Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,639 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:50 AM

Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? (1082 Views)

All Buhari's Appointments So Far Are Northerners, Why? / Are Northerners In Nigeria Ready To Forfeit All key positions For Presidency? / 86% New NNPC Top Managers Are Northerners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Princek12(m): 3:32am On Jun 07, 2010
I think Northerners are jealous of Lagos's potential, and, because of this, they have refused to deregulate the electricity sector. This is just my theory and is based on anecdotal evidence, so don't ask me for any link. My reasons for saying this are (1) The Govt. does not want to deregulate the electricity sector because stable electricity will advance Lagos's potential, to be a mega city that will attract international investors; (2) many foreign investors would rather invest in Lagos, i.e., Eko Atlantic City, especially if Lagos has stable electricity; (3) even if the generator-importers mafia and the diesel-sellers mafia are worried about the possibility that their business will obliterated if there is stable electricity, the Govt. can give these mafiosos shares in any private energy companies that will be formed, but the Govt. still does not consider this a viable option. My theory is that these Northerners will rather have Nigeria stay without electricity so that Lagos will not realize its true potential, all because of jealousy. Even if the Northerners are afraid of losing money if the electricity sector is deregulated, they could give themselves a monopoly (if they wanted to) over any new private energy companies that would be formed if the energy sector is deregulated and they will stand to make as much, if not more, money from this monopoly. I bet that these Northerners will rather not make the money than see Nigeria, especially Lagos, with stable electricity.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Beaf: 3:36am On Jun 07, 2010
Your "theory" has no basis. Why should Northerners be jealous of Lagos, does it make sense?
This article is very annoying and should be moved to the tribalism and racism section.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Princek12(m): 3:39am On Jun 07, 2010
Beaf:

Your "theory" has no basis. Why should Northerners be jealous of Lagos, does it make sense?
But why have Northerners all these years not supported the deregulation of the power sector? I was just thinking about it. You are right; my theory has no basis, besides my own observation.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Beaf: 4:00am On Jun 07, 2010
Princek12:

But why have Northerners all these years not supported the deregulation of the power sector? I was just thinking about it. You are right; my theory has no basis, besides my own observation.

Through tribalism, PHCN has been cornered as a very juicy parastatal. Corrupt officials can control the lucrative generator market by running the place down; they can resell transformers bought with govt money; enjoy maintainance contracts where absolute zich gets done, but full payment is made; they can also benefit from crude "roger" methods like the police etc, etc. Those are some of the reasons why people don't want PHCN privatised.

. . .Maybe you should change the article title and body?
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Princek12(m): 4:23am On Jun 07, 2010
Beaf:

Through tribalism, PHCN has been cornered as a very juicy parastatal. Corrupt officials can control the lucrative generator market by running the place down; they can resell transformers bought with govt money; enjoy maintainance contracts where absolute zich gets done, but full payment is made; they can also benefit from crude "roger" methods like the police etc, etc. Those are some of the reasons why people don't want PHCN privatised.

. . .Maybe you should change the article title and body?
But consider, all those people who are benefiting from the status quo may be promised large shares in the companies that would be formed if the electricity sector is deregulated; that way they stand to make more money than all the methods you mentioned. But I guarantee that they will still object to privatization.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by EzeUche(m): 5:18am On Jun 07, 2010
Lagos this and Lagos that. angry What is up with people acting like this city is New York or London. It is a trashy city.

Abuja is better, Port Harcourt is better, Enugu is better, and Calabar is better.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Jaylon(m): 5:32am On Jun 07, 2010
It's not just lagos, add Onitsha. 

Big commercial cities in the south will flourish if power is fully deregulated. Unlike
abuja, these cities do not depend heavily on oil money to sustain themselves.

This is why it is crucial for Jonathan Goodluck to move swiftly on this
before hausa/fulani becomes president again.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by ADint(m): 8:20am On Jun 07, 2010
@ PrinceK12

That thought has crossed my mind on more than a few occassions, although you can add the whole of the South not just Lagos.

Makes you wonder, if the North had just half the industries the South has/had, won't they have done something constructive about the power situation considering the lenght of time they have been in charge?
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by hatch: 9:25am On Jun 07, 2010
For me the article makes some element of sense. But I don't think the north really cares about Lagos to that extent of plotting against it.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by gogo123: 9:30am On Jun 07, 2010
Princek12:

I think Northerners are jealous of Lagos's potential, and, because of this, they have refused to deregulate the electricity sector. This is just my theory and is based on anecdotal evidence, so don't ask me for any link. My reasons for saying this are (1) The Govt. does not want to deregulate the electricity sector because stable electricity will advance Lagos's potential, to be a mega city that will attract international investors; (2) many foreign investors would rather invest in Lagos, i.e., Eko Atlantic City, especially if Lagos has stable electricity; (3) even if the generator-importers mafia and the diesel-sellers mafia are worried about the possibility that their business will obliterated if there is stable electricity, the Govt. can give these mafiosos shares in any private energy companies that will be formed, but the Govt. still does not consider this a viable option. My theory is that these Northerners will rather have Nigeria stay without electricity so that Lagos will not realize its true potential, all because of jealousy. Even if the Northerners are afraid of losing money if the electricity sector is deregulated, they could give themselves a monopoly (if they wanted to) over any new private energy companies that would be formed if the energy sector is deregulated and they will stand to make as much, if not more, money from this monopoly. I bet that these Northerners will rather not make the money than see Nigeria, especially Lagos, with stable electricity.

Are South-westerners scared of what will happen to lagos if the Govt allows the southeastern ports to flourish? are south-westerns afraid of what will happen to their lucrative positions gotten on the basis of exclusion of the igbos from the national cake if Nigeria turns a new leaf and things are done on merit basis, these people na wao, you now want to dump your co-conspirators(the northerners)
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Princek12(m): 12:12pm On Jun 07, 2010
ADint:

@ PrinceK12

That thought has crossed my mind on more than a few occassions, although you can add[b] the whole of the South not just Lagos[/b].

Makes you wonder, if the North had just half the industries the South has/had, won't they have done something constructive about the power situation considering the lenght of time they have been in charge?

I agree with you.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 07, 2010
why is nobody commenting on this story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/africa/10254110.stm

"virtually no children in the villages" and this is the 21st century?

this is such a big shame on nigeria, and isnt this the same state where the governor married a 13 year old? That man needs Jesus in his life.

and dont say oh well it's just the north. There's gold in the south too.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by kettykings: 5:29pm On Jun 07, 2010
Why are these people shifting the power problem to the north . As if a northerner has been ruling since 1999 and refused to do something about power, who blew 16 billion dollars on bogus power plants. Who produced all the power ministers from 1999 till date except for imoke . The same people through their minister of Aviation closed down slok airlines , ADC , Sosoliso and left belview.

As if that was not enough the blocked every attempt to convert any eastern airport to an international airport prefering to spend 12 billion on abuja airport runway.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Princek12(m): 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2010
kettykings:

Why are these people shifting the power problem to the north . As if a northerner has been ruling since 1999 and refused to do something about power, who blew 16 billion dollars on bogus power plants. Who produced all the power ministers from 1999 till date except for imoke . The same people through their minister of Aviation closed down slok airlines , ADC , Sosoliso and left belview.

As if that was not enough the blocked every attempt to convert any eastern airport to an international airport prefering to spend 12 billion on abuja airport runway.

Northerners have ruled for pretty much all of Nigeria's history, save for Obasanjo's regime, during which time he had to answer to the Northern Mafia, for they handed him the presidency. He returned the presidency to them. Northern malos dominate the Congress and are unquestionably influential in Nigerian politics. They hand out all the contracts to themselves, so don't act like this is foreign to you.
Re: Are Northerners Jealous Of Lagos' Potential If Nigeria Has Stable Electricity? by Beaf: 7:34pm On Jun 07, 2010
Princek12:

Northerners have ruled for pretty much all of Nigeria's history, save for Obasanjo's regime, during which time he had to answer to the Northern Mafia, for they handed him the presidency. He returned the presidency to them. Northern malos dominate the Congress and are unquestionably influential in Nigerian politics. They hand out all the contracts to themselves, so don't act like this is foreign to you.

I am quite uncomfortable about the blanket blame and name calling. The North is made up of several different ethnic groups, several different religions and several different viewpoints. You need to apply caution and civility to your use of language; 90% of those you are accusing are innocent.

(1) (Reply)

Drama As Task Force Arrests Ex-director, Call Girls ! / BREAKING NEWS: INEC POSTPONES NASS ELECTIONS TO MONDAY 4th APRIL / Is This True?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.