Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,701 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him (42338 Views)

Thread for all James Hadley Chase Books In PDF Format / James Hadley Chase Collections / 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by ceeceeuwa: 8:29am On Jun 20, 2018
Correct! My Birthday mate
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by mightyhazell: 8:29am On Jun 20, 2018
wingmanII:
Mark Girland
ur brain dey dia bro
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by ashjay001(m): 8:30am On Jun 20, 2018
akhimself234:
James Hadley Chase:

Facts you probably didn't
know about him

He was born on December 24, 1906.

He was born Rene Lodge Brabazon Raymond

James Hadley Chase was just one
of various pseudonyms (pen name)
he used, and the most popular
one. Others were James L. Docherty,
Raymond Marshall, R. Raymond and
Ambrose Grant.

Born to Colonel Francis Raymond
of the Colonial Indian Army, he served
in the Royal Airforce during
During World War II.

His writing career saw him produced
over 90 thriller books.

You can get hold of any or all of these
novels (paperbacks or hardcover)
easily straight from the U.S today on
Shop2Africa.com

For example, you can order the
novel "You've Got It Coming"
here https:///HPKZBX

50 of his books have been made
into films.

Below are the full list of his books:

1. No Orchids for Miss Blandish - 1939
2. The Dead Stay Dumb - 1941
3. The Dolls Bad News - 1941
4. Miss Callghan Comes to Grief - 1941
5. Get a Load of This - 1942
6. Miss Shumway Waves a Wand - 1944
7. Eve - 1945
8. I'll Get You for This - 1946
9. Last Page - 1947
10. The Flesh of the Orchid - 1948
11. You Never Know With Women - 1949
12. You're Lonely When You're Dead - 1949
13. Figure It Out for Yourself - 1950
14. Strictly for Cash - 1951
15. The Fast Buck - 1952
16. Double Shuffle - 1952
17. I'll Bury My Dead - 1953
18. This Way for a Shroud - 1953
19. Tiger By The Tail - 1954
20. Safer Dead - 1954
21. You've Got It Coming - 1955
22. There's Always a Price Tag - 1956
23. The Guilty Are Afraid - 1957
24. Not Safe to Be Free - 1958
25. Shock Treatment - 1959
26. The World In My Pocket - 1959
27. What's Better Than Money - 1960
28. Come Easy - Go Easy - 1960
29. A Lotus for Miss Quon - 1961
30. Just Another Sucker - 1961
31. I Would Rather Stay Poor - 1962
32. A Coffin from Hong Kong - 1962
33. One Bright Summer Morning - 1963
34. Tell It to The Birds - 1963
35. The Soft Centre - 1964
36. This is for Real - 1965
37. The Way the Cookie Crumbles - 1965
38. You Have Yourself A Deal - 1966
39. Cade - 1966
40. Have This One on Me - 1967
41. Well Now - My Pretty - 1967
42. An Ear to the Ground - 1968
43. Believed Violet - 1968
44. The Whiff of Money - 1969
45. The Vulture Is a Patient Bird - 1969
46. Like a Hole in the Head - 1970
47. There's a Hippie on the Highway - 1970
48. Want to Stay Alive? - 1971
49. An Ace Up My Sleeve - 1971
50. Just a Matter of Time - 1972
51. You're Dead Without Money - 1972
52. Have a Change of Scene - 1973
53. Knock, Knock! Who's There?
54. So What Happens To Me? - 1974
55. Goldfish Have No Hiding Place - 1974
56. Believe This - You'll Believe Anything - 1975
57. The Joker In The Pack - 1975
58. Do Me a Favour, Drop Dead - 1976
59. My Laugh Comes Last - 1977
60. I Hold the Four Aces - 1977
61. Consider Yourself Dead - 1978
62. You Must Be Kidding - 1979
63. A Can of Worms - 1979
64. You Can Say That Again - 1980
65. Try This One for Size - 1980
66. Hand Me a Fig Leaf - 1981
67. Have a Nice Night - 1982
68. We'll Share a Double Funeral - 1982
69. Not My Thing - 1983
70. Hit Them Where It Hurts - 1984
71. He Won't Need It Now - 1941
72. Lady, Here's Your Wreath - 1940
73. Just The Way It Is - 1944
74. Blonde's Requiem - 1945
75. Make The Corpse Walk - 1947
76. No Business of Mine - 1947
77. Trusted Like the Fox - 1948
78. The Paw in the Bottle - 1949
79. Mallory - 1950
80. But A Short Time To Live - 1951
81. Why Pick on Me? - 1951
82. In A Vain Shadow - 1951
84. The Wary Transgressor - 1952
85. The Things Men Do - 1953
86. The Sucker Punch - 1954
87. Mission To Venice - 1954
88. Mission To Sienna - 1955
89. You Find Him, I'll Fix Him - 1956
90. Hit And Run - 1958
91. Slipstream: A Royal Airforce Anthology - 1946
92. More Deadly Than The Male - 1947

His novels' biggest market was France,
although also popular in other European
markets, Africa and Asia.

His books failed to take hold in the
American market.

Chase got married to Sylvia Ray in
1932 and they had a son.

He died in Switzerland at the age of 78.

How many of his books did you read?

Can read all his book on repeat, just not "there is always a price tag"sadangry

Read most. It was d book to read then, Chase n Pacesetters kiss

Planning to own d entire collection, my sons, need to read him wink
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by SunstarS(m): 8:30am On Jun 20, 2018

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 20, 2018
famosty:
Have plenty of his books on my system
can I get a few? please...
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Acecube(m): 8:34am On Jun 20, 2018
priceaction:
Those novels will wake you to watch movies from your brain. Now it is games people play on their spare time. I recently downloaded over 30 of his novels again free online. I love reading them. Apart from James hardely chase, pacesetter novels were another series I love to read. How time flies.

for those asking me where to download, start with this just 36,: if i have time, i will update
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AO%2DPLtQPMfhORAA&id=778A5C67A69F615C%21220&cid=778A5C67A69F615C

another 90 free for android phone users.
if you cant read it on phobne, folloe this steps

To upload files on your Android device: same as pc users

Open the Google Play Books app.
Touch the Menu > Settings > Enable PDF uploading.
Exit the app.

Download a PDF or EPUB file on your device and touch Upload to Play Books.

or to avoid the stress, just download Universal Book Reader from playstore, and thats it.
download the books here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-sD0pQt4tkYem9rYjN3UnNzNmc ( just double click on anybook and save to ur android phone)

cc desertboom olatara nwanyiawkaetiti alwaysking zionista ephpremvl mikhe2 bravehost4u ernieboy emotionless100 rigel95 tofolo opymx nanauju bellooyin kastonkastroll teeneyo astoorr iceadonis20 harmonydee
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by erico2k2(m): 8:35am On Jun 20, 2018
what a writer, I think I have read about 60 of them, my best was the Vulture is a patient Bird, I read that in one day ,I will never forget, it was so captivating I forgot to eat.
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by imagrg(m): 8:36am On Jun 20, 2018
I've read them all. I presently have the one titled " Cade" with me. I need a download link please
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by zicoraads: 8:37am On Jun 20, 2018
ElsonMorali:

Lol. So true. I went to a military school so taking them to school and risk being caught was a no-no.

How could you explain that a book with such cover was actually innocent and interesting.

So many books shaped my childhood.

Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew mysteries, Famous Five, Secret Seven...chai... Those were the days.

These days everybody is glued to their phones, no more reading. embarassed
Enid Blyton was lit too cheesy

Sadly, it's the age. And it manifests in how most of them write and converse. Even their conversational skills are terrible. Phones are not doing this generation a lot of good.

3 Likes

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by ashjay001(m): 8:38am On Jun 20, 2018
matinos28:
u didn't add "there is always a price tag".... that's my favorite

That's d book, I'm most pissed abt!angry

My nigga was played! That feck-ass phone call!sad I haven't forgiven Chase, for that twist! Best laid plans, of mice n men.

Planning to own d entire collection in paperback. My sons, need to read him, too.

Gave me my live n let live
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by mightyhazell: 8:39am On Jun 20, 2018
honor4me:
Almost all his books in the 80s. He was a mentor that was never seen. He nade me to excel in the use of English language. Sadly, his works could not hold me again when i discovered the works of Sydney Sheldon, Harold Robbins and this man whose works were solely devoted to legal matters. World has changed now, our youths are only interested in in snap chat, Instagram etc etc. I'm not blaming them. Maybe all these will also become history in another 30 years time
john grisham

u shd try robbin cook,the medical thriller and den dean koontz /steve kings,the mystery thrillers. na there u go sabi say men dey,lol

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by mightyhazell: 8:40am On Jun 20, 2018
wingmanII:

Poko Toholo.
" Fear is the key that opens the rich man's wallet, I have the formula for fear"
dats 'want to stay alive?'
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by jarx: 8:42am On Jun 20, 2018
I've been trying to download his books but couldn't. Someone help me pls
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by tabaski: 8:42am On Jun 20, 2018
Nostalgic feeling
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by ElsonMorali: 8:43am On Jun 20, 2018
zicoraads:

Enid Blyton was lit too cheesy

Sadly, it's the age. And it manifests in how most of them write and converse. Even their conversational skills are terrible. Phones are not doing this generation a lot of good.

True that.
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by ACE1010: 8:43am On Jun 20, 2018
Chase, a prolific writer!! "The World In Pocket " and" Want To Stay Alive"
These are the two I can remember but I think I read about 4 or 5 of this novels. That's about 20 years ago....but still fresh in my brain!!
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by jpmoriarti(m): 8:44am On Jun 20, 2018
lefulefu:
Really loved reading the James Hardley Chase novels.As a kid my Dad had a whole lot of collection of the chase novels.i was so addicted to it that the ones my dad didnt have i would rush to the bookshop to buycheesy. One of my favourite chase villians was Lu Silk the assasin who works for the German bilioniare business man Herman Randnitz and of course the Russian soviet secret agent Malik...who was Mark Girland's nemesis and my favourite paradise city detective First Grade Tom Lepski with his nagging wife carolcheesy. Op do u also know dat Hardley Chase for all his obsession about the USA had only been to the USA once? And he made dat trip quite late in his lifetime. Also most of the american slangs he used in his novels were picked from encyclopeadeas plus majority of the american cities he wrote about like paradise city were just fictitious cities he made up from his mind.Anyway indomie kids born in the year 2005 wont know what is James Hardley Chasecheesy.So indomie kids keep ur ears to the ground and learn about the maestro called James Hardley Chasecheesy.
What about Claude Kendrick, the tall, enormously fat queer, with an amiable expression of a dolphin, the art collector. His role in "Try this one on for size" made me love that particular novel so much.

JHC is still my best author. Cant forget those novels
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Smooyis(m): 8:48am On Jun 20, 2018
If only we had read our Bibles as we read Hardley Chase grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Coldsteel(m): 8:49am On Jun 20, 2018
Tiger by the tail....His very first novel i read way back early 90's.
Then Strictly for cash...Mehn,that was the bomb...
Then i started rolling Chase...
Hand me a fig leaf
The dead stay dumb
Mission to venice/sienna
The way the cookies crumble
He won't need it now
Believed voilent
Tell it to the birds
When you check the number of thrillers he has written in his entire lifetime,then divide by his active years,you will understand why i call him LEGEND

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Heeyhun(f): 8:49am On Jun 20, 2018
CriticMaestro:
Familiar name
Never read his books
Then again, how many books have I even read!
Buckle up son, you've got some reading to do

lol. Most times, your son will do what he sees you doing, not what you instruct him to. You want him to be an avid reader start reading yourself �

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by wingmanII: 8:50am On Jun 20, 2018
mightyhazell:
dats 'want to stay alive?'

You are correct. I was carried away.
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 20, 2018
jpmoriarti:
What about Claude Kendrick, the tall, enormously fat queer, with an amiable expression of a dolphin, the art collector. His role in "Try this one on for size" made me love that particular novel so much.

JHC is still my best author. Cant forget those novels
oh yes i remember the Claude Kendrick character. He buys stolen art wares from criminals and he most cases he short changes themcheesy. Dude was a real smart smooth aleccheesy.. And the way Hardley Chase described him as a dolphin always got me laughingcheesy.Hardley chase really had a humourous sidecheesy.

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by rinzaugustine: 8:52am On Jun 20, 2018
Old memories
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 20, 2018
Coldsteel:
Tiger by the tail....His very first novel i read way back early 90's.
Then Strictly for cash...Mehn,that was the bomb...
Then i started rolling Chase...
Hand me a fig leaf
The dead stay dumb
Mission to venice/sienna
The way the cookies crumble
He won't need it now
Believed voilent
Tell it to the birds
When you check the number of thrillers he has written in his entire lifetime,then divide by his active years,you will understand why i call him LEGEND
hmm strictly for cash ...the boxer johnny fahrer who had the itch for fast moneycheesy... Yea i remember dat one. There was a scene in dat novel were he was being chased by cops into a skyscraper hotel building and him clutching a breifcase with money about 2 million dollars or so inside d breifcase. He climbed out of a window and started spraying money into the crowd looking up at him.even some of d cops were rushing after d money and using their batons to steer ppl off d moneycheesy.

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by mightyhazell: 9:00am On Jun 20, 2018
imagrg:
I've read them all. I presently have the one titled " Cade" with me. I need a download link please
cade the world class photographer who finally hit the bottle so hard cos of a mexican lady...

my lowest point in dat book was when an old black negro barman refused to send pics taken by cade of the brutal murder of two young negroes to his office as proof of racist brutality against negroes..pictures dat almost cost cade his life to get
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by GreatrAnalyst: 9:02am On Jun 20, 2018
bigpicture001:
I still wonder y aghata Christie detective books that are soo soo boring is hailed as the best ever British detective books. silly ppl.... james hardly chase shaped my mind on.many tins.. he books where so interesting that it gave me over 50 friends growing up as we formed a chase club and buy and borrow ourselves. op u shld have added that he was a British man.and first a bookstore keeper, his books are mostly about American crime dominated society, he uses American slangs and he learnt both the location of his scenes and the slangs from American encyclopedia and dictionary. he was a marvelous writer. his books were later banned in Nigeria during OBJ's military reign cuz of its imposing characters nd popularity in NIGERIA........

I hail you. You really know Hadley Chase. I read few of his books. But are the new generation of Nigerians still reading books though? It is more of stuffs that educate the mind and instil habit of reading that should grace front page of NL I think than some craps
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 20, 2018
mightyhazell:
john grisham

u shd try robbin cook,the medical thriller and den dean koontz /steve kings,the mystery thrillers. na there u go sabi say men dey,lol
hm can u get these books in nigeria? Even hardley chase these days are not dat easy to get anymore. Oyibo man know say most of we africans no dey interested in reading anymore so they dont bother sending their books. Even chimananda Adichie books most of them na westerners dey read am.

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by mightyhazell: 9:08am On Jun 20, 2018
lefulefu:
hm can u get these books in nigeria? Even hardley chase these days are not dat easy to get anymore. Oyibo man know say most of we africans no dey interested in reading anymore so they dont bother sending their books. Even chimananda Adichie books most of them na westerners dey read am.
them sara for bookstores.. esp dose close to universities.i just cant get enough if dem. my house be like chinese library ,lol

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Temptee101(m): 9:08am On Jun 20, 2018
famosty:
Have plenty of his books on my system
I will be glad if you can send them to me as well. I'm a great fan of his works. God bless you. izuchukwuvicks@gmail.com
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by BabaRamota1980: 9:09am On Jun 20, 2018
Wow
Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by Amazinpeace(f): 9:11am On Jun 20, 2018
James Hadley Chase the master of crime thrillers and a profilic writer, really loved his books back then in secondary school, I can remember hiding his novels inside my textbook pretending I was reading my textbook grin. My favourite is No Orchids for Miss Blandish

1 Like

Re: James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him by priestcharm(m): 9:12am On Jun 20, 2018
pocohantas:
My Laugh Comes Last
The Guilty Are Afraid

Those are my favourite JHC books.

I've owned up to 70.Lucky me, they are pretty cheap grin
Looking at that list, I think I have read almost all.

I beg how can I get to read your collections? Fond memories. My first was
Well Now My Pretty and I became hook

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

All In One Night (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / My Billionaire Boyfriend / Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.