Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,669 members, 7,837,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. (4140 Views)

Best 20W50 Engine Oil / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage / Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by nurey(m): 8:35pm On Jun 22, 2018
weyreypey is = smartchoices = smellingmenses = freshvine and others.
besides the op is a troll he knows the right thing just pulling ur legs.

the op still has other tons of moniker but I will keep them secret for now

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 9:37pm On Jun 22, 2018
nurey:

Quit trolling here. Find your demons elsewhere. Thanks

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 9:41pm On Jun 22, 2018
Two bottles of Mobil XHP oil unleashed in my w210 m112 engine yesterday.... However I noticed that my car started roughly today.... Temp was low.... But smoothed out when engine got warm.
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by LeJeun3: 11:36pm On Jun 22, 2018
nurey:

This na normal.....

Once he has lost attention he goes creative.

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 8:41am On Jun 23, 2018
....... eagles gonna fly and....

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by ntyce(m): 7:15am On Jun 25, 2018
Good day guys,
I need your advice, I got a Hyundai sonata 06 February this year.
Mobil 1 5w-20 was used as specified on the engine.
3 weeks after, a leak was noticed as a result of rust of the engine tray/seat.
The entire oil was drained, rust was stopped with glue and painting of the tray.
The drained oil was added back to the engine, I bought additional 1 quartz to ensure the oil gauged to the normal level.

A month after I started to observe that the oil comes out short every day.
Today, the oil gauge was only at the tip.

What could be the cause, someone suggested that I switch from 5w-20 to 30 or 40 cos of its thickness (viscosity)
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by nakoks(m): 8:55am On Jun 25, 2018
ntyce:
Good day guys,
The entire oil was drained, rust was stopped with glue and painting of the tray.
The drained oil was added back to the engine, I bought additional 1 quartz to ensure the oil gauged to the normal level.

What could be the cause, someone suggested that I switch from 5w-20 to 30 or 40 cos of its thickness (viscosity)
I suggest you carry out a physical inspection for physical leaks.If non is noticed switch to 5w30 and if it continues 10w40.If after 10w40 it continues then that means your engine has started singing "I am coming home,i'm coming home".

2 Likes

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by nurey(m): 9:10am On Jun 25, 2018
ntyce:
Good day guys,

you are working on theory and speculations. it's time for diagnosis

armed with petrol and engine cold, go under the car and wash all dirt and debris off of the car.

next is to place a carton under the car overnight just to confirm there is no leak.

now in the morning go and check the carton, if oil is noticed then the seal is still leaking, if oil stain is also noticed under car parts, then the oil is stream leaking. with these evidence you know where ur oil is escaping from

If there is no oil leaks on carton or under carriage, then the engine is burning oil excessively that's internal leak. if you notice smoke from bonnet when engine is warming up then u also have a leak from engine seals

2 Likes

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by ntyce(m): 10:43am On Jun 25, 2018
nakoks:

I suggest you carry out a physical inspection for physical leaks.If non is noticed switch to 5w30 and if it continues 10w40.If after 10w40 it continues then that means your engine has started singing "I am coming home,i'm coming home".

Thanks for the response.
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 2:46pm On Jun 25, 2018
nakoks:

Where do you buy car engines from?
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by erico2k2(m): 7:42pm On Jun 25, 2018
weyreypey:

Whaat? Well my engine is gonna love the 20w50 oil. Even I might switch to SAE40... Single grade oil.... We don't have seasons or extreme temperatures that requires multigrade oils
Stick to your car oil requirement if not you car will sound like cassava Engine in less than 6 months.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 8:25pm On Jun 25, 2018
erico2k2:

Stick to your car oil requirement if not you car will sound like cassava Engine in less than 6 months.
Can you kindly explain further?
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by erico2k2(m): 8:33pm On Jun 25, 2018
weyreypey:

Can you kindly explain further?
manufactureres give specific weight of oil needed for thier Engines, you are meant to stick to that Oil,The vast number of Nigerians who are not in the know tend to just use any oil they deeem fit.Imagine me going to one texaco service station to change the Mrs car Oil, thank God I bought my own oil but the guy has one galoon of oil he uses for all cars, and everyone was smiling and paying for the damage he was doing to thier engine,Now you may not notice the difference in sound cos you are using it everyday, but compare urs with a car just landed from the US,the difference would be clear like 7up
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 8:48pm On Jun 25, 2018
erico2k2:

manufactureres give specific weight of oil needed for thier Engines, you are meant to stick to that Oil,The vast number of Nigerians who are not in the know tend to just use any oil they deeem fit.Imagine me going to one texaco service station to change the Mrs car Oil, thank God I bought my own oil but the guy has one galoon of oil he uses for all cars, and everyone was smiling and paying for the damage he was doing to thier engine,Now you may not notice the difference in sound cos you are using it everyday, but compare urs with a car just landed from the US,the difference would be clear like 7up
Oh okay
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 11:03am On Jun 26, 2018
nakoks:

I am predicting you would have engine issues sooner than you expect."Benz engines are indestructible" but with someone like you ,they might just rephrase that
Even with the oil I used?

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by nakoks(m): 11:26am On Jun 26, 2018
weyreypey:

Where do you buy car engines from?
I am not in the business of buying car engines but the few times i have assisted someone to,I go direct to the warehouses in ladipo.As they are offloading from the container i select my thing.Note this type of engine is non refundable(what you see is what you get,if it doesn't crank, steam well or smokes you are OYO.The catch is that its cheaper,neater,you are sure it has not been tampered and it always works for me thus far at least.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 11:49am On Jun 26, 2018
nakoks:

I am not in the business of buying car engines but the few times i have assisted someone to,I go direct to the warehouses in ladipo.As they are offloading from the container i select my thing.Note this type of engine is non refundable(what you see is what you get,if it doesn't crank, steam well or smokes you are OYO.The catch is that its cheaper,neater,you are sure it has not been tampered and it always works for me thus far at least.

Ok thanks.
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by meetchandus(m): 7:16am On Jul 23, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Please submit proof.

For anyone that is interested, this is a fallacy, especially on modern vehicles.

PS: I use Mobil 1 European 0W40.

It is the only M1 that meets this spec below.

Mobil 1 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:

MB-Approval 229.3

X

MB-Approval 229.5

X

BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01

X

VW 502 00/505 00

X

PORSCHE A40

Please how do you get your 0w40 oil.I have searched but couldnt get the us spec..I will appreciate a feedback and mention to this question..thanks
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 23, 2018
meetchandus:

Please how do you get your 0w40 oil.I have searched but couldnt get the us spec..I will appreciate a feedback and mention to this question..thanks

I split my time between US and Nigeria.

I buy it at Walmart.Com, you can reach out to Gazzuzz and/or RadAutoWorks to see if they can special order it for you o you can order yourself and ship it via any of the Nairaland forward shippers. It's a pretty simple process.

I commend you in trying to get the correct oil for your car.

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by AutoElectNG: 8:07am On Jul 23, 2018
nakoks:

I am predicting you would have engine issues sooner than you expect."Benz engines are indestructible" but with someone like you ,they might just rephrase that
Mercedes Benz engines can be destroyed
https://www.nairaland.com/4611461/engine-oil-encyclopedia-everything-need#69298234
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by meetchandus(m): 8:11am On Jul 23, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I split my time between US and Nigeria.

I buy it at Walmart.Com, you can reach out to Gazzuzz and/or RadAutoWorks to see if they can special order it for you o you can order yourself and ship it via any of the Nairaland forward shippers. It's a pretty simple process.

I commend you in trying to get the correct oil for your car.

Thanks a lot.the demand is quite low here in nigeria.Reached out to gazzuzz but he doesn't have any in stock. Will try to order and ship down here..

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:12am On Jul 23, 2018
meetchandus:

Thanks a lot.the demand is quite low here in nigeria.Reached out to gazzuzz but he doesn't have any in stock. Will try to order and ship down here..

5liter pack 0w-40 21k can supply if you want it today.
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by AutoElectNG: 11:59pm On Jul 23, 2018
Just wanted to make the observation that there is another oil that comes pretty close to Mobil1 in respect of the criteria below (see picture 1)

It does not have BMW Long Life Approval though, it seems to tick all the other boxes( read that to mean approvals) though

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by Nobody: 12:12am On Jul 24, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Just wanted to make the observation that there is another oil that comes pretty close to Mobil1 in respect of the criteria below (see picture 1)

It does not have BMW Long Life Approval though, it seems to tick all the other boxes( read that to mean approvals) though

Right but two quick things El Maestro grin

1) I said the only M1 that meets VW. There are many other brands that meets VW here such as Motul, etc but I don’t need to feel like taking out a second mortgage at each oil change. Read..they cost more than M1, so why bother?

2) I’m a stickler for sticking to oil weights and loath to change viscosity unless proven well by others on a long term. The one you shown is not 0W40.

Here is a shocker.

I, EgunMogaji oko Suliyat, will use Nigerian M1 effortlessly.

What I will do however is send a sample to be tested to ascertain the right mileage for change. I will also only use filter from well known manufacturers like Bosch, Mann, K&N, Purolator. I won’t use any Fram even on a lawnmower.

There’s a lab in Nigeria that I found out during a chat here some years back.

The devil, as they say, is in the detail cheesy
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by AutoElectNG: 12:17am On Jul 24, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Right but two quick things El Maestro grin

1) I said the only M1 that meets VW. There are many other brands that meets VW here such as Motul, etc but I don’t need to feel like taking out a second mortgage at each oil change. Read..they cost more than M1, so why bother?

2) I’m a stickler for sticking to oil weights and loath to change viscosity unless proven well by others on a long term. The one you shown is not 0W40.

Here is a shocker.

I, EgunMogaji oko Suliyat, will use Nigerian M1 effortlessly.

What I will do however is send a sample to be tested to ascertain the right mileage for change. I will also only use filter from well known manufacturers like Bosch, Mann, K&N, Purolator. I won’t use any Fram even on a lawnmower.

There’s a lab in Nigeria that I found out during a chat here some years back.

The devil, as they say, is in the detail cheesy

0w40 and 5w40 are a little different, agreed.

If they cost more, that is a minus, agreed.

Name of the lab in Nigeria? Please...I could save time and turnaround with some plans up my sleeve.

So many misconceptions about engine oil here in Nigerian, I am planning to personally run some Blackstone tests to share with nairalanders to dispel some of those misconceptions.

I already have something coming up soon courtesy of one of the biggest fluid testing companies in the US...details will be out in a couple of weeks.

I too use Bosch, Mann and Mobil 1 filters.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by Nobody: 3:45am On Jul 24, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Name of the lab in Nigeria? Please...I could save time and turnaround with some plans up my sleeve.

So many misconceptions about engine oil here in Nigerian, I am planning to personally run some Blackstone tests to share with nairalanders to dispel some of those misconceptions.

I already have something coming up soon courtesy of one of the biggest fluid testing companies in the US...details will be out in a couple of weeks.

I'll go through my archives to find the name. I think Siena clued me in on it.

Here is some info on Motul. I could do almost three 5,000 to 6,500 mile oil changes on M1 to one Motul. Guess which one an Ijebu man will choose grin

When I was running my race prep Ducati Supersport I was using Motul.

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by Nobody: 3:57am On Jul 24, 2018
Another good brand is Royal Purple. $60 bucks for 6 quarts. It's only money grin

I do use their diff oils for differentials and gearbox. But that's more for bragging rights.

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by AutoElectNG: 10:40am On Jul 24, 2018
One thing is clear...those who pamper their cars do not consider resale costs if they ever plan to dispose of them

those who consider the cost of resale and let that influence which car to buy do not love their cars, talk less of pamper them

They consider their cars to be utility...pay the least to use them...and offload them so as to recover any and all expenses incurred from running the utility

You EgunMogaji oko Suliyat belong to those who love their cars and I am trying to demonstrate that is the class I belong to

I would rather find someone to gift my car who will appreciate the beauty and the work I have done to it than try to trade it with a view to recovering all my investments to date

The utility approach is inconsistent with using the best oils possible..be it Mobil 1, Motul, Royal Purple or Mannol

2 Likes

Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by AutoElectNG: 7:09am On Aug 06, 2018
AutoElectNG:

I now have in stock FluidRX testing kits...I published it here https://www.nairaland.com/4659358/test-condition-vital-fluids-fluid
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 7:19am On Aug 06, 2018
AutoElectNG:

I need those long life oil filters...where can I get one for w210 e320 V6?
Cc
Radautoworks
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by radautoworks: 8:49am On Aug 06, 2018
weyreypey:

I need those long life oil filters...where can I get one for w210 e320 V6?
Cc
Radautoworks

Sorry, there are only lifetime air filters for this car.
Re: Engine Oil Requirements ... Advice Needed.. by weyreypey: 8:57am On Aug 06, 2018
radautoworks:

Sorry, there are only lifetime air filters for this car.
For w203 c320 2003 model fleece oil filters

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nominate / Peugeot 307 Issues: Anti Air Pollution SOLUTION / Toyota Corolla Steering Is Hard To Turn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.