Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,125 members, 7,818,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Why Am An Atheist - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Am An Atheist (4399 Views)

I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / An Atheist On Judgment Day / As An Atheist Would You Circumcise Your Male Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Am An Atheist by pressplay411(m): 6:33am On Jul 01, 2018
hakeem4:
you’ve over 95 post I can’t easily scroll through

I meant the most recent. I believe "Religion Is Your Enemy" and "My Testimony" whould minister to you sir.
Re: Why Am An Atheist by Hakeem12(m): 12:52pm On Jul 01, 2018
frank317:

It's all about the whole human wishy wishy thing. I remember how I used to love superman and batman comics and movies as a kid. Funny enough I still love them now...

U know what religion did.. It personalized God as people's own hero... Hence so many are carried away
And even one more question for believers too. Since christianity and islam spread to Africa, it wasnt ours to begin with. Would all our ancestors that died before religion spread to Africa all go to hell?

5 Likes

Re: Why Am An Atheist by frank317: 1:05pm On Jul 01, 2018
Primesky:

Why do you say we both don't know how things came about?, did I say that, or are you trying to save face?. God made everything. You're the one living in denial.

Hahaha... Where did your reasoning come from? I am sure you don't know as well. Well, let me help you again, God gave you everything you have, including your brain. It's just that you have chosen to use it wrongly. Like wise Moa after messing up, realised himself early and retracted. I'm still hopeful for you that you will retrace your steps and come back to the one who really loves you. You can't even love your self like Jesus Christ loves you. It's totally beyond your imagination.

Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Stop living in denial and believing in lie. The truth is staring at you in the face. Oh brother, wake up!.

A three headed red elephant created everything and not God
Re: Why Am An Atheist by Primesky(m): 2:00pm On Jul 01, 2018
frank317:

Your choice is yours.

1 Like

Re: Why Am An Atheist by frank317: 9:10pm On Jul 01, 2018
Primesky:

Your choice is yours.

now u are getting my point

2 Likes

Re: Why Am An Atheist by dalaman: 7:48pm On Jul 02, 2018
Primesky:

Your choice is yours.

You feel your myth is better than his?

2 Likes

Re: Why Am An Atheist by ScienceWatch: 9:48pm On Jul 02, 2018
dalaman:

So your God gave him the idea to write about moon Goddess abi? Continue telling lies. Jesus is is a mythical construct. Stop spewing nonsensical mythology.
Could This pic be saying something meaningful.

3 Likes

Re: Why Am An Atheist by superhumanist(m): 3:52am On Jul 03, 2018
budaatum:

Ironically, reading the Bible is what made me realise too that I'd always been an atheist. I started reading it at 9 and got to the end by my 13th birthday and that did for me. I just couldn't see it how I was being told to.

What about people born into atheist homes?
Re: Why Am An Atheist by budaatum: 12:19pm On Jul 03, 2018
superhumanist:

What about people born into atheist homes?
My home was atheistic when I arrived in it. Though both had Bibles, neither parent went to Church or prayed at the time, as they were too busy learning and earning their way. Ma was a nurse. Double pay on Sunday was more important than Church. And Pa a lawyer, was prepared to reason any illogicality out the park. You mentioned ordinary Father Christmas and you'd get books to read on the topic!

I was introduced to God when I arrived in Nigeria. Everyone did God! It was alien to me, but going to Church was the only way to get out of the house on a boring Sunday. So I became a church junky and reading the Bible just became the next logical step being that I am a reader anyway. What else after all does one do when the transformer in front of the house blows up and we got no power for three months. I began to understand how people around me reasoned when all my mates swore blind that oyinbo rats talk.

I think being born into an atheist home is similar to being born into a religious home except your ideology would be atheistic as opposed to religious. You get taught the path you should trod, and only the brave depart from it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Am An Atheist by dalaman: 10:27am On Jul 11, 2018
budaatum:

My home was atheistic when I arrived in it. Though both had Bibles, neither parent went to Church or prayed at the time, as they were too busy learning and earning their way. Ma was a nurse. Double pay on Sunday was more important than Church. And Pa a lawyer, was prepared to reason any illogicality out the park. You mentioned ordinary Father Christmas and you'd get books to read on the topic!

I was introduced to God when I arrived in Nigeria. Everyone did God! It was alien to me, but going to Church was the only way to get out of the house on a boring Sunday. So I became a church junky and reading the Bible just became the next logical step being that I am a reader anyway. What else after all does one do when the transformer in front of the house blows up and we got no power for three months. I began to understand how people around me reasoned when all my mates swore blind that oyinbo rats talk.

I think being born into an atheist home is similar to being born into a religious home except your ideology would be atheistic as opposed to religious. You get taught the path you should trod, and only the brave depart from it.

Interesting childhood you had.

1 Like

Re: Why Am An Atheist by hahn(m): 10:39am On Jul 11, 2018
budaatum:

I was born into an atheistic home too and I can argue that, even by your write up, that being born in a religious home and an atheistic home are both very different things.

In a religious home you are forced to believe in god. Religious parents beat, starve, torture and can even disown their children for not attending church or mosque whereas in an atheist home you learn to view things with skepticism and like you mentioned your father made you read on such topics.

As an atheist parent the only thing I do for my kids is make them question whatever belief they pick up from society and research on those topics.

In religious homes usually the bible is the number choice for a read

4 Likes

Re: Why Am An Atheist by dalaman: 11:09am On Jul 11, 2018
hahn:

I was born into an atheistic home too and I can argue that, even by your write up, that being born in a religious home and an atheistic home are both very different things.

In a religious home you are forced to believe in god. Religious parents beat, starve, torture and can even disown their children for not attending church or mosque whereas in an atheist home you learn to view things with skepticism and like you mentioned your father made you read on such topics.

As an atheist parent the only thing I do for my kids is make them question whatever belief they pick up from society and research on those topics.

As an atheist I don't force my children to be atheist. Religious people foce their kids to be religious just like them. My two daughters are Christians even though am an atheist. My wife is now much less religious than she used to be(she hardly attends church maybe it's because we are now living outside Nigeria ). My daughters are much less religious than I was when I was their age cos our up bringing is quite different. But over all atheist are more liberal and don't force their beliefs on their kids like Christians.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Am An Atheist by vaxx: 11:28am On Jul 11, 2018
"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing -- they believe in anything." -- GK Chesterton

3 Likes

Re: Why Am An Atheist by Seun(m): 11:35am On Jul 11, 2018
dalaman:
My two daughters are Christians even though am an atheist.
Are they true Christians or just going to church to please their mother? Are they well educated on religion? Did you teach them critical thinking?

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Am An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 11:55am On Jul 11, 2018
hahn:

TBF there are atheist families too that use the same methods religious families use to teach atheism to their children although they're very rare, its just that its not as effective as scaring them with imaginary friends and afterlife so those children would most likely end up choosing their paths anyways

2 Likes

Re: Why Am An Atheist by dalaman: 11:58am On Jul 11, 2018
Seun:

Are they true Christians or just going to church to please their mother? Are they well educated on religion? Did you teach them critical thinking?

Your attention is needed on this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/4610508/man-girlfriend-drown-jos-river#69271814

You need to tell your mods to take it down.
Re: Why Am An Atheist by edicied: 1:25pm On Jul 11, 2018
Am not an Atheist anymore am now a Traditional worshiper grin
Re: Why Am An Atheist by hahn(m): 2:08pm On Jul 11, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

TBF there are atheist families too that use the same methods religious families use to teach atheism to their children although they're very rare, its just that its not as effective as scaring them with imaginary friends and afterlife so those children would most likely end up choosing their paths anyways

@emboldened, seriously? You mean there are atheist family that try beat religion out of their kids? How many have you met?
Re: Why Am An Atheist by budaatum: 1:04am On Jul 12, 2018
vaxx:
"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing -- they believe in anything." -- GK Chesterton
I just wish that when people post this meaningless crap they'd do some research first, or at least, think a little. If it were true, wouldn't Yahweh atheist believe in Orunmila, or Sango, or fairies at the bottom of gardens, for that matter?

Here's a little link to what the The American Chesterton Society has to say about it in case you care.
Re: Why Am An Atheist by MuttleyLaff: 6:52am On Jul 12, 2018
budaatum:
I just wish that when people post this meaningless crap they'd do some research first, or at least, think a little.
If it were true, wouldn't Yahweh atheist believe in Orunmila, or Sango, or fairies at the bottom of gardens, for that matter?

Here's a little link to what the https://www.chesterton.org/ceases-to-worship/ has to say about it in case you care.
One man's crap is another man's treasure.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Am An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 9:09am On Jul 12, 2018
hahn:

@emboldened, seriously? You mean there are atheist family that try beat religion out of their kids? How many have you met?

Not to that extent though but there are families that reject religion and only teach the evil parts of religion to their children. they avoid talking about the good parts

Also there have been cases of atheists persecuting their children that chose religion through all sorts of methods. stories abound on the internet about such although I haven't met any such family before but it makes sense to believe such exist
Re: Why Am An Atheist by vaxx: 9:57am On Jul 12, 2018
budaatum:

I just wish that when people post this meaningless crap they'd do some research first, or at least, think a little. If it were true, wouldn't Yahweh atheist believe in Orunmila, or Sango, or fairies at the bottom of gardens, for that matter?

Here's a little link to what the The American Chesterton Society has to say about it in case you care.
You are actually talking to yourself but you will not admit. that quote remain sensible. If you don't believe in GOD, you believe all sorts of nonsense in stead. GOD is according to Occam's razor, evolution and abiogenesis are not. It's as simple as that.

1 Like

Re: Why Am An Atheist by budaatum: 10:25am On Jul 12, 2018
vaxx:
You are actually talking to yourself but you will not admit. that quote remain sensible. If you don't believe in GOD, you believe all sorts of nonsense in stead. GOD is according to Occam's razor, evolution and abiogenesis are not. It's as simple as that.
Are you serious? Aje ke lano, omo ku loni is Occam's razor too, and we, least quite many of us, now know how stupid that is!

Regardless, Chesterton never said anything of the sort, so let's just accept that's your opinion, shall we!
Re: Why Am An Atheist by Holyede: 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2018
hakeem4:
Nice article! I’m an atheist because I do not see any function of a god in the universe.
ever been mental?
Re: Why Am An Atheist by Holyede: 7:21pm On Jul 17, 2018
Hakeem12:
And even one more question for believers too. Since christianity and islam spread to Africa, it wasnt ours to begin with. Would all our ancestors that died before religion spread to Africa all go to hell?
God will judge them based on their sense of right and wrong (conscience), he's a just God
Re: Why Am An Atheist by Holyede: 7:38pm On Jul 17, 2018
Hakeem12:
Ironically, I think it comes from the bible itself. 1 Corinthians 13:11...When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

It began with being realistic and asking questions, religious people don't like you asking them questions. It makes them uncomfortable, they tell you to take on by faith what they can't find in their twisted ancient books. Each religion claims to be the only path to an imaginary heaven, which is bullshiit by the way. I found out that the average religious person reads just a book and acts like he knows all. Fighting imaginary monsters, witches, and other creatures whom they believe they fend off with their worship. My professor once asked me in class which religion I practise, I have had enough of pretence about that time and said none. I went further to say I don't even believe in God. You need to see the stares even my friends gave me. They looked at me as if I was afflicted or something. I said even if God exists, he doesn't believe in us. For a believer to repeat a single prayer line dozens of time and still have no assurance of answered prayers is pitiful at most.
Re: Why Am An Atheist by Holyede: 7:44pm On Jul 17, 2018
dalaman:

Your ignorance is God. That's all you are saying.
your plenty ignorance and petty arrogance is (self god) (nonsensical) pause for a second your highness, whats between your ears?
Re: Why Am An Atheist by Hakeem12(m): 7:56pm On Jul 17, 2018
Holyede:
God will judge them based on their sense of right and wrong (conscience), he's a just God
And you know this how?
Re: Why Am An Atheist by dalaman: 8:27pm On Jul 17, 2018
Holyede:

your plenty ignorance and petty arrogance is (self god) (nonsensical) pause for a second your highness, whats between your ears?

Shut up!
Re: Why Am An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 8:30pm On Jul 17, 2018
frank317:

There really isnt something stopping this three headed elephant from being God.
Re: Why Am An Atheist by Holyede: 8:55pm On Jul 17, 2018
Hakeem12:
And you know this how?
Romans 1:18-23

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Witches Hold Conference In Ghana / Right Thinking / The Secret Of Success (i) By Kenneth Hagin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.