Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,985 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention (2200 Views)

"I Am Sincerely Sorry" - Lead British School Student Issues Apology For Bullying / UI Students!!! Please I Need Your Attention!!! / What Will Happen If You Boil Egg Inside Oil Instead Of Water? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Untainted007: 9:55am On Jun 20, 2018
English Language is a borrowed and an imposed language on us by the colonial masters, so nobody is expecting anyone to be perfect while speaking it or writing it down but it has become a social norm of some people to wrongly use some English words incorrectly thinking they are using the right diction. I was in a supermarket last night and a lady needed to pick an item beside me, initially I never knew I was hindering her access to the item. The word "SORRY" came from her mouth and I was like, did I fall down or have I gotten myself injured that I would need to be addressed a such. In simplicity, she ought to have said EXCUSE ME. Some people will want to ask you for direction but they will walk up to you and say "Sorry, can you please direct me to so, so and so place" More so, you will be in a bus and someone beside you may want to disembark and the next word from them will be sorry, I want to come down. Why telling me sorry? when the situation on ground does not call for it, but saying SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE is more polite than just saying SORRY.
According to English dictionary "SORRY" means feeling sadness, sympathy, or disappointment, especially because something unpleasant has happened or been done.
Anyway, scholars in the house can help to shed more light in case I'm wrong, we are all learning everyday,

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by chrisbaxtian(m): 10:20am On Jun 20, 2018
sorry for interrupting you! sorry for disturbing you etc... it's a Nigerian thing not totally wrong though

9 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Untainted007: 10:33am On Jun 20, 2018
chrisbaxtian:
sorry for interrupting you! sorry for disturbing you etc... it's a Nigerian thing not totally wrong though

Thanks for that, but just saying the word "sorry" sound barbaric and irrelevant.
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by chrisbaxtian(m): 10:49am On Jun 20, 2018
Untainted007:

Thanks for that, but just saying the word "sorry" sound barbaric and irrelevant.

well, that's your take on the matter

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Treasure17(m): 10:52am On Jun 20, 2018
That's because we've been used to it and some people finds it offensive or impolite when you use the word excuse me.

11 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by chrisbaxtian(m): 10:54am On Jun 20, 2018
Treasure17:
That's because we've been used to it and some people finds it offensive or impolite when you use the word excuse me.

yes, most especially ladies.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Treasure17(m): 10:55am On Jun 20, 2018
Untainted007:

Nothing barbaric there. Some situations warrant that to avoid confrontation.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Treasure17(m): 11:11am On Jun 20, 2018
chrisbaxtian:

yes, most especially ladies.
Yeah especially when you use it with harsh voice.
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Sistar: 11:35am On Jun 20, 2018
I am sorry could you excuse me

I am sorry means sorry for the inconviences

I am.sorry could you repeat yourself

I am sorry i didnt get that clearly

I am.sorry did you just say his mad.

I beg your pardon? Im sorry come again excuse me is a synonyms.

Nothing wrong with replacing sorry with excuse

Pls if you no.sabi grammar carry your dicko and stop this belittling of the female sex

Corrected

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by 1shortblackboy: 11:38am On Jun 20, 2018
nigerians are already angry about something. if its not Buhari its the police if its not the police its fuel scarcity if not that one its no light and generator wahala if light dey na over billing and estimated billing. oh and armed robbers cultists kidnappers boko haram herdsmen etc etc etc people are already angry! so just tell them sorry for adding any extra question or task or burden to their lives

8 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by GeoSilYe(f): 11:41am On Jun 20, 2018
angry

Majority of Nigerians you see are angry people!

Better to pacify them first before you turn to a dump ground for insults

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Untainted007: 12:09pm On Jun 20, 2018
GeoSilYe:
angry

Majority of Nigerians you see are angry people!

Better to pacify them first before you turn to a dump ground for insults

Hahahahahaa that's indeed funny.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Nathp9(m): 1:02pm On Jun 20, 2018
1shortblackboy:
nigerians are already angry about something. if its not Buhari its the police if its not the police its fuel scarcity if not that one its no light and generator wahala if light dey na over billing and estimated billing. oh and armed robbers cultists kidnappers boko haram herdsmen etc etc etc people are already angry! so just tell them sorry for adding any extra question or task or burden to their lives
Exactly Bro Tru Talk

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by okwabayi(m): 3:05pm On Jun 20, 2018
The actual use is "sorry for any inconvenience this may cause" which others have pointed out. I also find it better than "excuse me" which may sound authoritative and a tad rude.
Brits use "you alright?" instead of the "how are you?" they taught us, saying the latter sounds too personal to the point of disrespect.

Why everyone says sorry is because like short forms of names it is easier to pronounce. Which sounds easier to you, Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemubwem Ossas or a simple Osa?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by martolux(m): 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2018
Excuse me sounds a little offensive in this our present economic situation.....but it depends on the tone used... gentle words turnes away wrath, but a harsh words stirrs up anger.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Sistar: 5:02pm On Jun 20, 2018
Professionally we dont use excuse me
We use "am sorry" or "sorry" or "pardon me" just because you want to cut the long story short not excuse you. If you want to be rude use excuse me...
As a customer service rep
So you need to go apologize to that lazy for asking a stupid question when she was been polite
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 20, 2018
Sorry for commenting.
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Dranoid: 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2018
Sistar:
Am sorry could you excuse me

Am sorry means sorry for the inconviences

Am.sorry could you repeat yourself

Am sorry i didnt get that clearly

Am.sorry did you just say his mad.

I beg your pardon? Im sorry come again excuse me is a synonyms.

Nothing wrong with replacing sorry with excuse

Pls if you no.sabi grammar carry your dicko and stop this belittling of the female sex

1. It's, I'm sorry not am sorry nor im sorry, he's not his, inconveniences not inconviences.

2. @first bolded part, I was shook when I read that shii aswr grin

3. @second bolded part, I don't think you are one to determine whether someone 'sabis' grammar or not and if your comprehension skills are 1/4 of what they should be, you'll know that OP was not belittling the female sex.

@Untainted007 I think it's just not to come off as rude.

Sometimes sef when I catch myself saying sorry then I say excuse me instead I almost always subconsciously add sorry to itgrin

"Sor..... Excuse me, sorrygrin can I pick that up?"

I try to change tho. Then there's the thing that Nigerians are generally 'too' respectful

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Untainted007: 8:39pm On Jun 20, 2018
Dranoid:

1. It's, I'm sorry not am sorry nor im sorry, he's not his, inconveniences not inconviences.

3. @second bolded part, I don't think you are one to determine whether someone 'sabis' grammar or not and if your comprehension skills are 1/4 of what they should be, you'll know that OP was not belittling the female sex.

Sometimes sef when I catch myself saying sorry then I say excuse me instead I almost always subconsciously add sorry to itgrin

I try to change tho. Then there's the thing that Nigerians are generally 'too' respectful

Very thoughtful and straight to point you have raised here. But it seems most people here are not getting what I was trying to point out here. Saying I'm sorry is different from when someone need to seek ur attention and the only word from them is SORRY; for instance, you are standing on a road and preventing someone else from passing through, I guess using the word "sorry" may sound offensive in my own way, but one can politely tell the person "Excuse me please" or for instance you want to woo a girl on the road and the first word from you to her is "sorry". Won't she feel like, I have not been offended or nothing is wrong with me. As for me I feel somehow if you tell me " sorry" wen nothing is wrong with me.
Anyway, English language is a very wide language on it own and no one is expected to be perfect.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by gcof(m): 9:21pm On Jun 20, 2018
1shortblackboy:
your head dey there

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Minjim: 9:38pm On Jun 20, 2018
If you want to ask for direction and you interrupted someone ( who's obviously busy), I think its appropriate to say: " Sorry to disturb you. Can kindly direct me to this address? "
Just to convey your regrets for the interruption
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by SolexxBarry(m): 10:15pm On Jun 20, 2018
Everybody is angry in this country,u just have to apologise for their frustration grin cheesy
Instagram account of 13k followers fo sale biko call/whatsapp 08133261377

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by scopycharles: 11:19pm On Jun 20, 2018
In issue like this the both is correct whether sorry or excuse now listen ppl say sorry because they feel cumn to u to ask u something means disturbing u distracting u from ur focus and disturbing ur movement of thinking because he/she believe u have something that is disturbing u more than you asking he/she a question or help. So sorry or excuse is correct my dear.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jun 20, 2018
I only use it for my project supervisor, she tend to be easily irritated and I don't want to get on her bad side. Outside that, I say "excuse me"
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Nobody: 6:51am On Jun 21, 2018
Bottom line is, people are angry by default in this country so you better start with sorry or OYO is your case.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Carter4luv(m): 6:58am On Jun 21, 2018
The well known English is sorry.
Don't go try excuse me with a yoruba man or woman who don't understand English very well. Cux the hot slap u will receive, u will tell the person sorry by force for slapping u.
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by DonHummer(m): 7:50am On Jun 21, 2018
Cause in this country, everyone is angry by default
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Nobody: 9:33am On Jun 21, 2018
The sorry is to protect yourself and pre-empt a possible outburst (like a slap) from the ever-belligerent nigerians grin
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Sistar: 1:00pm On Jun 21, 2018
Dranoid:

Typo error is allowed...as long as you understandeth.
All am.saying is dont belittle the female sex.
I didnt rem saying anyone here spelt wrongly...as long as the message was passed accross.no offense
Belittle ...check.the replies na girls talk.
He needs to apologize for replying her wrongly
Grammar teacherer
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Sistar: 1:07pm On Jun 21, 2018
Untainted007:

Very thoughtful and straight to point you have raised here. But it seems most people here are not getting what I was trying to point out here. Saying I'm sorry is different from when someone need to seek ur attention and the only word from them is SORRY; for instance, you are standing on a road and preventing someone else from passing through, I guess using the word "sorry" may sound offensive in my own way, but one can politely tell the person "Excuse me please" or for instance you want to woo a girl on the road and the first word from you to her is "sorry". Won't she feel like, I have not been offended or nothing is wrong with me. As for me I feel somehow if you tell me " sorry" wen nothing is wrong with me.
Anyway, English language is a very wide language on it own and no one is expected to be perfect.
Objectivity is no crime
sorry ... is a synonmys of excuse me
Check your dictionary na
Or better still ask Wole Soyinka
Lesson to be learnt ..which ever way you use it ..its fine.
Dont see anybody saying sorry -exquiz me as an illiterate
Re: Why Do People Say "SORRY" Instead Of "EXCUSE ME'' When They Needs Your Attention by Sistar: 1:19pm On Jun 21, 2018
You say "sorry" after having inconvenienced someone.

"I suspect they're both equally valid and you decide to employ each as befits your own sense of conversational aesthetics. If you unexpectedly sneezed on somebody you could look up full of remorse and state either with the same level of regret and request for forgiveness. Sorry and excuse me both seem perfectly valid comments to make when manoeuvering around someone as well. I think this is a situation when you are able to choose according to your own ear and what is the preferred word/phrase to suit yourself."

(1) (Reply)

Teacher Beaten Mercilessly For Stopping Student From Assaulting Female Student / Top 5 Toughest College Courses/majors / case closed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.