Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,989 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa (38198 Views)

Nigeria's Largest Built-up Urban Areas In 2021 - Demographia / Lagos And Onitsha Are Most Urbanized Areas In Nigeria - Demographia 2020 Report / 2019 Largest Built-Up Urban Area: Lagos, Onitsha Ranked 1st, 2nd In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 8:23pm On Jun 25, 2018
aribisala0:

Stop and use your head

What is this concept of most "Built up" town or city . What does it mean? How is it measured

Is there really such a thing?

Can you expalin that in less than 30 words
Lazy Nigerian yoot as usual, OP gave you a link and everything was explicitly explained and how the results were scientifically obtained, yet you want me to explain to you again.
I know you suddenly developed amnesia because Onitsha had trounced your over hyped Ibadan and almost on the same level with your over over and over hyped Lagos.
Deal with the headache and high blood pressure.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 25, 2018
Kasy08133625633:
Onitsha is now more or less a mega city. The city has grown beyond the original Onitsha North & South. Today, Onitsha metropolis includes: Ogbaru, Ogidi, Idemmili, Ogbunike, Nsugbe, Obosi, Oba, Nkwelle etc. The city has kept expanding and expanding because it represents to the SE what Lagos and PH represents to the SW and SS respectively.

Bros, onitsha does not in anyway stand as a mega city as lagos stands to sw, truth is, the five states of the SE can be categorised independently based on their different features, for instance, for peace and serene environment, enugu stands as no.1, for mega business environment and dirtyness, Aba is no.1 for for luxury and tourism, imo takes that, i don't even know where to grade onitsha in all of this.
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 8:28pm On Jun 25, 2018
vowsng:

Bros, onitsha does not in anyway stand as a mega city as lagos stands to sw, truth is, the five states of the SE can be categorised independently based on their different features, for instance, for peace and serene environment, enugu stands as no.1, for mega business environment and dirtyness, Aba is no.1 for for luxury and tourism, imo takes that, i don't even know where to grade onitsha in all of this.
Go through the link the OP provided and stop feeling pained, anyone who knows Onitsha well will definitely tell you it has been a mega city even before now.
Travel and see and stop thinking everything about Nigeria starts and ends in Lagos

9 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by darfay: 8:33pm On Jun 25, 2018
Anambralstson:

Onitsha host more high-rises than any city in Nigeria, having two skyscraper in middle of slums don't really make sense to me, last I visited Ibadan more than 85% of Coco house apartments are empty no tenants, especially last floor to fourth floor, same with Marina and most areas in Lagos, outside banks headquarters, majority of the skyscrapers are empty

Building skyscraper in the east is not problem, major issue fully utilization.

Onitsha below

High-rise is a building of 12 stories and above. So you might want to check your stats again
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 8:36pm On Jun 25, 2018
darfay:

High-rise is a building of 12 stories and above. So you might want to check your stats again
Ok but Onitsha remains the most vertical city in Nigeria, if not in Africa.
Most residential building are within the 4-6 storey category, no other town or city in Nigeria can boast of that, not even Lagos, Abuja or PH.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 8:39pm On Jun 25, 2018
vowsng:

You are ignorant boy, you are from Edo state
Anambra State remains a key hub with the largest commercial market in West Africa showing a significant export investment opportunity, Trade, Services and Industrialisation “Anambra State is a very viable state and is business oriented. It actually plays the part of Lagos for the South-South and South-East and is a good business anchor for the whole of the country linking the North to the South.
Anambra State is widely known for the large trade and commercial in two of its major cities; Onitsha and Nnewi,These cities provide the link for trade and distribution of goods between Northern and Southern Nigeria, and into West Africa. The state is home to many indigenous conglomerates

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 8:44pm On Jun 25, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/1998213/cbn-ranks-anambra-state-2nd

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/lagos-6-other-states-control-90-of-cash-transactions-in-nigeria-cbn/

https://www.nairaland.com/1175060/cbn-ranks-anambra-third-deposit

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/made-anambra-nigerias-4th-largest-economy-gov-obiano/

http://punchng.com/soludo-commends-gov-obiano-over-anambra-economy/

So a state like this can only be compared to Lagos in Nigeria, others should kip kwayet.

Why won't Onitsha, its key city rival Lagos with all these figures and stats or maybe you guys felt we all migrated into Onitsha to just catch a glimpse of the River Niger.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by biafraisdead(m): 8:50pm On Jun 25, 2018
ariesbull:

Go and learn the meaning of built up before you come and mind you port has a lot of low buildings ...in Onitsha it's a taboo to even build a 2 storey building....
so what u just said is it the same thing as most developed?
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by biafraisdead(m): 8:53pm On Jun 25, 2018
Ziggylady:

Back to sender.. Back to you and your generation in IJN.
so u sabi pray. men of little faith like u. how was ur day?
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Jaideyone(m): 9:28pm On Jun 25, 2018
TundeBricklayer:
Bitter people I guess Anambra man is in charge of world demographia

Op add these pictures to you post.

Lalasticlala
those of your celebrating this news are just very ignorant.

most built up means the cities with least available undeveloped landmass. Onitsha and Lagos are small hence they are on top of the list.

it's easier to build up Lagos and Onitsha but it's not easy to build up Ibadan that is twice the size of entire Anambra state!!!

ignoramus!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 9:35pm On Jun 25, 2018
Jaideyone:

most built up means the cities with least available undeveloped landmass. Onitsha and Lagos are small hence they are on top of the list.

it's easier to build up Lagos and Onitsha but it's not easy to build up Ibadan that is twice the size of entire Anambra state!!!

ignoramus!!!
Go through the link the OP provided and read through before displaying your ignorance for the whole world to see.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 9:41pm On Jun 25, 2018
Jaideyone:

ignoramus!!!
Please we are not discussing slums prevalence in Africa, that's only area Ibadan ranked highest in Africa and one of the biggest slum cities in the world.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by darfay: 9:57pm On Jun 25, 2018
Yyeske:
Ok but Onitsha remains the most vertical city in Nigeria, if not in Africa.
Most residential building are within the 4-6 storey category, no other town or city in Nigeria can boast of that, not even Lagos, Abuja or PH.

Thank God you didn't argue blindly. I noticed that too, if there was constant electricity, it would have easily taken the crown of the city with most high-rise
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by aribisala0(m): 10:07pm On Jun 25, 2018
Yyeske:
Lazy Nigerian yoot as usual, OP gave you a link and everything was explicitly explained and how the results were scientifically obtained, yet you want me to explain to you again.
I know you suddenly developed amnesia because Onitsha had trounced your over hyped Ibadan a nd almost on the same level with your over over and over hyped Lagos.
Deal with the headache and high blood pressure.
You deserve sympathy
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by darfay: 10:25pm On Jun 25, 2018
aribisala0:
Who the hell is demoraphia.com??

YOu think you are dealin with your fellow Ebola ignoramuses? You o and unearth some dody blo and start jerking yourselves off?

What is the meaning of

"BUILT UP"

What is the definition of that??

I wonder why so much masturbation on this thread.
Built up simply means there is no land in the city which is either due to small size of the city or large population, all south eastern cities are in the list because of the above.
UK has more built up cities dan US because of the above so it is no biggie
All the Nigerian slums abi na city listed above built up with no infrastructure inside cannot match Bloemfontein, FS South Africa in anything but population
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jun 25, 2018
TundeBricklayer:

You are ignorant boy, you are from Edo state
Anambra State remains a key hub with the largest commercial market in West Africa showing a significant export investment opportunity, Trade, Services and Industrialisation “Anambra State is a very viable state and is business oriented. It actually plays the part of Lagos for the South-South and South-East and is a good business anchor for the whole of the country linking the North to the South.
Anambra State is widely known for the large trade and commercial in two of its major cities; Onitsha and Nnewi,These cities provide the link for trade and distribution of goods between Northern and Southern Nigeria, and into West Africa. The state is home to many indigenous conglomerates

You didnt really have to use that word at the bolded.
Btw, i'm not from Edo state, i am your brother if you accept.

All what you listed up there i don't refute but saying it serves as the lagos of south east or/ south south is pure exaggeration.

Some part of lagos has got a serene/peaceful environment, some part business area, some part home for hospitality but you can't say such for anambra, you cant name an area in anambra that is good for hospitality better than enugu, you cant also name an area more commercial than Aba, you can't also name an area more industrialised like portharcourt, anambra just has all of the afore mentioned in little quantites so can't serve as the lagos of south east/ south south cause lagos has it all and can't be compared in all of the above to any south western state.
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by darfay: 10:59pm On Jun 25, 2018
Anambralstson:

Can you define High-Rise for me

High-rise is a building of 12 stories or over, so my brother there isn't a single high-rise in the south east
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by ariesbull: 11:56pm On Jun 25, 2018
darfay:

High-rise is a building of 12 stories or over, so my brother there isn't a single high-rise in the south east

They said built up
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Petdagr8t(m): 12:05am On Jun 26, 2018
Ofemannnu:
Good for Lagos, Onitsha,Ibadan and the rest in the list but Ibadan is more developed than all South East joined together. What will you do about that grin
Egbon....
you mean Ibadan has more red roofs than Onitsha ?.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by aribisala0(m): 12:23am On Jun 26, 2018
ariesbull:

They said built up

DEFINE

builtup

what does it mean
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by OfficialAwol(m): 12:25am On Jun 26, 2018
Ziggylady:

A truck-load were sent back minutes ago to stop them from taking the 'leap' of fate grin cheesy

lol. They never believed any city in southeast will make list of developed cities.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by aribisala0(m): 12:30am On Jun 26, 2018
Ebola people are embarrassing in their desperation to be relevant.

One ignoramus even used the word

TROUNCED

I asked from the get go why this built up thing is a good thing nstead the usual insults were thrown.

Most built up simply means most crowded with buildings which is not a good thing but a sign of building overcrowding.

So Mushin and Orile are more built up than Ikoyi and Ikeja GRA simples

Ebola people.
chai!
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by ariesbull: 12:40am On Jun 26, 2018
aribisala0:

DEFINE

builtup

what does it mean

How many times do I have to do this ? I have defined it before ..pls go Google and stop running amok

For the last time
A developed area, i.e. any land on which buildings and/or nonbuilding structures are present, normally as part of a larger developed environment such as: developed land lot.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Built-up_area

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 1:17am On Jun 26, 2018
darfay:

Thank God you didn't argue blindly. I noticed that too, if there was constant electricity, it would have easily taken the crown of the city with most high-rise
Convince me there's constant electricity in Lagos and Ibadan, I mean 12 hours electricity everyday

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 1:18am On Jun 26, 2018
aribisala0:
You deserve sympathy
E pain am, Onitsha has stolen the show from your much touted Ibadan and Lagos, sorry dear.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 1:24am On Jun 26, 2018
aribisala0:
Ebola people are embarrassing in their desperation to be relevant.

One ignoramus even used the word

TROUNCED

I asked from the get go why this built up thing is a good thing nstead the usual insults were thrown.

Most built up simply means most crowded with buildings which is not a good thing but a sign of building overcrowding.

So Mushin and Orile are more built up than Ikoyi and Ikeja GRA simples

Ebola people.
chai!
You saw two lists of cities depicting population and landmass respectively so what is your problem, is it because Onitsha ranks higher in population and landmass over your Ibadan?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 1:25am On Jun 26, 2018
aribisala0:

DEFINE

builtup

what does it mean
Go through the link and get the definition of built up, don't think anyone will do that for you
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 1:27am On Jun 26, 2018
vowsng:

You didnt really have to use that word at the bolded.
Btw, i'm not from Edo state, i am your brother if you accept.

All what you listed up there i don't refute but saying it serves as the lagos of south east or/ south south is pure exaggeration.

Some part of lagos has got a serene/peaceful environment, some part business area, some part home for hospitality but you can't say such for anambra, you cant name an area in anambra that is good for hospitality better than enugu, you cant also name an area more commercial than Aba, you can't also name an area more industrialised like portharcourt, anambra just has all of the afore mentioned in little quantites so can't serve as the lagos of south east/ south south cause lagos has it all and can't be compared in all of the above to any south western state.
Why not keep quiet if you have nothing to say

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Jaideyone(m): 2:31am On Jun 26, 2018
Yyeske:
Go through the link the OP provided and read through before displaying your ignorance for the whole world to see.
lol see the yyeske that is wildly known for his ignorance calling someone else ignorant grin

Ibadan is 3000sqkm

Onitsha is 52sqkm

I can completely bring out 50 Onitsha from Ibadan.

so what's the big deal is Onitsha is build up with that small land mass? grin

cc tundebricklayer
the post above is addressing your ignorance too.

see attached picture. use Google and prove me wrong grin

1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by kettykings: 4:31am On Jun 26, 2018
Paperwhite:
Lasgidi should have been a more beautiful mega city by now going by the IGR but the corruption of the APC government will not let it be.
Onitsha is the Lagos analogue of the Eastern region.

my thoughts are these , if Onitsha is 99% powered by purely private effort of igbos and 0.2% powered by federal government effort and if Lagos is 99% powered by both Federal Government Effort and the effort of other tribes like igbos and 0.2 % powered by yoruba private effort , then it is just a matter of Time , more mobilisation of private efforts before Onitsha will over take Lagos

8 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 5:07am On Jun 26, 2018
Anambra & proud. I remember when I first discovered that onitsha was the most densely populated city in Africa, I was surprised. This development just reaffirms the ingenuity of the IGBOman.. Big ups to osha

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 6:32am On Jun 26, 2018
Jaideyone:
lol see the yyeske that is wildly known for his ignorance calling someone else ignorant grin

Ibadan is 3000sqkm

Onitsha is 52sqkm

I can completely bring out 50 Onitsha from Ibadan.

so what's the big deal is Onitsha is build up with that small land mass? grin

cc tundebricklayer
the post above is addressing your ignorance too.

see attached picture. use Google and prove me wrong grin

Largely filled with slums, that's a town I know very well, I did my NYSC in Oyo state, Onitsha metro doesn't end in Onitsha north and south, Onitsha has expanded to four more LGs, Onitsha is smallest among the five LGs that make-up Onitsha metro. Go to the table of the demogaphia and check out areas that was built up by descent buildings and checkout Ibadan that have descent buildings not slums.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 People Who Survived The Impossible. / Tanker Climbs Over Man's Car In Warri But He Came Out Without A Scratch. Photos / Two Corps Members Die As Vehicle Plunges Into River In Enugu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.