola & Awolowo. Then Awolowo was imprisoned. That was the first crisis in Nigeria that heated up the polity. Balewa/Ahmadu Bello used SLA against Awo, declared State of Emergency in the West and sent Pa Awo to prison. Ever wondered why Awo was not killed on January 15th 1966? Not just because he wasn't in govt. He was seen as the main victim of Northern oppression.

Those young officers were angry over perception that Northern politicians and their Southern collaborators were oppressing Southern leaders. Alliance between the West and North was not Always cosy. Awo as a progressive politician could not do business with feudalistic conservative North or become their junior partner.

Awo basically had little choice but to support Gowon when civil war broke out. He was not siding with just the North as many claim these days.

He also had MidWest & West. He could not have persuaded West & Midwest to support Biafra as things were then, though no evidence that he wanted to. Though looking back, the West missed the opportunity to break free and become the most progressive and socially cohesive Country in black Africa.

7 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by kayjay69(m): 8:23pm On Jun 17, 2018
Are you so stupid? The better question should be why are you so stupid or why blindly choose stupidity over reason? If you are going to praise Buhari do so but why drag Yorubas into it. Must your comment be tinged with Tribal undertone. I am Yoruba and I don't agree with any part of your comment. Infact I think you are most likely paid to stir up some stuff like this to pit one section of the country against the other. Don't get me wrong, just as I can't stand you in the same vein I can't stand others who do this be it for igbo or hausa or any other tribe.

Sometimes I wonder is the black man cursed? Why do we insist on making the same mistake over and over? There's no tribe in Nigeria, get it in your thick skull. The only two tribes in Nigeria are the haves and the have nots. Keep playing into the books of useless politricians who care nothing about your future and your existence. Keep playing into their divide and rule tactics.

As for the coup, Kaduna Nzeogwu and his officers had very good and genuine reasons for carrying it out. Atleast they had the guts to do something cos the country wasn't gonna go anywhere, trust me it would not have gone anywhere with the way it was being run that much was obvious. You doubt me, pick up a book and read. Read from everyone who was in and out of govt around that time, gather your own facts and make your own inferences. The only major cockup is that they some how left out high ranking politicians from the SE and this was partially what got the Northern and SWestern Politicians and Army Officers livid. This was partially why they staged a bloody coup against Ironsi. I am pretty sure if Zik and all the others were taken out and Nzeogwu installed Awolowo as President we most likely would be in a better place as a nation and there would not have been any civil war. I could be wrong but that's just my theory. However I do not excuse the North and their thirst for blood. Like Vampires, there has always been a craving for killings in this part of the country whether justifiable or not (the facts are there, just google and read up on the pre-independence riots in the North).

Nigeria will not change unless we the masses shun these petty debates and haggling, unite together and reject useless leaders on all levels. I know it's tough cos there are useless leaders on both sides of the isle. However we must continue to push for what is best. I also believe that the parliamentary system is much better for us given our diversity.

Funnicator:

We Yorubas know there are no Igbos in SS/Niger Delta.

At the sametime Chukwuma Nzeogwu is from Delta state.

So he as a Niger Deltan, led the first coup of January 1966, and not the Igbos please.

We should all do our assignment before making useless posts here ignorant of knowledge.

#proudlyYoruba.
#downNzeogwu
#downSouthSouth
#downNigerDelta
#proudlyNigerian
#saiBuhari.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Solowande(m): 8:25pm On Jun 17, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

Don't go there, don't speak about my.mam again cuz

The Niger deltans carried out that coup and.it is documented in history no amount of attempted distractive rants can change this

But you wouldn't understand now being that you are a poorly educated Niger deltan rehabilitated militant would you?

I am not one for play cuz

If you don't.respect your mum I do mine, she is the reason I breath and will go to.any length to hurt someone who disrespects her

Step off now
learn how not to generalize facts. Don't condemn certain group of people because of one man selfish ambition. Step off too
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Roger3D(m): 8:27pm On Jun 17, 2018
igbodefender:
The January 1966 coup was never an Igbo coup because Ohaneze Ndigbo never held a meeting to do coup.

It was organized by young officers whose stated aim was to release Awolowo and make him Prime Minister.

Remember that at that point, Awolowo was in prison after being convicted for coup plotting in 1962.

Those young officers should have simply resigned and joined their hero's party to campaign for him, instead of trying to seize power for him.

Ademoyega, Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, why??
Then why we're ibos in the north jubilating over the death of northern leaders?

4 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by kayjay69(m): 8:28pm On Jun 17, 2018
May God bless you for this deeply insightful and educative commentary. It is a shame that most users of nairaland know little about history despite the fact that they have web-enabled phones granting access to vast database of information. We are all so quick and so fast to post hashtag yoruba this, igbo that, sai this, up that and can't even clearly articulate whatever points we intend.

AreaFada2:

Dude you have little knowledge of history.

The whole problem actually began in Western Region. Between SL Akintola & Awolowo. Then Awolowo was imprisoned. That was the first crisis in Nigeria that heated up the polity. Balewa/Ahmadu Bello used SLA against Awo, declared State of Emergency in the West and sent Pa Awo to prison. Ever wondered why Awo was not killed on January 15th 1966? Not just because he wasn't in govt. He was seen as the main victim of Northern oppression.

Those young officers were angry over perception that Northern politicians and their Southern collaborators were oppressing Southern leaders. And looking the other way as Easterners were massacred in the North.

Do not think North/West collaboration was always cosy. Awo as a progressive politician could not do business with feudalistic conservative North.
Awo basically had little choice but to support Gowon when civil war broke out. Was not siding with just the North. Also with MidWest & West. He could not have persuaded West & Midwest to support Biafra as things were then. Though looking back, the West missed the opportunity to break free and become the most progressive and socially cohesive Country in black Africa.
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Edu3Again: 8:28pm On Jun 17, 2018
NdiaraIGBO:
Let's have a special day, I call it SLAP-AN-IGBO-MAN day!

Turn to the nearest igbo man and give him a dirty slap!

How come this person is allowed to incite violence against igbos,

Yet when we say we are leaving the whole Zoo is scared

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Cloud007: 8:30pm On Jun 17, 2018
The first coup was more than meet the eye. Almost like what happened in the garden of eden. It destroyed the Nigeria as we knew it then forever. Principalities and powers well done ohhh
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by uba1991: 8:32pm On Jun 17, 2018
i av warn d niger delta to be careful of d igbos they thought i was iieing,just see how they are blaming d niger delter for a crime committed by d igbos. NEVER TRUST AN IGBO MAN,THEY ARE SNAKES

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Fourwinds: 8:37pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by MrBONE2(m): 8:42pm On Jun 17, 2018
papoudaupolos:
Whoever was behind that first coup, his people are still paying for the price.

grin

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Born2Breed(f): 8:43pm On Jun 17, 2018
Luxuryconsult:
how was he able to gather them? And everyone he used for the coup were his surbodinates which could never have disobey his orders. He masterminded the whole thing that even his superior (Aguiyi Ironsi) didn't know a thing about it. Anyway he died a biafran soldier, i hope you know that?

If its about the group he led in the North, his subordinates where 85% Northerners. He died fighting on the Biafran side but was buried and honoured as a Nigerian soldier.
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Truthisit: 8:48pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:

So he as a Niger Deltan, led the first coup of January 1966, and not the Igbos please.

We should all do our assignment before making useless posts here ignorant of knowledge.
Stop fooling yourself, even when they're fooling you! Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna etc are Igbo, whether you like it or not! Forget the artificial boundary of British created East and West, and the balkanization into states. Are Yoruba's of Kwara and Kogi not Yorrubas again? Or the Hausas and Fulanis of Niger not Hausa and Fulani again?
#proudlyYoruba.
#downNzeogwu
#downSouthSouth
#downNigerDelta
#proudlyNigerian
#saiBuhari.
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by iconize(m): 8:50pm On Jun 17, 2018
gurnam:
Nzeogwu, closed like a son to Balewa but still killed him.
These people are traitors to the Nigeria project since the time of independence.

Ilugunboy, you won't stop being petty. Lol.
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by gurnam: 9:13pm On Jun 17, 2018
iconize:

Ilugunboy, you won't stop being petty. Lol.

Lmao, who is this one?
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by jamjo: 9:28pm On Jun 17, 2018
Luxuryconsult:
why you dey lie so bros?

You tell me what are the lies, that they are not Nigeria military? That they were no Yorubas and Hausas?. Buhari did a coup you didn't call it Hausa Coup nearly all the coups that the Nigeria military carried out in Nigeria where headed by the Hausas but you and your likes never label it Hausa's coup.

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by SpencerLewis(m): 9:30pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:

Your itism no get part two. South south is it a tribe? Or you don't know that one third of Delta state are Igbos? And many more in Rivers state still in south south too. Stop exhibiting your mumuism here plsssss.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by es144000: 9:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:

Hush. Nzeogwu is from Delta state.

Is delta in South east my friend?

Go and learn basic social science and geopolitical zones of Nigeria.
Product of failed educational system.
He is igbo and his coconspirators, were urhobo,itsekiri,I jaw,isoko,okrika,calabar,Ibibio,oron,anang ,Benin,ishan,involved;these are the real Niger deltans
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by stieyven(m): 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:

Love your enemies and bless those who curse you and pray for those who despitefully use you. LUKE 6 :28
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:

Hush. Nzeogwu is from Delta state.

Is delta in South east my friend?

Go and learn basic social science and geopolitical zones of Nigeria.
Product of failed educational system.

I like what u are doing, u are drawing out their hypocrisy. this afonjas have started to show their true colours

I just pity those igbos deniars in delta state.

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 17, 2018
es144000:
He is igbo and his coconspirators, were urhobo,itsekiri,I jaw,isoko,okrika,calabar,Ibibio,oron,anang ,Benin,ishan,involved;these are the real Niger deltans

is nzeogwu from delta or not?

is delta south south or not?

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 17, 2018
uba1991:
i av warn d niger delta to be careful of d igbos they thought i was iieing,just see how they are blaming d niger delter for a crime committed by d igbos. NEVER TRUST AN IGBO MAN,THEY ARE SNAKES

is nzeogwu not form Niger delta? hmmm

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 17, 2018
uba1991:

is nzeogwu not from Niger delta? hmmm
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 17, 2018
jamjo:

You tell me what are the lies, that they are not Nigeria military? That they were no Yorubas and Hausas?. Buhari did a coup you didn't call it Hausa Coup nearly all the coups that the Nigeria military carried out in Nigeria where headed by the Hausas but you and your likes never label it Hausa's coup.
we were talking about the beginning of coup in Nigeria. The man that started it all was fighting an unnecessary course for the igbos. He is the reason Nigeria has become like this. If he haven't started that coup killing all the hausas/Fulanis and yorubas in power, there wouldn't have bn something like Hausa counter coup which led to several other coups or before coups became a norm in Nigeria. Have you ever wondered why there have never for once bn any true love/love/romance/peace between the Igbos and the nothern people (Hausas/Fulani)? Or why Ojukwu started the agitation for the soverign state of Republic of Biafra? It was all thanks to chukwuma, he started it all, he was the reason why the hausas killed many of your people up front and Aguiyi Johnson Ironsi (The only head of state from the east). Anyway i wasn't supporting any tribe from my initail post and also here. I'm just telling you like others that Major General Chukwuma was the reason for the division in Nigeria. He created the problem the southern part of Nigeria is facing till date especially the south east. Yorubas are only using brain to collect what's ours from the hausas/fulanis up front while you people tagged it slavery. You can continue saying that though, once the hausas/fulanis knows and never mess with our importancy in Nigeria, then we don't care. And you eastern people should start using your brain. What's/ has befell you people is all your fault. The earlier you realize that and find a solution the better. God will help you people in your fight for freedom though. Buh you people should biko take mouth out of yoruba people matter. We are suppose to fight you the way the hausas/fulanis always do because of all what your people did in 1966 buh we didn't. So you people should learn to be grateful. And we are the reason Yakubu Gowon didn't wipe out all the igbo tribe during the civil war buh you'd always tag us backstabbers even when we are trying everything possible to make sure the nothern people don't wipe you out because of the hatred they have for you which you incured upon yourselves though.

#Salam

5 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by babestella: 10:06pm On Jun 17, 2018
Funnicator:

#proudlyYoruba.
#downNzeogwu
#downSouthSouth
#downNigerDelta
#proudlyNigerian
#saiBuhari.

Don’t mind that smelly mouthed foooooo000000llll, he is trying very hard to pin the coup on the Igbos so he could justify his hate for Igbos. I am sure he is a lazy northerner who does not know history except the lies told to him by his tribalistic leaders in the north Buhari inclusive.

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by babestella: 10:08pm On Jun 17, 2018
jamjo:

Very Apt.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 17, 2018
Edu3Again:

How come this person is allowed to incite violence against igbos,

Yet when we say we are leaving the whole Zoo is scared
scared? Of what? You people should leave if you can. We are doing everything for out of pity. You know how much the hausas/fulanis hate you people. They are willing and ready to wipe you people out. So you people can go wherever if your dreadful nightmare enemies would let you. Yet we are blaming the person that started/created problems for you and us all, you people turned it to hatred issue as usual... Mtchew

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by Owamudia: 10:22pm On Jun 17, 2018
masseratti:
from the way you write, and construct your grammar, there is no iota of doubt in my mind that you are no Yoruba, all your past topic centralised of the Igbo ethnic group, you cannot be a Yoruba exhibiting this kind of hate.

The guy is just being 'sarcastic'
Any smart person should know that.

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by supereagle(m): 10:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
mmb:
You lack history knowledge.

The first coup was masterminded by Igbo soldiers.

A Yoruba officer was with them.
Re: Tafawa Balewa With Aguiyi Ironsi In The Early 60s (Throwback Photo) by gurnam: 10:38pm On Jun 17, 2018
supereagle:

A Yoruba officer was with them.

Mention one person that the “Yoruba officer” killed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Matawalle Rejects Emefiele’s 'Study Leave', Says He Must Give Account To Tinubu / Suicide Bomber Hits Kano, Scores Feared Dead / Onitsha Residents Rush To Scoop Fuel From Fallen Tanker. See Photos

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.