Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (106) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244517 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by chux4liv(m): 11:21pm On Nov 27, 2013
some-girl:

This debate isn't worth the trading insults over. I'm of the opinion that "Delta-Igbos" are Igbos with some Bini ancestry rather than Bini with some Igbo ancestry.
The relatively few migrants from Bini would have met indigenous people in the areas they migrated to with whom they'd have intermarried. It is therefore incorrect for any to state that they aren't Igbo as the history of the group that is now known as Igbo is diverse. Most of us have a mix of something non "core Igbo" somewhere which I believe accounts for the significant difference in dialect and traditions.
If a Bini man marries as Igbo woman, they have a son who marries an Igbo woman, who has a son who marries an Igbo woman etc, their descendants would eventually be more Igbo by blood than Bini.
So while it is key to acknowledge any known (and confirmed) origin, it would be incorrect to dismiss (what might be) the major part of one's composition in favour of (what might be) the less significant part.
P.s Bini language doesn't have "ch" as a sound/ alphabet so Eze Chima/ Chime couldn't have been Bini or an ancestor of ethnic Bini migrants.

One does have a right to identify with any group he chooses to identify with at the end of the day, whether or not he is viewed differently by others.
Thank you my sister, do you know that the first Oba of Bini was called Oba Eweka, so do u now call him an Ibo Becos that name sound Iweka??
Pls, read up this article and clearly see where they distinguish Ika (EKA) from Ibo among the list conquered by Oba Ewuare of bini.

Inset: Oba Ewuare is remembered for many things. First contact with any European was made by Oba Ewuare when Ruy De Sequeira visited Benin City in 1472. In his time ivory carving was encouraged. A name like Eghoghomagha can still be remembered as one of the greatest carvers in Benin kingdom.
Ewuare is remembered for his famous flute called Eziken and the royal band called Ema-Edo. He introduced the royal beads and scarlet cloth (Ododo) which remains the Benin Royal colour. The ugie Ewere started in his reign.
Ewuare's administration was specifically marked by the creation of the state council made up of EghaevboN'Ore whose original members were Iyase, Esogban,Eson and Osuma. Ewuare elevated his eldest son to the position of Uzama when he made him Edaiken. He created the Eriyo title. He started Eko-Ohae (Bachelor's camp) which is now a part of the coronation stations of any Oba of Benin.
He was a great mystic, physician, traveler and warrior. He restored the primogeniture law. He was reputed to have travelled extensively to very many parts of the present day Nigeria, Dahomey (now called Republic of Benin), Ghana, Guinea and Congo. It is on record that he fought and captured not less than 201 towns and villages and expand Benin Kingdom to the west Ekiti, Ikare, to the north, Kukuruku, Eka (Ika) and Ibo land west of the Niger.
http://egbede.com/obas-of-benin.htm

also creation of Umunede
https://m.facebook.com/UMUNEDE.DELTA/posts/367628026637659?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C6658489592
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 1:07am On Nov 28, 2013
igbo boy:

bros na by force to label anioma as an ethnic group?

I dont suport igbos in the east forcing Ikas to be igbos but i dont want anybody forcing me to be Anioma cos is just rubbish

The easterners want them in this forum to understand that majority of Ikas see themselves as Igbo. Those anti Igbo elements here is trying hard to create the impression that Ikas or Ukwuanis are not Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 6:50am On Nov 28, 2013
Moving forward, i think we have to allow people to be what they say they are. There are Ikas, Ukwuanis, Ikwerres who say they're not Igbos and those who say they're Igbos, so they should be allowed individually to be who they have decided to be. I think we have unknowingly made these people popular. When i first came on Nairaland, most people had not heard of Ikwerre, Ika or Ukwuani. They were simply known that Delta Igbos or Rivers Igbos but these our back and forth has made them more popular and even more recognizable from the Igbo umbrella. We should focus our might at integrating those who say they're Igbos and leave those who say they're not. Nowhere in the world have i seen a majority ethnic group being the ones to try to claim a minority ethnic group. The global practice is for the minority ethnic group to try to associate with the big one and the big ones rejects the association. At times i wonder if there's really anything to benefit from these peeps with the way we constantly try to make them see themselves as Igbos. Let's develop Igboland and we won't even care about who's Igbo or not. A successfull man is run after and not the other way around.

4 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
chux4liv:
I don't know why you're getting insulting over an issue that doesn't concern you... Ohhh, you're Igbo right and you are getting ripped-off becos the Ika ppl dont wanna claim Igbo grin grin grin ( Igbos like dominating angry angry ..just as they tussle for Lagos by saying it's a no man's land) Sorry oo, the way u are getting paranoid u may start punching the keyboard button to show your frustration.
Anyway, I guess u're hiding behind the screen of ur computer-system so why the attention (you could be a teen who knows undecided undecided). This is my last message for you, I don't mingle words with peanut brain like you. I've got more important things to do than argue with u nincompoop ... you're a SCHNOOK,SCHMOES & SCHMUCK!!!

*Jet out of this Igbo ridiculed thread* wink wink

lol, are you hurt, you dont sound intelligent and convincing enough, i will not even call you lost soul, i will say lost mind, lost identity,lost ideosyncracy and overall tribeless.... that will make you better. who told you i am hurt, what for, my dear i am from nnewi and you should know how we roll in all facets... just that i pity igbos there not people like you. to bee honest i have not seen ika person in real life that denies igboness. to be honest, even agbor where i do go, yes we are all onu nuo or igbos. i think you should give me another evidence where oba of benin said...oh ika are benins then i will believe you.

I THINK YOUR INTELLECTUALLY AND HISTORICALLY LAZY. YOU HAVE LOST IT ALL,TRIBE,CULTURE,FOLLOWERSHIP AND ABOVE ALL IDENTITY. I WEEP FOR YOU.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
chux4liv:
I don't know why you're getting insulting over an issue that doesn't concern you... Ohhh, you're Igbo right and you are getting ripped-off becos the Ika ppl dont wanna claim Igbo grin grin grin ( Igbos like dominating angry angry ..just as they tussle for Lagos by saying it's a no man's land) Sorry oo, the way u are getting paranoid u may start punching the keyboard button to show your frustration.
Anyway, I guess u're hiding behind the screen of ur computer-system so why the attention (you could be a teen who knows undecided undecided). This is my last message for you, I don't mingle words with peanut brain like you. I've got more important things to do than argue with u nincompoop ... you're a SCHNOOK,SCHMOES & SCHMUCK!!!

*Jet out of this Igbo ridiculed thread* wink wink

OH NOW I SEE WHY YOU DONT LIKE US, YOU CANT COMPETE,YOU SOUND INTELLECTUALLY BEREFT, FROM MY RESEARCH AND WRITE UP YOU WILL KNOW I AM PROUD OF MY VILLAGE, AND WHO TOLD YOU IT DOESNT CONCERN ME, MY WIFE IS FROM THERE MY COUSINS MARRIED FROM THERE, WE ANAMBRA MARRY IGBO FROM DELTA MORE THAN ANY PART OF IGBO LAND DUE TO CULTURAL AFFINITY AND SIMILARITY. SO I HAVE AN IDEPT EXPERIENCE. I AM FROM NNEWI SO IF YOU ARE PROUD OF YOUR PLACE WHERE ARE YOU. I THINK BENIN PROXIMITY DIDNT ONLY CAUSE YOU IDENTITY CRISIS BUY INFERIORITY COMPLEX. DID IGBOS EVER SAID THAT THEY OWN LAGOS.

SON OF BENIN ASSYLUM SEEKER, EFULEFU

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by chux4liv(m): 12:52am On Nov 29, 2013
tonychristopher:

OH NOW I SEE WHY YOU DONT LIKE US, YOU CANT COMPETE,YOU SOUND INTELLECTUALLY BEREFT, FROM MY RESEARCH AND WRITE UP YOU WILL KNOW I AM PROUD OF MY VILLAGE, AND WHO TOLD YOU IT DOESNT CONCERN ME, MY WIFE IS FROM THERE MY COUSINS MARRIED FROM THERE, WE ANAMBRA MARRY IGBO FROM DELTA MORE THAN ANY PART OF IGBO LAND DUE TO CULTURAL AFFINITY AND SIMILARITY. SO I HAVE AN IDEPT EXPERIENCE. I AM FROM NNEWI SO IF YOU ARE PROUD OF YOUR PLACE WHERE ARE YOU. I THINK BENIN PROXIMITY DIDNT ONLY CAUSE YOU IDENTITY CRISIS BUY INFERIORITY COMPLEX. DID IGBOS EVER SAID THAT THEY OWN LAGOS.

SON OF BENIN ASSYLUM SEEKER, EFULEFU
grin

grin grin grin Silence is the best answer for a "FOOOOL".... Commot for road make I see front joor, you can go and Jump in the river and die who cares.. Nnewi my foot.... FRESH AIR I BEG....... MUMU
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 4:17am On Nov 29, 2013
Please gentlemen let's keep it professional in here. No yellings and exchange of curses, please.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 12:47pm On Nov 29, 2013
chux4liv: grin

grin grin grin Silence is the best answer for a "FOOOOL".... Commot for road make I see front joor, you can go and Jump in the river and die who cares.. Nnewi my foot.... FRESH AIR I BEG....... MUMU

so as you can see i am too proud of my village, then what about you. intellectual your not sound, from the look of write ups you drop, logically, you lost it all, culturally you are in a lacuna.... so how do you fit in
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2013
bigfrancis21: Please gentlemen let's keep it professional in here. No yellings and exchange of curses, please.

MY BRO, WE ARE ON THE GOOD BOOKS, JUST THAT WHEN TONS OF EVIDENCES HAS BEEN DROPPED FOR THE EFULEFUS FROM BENIN AND ASSYLUM SEEKERS, THEY WILL NOT COME OUT WITH A LOGICAL ARGUMENT TO BACK THEIR CLAIMS, THEY WILL RESORT TO NAME CALLING AND THROWING ABUSES. DID YOU SEE WHEN THEY SAID THAT IGBOS WANTS TYO DOMINATE THEM, DID YOU SEE WHEN I DROP LINKS FROM DELTA STATE GOVERNMENT, DID THEY NOT SEE MY JOSHUA PROJECT LINK, DID THEY NOT SEE MY RESEARCHED WORK LINKS FROM AN IKA PROFESSOR SAYING THE IKA ARE IGBOS.... WHAT DO I GET NAME CALLING. THEN I ASKED THEM TO TELL ME WHERE OR WHEN A KING FROM IGBO SPEAKING PART OF DELTA DENIED THAT THEY AINT IGBO...YET NO RESPONSE, THEN I ALSO ASKED THEM TO SHOW ME PROOVE WHERE THE OBA OF BENIN WHOM THE ADORE SO MUCH SAID, IKA ARE MY PEOPLE LET THEM COME BACK HOME, YET I DIDNT GET ANY.

NOW THEY DISS AND PISS ME OFF, I MUST SAY, NOT ALL BUT A HANDFUL OF BOTTOM OF THE PYRAMID PEOPLE. I HATE ABUSES, PEOPLE RESORT TO ABUSES WHEN THEY LACK INTELLECT... BUT I THINK I AM GIVING THIS THREAD ATTENTION SO THAT THE WORLD AND THE YOUNG ONES FROM THERE THAT DOESNT KNOW THEIR LEFT TO RIGHT WILL GET SENSE OF DIRECTION. IGBOS ARE NOT COLONIALIST SO I WONDER HOW AND WHEN WE COLONIZED THEM TO THE EXTENT, THEY HAVE OUR NAMES,SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE AND OTHERS. WE EVEN COLONIZED THEM PSYCHOLOGICALLY. WE KNOW THEY LIE, NIGERIAN AND OTHER TRIBES KNOW THEY LIE AND SEE THEM AS FAIR WAETHER FRIENDS.

I FEEL SO SORRY FOR THEM, I MUST SAY
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 1:05pm On Nov 29, 2013
Afam4eva: Moving forward, i think we have to allow people to be what they say they are. There are Ikas, Ukwuanis, Ikwerres who say they're not Igbos and those who say they're Igbos, so they should be allowed individually to be who they have decided to be. I think we have unknowingly made these people popular. When i first came on Nairaland, most people had not heard of Ikwerre, Ika or Ukwuani. They were simply known that Delta Igbos or Rivers Igbos but these our back and forth has made them more popular and even more recognizable from the Igbo umbrella. We should focus our might at integrating those who say they're Igbos and leave those who say they're not. Nowhere in the world have i seen a majority ethnic group being the ones to try to claim a minority ethnic group. The global practice is for the minority ethnic group to try to associate with the big one and the big ones rejects the association. At times i wonder if there's really anything to benefit from these peeps with the way we constantly try to make them see themselves as Igbos. Let's develop Igboland and we won't even care about who's Igbo or not. A successfull man is run after and not the other way around.

YOU HAVE SPOKEN WELL, THEY DONT HAVE ANYTHING, IGBOLAND IS DEVELOPING IN TERMS OF INDUSTRY AND HUMAN CAPITAL .... I THINK THEY LOST IT ALL, JUST AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY WILL BE CRYING BACK, THE WAY IGBANKE IS CRYING TO BE IN DELTA STATE AND TO CHANGE THEIR NAME. NO THEY MUST BE IN EDO STATE AND SUFFER THE RESULT OF THEIR FATHRERS SINS AND THAT OS OGBEMUDDIIAH BY CHANGING THERE NAMES. DID YOU HEAR THEY WANT TO REVERT TO THEIR ORIGINAL IGBO NAME ... IGBO AKIRI. OR DO THEY WANT TO..... I FEEEL SO SO SORRY FOR EM.... WE ARE DEVELOPING IGBO LAND AND IGBOLAND IS ONE OF THE MOST DEVELOPED PLACES APART FROM LAGOS AND ABUJA THAT IS GOVERNMENT FUNDED WITH MONEY FROM OIL PRODUCING AREAS.... NOW WHO IS THE CORE DELTANS AND NIGER DELTANS. I KNOW THAT DETLA NORTH AINT. HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT IDENTITY CRISIS IS CAUSING EM, THEY NEED A STATE BUT WONT WANT TO ADMIT THEIR TRUE NATURE AND IDEOSYNCRACIES. NOT ALL ANYWAY.

UDO DIRI NDI IGBO NILE. CHUKWU DUBE ANYI, OG ADILI ANYI MMA, NNEWI MMAMANU. EKENE M
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 1:10pm On Nov 29, 2013
chux4liv:
Thank you my sister, do you know that the first Oba of Bini was called Oba Eweka, so do u now call him an Ibo Becos that name sound Iweka??
Pls, read up this article and clearly see where they distinguish Ika (EKA) from Ibo among the list conquered by Oba Ewuare of bini.

Inset: Oba Ewuare is remembered for many things. First contact with any European was made by Oba Ewuare when Ruy De Sequeira visited Benin City in 1472. In his time ivory carving was encouraged. A name like Eghoghomagha can still be remembered as one of the greatest carvers in Benin kingdom.
Ewuare is remembered for his famous flute called Eziken and the royal band called Ema-Edo. He introduced the royal beads and scarlet cloth (Ododo) which remains the Benin Royal colour. The ugie Ewere started in his reign.
Ewuare's administration was specifically marked by the creation of the state council made up of EghaevboN'Ore whose original members were Iyase, Esogban,Eson and Osuma. Ewuare elevated his eldest son to the position of Uzama when he made him Edaiken. He created the Eriyo title. He started Eko-Ohae (Bachelor's camp) which is now a part of the coronation stations of any Oba of Benin.
He was a great mystic, physician, traveler and warrior. He restored the primogeniture law. He was reputed to have travelled extensively to very many parts of the present day Nigeria, Dahomey (now called Republic of Benin), Ghana, Guinea and Congo. It is on record that he fought and captured not less than 201 towns and villages and expand Benin Kingdom to the west Ekiti, Ikare, to the north, Kukuruku, Eka (Ika) and Ibo land west of the Niger.
http://egbede.com/obas-of-benin.htm

also creation of Umunede
https://m.facebook.com/UMUNEDE.DELTA/posts/367628026637659?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C6658489592

IS FACEBOOK A CREDIBLE REFRENCE TO YOU, WHERE ANY IDIOT CAN POST ANYTHING. SO PLS SO HOW COME THE UMUNEDE BEAR IGBO NAMES AND SPEAK IGBO LANGUAGE AND FINALLY HAVE IGBO KINGS NAMES LIKE OBI, SO WHAT ARE WE DISTORTING HISTORY. I THINK THIS RESEARCH IS ALLEGORY AND A FABLE TO MY OWN UNDERSTANDING. HOW CAN YOU SAY UMUNEDE IS PREDOMINANTYLY BENIN YET SPEAK IGBO LANGUAGE. DONT YOU THINK THIS LACKS DEPT.I WILL BE INTERESTED TO KNOW THE IGBO LINK IN UMUNEDE.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by chux4liv(m): 7:40am On Nov 30, 2013
tonychristopher:

IS FACEBOOK A CREDIBLE REFRENCE TO YOU, WHERE ANY IDIOT CAN POST ANYTHING. SO PLS SO HOW COME THE UMUNEDE BEAR IGBO NAMES AND SPEAK IGBO LANGUAGE AND FINALLY HAVE IGBO KINGS NAMES LIKE OBI, SO WHAT ARE WE DISTORTING HISTORY. I THINK THIS RESEARCH IS ALLEGORY AND A FABLE TO MY OWN UNDERSTANDING. HOW CAN YOU SAY UMUNEDE IS PREDOMINANTYLY BENIN YET SPEAK IGBO LANGUAGE. DONT YOU THINK THIS LACKS DEPT.I WILL BE INTERESTED TO KNOW THE IGBO LINK IN UMUNEDE.

First, I would hv loved to entertain an intellectual and more civilised arguement with you but you lost it all with your insulting words (I mean!on first contact, when I dont even know you from adam)
Secondly, if you'd acted more mature in your presenting reasons with fact without sounding abusive or dictating over other peoples write-up. I could give u listening ears
3. Its not about logic but a little common sense states it all. If the Igbo says the Ikas are their blood, let them trace the first set of decendant of Ika inhibitant who are Igbo origin.
4. If you want to classify the Ikas as Igbo ethnic group, there's no problem. We accept that based on colonial way of classifying ethnicity but we wont disown our origin (emanting from the bini kingdom)
4. The so called Benin kingdom have many languages, even right in their state who speaks different languages...... Ishan, akuku-edo, bini (language), auchi all being spoken in one territory. My question why the difference in language in a particular kingdom and yet they acclaim their origin of bini? Lastly, the name thing is a common phenonmenon occuring in present society. Our family name is bini but first name is Igbo, I know many Igbos of present age who are bears first name as English and u get to identify them by their family name. Even a friend of mine whose name is "Azuka Henry" from Nnewi who had to change his name to "Kenneth Henry" by adopting his father firstname. When I asked him he said his father wants them to bear his own name and not their grandfather. So tell me in generation to come if this my Henry friend has a son who is an half-cast who identify himself as an Nnewi man wont you people disown on first ground.

N.B I believe you are a graduate and you passed a course ... Use of English in university/poly/NCE. There is a topic that discuss about distortion of language (due to inherent mothers tongue and ability to communicate in different langauges). You'll always code-mix this languages and it will only be understood by someone who understands ur languages. E.g Pigin english is a distorted English language that can't be easily understood by an English man. This same thing happened to Ika languages it is a distorted bini language with Igbo words.
If I speak Ika lang. an Igbo man wont understand, though he will comprehend some one or two Ibo wordings in them (same is applicable to bini) I know thats why u Igbos call us fake-igbo.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:42pm On Nov 30, 2013
chux4liv:

First, I would hv loved to entertain an intellectual and more civilised arguement with you but you lost it all with your insulting words (I mean!on first contact, when I dont even know you from adam)
Secondly, if you'd acted more mature in your presenting reasons with fact without sounding abusive or dictating over other peoples write-up. I could give u listening ears
3. Its not about logic but a little common sense states it all. If the Igbo says the Ikas are their blood, let them trace the first set of decendant of Ika inhibitant who are Igbo origin.
4. If you want to classify the Ikas as Igbo ethnic group, there's no problem. We accept that based on colonial way of classifying ethnicity but we wont disown our origin (emanting from the bini kingdom)
4. The so called Benin kingdom have many languages, even right in their state who speaks different languages...... Ishan, akuku-edo, bini (language), auchi all being spoken in one territory. My question why the difference in language in a particular kingdom and yet they acclaim their origin of bini? Lastly, the name thing is a common phenonmenon occuring in present society. Our family name is bini but first name is Igbo, I know many Igbos of present age who are bears first name as English and u get to identify them by their family name. Even a friend of mine whose name is "Azuka Henry" from Nnewi who had to change his name to "Kenneth Henry" by adopting his father firstname. When I asked him he said his father wants them to bear his own name and not their grandfather. So tell me in generation to come if this my Henry friend has a son who is an half-cast who identify himself as an Nnewi man wont you people disown on first ground.

N.B I believe you are a graduate and you passed a course ... Use of English in university/poly/NCE. There is a topic that discuss about distortion of language (due to inherent mothers tongue and ability to communicate in different langauges). You'll always code-mix this languages and it will only be understood by someone who understands ur languages. E.g Pigin english is a distorted English language that can't be easily understood by an English man. This same thing happened to Ika languages it is a distorted bini language with Igbo words.
If I speak Ika lang. an Igbo man wont understand, though he will comprehend some one or two Ibo wordings in them (same is applicable to bini) I know thats why u Igbos call us fake-igbo.

my dear you raised some question and I found it imperative that I must answer. the problem with us is that we attribute intellectual fines to the ability to speak English...that's is black man way of reasoning. that to me is neo or pseudo colonialism. that's by the way. let's face it from Benin kingdom point of view. Benin was a kingdom as a regional power they do send what is called lords or minor kings to territory . this is a well documented fact. now tell me Rome was a world power with kingdoms from Tunisia to present day Asia minor then conquered europe. do you know the name London is a Roman word . the original name is londonium,now will you call londoners roman? and do understand that there is different languages in Roman empire so what emperor does is to get vassal kings from the aborigines romanize them. that is what happens even in edo kingdom. during the ancient days kings marry wives from bigger empire to cement their safety and these new wives bring in friend culture but that doesn't make the kingdom the foreign origin.
another fallacy is that,I do understand agbors very well than abakiliki...I do not know why you people feel that mainland igbos don't understand peripheral igbo. do you know that ika sound like owerri. that I do speak . the way ukwuani is exactly sameness with oguta. the same way asaba sounds like nteje.
I DID NOT CATEGORIZE IKA AS IGBO BUT THAT'S WHAT GOD CATEGORIES THEM. I DO NOT CARE HOW THEY VIEW THEMSELVES. WHAT I CARE IS HOW THEIR NEIGHBOURS VIEW THEM . THEY ARE SEEN AS IGBO EVEN IGBANKE. I SERVED IN BENIN AND I AM TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE HOW EDOS SEE THEM. DID YOU SEE THE DELTA STATE GOVERNMENT WEBSITE.
DO YOU KNOW THAT IGBO LAND HAVE MANY DIALECTS THE PROBLEM WITH PUNDITS AND SCEPTICS HERE IS THAT THEY HAVE REFUSED TO REALISE THAT THERE IS DIALECT WHICH IS A PART OF LANGUAGE. IKA SPEAK IKA WHICH IS IGBO DIALECT SAME AS ABAKILIKI,NDONI,OWERRI,ETC.
pls tell me a place and a credible reference where an ika king said that ika ain't igbo .....then I believe you not all these Facebook and Blogger ratings you get everywhere.
they can decide to bear anything but facts must be facts....THEY ARE IGBOS .tell me where oba of Benin said ika are my people. yes we might have asylum seekers and refugees in ika land from Benin but that doesn't make em all Benin. it will be tantamount to fallacy of hasty generalization.
finally do you know that eko which is lagos today is a Benin name and their military outpost. have you seen any eko man. claiming Benin. what a travesty. I didn't or don't even know what Benin empire gave gprs morden history.

if I was rude to you I retract the statement...just doing the needful. all I need is credible references not hear say or my grandfather said this my hand mother said that. I CHALLENGE ANYBODY TO GIVE ME CREDIBLE EVIDENCE. FOR THE SAKE OF POSTERITY NOT ME.

UDO DIRI NDI IGBO NILE. EBE BERE UGO BERE.its just an efulefu that points left hand to his dad house....its an igbo adage.I won't explain it,cos it will be wrong to explain adage for someone in igbo.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
If I speak Ika lang. an Igbo man wont
understand, though he will comprehend
some one or two Ibo wordings in them
(same is applicable to bini) I know thats
why u Igbos call us fake-igbo

its funny how analysis goes...look at the statement above...igboman won't understand ika but will comprehend some one or two words....lol. differentiate comprehension from understanding. as of the issue of fake igbo tag, I am so sorry for that,just that you people bear igbo names and have igbo culture but lacks the igboness so I think that the tag fake igbo is appropriate for some of you NOT ALL. I KNOW IGBODO PEOPLE AND OSHIMILI,ABOH AND OTHER IGBOS IN DELTA DON'T HAVE ISSUES WITH IGBONESS. IGBOS ARE GREAT TRIBE.so you can agree with me fairness is a proper tag for some of you. not all
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
If I speak Ika lang. an Igbo man wont
understand, though he will comprehend
some one or two Ibo wordings in them
(same is applicable to bini) I know thats
why u Igbos call us fake-igbo

:...............:.................:.:.......:.

its funny how analysis goes...look at the statement above...igboman won't understand ika but will comprehend some one or two words....lol. differentiate comprehension from understanding. as of the issue of fake igbo tag, I am so sorry for that,just that you people bear igbo names and have igbo culture but lacks the igboness so I think that the tag fake igbo is appropriate for some of you NOT ALL. I KNOW IGBODO PEOPLE AND OSHIMILI,ABOH AND OTHER IGBOS IN DELTA DON'T HAVE ISSUES WITH IGBONESS. IGBOS ARE GREAT TRIBE.so you can agree with me fairness is a proper tag for some of you. not all
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by chux4liv(m): 9:19pm On Nov 30, 2013
Now we're discussing as intellect. What I meant was they only understand the igbo wordings but can not comprehend a full sentence of ika becos it contains some non-igbo words...As the case of London being a roman name and they being colonise by rome. It's a case of colonial territory. But record doesnt have it that umunede got colonised by bini rather it was formed by one of the prince of bini King called Ede and wife Iye. What ever u saw witten on the facebook link is exactly what we hv in our community doctrine (else I wont make it as reference) and it was passed from generation to generation.
We never disputed the record of Igbo pertaking in our community development and its influence in our culture. But we hv no record of them being the founders of Ika.
Igbodo and Ukwuani u speak off aren't Ika and so I can't speak for them. I know Igbos are migrate alot and they get to imbibe their culture were ever they settle.
Quest: was there any record of Igbos settling in bini kingdom in A.D if yes, then I can acclaim that Ikas are truly Igbos?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 10:11pm On Nov 30, 2013
chux4liv: Now we're discussing as intellect. What I meant was they only understand the igbo wordings but can not comprehend a full sentence of ika becos it contains some non-igbo words...As the case of London being a roman name and they being colonise by rome. It's a case of colonial territory. But record doesnt have it that umunede got colonised by bini rather it was formed by one of the prince of bini King called Ede and wife Iye. What ever u saw witten on the facebook link is exactly what we hv in our community doctrine (else I wont make it as reference) and it was passed from generation to generation.
We never disputed the record of Igbo pertaking in our community development and its influence in our culture. But we hv no record of them being the founders of Ika.
Igbodo and Ukwuani u speak off aren't Ika and so I can't speak for them. I know Igbos are migrate alot and they get to imbibe their culture were ever they settle.
Quest: was there any record of Igbos settling in bini kingdom in A.D if yes, then I can acclaim that Ikas are truly Igbos?
I doubt if you are from Ika. Ho on earth do you not know that Igbodo is an Ika community. So you are just here to learn about your people.
Bini influence on Ika is aristocratic. We have been through this long time ago, you are just drawing us back.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by somegirl1: 10:42pm On Nov 30, 2013
chux4liv: But record doesnt have it that umunede got colonised by bini rather it was formed by one of the prince of bini King called Ede and wife Iye.

Just out of curiousity....

Why is the clan formed by this man Ede called Umunede? That's clearly an Igbo name. Is there an original place name which was corrupted by Igbos?
I'm sure Bini has their own word for "children" and way of saying "children of" or "children who". Are there any Bini towns named in that format? i.e "children of......", "children who......" as is done in Igbo areas?

chux4liv:

Well, Eze Chima/ Chime has been cited by several sources as having been the Bini founding father of Onitsha and some parts of Delta-Igbo. If this is true, then there you have your record of an Igbo man who fled Bini as "ch" sound is not found in Bini language or west of Bini.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:17am On Dec 01, 2013
chux4liv: Now we're discussing as intellect. What I meant was they only understand the igbo wordings but can not comprehend a full sentence of ika becos it contains some non-igbo words...As the case of London being a roman name and they being colonise by rome. It's a case of colonial territory. But record doesnt have it that umunede got colonised by bini rather it was formed by one of the prince of bini King called Ede and wife Iye. What ever u saw witten on the facebook link is exactly what we hv in our community doctrine (else I wont make it as reference) and it was passed from generation to generation.

NOW WE ARE TALKING. NOW DO YOU EVER REALISE THAT IGBOS DO ANSWER THE NAME EDE, DO YOU REMEMBER FR EDE, NOW IF BENIN ARE THE SO CALLED FOREBEARERS OF UMUNEDE, HOW COME UMU WHICH IS AN IGBO WORD IS THERE AND EDE ALSO. CAN I KNOW HOW UMU AND IT MEANING IN BENIN LANGUAGE. NOW PLS IF BENIN IS POINT OF ORIGIN OF UMUNEDE WHY DO THEY ANSWER IGBO NAMES AND THEIR KINGS BEAR IGBO TITTE AS OBI....IS OBI A BENIN WORD. HOW COME IGBO LANGUAGE IS 88% of UMUNEDE DIALECT AND BENIN FEW@ YES UMUNEDE IS A PERIPHEREAL IGBOLAND SO YOU SHOULD EXPECT LANGUAGE CROSSOVER THE WAY YOU GET IN AROCHUKWU WITH SOME EFIK LANGUAGE BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE IT BENIN. finally did you see the delta state classification of ika, then do you realise that if umunede is from benin as you claimed,and have umu as a name of town..and spaek igbo.it then meant one thing,THAT AT A POINT IN their HISTORY IGBO came overun the town and colonised them .this will be evident in the CULTURE OF IGBO DOMINANT IN UMUNEDE LIKE THE NAME OF THEIR KING,MARKET DAYS ,THIER INDIVIDUAL IDEOSYNCRACIES ETC.

I AM INTERESTED TO KNOW WHEN AND HOW IGBOS WAGED A WAR AND COLONISED UMUNEDE,IS UMUNEDE AN IGBO MILITARY OUTPOST THE WAY EKO WAS TO BENINS,IF NOT HOW COME THE MIGRANTS IF IGBO ARE PAINTEDE TO BE OVERWWHELED THE LOCALS BY FOISTERING THEIR LANGUAGE.

PLS EXPLAIN THE IGBO NEXUS AND CONECCTION TO UMU NA EDE TOWN AND ALSO EXPLAIN THE LACUNA OF IGBO KINSHIP AND KINGSHIP THERE. WHY DO THEY HAVE OBI INSTEAD OF OBA
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:22am On Dec 01, 2013
Andre Uweh:
I doubt if you are from Ika. Ho on earth do you not know that Igbodo is an Ika community. So you are just here to learn about your people.
Bini influence on Ika is aristocratic. We have been through this long time ago, you are just drawing us back.

my brother....don't mind him. its the best move to assume that whatever bit us in the night is mosquito rather than probing further. let's tell him or them their history. maybe Rome colonised England all English are Romans,English colonised nigeria then all NIGERIANS are now English . did you see how loopholed and lopsided their argument is
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 7:47am On Dec 01, 2013
How can people be pointing to a fake website as reference to delta state government classification of ethnic groups within the state?.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:52am On Dec 01, 2013
some-girl:

Just out of curiousity....

Why is the clan formed by this man Ede called Umunede? That's clearly an Igbo name. Is there an original place name which was corrupted by Igbos?
I'm sure Bini has their own word for "children" and way of saying "children of" or "children who". Are there any Bini towns named in that format? i.e "children of......", "children who......" as is done in Igbo areas?

Well, Eze Chima/ Chime has been cited by several sources as having been the Bini founding father of Onitsha and some parts of Delta-Igbo. If this is true, then there you have your record of an Igbo man who fled Bini as "ch" sound is not found in Bini language or west of Bini.

nne,nwanyi Oma,enenebe eje oru,asa nwa, your intellect and finesse is turning me on....lol how I wish that we marry two wives I would have joined you...lol don't mind me I am kidding. just that I admire your intellect.your argument and you mental dexterity and on point unlike many girls around. you reason logically and your kids will be blessed to have an intelligent mum. THEY KEEP SAYING EZE CHIMA IS FROM BENIN...what a travesty and funny thing is that some idiots buy that gist hook line and sinker. PLS DO BENIN BEAR THE NAME EZE CHIMA OR CHIME....THAT'S ANOTHER LOOPSIDEDNESS IN IGBO DENIAL. IT'S LIKE SAYING THAT KING JAJA OF OPOBO IS FROM BONY ISLAND OR MANGO PARK DISCOVERED RIVER NIGER...YOU ASK BEFORE THE COMING OF MUNGO PARK THAT DIED AT IGBOBINUZOR...IGBUZOR.WHERE THE OGBARU,ONICHA, AND AHABA PEOPLE NOT FETCHING WATER FROM THE SAME RIVER....HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO GULLIBLE.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE IKA,LIKE ME THAT HAS THE RIGHT TO BE FROM MY VILLAGE WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT THE TRUTH AND FACTS MUST BE STATED FOR POSTERITY.

lastly...facebook is just a social media and no intellectual dialectic and submission will take what is posted on facebook. a mad man might assume he is normal but people know better.ITS NOT HOW THE IKA SEE THEMSELVES THAT MATTERS BUT HOW OTHER TRIBES SEE THEM. REVISIT THE DELTA STATE GOVERNMENT WEBSITE. I THINK I AM OKAY WITH THAT INSTEAD OF ONE FACEBOOK POSTING. WHAT HAPPENED TO RESEARCH METHODOLOGY IN SCHOOL?

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 8:00am On Dec 01, 2013
Pharoh: How can people be pointing to a fake website as reference to delta state government classification of ethnic groups within the state?.

who said that website is fake....didn't you see it. then if its fake website give us your authentic website from delta state government classification of local government zones. or is Wikipedia also fake,is Joshua project fake. if all these are fake pls give us the real one. you still haven't answered my question I posed to you since weeks ago....give me a credible link where any ika king say that ika are not igbo or give me a link that oba of Benin said that ika are my people bring them back....no wonder they are maltreating IGBANKE people. I am waiting. I think you see that FAKE IGBO TAG AIN'T A BAD IDEA AFTERALL...but not all ika see this from your miopic and separatist view.

I still dey wait for your links ooooo no bi Facebook or Blogger posting abeg,cos any fooooool can post any shiiiiiiiit there
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 11:20am On Dec 01, 2013
tonychristopher:

who said that website is fake....didn't you see it. then if its fake website give us your authentic website from delta state government classification of local government zones. or is Wikipedia also fake,is Joshua project fake. if all these are fake pls give us the real one. you still haven't answered my question I posed to you since weeks ago....give me a credible link where any ika king say that ika are not igbo or give me a link that oba of Benin said that ika are my people bring them back....no wonder they are maltreating IGBANKE people. I am waiting. I think you see that FAKE IGBO TAG AIN'T A BAD IDEA AFTERALL...but not all ika see this from your miopic and separatist view.

I still dey wait for your links ooooo no bi Facebook or Blogger posting abeg,cos any fooooool can post any shiiiiiiiit there

Governments sites in Nigeria end in gov.ng domain so don't believe that website even though the delta state government official website makes reference to igbos but at the same time you will see reference to Ika and Ukwuani. It is disturbing for you to say people should not believe what they call themselves but what their neighbor thinks of them. You don't have to go to that extent because of this igbo identity issue, i don't think you are looking for reference from your neighbors before you know that you are igbo so please come of it.

Wikepedia is not so good of a reference and you seem not to understand the classification as stated in the Joshua project but i am ready to discuss that with you if i hear your explanation first. I don't think you will be able to produce the same official link for all the igbo kings east of the Niger before and after the coming of the colonialist so it is not so relevant. Their are official organizations, associations and channels to get that information and not from state government of heterogeneous states. You should always leave that to the ethnic group to define themselves and to say the truth, you guys miss the point of the whole Anioma thing because if you actually get it then you will not be fighting here shouting about igbo this and that.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 11:22am On Dec 01, 2013
@some-girl

You mind i ask you some questions?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 11:33am On Dec 01, 2013
I can't fathom how Igbos could supposedly have colonized a people that were under the powerful Benin empire. If the Igbos were colonialists then the whole of Efik/Ibibio would have been speaking Igbo by now. The only explanation imo is that the Benin kingdom contrary to popular wisdom is actually a kingdom made up of people of different ethnicity and ruled from Benin thereby resulting in the Benin influence. I'm saying this cos the Igbo influence far outways the Bini influence in Anioma. How's that possible? Of course it's plausible that some people of Bini heritage and Igbo heritage intermarried and thereby shared cultures. The Ika and Ukwuani people should be Ika and Ukwunai and could choose to align with the Eastern Igbos and belong to the greater Igbo people but i must say that it sounds more plausible for these people to be referred to as Igbos than Bini. Do they even speak and understand Bini language? I wonder why they carry Bini on their head. Why are groups so eager to be identified as Bini. Is there something they're seeing that i'm not seeing?

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 11:57am On Dec 01, 2013
I can't fully speak for other communities within Anioma but i can give you details about Ndokwa people ( Ukwuani-Aboh ). Even if the people claim that they are from benin or idu but no ukwuani person is calling him or her self benin. It is only a reference to the place of origin as far back as we can remember and from oral history that has been passed from generation to generation. When the white man came to meet us for the first time, they asked the urhobo people about us and they rightly told them that we are ukwuani and aboh but the same people.

I don't know why you guys do not get this simple fact, ukwuani is our ethnic group because the identity is ingrained and still intact with us. Igbo is an ethnic nationality in the same light as Yoruba, Spanish and Chinese. Inside of china there are over 30 different ethnic groups. Joining the igbo ethnic nationality is by choice when there is no presence of force like in the Spanish and french nationality. Even our colonial masters are know as British, that is their ethnic nationality while English, Scottish, Irish and wales are the ethnic groups within that nationality. The Scottish wants to go away from that nationality because it is not by force.

Belonging to an ethnic nationality is a thing of the mind and the benefit that lies with it and not because there is a similarity in language and culture. The Igbos are going about from a cultural and language point of view while the Anioma groups are going about it ideologically. Many nationalities wants to break up from Nigeria because of the ideological differences within the confines of Nigeria. We don't have to call ourselves Igbos before we see Igbos as our family or brothers and that is where the problem lies with you guys. You guys are not seeing beyond the Igbo identity, the Scandinavians looked beyond the Scandinavian identity to develop diverse identity but the cooperation between this countries is second to known in Europe.

The simple fact is we want to be known as Ika, Ukwuani, Ndokwa, Aboh etc . . .and in going forward it is our sole independent choice to belong to any further identity like Anioma, Igbo, Biafra, Bendelites or whatever. Before the white man came to meet us, there was nothing like collective igbo so you guys should respect the choice of people who wants to keep their identity as passed to them from generation to generation. It doesn't mean there will not be maximum and collective cooperation with other related people who we see as family or brothers to us.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 12:12pm On Dec 01, 2013
@Afam

You are getting the point and concerning what we want to be called, it is simply Ikas or Ukwuani ( Ndokwa ). We don't want to be called bini or igbo, we don't need to be called igbo before we regard each other as family and that is the point people are missing. We know where our political allegiance lies and who we feel at home most. Just get past the identity issue, pursue collective development and relations. Identity is built over a very long period of years if there is no application of force.

People are quick to point at other examples around the world like the Chinese, Spanish and French but if you take the time to investigate how they came about it, you will not be screaming everybody are Igbos. The white man met us a little over hundred years ago and they is where the Yoruba and igbo identity start developing from. If the white man did not came to colonize us, i seriously doubt if there will be anything like Yoruba or Igbo in 2013. So it is time for igbos to look beyond the igbo identity issue and see where they can joint and collective aspiration with people you consider as family.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 12:22pm On Dec 01, 2013
Pharoh: @Afam

You are getting the point and concerning what we want to be called, it is simply Ikas or Ukwuani ( Ndokwa ). We don't want to be called bini or igbo, we don't need to be called igbo before we regard each other as family and that is the point people are missing. We know where our political allegiance lies and who we feel at home most. Just get past the identity issue, pursue collective development and relations. Identity is built over a very long period of years if there is no application of force.

People are quick to point at other examples around the world like the Chinese, Spanish and French but if you take the time to investigate how they came about it, you will not be screaming everybody are Igbos. The white man met us a little over hundred years ago and they is where the Yoruba and igbo identity start developing from. If the white man did not came to colonize us, i seriously doubt if there will be anything like Yoruba or Igbo in 2013. So it is time for igbos to look beyond the igbo identity issue and see where they can joint and collective aspiration with people you consider as family.
I get your point and i think you also understand the issues when compared to some other Ukwuani or Ika people on this thread. Even the people known as Igbo today were not Igbos in the past as the ethnic group was a a creation of the colonialist and it was created mainly based on similarity in language and culture and not ideologies. That's why the Igbos on the forum are hell-bent on classifying Ika or Ukwuani as Igbos. Being Igbo has gone beyond similarity in language and culture imo and ethnicity imo is like an association of like-minded people and over the years has become more ideological than cultural. Ethnicities are different from Tribes. This is what people will have to understand.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 1:19pm On Dec 01, 2013
Pharoh: @Afam

if i talk you will say that i sound abusive...now how can you say that igbo identity came into being as a result of whiteman. this is the most stupid arguement i have heard. so does it mean that there where no term like igbo...even my mum village is igbo ukwu,it have ancient civilization and one lost soul is telling me that igbo identity is recent. i dont want to be abusive but you have hurt me and i think you are daft. how can somebody say that the website of delta state government isn't real and it has been around. if the website is fake it would have been brought down for impersonating
www.deltastate.com.ng/Local-Government/ukwuani-local-government.html

iF IGBOS DIDN'T COLONISED YOU AND IF YOU ARE NOT IGBO TELL ME HOW COME YOU BEAR IGBO NAMES AND SPEAK IGBO. IT'S EITHER YOU ARE COLONISED BY US OR YOU ARE ONE OF US. THIS IS JUST A SIMPLE LOGIC I DON'T KNOW WHY IT SHOULD BE SO DIFFICULT TO GRASP. I WOULD HAVE UNLEADED MY TORPEDOES JUST THAT I AM IN A GOOD MOOD TODAY.I hate daftness and stupidity from people. give me evidences. you don't believe Wikipedia,you don't believe neighbouring tribes,you don't believe delta state government ,you don't believe NIGERIAN classification,you don't believe ika scholars research and you don't believe Joshua projects. now I am losing it. DO YOU AGREE WITH ME IS THAT YOU SPEAK AND DO IGBO THING EITHER YOU WERE COLONISED OR YOU ARE IGBO. DON'T DRAG ME BACK
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 1:29pm On Dec 01, 2013
Afam4eva:
I get your point and i think you also understand the issues when compared to some other Ukwuani or Ika people on this thread. Even the people known as Igbo today were not Igbos in the past as the ethnic group was a a creation of the colonialist and it was created mainly based on similarity in language and culture and not ideologies. That's why the Igbos on the forum are hell-bent on classifying Ika or Ukwuani as Igbos. Being Igbo has gone beyond similarity in language and culture imo and ethnicity imo is like an association of like-minded people and over the years has become more ideological than cultural. Ethnicities are different from Tribes. This is what people will have to understand.

YOU HAVE LOST IT ALL....IT'S NOT IGBOS THAT CLASSIFY UKWUANI AS IGBO BUT NATURE. MY FEST,IT SEEMS UR MY IN-LAW BUT HAVE YOU EVER HEAR AN OGUTA MAN SPEAK BEFORE AND KNOW IT IS EXACTLY SAME WITH UKWUANI.OGUTA HAVE RELATIONSHIP WITH UKWUANI. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT UKWUANI IS BRINGING TO THE TABLE AND I KNOW THAT THE WHOLE UKWUANI ISN'T UPTO HALF OF MY VILLAGE IN EVERYTHING,ATLEAST I HAVE BEEN TO OBIARUKU,OGUME AND ASHAKA. BUT NOT MINDING THEIR DESOLATENESS,THEY ARE STILL MY IN-LAWS AND IGBO
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 2:12pm On Dec 01, 2013
tonychristopher:

YOU HAVE LOST IT ALL....IT'S NOT IGBOS THAT CLASSIFY UKWUANI AS IGBO BUT NATURE. MY FEST,IT SEEMS UR MY IN-LAW BUT HAVE YOU EVER HEAR AN OGUTA MAN SPEAK BEFORE AND KNOW IT IS EXACTLY SAME WITH UKWUANI.OGUTA HAVE RELATIONSHIP WITH UKWUANI. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT UKWUANI IS BRINGING TO THE TABLE AND I KNOW THAT THE WHOLE UKWUANI ISN'T UPTO HALF OF MY VILLAGE IN EVERYTHING,ATLEAST I HAVE BEEN TO OBIARUKU,OGUME AND ASHAKA. BUT NOT MINDING THEIR DESOLATENESS,THEY ARE STILL MY IN-LAWS AND IGBO
I'm talking of the Igbo nonenclature and not the fact that people that speak Igbo languages and practice similar culture have existed probably as old as the world itself. My point is that before the British came, there was nothing like Igbo. As much the people called Igbo today existed, there was no common name that they were not by. Igbos identified with their various clans eg Ngwa, Nkanu, Nsukka, Owerri, Ikwerre, Ukwuani etc. The using of the term Igbo was an attempt to bring all these people under one umbrella for easy administration and convenience.

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.