Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,996 members, 7,825,080 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244918 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 2:41pm On Dec 05, 2013
^^

Yoruba is not a place same way germanic is not a place so i don't know why you are getting worked up about that. Is igala and itsekiri that are classified as yoruba speaking yoruba language? oyo was the largest in that group and they were speaking oyo but colonislist called it yoruba and then used it to name the group. Assuming the name of the group was oyo then the egbas will not want to be called that hence the yoruba name was perfect for them and they can all key in to it.

I ethnic group listed as igbo are the igboid speaking groups that do not have a clear ethnic identity or social structure before the whiteman came. So the white man named you guys igbo and gave you the igbo language name and in other to show relations to others with a defined social structure still used that igbo term to classify us. This is the group that were arranged as series of viliages and clans without a defined political structure like they met in other parts of Nigeria. It is you guys that are actually convincing things because if you look clearly you would have seen how germanic was broken down and the name derived from german which is the largest group in that classification.

This is a link to show you where the classification came from http://www.joshuaproject.net/people-clusters.php so you can mess with the link and check numerous groups yourself if you are still in doubt.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2013
Pharoh: ^^

Yoruba is not a place same way germanic is not a place so i don't know why you are getting worked up about that. Is igala and itsekiri that are classified as yoruba speaking yoruba language? oyo was the largest in that group and they were speaking oyo but colonislist called it yoruba and then used it to name the group. Assuming the name of the group was oyo then the egbas will not want to be called that hence the yoruba name was perfect for them and they can all key in to it.

I ethnic group listed as igbo are the igboid speaking groups that do not have a clear ethnic identity or social structure before the whiteman came. So the white man named you guys igbo and gave you the igbo language name and in other to show relations to others with a defined social structure still used that igbo term to classify us. This is the group that were arranged as series of viliages and clans without a defined political structure like they met in other parts of Nigeria. It is you guys that are actually convincing things because if you look clearly you would have seen how germanic was broken down and the name derived from german which is the largest group in that classification.

This is a link to show you where the classification came from http://www.joshuaproject.net/people-clusters.php so you can mess with the link and check numerous groups yourself if you are still in doubt.
Austria is a nationality and not a language. According to wikipedia, the language spoken by Austrians is German. Austrians may have a different nationalistic feel different from Germany(the country) but culturally, they're Germans(not just Germanic). They're called Austrian Germans despite the fact that they're in a different country.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 4:07pm On Dec 05, 2013
Pharoh: I ethnic group listed as igbo are the igboid speaking groups that do not have a clear ethnic identity or social structure before the whiteman came. So the white man named you guys igbo and gave you the igbo language name and in other to show relations to others with a defined social structure still used that igbo term to classify us. This is the group that were arranged as series of viliages and clans without a defined political structure like they met in other parts of Nigeria.

For someone who I've actually witnessed display learnedness, I'm having a difficult time believing that you are actually this dumb. The developmental history of these various meta identities is Nigeria is easily verifiable. So if you truly are this dumb, that you really do not know one of the first things there is to know about the development of the "Igbo" meta identity, then I suggest you get some reading done.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 4:11pm On Dec 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
Austria is a nationality and not a language. According to Wikipedia, the language spoken by Austrians is German. Austrians may have a different nationalistic feel different from Germany(the country) but culturally, they're Germans(not just Germanic). They're called Austrian Germans despite the fact that they're in a different country.

This is slightly true and because Germans respect their decision hence they are regarded as a separate Germanic ethnic group today and speak Austrian German and not German. This is the same respect the igbos do not want to regard to other groups within the igbo cluster and this is the whole issue about the identity stuff.

Germanic People
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples

Germanic Languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_languages

Igboid - http://archive.ethnologue.com/16/show_family.asp?subid=2109-16

Generic term Ethnic groups

Germanic - German, Austria, Dutch, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein
Igbo/igbonic/igboic - Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii

The above is so simple to understand and if you people cannot understand this classification then it is of no point having this discussion anymore seriously.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 4:22pm On Dec 05, 2013
Pharoh:

This is slightly true and because Germans respect their decision hence they are regarded as a separate Germanic ethnic group today and speak Austrian German and not German. This is the same respect the igbos do not want to regard to other groups within the igbo cluster and this is the whole issue about the identity stuff.

Germanic People
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples

Germanic Languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_languages

Igboid - http://archive.ethnologue.com/16/show_family.asp?subid=2109-16

Generic term Ethnic groups

Germanic - German, Austria, Dutch, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein
Igbo/igbonic/igboic - Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii

The above is so simple to understand and if you people cannot understand this classification then it is of no point having this discussion anymore seriously.
Stop confusing yourself. Austrian German and German are the same culturally but different politically. If you ask an Austrian what ethnicity he is, he'll tell you German and will only ass Austrian if he wants to specify. If Austria and Germany were the same country, there will be no need to call it Austrian German as it will only be seen as a dialect of German, the same way the German spoken in different parts of Germany are not exactly the same. Another reason why someone would refer to himself as an Austrian German is because referring himself to a German will confuse people into thinking that he's from Germany. So, he has to highlight the difference.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 4:54pm On Dec 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
Stop confusing yourself. Austrian German and German are the same culturally but different politically. If you ask an Austrian what ethnicity he is, he'll tell you German and will only ass Austrian if he wants to specify. If Austria and Germany were the same country, there will be no need to call it Austrian German as it will only be seen as a dialect of German, the same way the German spoken in different parts of Germany are not exactly the same. Another reason why someone would refer to himself as an Austrian German is because referring himself to a German will confuse people into thinking that he's from Germany. So, he has to highlight the difference.

You are the one confusing yourself, Austrian is the ethnicity while Austrian German is the language they are speaking. It is very funny that you have conveniently avoided to analyze the other ethnic groups within the Germanic identity. Now let me throw it to you, so do the other Germanic people speak German, a dialect of German or their own separate language but part of the Germanic language family?.

Germans are Germans but they speak a Germanic language ( German ) , dutch are dutch but they speak a Germanic language ( Dutch ) .

Ikas are are Ikas but they speak an igboid language ( Ika ) , Ukwuani are ukwuanis but they speak an igboid language ( Ukwuani ).

Now tell us your ethnic group and your language group classification like i have done for germans, dutch, Ikas and Ukwuanis.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 5:28pm On Dec 05, 2013
Pharoh:

You are the one confusing yourself, Austrian is the ethnicity while Austrian German is the language they are speaking. It is very funny that you have conveniently avoided to analyze the other ethnic groups within the Germanic identity. Now let me throw it to you, so do the other Germanic people speak German, a dialect of German or their own separate language but part of the Germanic language family?.

Germans are Germans but they speak a Germanic language ( German ) , dutch are dutch but they speak a Germanic language ( Dutch ) .

Ikas are are Ikas but they speak an igboid language ( Ika ) , Ukwuani are ukwuanis but they speak an igboid language ( Ukwuani ).

Now tell us your ethnic group and your language group classification like i have done for germans, dutch, Ikas and Ukwuanis.
It brings us back to your earlier assertion about Ika and Ukwuani not wanting to be part of the Igbo ethnic umbrella. I will respect that rather than you trying to convince us how Ikas are different from the Igbos in the east cos that's a hard sell.

I could also say that i am Nkanu but we speak an Igboid language(Nkanu). Now we have to try to differentiate between Igbo and Igboid. What's the difference?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 5:54pm On Dec 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
It brings us back to your earlier assertion about Ika and Ukwuani not wanting to be part of the Igbo ethnic umbrella. I will respect that rather than you trying to convince us how Ikas are different from the Igbos in the east cos that's a hard sell.

I could also say that i am Nkanu but we speak an Igboid language(Nkanu). Now we have to try to differentiate between Igbo and Igboid. What's the difference?

When you meet a german, he does not tell you that he is germanic, an austrian does not tell you that he is germanic and a dutch does not tell you that he is germanic even if they all know germanic shows a relation between them. They all go about their daily life with their ethnic identity which are german, austrian and dutch.

Now Ika is an ethnic group, ukwuani is an ethnic group inside the generic igbo name and just like germans, austrians and dutch do not go about with the germanic term is the same way an Ika and ukwuani will not go about their daily life as igbo. I am ukwuani the same way an isoko is isoko, urhobo is urhobo even though both of them belong to the Benue generic term and their languages belong to the edoid group.

This is why i asked for your ethnic group and ethnic language, so if that is your ethnic identity and langauge then that is what am going to refer to you and that is how you should go about your daily life. The truth of the matter is that officially all over the world no one listed your ethnic group and ethnic language like that. It was listed as igbo and also igbo for your ethnic language. This is because the whiteman met you guys organized into clans or villages and not as socially organized like the Ikas,Ikwerre and Ndokwas.

If you say Nkanu is your ethnic group then your ethnic group should be made up of clans and villages while at the same time your language should be made up of dialects. So the next logical step is for you to name the clans that make up Nkanu and the dialect of Nkanu language as you said it is an igboid language. There are over thirty clans and villages that make up the Ukwuani-Aboh ( Ndokwa) ethnic group and with three major variations of our language Ukwuani-Aboh-Ndoni.

So for any ethnic group in south eastern nigeria, you will have to tell the clans that make up that group, their language and dialects. Your ethnic group is igbo and ethnic language is igbo. Then after that you join together with Ikas, Ikwerre, Ukwuanis, Mgbo, Ezaa, Izii, ekpeye, ogba and ikwo to fall under the generic igbo term. This generic igbo term is the same as saying someone is germanic, so for an Ika he has to go about his life as Ika, Ukwuani go about as ukwuani and you have to go about as igbo ( given to you by the colonialist ) or Nkanu.

I can paste the list of official dialects of the igbo language if you want.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 6:08pm On Dec 05, 2013
This is a link for the yoruboid language http://www.ethnologue.com/subgroups/yoruboid

Study it and you will now understand the igboid language grouping that i have posted here before.

I have posted the meaning of igbo but you were surprised that igbo is an ethnic group inside the generic igbo term. Ika is an ethnic group and Ukwuani is an ethnic group, both of them are different from the igbo ethnic group. Now to show that the three of them are related, you have to find a common name for them the same way germanic was used to show the relation between german and dutch. the mistake was to use igbo to show the relation, it could be any fucking name like laptop, biafra or whatever and that is not the concern of Ikas or ukwuanis. This is because no matter the name you call it Ika will always go with Ika and ukwuani will always go with Ukwuani.

Inside delta state we are Ika and ukwuani, Inside anioma we are ika and Ukwuani, inside Bendel we are Ika and ukwuani and inside whatever we will always be Ika and ukwuani and not igbo. If you like classify us as igbo, igbonic, igboic or whatever, we will always go about our life and destiny as Ika and Ukwuani.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 6:14pm On Dec 05, 2013
Pharoh: This is a link for the yoruboid language http://www.ethnologue.com/subgroups/yoruboid

Study it and you will now understand the igboid language grouping that i have posted here before.

I have posted the meaning of igbo but you were surprised that igbo is an ethnic group inside the generic igbo term. Ika is an ethnic group and Ukwuani is an ethnic group, both of them are different from the igbo ethnic group. Now to show that the three of them are related, you have to find a common name for them the same way germanic was used to show the relation between german and dutch. the mistake was to use igbo to show the relation, it could be any fucking name like laptop, biafra or whatever and that is not the concern of Ikas or ukwuanis. This is because no matter the name you call it Ika will always go with Ika and ukwuani will always go with Ukwuani.

Inside delta state we are Ika and ukwuani, Inside anioma we are ika and Ukwuani, inside Bendel we are Ika and ukwuani and inside whatever we will always be Ika and ukwuani and not igbo.
You see not to understand the Igbo concept at all. What is wrong in Igbo(which is not the name of any Igboid tribe) being used to describe the Igboid groups? It's not like using Onitsha to refer to all of us. There's no place called Igbo, so no group has exclusive rights to that name more than anyone else. Of course we could name the group Laptop, Bia or we could also name it Igbo. I wonder why you guys are apprehensive about the term "Igbo". Ika will always be Ika, Ukwuani will always be Ukwuani, Same with Nkanu, Ngwa, Ikwerre but these people can be under the Igbo umbrella which is more like an Association of like minded peeps. That's what the whole concept of Ethnicity is. That's why it's a different concept from tribe.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 6:30pm On Dec 05, 2013
@Pharoh
You made a mistake with your ethnologue source. That page divided the Igboid groups into two - Ekpeye and Igbo. Under the Igbo(not Igboid) classification, that's where you have Ikwerre, Ukwuani etc. Incidentally, you have Ezza and Izzi which are undoubtedly Igbo groups under that grouping. They're invariably saying that Ukwuani is a language under the Igbo umbrella and not just Igboid.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 6:52pm On Dec 05, 2013
Afam4eva: @Pharoh
You made a mistake with your ethnologue source. That page divided the Igboid groups into two - Ekpeye and Igbo. Under the Igbo(not Igboid) classification, that's where you have Ikwerre, Ukwuani etc. Incidentally, you have Ezza and Izzi which are undoubtedly Igbo groups under that grouping. They're invariably saying that Ukwuani is a language under the Igbo umbrella and not just Igboid.

The most important thing is always the igboid, yoruboid or edoid, the further classification of it is not relevant. They could also say category a and category b or northern igboid and southern igboid. You guys keep saying that there is no one group called igbo but the reality is that no one knows you as mbaise, Nkanu because you have been given the term igbo. The list below are the dialects of the igbo language so you can see why they call you guys igbo and your language igbo.

Afikpo ( awka ),Aniocha ( ezilo ), Bonny-opobo (igbo ), Eche ( ishiela ),Egbema ( isuama ) ,Igbo ( Nkalaga ),Igbo Asaa ( Nkalaha ),Mbaise(Umuhuali ),Ngwa,Nsa,Nsuka,Oguta,Ohafia,Ohuhu,Oka,Onitsha,Orlu,Owerri,Umuahia,Union,Unwana.

There are many ethnologue sources that stated the reason for the classification and this is because ekpeye is so different and if you remove ekpeye then they will remove the igbo sub grouping and it will remain igboid. So all of them are igboid or how does it make sense to you that ukwuani and igbo are also listed under the igbo sub grouping. You guys get excited each time you see igbo anywhere but you don't understand the rational behind listing igbo as the sub group and also as part of the sub group. Same way igbo was listed as the generic term and also listed as one of the ethnic groups, you use the name of the largest member to name the group. This is because the possibility of the largest member swallowing the others is very very high.

French swallowed the others and in the same way Spanish is swallowing the others, hence the reason the catalans are distancing themselves from it. Any group who does not protect itself will be swallowed by the larger group but the most important is we are different and free to live as we wish. If you want i can post academic sources for you explaining why those languages are igboid and not igbo so lets leave it at the igboid level. All of you who come here to shout that ukwuanis are igbos still cannot tell us your ethnic group, clans that make your ethnic group, your ethnic language and dialects of your ethnic language. Give it a try the same way Ika, ukwauni and Ikwerre can conveniently say same for their own identity.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Pharoh: 7:07pm On Dec 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
You see not to understand the Igbo concept at all. What is wrong in Igbo(which is not the name of any Igboid tribe) being used to describe the Igboid groups? It's not like using Onitsha to refer to all of us. There's no place called Igbo, so no group has exclusive rights to that name more than anyone else. Of course we could name the group Laptop, Bia or we could also name it Igbo. I wonder why you guys are apprehensive about the term "Igbo". Ika will always be Ika, Ukwuani will always be Ukwuani, Same with Nkanu, Ngwa, Ikwerre but these people can be under the Igbo umbrella which is more like an Association of like minded peeps. That's what the whole concept of Ethnicity is. That's why it's a different concept from tribe.

Inside the igboid tribes, there is clearly igbo as one of the listed groups so i don't know why you guys keep saying there is nothing like that. It is not about place, it is about identity, inside that group there is ika, ukwuani and there is also igbo so it is clear from the point am coming from. Ndokwa is already an ethnicity and it is made up of ukwauni and aboh people so i don't know why we have to still be inside the igbo ethnicity again. Nkanu and ngwa are not ethnic groups but classified as clans or sub groups inside the igbo ethnic group.

Please a dutch does not need to be shouting everywhere that a german is germanic before they can associate with each other. Be whatever you want to be and i can be whatever i want to be, if there is need for association we will associate simple. See this is the 21st century and every igboid group knows that the word igbo was used to show association between us. So you as an igbo man or Nkanu man should look at the others as your brothers and you definitely don't have to refer to them as igbos. Keep the generic igbo term in your cupboard because we don't need that before we can relate, call yourself igbo and i call myself ukwuani then we can relate on that level. Ukwuani is equal to igbo and not under igbo, this is same for Ika and ikwerre also.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 7:22pm On Dec 05, 2013
1. some igbos should be ashamed of themselves as they dont even know what an igbo word is and what a bini word is , cant you igbos accept that you took some things from benins ? kingship is not practiced in igboland but now every igbo town has an igwe or king , una no de shame and they will say they had it since ancient times.
2. why did majority of ika reject being igbo in 1967 ? why are ika people not part of any igbo ethnic meetings such as ohaneze ndigbo ? un a no de shame , ikas have rejected igbo or being igbo period.
3. if you like continue to fool your self on internet , we don go very far with our activities , moreover if i tell you that my great great great grandfathers name was ovwiagbon , igbos will say it is an igbo word , shame on you igbo propagandists , its not surprising that was how your people were being defeated by nigerian troops but your propaganda machine was saying igbos have killed all nigerian troops , na waooooo ,
4. in ika we know words that are igbo and those that are taken from benin ,
1. ikeke- bycicle
2. egan- prison
3. ulakpa- police
4. eguari- meeting
5. sakpamaghori- great grand child
6. odion- elder
7. odede- old woman
8. ikpanmi- thank you
9. olotu- leader of war
10. ihogbe- scribe
11. ogua- palace
12. ogiso- king
13. bulukun - skirt
14. ada- royal cutlas
15. ogorh- bottle
16. owina- nurse
17. ohue- hunter
18. iheneden - heavy
19. aduaran- giant
20. ayiya- comb
21. aga/agara- chair
23. ighogho - happiness
24. oyo- joy
25. ohai- bachelor
26. oghai oghai - forward
27. itebite- ever lasting life
28. eri- witness
29. onyimiseme- thanks giving
30. ukpe or orukpe - light
31. umbrella - ihiara
32. lake - odhiri
33. ohinmin- big river
35 . eberen - scimitar
36. okpan- plate
37. palm oil - ofungbon
38. needle - oloden
39. ohaimen - chief
40. parrot - okhue
41. nail - ise
42. ihaga- dread locks .
43. human- ihian or ovwan ihian
44. usi- fame
45. ozuor - stupid/foolish person
46. etita- dirty person
47. ogbori- novice
48. coffin - ekpetin -orinmin
49. kettle- agere
50. laiwe- good morning
51. kada - during meal greetings
52. lakpoma- after meals greetings to ones elder .
53. iyare - safe journey/ good tidings
54. domo - greetings to some obis and elders .
55. irehun- sickness
56. igbeorin- dysentry
57- swimmer - ozigue
58. agbon - family / descendant/ generation/ earth .
59. uwe- well being
60. edebiri- a child that stay long in mothers womb
61. ikpade- crystall
62. hill is oke
63. ugbe- family
64. isere- outside
65. ogbe- big or street
66. road - uwaya
67. royal servants - ibiegwa
68. royal guards - nobore
69. native doctor - obuh
70 - chief priest ujobu
71. evil hapenings - idoboro
72. devil - ojuwu
73. to hit - gbe
74.foundation - iyetor
75. it is big - ohi ogbe
76. to be a fool - danozuor
77. fool- obolo
78. wonders - ahima
79. boundary - kaegba
80. ododo- red
81. ojenebo- deified king
82. ogidigan- great person
83. original - eregede
84. real - ketiketi
85. victory - ozegbe
86. ebulebu - good things .
and many more benin words and expressions in ika so we know those words that is in ika language that came from benin and we know those words from igbos in ika language like ----------------------------

1. eka- hand
2. imin- nose , although yorubas call it imu ,
3. onu- mouth , binis call it unu , while yorubas call it enu.
4. eyan- eyes
5. minin-water , although ikas also call some type of water as ame too .
6. okun- fire
7. bia is come
8. wehe- bring
9. umun or omun is children is same with umu in igbo
10. buru- carry .

so we know those words that come from igbo and those that comes from edo in our language , we are not like the average igbo persons that lies and may be out of ignorace say all words are igbo or try to give igbo meanings to every word .
5. as for what umunede means it is a combination of two words as seen in ika language today UMUN IS IGBO FOR CHILDREN AND EDE IS AN ISHAN WORD FOR ELEPHANT, it is not the same with igbo meaning of the word ede.
as today this ika name or word comprisies of both igbo and edo like ehiyem ofe - god gave me freely .or osewuedionma- god is senior , the only word similar to igbo here is wu , which is rendered as bu in many igbo dialects , the full sentence is oselobue wu edionma .
6. okenyeni dodo wehenim okpan ni ri imen agara ri uwaya this is a typical ika sentence and you can see so many things between edo and igbo tied to make a sentence , what was said is , please this man bring me the plate on the chair thats at the roadside .

7. finally ika is ika and we are no other tribe , and we know who we are and we cannot be cowed into an igbo union that is of no benefit and is not even consistent with our ancestors resolve to keep our identity seperate from others

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 9:46pm On Dec 05, 2013
agbotaen: 1. some igbos should be ashamed of themselves as they dont even know what an igbo word is and what a bini word is , cant you igbos accept that you took some things from benins ? kingship is not practiced in igboland but now every igbo town has an igwe or king , una no de shame and they will say they had it since ancient times.
2. why did majority of ika reject being igbo in 1967 ? why are ika people not part of any igbo ethnic meetings such as ohaneze ndigbo ? un a no de shame , ikas have rejected igbo or being igbo period.
3. if you like continue to fool your self on internet , we don go very far with our activities , moreover if i tell you that my great great great grandfathers name was ovwiagbon , igbos will say it is an igbo word , shame on you igbo propagandists , its not surprising that was how your people were being defeated by nigerian troops but your propaganda machine was saying igbos have killed all nigerian troops , na waooooo ,
1. ikeke- bycicle
2. egan- prison
3. ulakpa- police
4. eguari- meeting
6. odion- elder
7. odede- old woman
8. ikpanmi- thank you
9. olotu- leader of war
10. ihogbe- scribe
11. ogua- palace
12. ogiso- king
13. bulukun - skirt
14. ada- royal cutlas
15. ogorh- bottle
16. owina- nurse
17. ohue- hunter
18. iheneden - heavy
19. aduaran- giant
20. ayiya- comb
21. aga/agara- chair
23. ighogho - happiness
24. oyo- joy
25. ohai- bachelor
28. eri- witness
31. umbrella - ihiara
32. lake - odhiri
33. ohinmin- big river
35 . eberen - scimitar
36. okpan- plate
37. palm oil - ofungbon
38. needle - oloden
39. ohaimen - chief
40. parrot - okhue
41. nail - ise
42. ihaga- dread locks .
44. usi- fame
46. etita- dirty person
47. ogbori- novice
49. kettle- agere
50. laiwe- good morning
55. irehun- sickness
56. igbeorin- dysentry
57- swimmer - ozigue
59. uwe- well being
61. ikpade- crystall
62. hill is oke
63. ugbe- family
64. isere- outside
65. ogbe- big or street
66. road - uwaya
69. native doctor - obuh
70 - chief priest ujobu
72. devil - ojuwu
73. to hit - gbe
74.foundation - iyetor
75. it is big - ohi ogbe
77. fool- obolo
78. wonders - ahima
79. boundary - kaegba
80. ododo- red
83. original - eregede
84. real - ketiketi
85. victory - ozegbe
and many more benin words and expressions in ika so we know those words that is in ika language that came from benin and we know those words from igbos in ika language like ----------------------------

1. eka- hand
4. eyan- eyes
6. okun- fire
7. bia is come
8. wehe- bring
10. buru- carry .

so we know those words that come from igbo and those that comes from edo in our language , we are not like the average igbo persons that lies and may be out of ignorace say all words are igbo or try to give igbo meanings to every word .
5. as for what umunede means it is a combination of two words as seen in ika language today UMUN IS IGBO FOR CHILDREN AND EDE IS AN ISHAN WORD FOR ELEPHANT, it is not the same with igbo meaning of the word ede.
as today this ika name or word comprisies of both igbo and edo like ehiyem ofe - god gave me freely .or osewuedionma- god is senior , the only word similar to igbo here is wu , which is rendered as bu in many igbo dialects , the full sentence is oselobue wu edionma .
6. okenyeni dodo wehenim okpan ni ri imen agara ri uwaya this is a typical ika sentence and you can see so many things between edo and igbo tied to make a sentence , what was said is , please this man bring me the plate on the chair thats at the roadside .

7. finally ika is ika and we are no other tribe , and we know who we are and we cannot be cowed into an igbo union that is of no benefit and is not even consistent with our ancestors resolve to keep our identity seperate from others
This is the seventh time you have repeated this crap here, nwannemadu, why?.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Nowenuse: 2:15am On Dec 06, 2013
It really seems like even the so called Delta igbos do not see themselvs as one. I thought they were all Aniomas first before dividing into Agbor, Ukwuani, Asaba, Anochia, Kwale e.t.c. But me hearing some ppl shouting Ukwuani is ukwuani and ika is ika keeps me confused. I don't think these groups are regarded officially distinct like that. Why do u ppl also call yourselvs delta igbo if u know u don't want any assoication of sort with the mainstream igbos?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 1:31pm On Dec 06, 2013
1. an ika man has never called himself delta igbo , it is igbo propagandists and those who are ignorant of where we come from that call ika delta igbo , infact majority of ika people detest being called igbo of any sort , we are ika pure and simple. no one is saying we dont have relationship with igbo , so we cannot also deny our relationship with others like the edos too.
2. anioma was coined from aniocha -a,ndokwa-n, ika-i,oshimili-o, and they added oma to it, it is a concept started some 50 years ago, the people that make up this region have existed and had their own names before this creation.
3. anioma or many of the tribes so called migrated from many places like igbo, edo, yoruba,igala, and many other places but due to inter-relationships have some how evolved many close cultural traits , but they still remain seperate as individual groups and they each know their histories and origin.
4. anioma is made up of four people which are ndokwa, ika, oshimili and aniocha, and an ika man cannot claim to be ndokwa ,just like an oshimili man cannot claim to be ika .but we come together if an issue is affecting our fundamental interest , if not for the igbo people who are forcing and spreading so much untruth ,and the ignorance of many people in nigeria , how can the igala and olukunmi man from delta north be igbo ? how can an ozara man from agbor kingdom be igbo ? and though delta north area has many igbo migrations so does it have migration from other places and so , the whole of anioma cannot be said to be igbo .
5. those at the fore front of igbo call in anioma are usually people from aniocha and oshimili , but in ika and ndokwa areas majority of the people see themself as a distinct tribe , although we have a few voices in both ika and ndokwa who keep shouting that they are igbo , like some people in igbodo and ekwuoma communities in ika , but we also know that because they are at the boundaries of predominantly igbo cultural areas and their fathers might have migrated from igbo land , so that is their free choice but for majority of ika people we belong to the ika nation , a distinct ethnic group .
6. because of our dual mode of migration that is both edo and igbo based migrants at different times both benin and igbos have laid claim to our land but unfortunately they both failed-----------------
1. in 1930 the benins told the british that agbor /ika area was part of benin land and that we are benins
b. also in that same year the great benin historian pa jacob egharevba wrote in his book the short history of benin that agbor and all the ika people were benin people who migrated from benin to evbo ika led by a man called eka who lived in agbor and that later others like the igbos migrated and the language of the early binis got mixed and that the core character and traditions of the ikas was still benin culture.
2. but as a counter our people wrote to the british and declared that the ika people were not benin and that we were not part of any known ethnic group in nigeria.
3. another attempt was made in 1967 , when the biafran troops invaded the midwest and they also declared that ika was part of igboland and that ikas were igbos , but our elders also rejected this statement and declared ika to be a seperate ethnicity ,different from igbos and that laid the igbo claims to rest.
however the benins respect the declaration of ika people and say ikas are related to them , but ever since the igbos and their organisations have never hidden their resolve to lay claim to ika and make ika people adopt igbo as their nationality or tribe , which have always been met with a strong resistance and a clear distance by ika people from any igbo ethnic body .
finally i will like to say that ika is ready to work with any group or ethnic body that wants to make progress in nigeria without sacrificing our hard won freedom and our ethnicity .we are not against any body , we respect others and we will also wish to be accorded same respect, as our people are known to be fearless in challenging injustice over the ages

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
agbotaen: 1. some igbos should be ashamed of themselves as they dont even know what an igbo word is and what a bini word is , cant you igbos accept that you took some things from benins ? kingship is not practiced in igboland but now every igbo town has an igwe or king , una no de shame and they will say they had it since ancient times.
1. ikeke- bycicle
2. egan- prison
3. ulakpa- police
4. eguari- meeting
6. odion- elder
7. odede- old woman
8. ikpanmi- thank you
9. olotu- leader of war
10. ihogbe- scribe
11. ogua- palace
12. ogiso- king
13. bulukun - skirt
14. ada- royal cutlas
15. ogorh- bottle
16. owina- nurse
17. ohue- hunter
18. iheneden - heavy
19. aduaran- giant
20. ayiya- comb
21. aga/agara- chair
23. ighogho - happiness
24. oyo- joy
25. ohai- bachelor
28. eri- witness
31. umbrella - ihiara
32. lake - odhiri
33. ohinmin- big river
35 . eberen - scimitar
36. okpan- plate
37. palm oil - ofungbon
38. needle - oloden
39. ohaimen - chief
40. parrot - okhue
41. nail - ise
42. ihaga- dread locks .
44. usi- fame
46. etita- dirty person
47. ogbori- novice
49. kettle- agere
50. laiwe- good morning
55. irehun- sickness
56. igbeorin- dysentry
57- swimmer - ozigue
59. uwe- well being
61. ikpade- crystall
62. hill is oke
63. ugbe- family
64. isere- outside
65. ogbe- big or street
66. road - uwaya
69. native doctor - obuh
70 - chief priest ujobu
72. devil - ojuwu
73. to hit - gbe
74.foundation - iyetor
75. it is big - ohi ogbe
77. fool- obolo
78. wonders - ahima
79. boundary - kaegba
80. ododo- red
83. original - eregede
84. real - ketiketi
85. victory - ozegbe

1. eka- hand
4. eyan- eyes
6. okun- fire
7. bia is come
8. wehe- bring
10. buru- carry .

I guess the Sultans,Emirs etc all learned kingship from the Binis

Agbotaen have you read the book "anioma:resolving identity crisis" written by the current Obi of Idumuje Unor, HRH Obi Charles Chukwuweike Anyasi III,?If not please i advise you do so.If you dont know where to get it let me know i can get it across to you or tell you where to get a copy.Please read the book review from Professor Egonwa Below:

By Osas Egonwa

I have gone through this book and am so glad to be associated with the project. I will now proceed to share the author’s ideas as well as mine on the subject matter and you will agree with me that it is something to be proud of. This book, Anioma, Resolving the Identity Crisis, cannot be timelier than now because there has been a lot of identity crises among those who ought to be moving the case for Anioma State. Many of them think that we cannot have an Anioma State or an Anioma people because they believe that they see themselves as coming from other stock. I remember reading something by the late Professor Afigbo. He said that the problem with minorities is that they keep tracing their origins to neighbouring great states. For us Anioma people or Umu Anioma, as the author calls us, it is either that we think we are from Benin because it has a prestigious name, a great history and tradition, they have been known worldwide, or we are from the east because of their number. But whatever the case, the author has tried, using empirical evidence, historical records, not just journalism, not just vain argument but has supported his facts with authentic verifiable and comparable data, supporting his own line of thought.

About a month ago I was present in another Anioma forum to read the paper on behalf of a colleague of mine. There, the paper was saying that we can stay on our own because we have economic viability, enough to guarantee us a state, but the central issue here is not economic viability. We are talking about identity, who are we? This is essential because if you don’t know where you are coming from, or how you see yourself, you cannot determine where you are or the way forward. That is precisely what I have found in this book. I have studied this book and am convinced that the author has been able to prove that we need not have identity crisis as Anioma people.

Yes, some argue that they came from Benin, but we saw what happened during the Nigerian Civil War; our people suffered. Some of us were young but we saw what happened. Some of the important people in our communities were killed and their goods looted in Benin, as the author reminds us, and you say you are from Benin because one of your great grand fathers was a Benin chief or a king who came down from Benin and came to this part of the world with Benin diplomacy and imposed themselves on a community predominantly Igbo before their arrival.

Again, some people don’t want to hear the word Igbo, but why? The author has been able to trace the history of the word Igbo. He discloses that it came from the name Eber, which metamorphosed to Hebrew, Heebo and modified to Ibo or Igbo, all traceable to the Jews. And if you see what the Igbos are suffering in Nigeria, according to the author, not just in Nigeria, but worldwide, you will know that the Igbos are connected with the Jews. It is not just a simple story like that; he showed us history, from the Bible, from historical accounts to show the movement; that they came right from the east to this part of the world and settled down. He also buttressed this with evidences of cultural traits, names, traditions, even their kingship pattern, even of kings going to war. You recall the Bible history of how Israelite kings led their people to war. Yes, as the author narrates, the kings physically led their soldiers to war, they were in front, not just as commanders sitting back and using walkie-talkie to issue commands. And I am very proud that, being a man of God and being a scholar, the author has been able to muster all the evidences to establish what he refers to as a trigonometric relationship between the Hebrews, the Igbos and Umu Anioma. And that is very important, very very important.

Now, someone may be asking; why the Jewish connection? If you are a student of history, it will be clear to you that if you pick up a quarrel with a Jew, the Jew wins easily. Therefore, if we are in any form of challenge with anyone, we are going to win by inheritance. You cannot defeat a Jew, so why don’t we boldly associate with them. It is better for us to associate with that which is good so that we can know where we are heading to. After all, no one answers a name like Ogwumagana (Chameleon) or Idide (Milipede), but you find people bearing Agu (Lion), Eke (python) e.t.c. because they are associated with bravery.

At any rate, the author also made us to understand that he is not trying to advocate a re-gathering of the Jews scattered all over the place and migrated to our present place, as it is not necessary.

Talking about the Igbo connection, if you say you don’t like the word Igbo because it has acquired some derogatory terms, don’t worry about it. If your name acquires derogatory status, it is your duty to find out why. Whatever you call something that is what it is for you. If your Igbo is derogatory, it is because you called it so.

Research has shown that Igbo means nothing but People, signified by such names as Igbo Ukwu (People of Great Community), Igbo Uzor (People living by the Highway) Igboafugo (People have seen), Igbo Egbunam (May the people not kill me). It is also probable that some of the communities in the west with Igbo names are people who migrated from Igbo land, dwelt in the west and later moved away. So why are people afraid to be associated with Igbo?

There was the issue of the slave trade, which the author also referred to; a period when slaves were referred to as Igbo, but that is not what the author is talking about here. We are talking about people who live in a community.

The fundamental question is; who are we, the Anioma people? The author has tried very much to use so many instances to plot the map and establish that it is better for us to realise that our origin is connected more to the east than the west. Some communities in Anioma do not want to hear the name Igbo, but that should not be so, especially if you consider their first names, community names, culture and language.
If you say we are Edos, how about Igbanke? Ozanobodo is even there, and what about Abavo? These are Ika people and Ika is in Anioma. There are so many things we ought to know so that we can stand our ground in proclaiming that we are Anioma.

He looked at some of the clans like the Ubulus, the Ndokwa and the Ezechimas and showed very well us how these people are connected with the Jews. He even went into such issues as physical immortality and all that, which is quite philosophical and almost esoterical, but they are needed. That is why I say that this book is not just a book of history or advocacy. It is a book of philosophy, things you ought to know.

The worship style of our people is also connected with the Nri. Of course you know that Nri is a source where most of our people came from. The Ogwashi Ukwu people came from there. They were originally called Ogwanshi but over there, they call them Nri. And the ruling families are actually from there, with their relations and all that. And you find that in Igboland, the Nri people are the Levites who cleanse the land. We were also told that they sold iron spearheads; they were blacksmiths, and traded as they went along doing their ritual or legal functions. And you find that our people here also follow the same Levitical structure in our worship and so on and so forth. However, the author did not fail to tell us also that modern influences have eroded these Jewish influences because the Jews who practiced Judaism stood for one man one wife, but later, that culture was polluted. Not that we don’t have records of those who married multiple wives. We saw the case of Solomon, but we saw what happened to him, even David, a man after God’s h[b]eart. We also saw what happened to him as a result of multiple wives. So, he is trying to use all these evidences to show who we are, where we came from and where we should be going.[/b]

[b]We have the Chima story for instance. The Chima story is very important. But some Ika people refer to him as Ikime or Kime or whatever, because they don’t want to identify with the Igbo. But how can it be that a strong Igbo man that travelled to Edo land remained an Igbo? Of course, the author reminds us that the Igbo race witnessed an era of native doctors who undertook pilgrimages called mbia. History has established that, at some point, there was a movement around the 16th Century of people from the east who moved up. And we have traditions in our own Anioma area which show that native doctors usually actually undertook the mbia trips. So, it is very likely that Chima, being a very good native doctor, was retained by the Oba, with whom he nurtured a relationship. However, in their relationship, some disagreement arose. Of course, when you are a stranger in a place, you are a stranger. In fact, there were wars, and these wars caused the migration of Chima and his people, eventually referred to as Ezechima. These facts have been thoroughly established in this book.[/b]

EXCERPTS ENDS

Please take note of the highlighted.This is a book written by the Current Obi Of Idumuje Unor. He also boldly disabuses the minds of those who have, for long, peddled the Anioma / Edo ancestral link. This book presents an assertive triogonometric perspective of Anioma / Igbo / Jewish link for a majority of Anioma people, It is also a great eye-opener to many young Anioma youths on some of the fading Anioma myths, customs and tradition. The story is told, vintage Charles Anyasi, with the simplicity, authority and candour of a home-bred Prince and key player in the Anioma project.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 2:42pm On Dec 06, 2013
OWA / IKA CULTURE , Uniquely pure , we are proud of this culture and tradition , it has been formed for over a thousand years , it is distinctly owa/ika , blended from many cultures of the edos , igbos, ndokwa, and other ika communities.it is one key community in ika ethnic group in delta and edo state , as some communities of owa are actually in edo state.
this typifies the kind of dressing that owa chiefs will put on during the igue festival , this december , signifying their brotherly relationship they have with benins, i also make it a point to say that when we celebrate the ikenga festival in owa , we also share our link with igbos in nri .
obi , iselogbe ,
agbogidi iyare ,
ojenebo iyare ,
obi nitor nefe ,
ise ,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2013
1. learn to appreciate others , and learn to say the truth , igbos surely took kingship from other people , it is the british that introduced the igbos to warrant chiefs that later turned to kings , and even many communities in igboland that did not have kings are now having , his royal majesties.
2. it was due to the absence of a central authority in igboland unlike the hausa land that have been influenced by islamic monarchy that the british formed warrant chiefs in the east.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 3:29pm On Dec 06, 2013
1. unfortunately idumuje unor is an ika kingdom and he is aniocha or oshimili , so he does not speak for us , he speaks for his people and the resolve of majority of ikas is that we are not igbo , please get that and respect that.
2. eze chima or whatever did not found ika , ika is an ancient teritory , infact one agbor story has it that ikime or kime was from alisimie in agbor and chimas story is just around 16th century , but agbor kingdom is several thousand years old , owa is more that a thousand years old , mbiri is more than a thousand years old , so get that .
3. are you not tired of convincing your self of ika being igbo , when ikas in their majority will have nothing to do with igbos or your ethnic organisation ? please make do with the aniomas that say they are igbos , mainly from aniocha/oshimili area , as ikas are not interested in being in union with you , what is even the value of this your igbo ethnicity you keep shoving to those who are not interested ?
4. it is igbos that are rather confussed , one day they will say we want biafra , another day they will say we want an igbo president , and another time they will say they came from nri , another time they will say they are from igboukwu and at another they will say they are from isreal , please settle your own confussion before you decide that ikas are confuessed.
5. no ika person is confussed we are resolute that we are ika thats all ,
6. we are not liers , this your igbo nation or tribe was formed by the british and it is less than 200 years old , so of what value is it to ika nation ?
7. for your information , anioma is a union founded some 50 years ago , and before anioma we know who we were , and we are ikas , and we dont need any body to tell us who we are , and our fathers agreed to an anioma union because it will favour us politically , they did not say it was an igbo union , and why anioma is not working well is because of people from aniocha/oshimili whose major preocupation with their fellow propagandists from the east are determined to turn anioma into an igbo union and that is why it is failling.
8. ika will stand and we did not get to where we got to today because we are anioma , it is because we are resolute and blessed and hard working that is why our people are succceeding , me am proud to be ika , others can be proud of being igbo , but for majority of us we are just ika , and we will not trade our precious ika ethnic nationality for some like being igbo , god forbid , and may our ancestors who fought many wars , including the biafra war on the side of nigeria army to help expel biafra from our land not agree oooo.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 3:41pm On Dec 06, 2013
AGBOTAEN PLEASE READ UP A PARTICULAR CULTURE OF THE BINI ON THE WEBPAGE BELOW

http://academic.csuohio.edu/curnowk/curnowk/html/aisien.html

Below is an excerpts in the write up from the Page above.The writer clearly acknowledged bini influence on its neighboring towns.

"Under the influence of Benin, however, neighboring peoples such as the Esan to the immediate north and the Ika Igbo to the east adopted the iwu patterns. The people of Usen, who straddle the Bini-Yoruba border, also emulated this style, but left out the gender-defining mark. Frequent contacts between Benin and Owo, and Benin's influence on the latter, show up in the scarifications on small ivory statuettes from Owo (Fagg & Bassani 1988: fig. 264; Bedaux & Smits 1991;76-77; Ezra 1992:285). The figures display the typical five long abdominal marks; whether they mean the same thing is uncertain. Osugbo (Ogboni) torso markings on some male and female terracota figures from Ijebu (Yoruba) are also like iwu, but the relationship, if any, remains cloudy. "
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 3:43pm On Dec 06, 2013
ologunmaza is what owa- ika people call cameleon , we are proud of who we are and we will not allow your less than 200 years igbo ethnicity to sway us , please mr igbo go and settle the problem of where igbos came from , and infact also check the little information your ethnicity has , and try to give your ethnicity a good name , clean up your stable , because it is not a good brand name , if it were people will be struggling to say they are igbo , look at yoruba , people are proud of belonging to such an ethnicity and they do not force people or make propaganda , but the reverse is the case with igbos , too much propaganda that iritates people

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 3:47pm On Dec 06, 2013
AGBOTAEN,IKA IS NOT AN ETHNIC GROUP.IT IS JUST THE NAME OF YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT.YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY FREE TO SAY YOU ARE FROM IKA JUST LIKE ANYBODY CAN SAY HE OR SHE IS FROM AWKA,NSUKKA BUT THESE ARE ALL IGBO TOWNS.STOP BEING DAFT FOR ONCE!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 3:56pm On Dec 06, 2013
AGBOTAEN PLEASE TELL ME THE FAMILY YOU BELONG BELOW AND YOUR SALUTATION AS A BINI MAN OR AS A BINI MIGRANTI BELIEVE YOU SHOULD KNOW.I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHICH FAMILY YOU COME FROM

The Benins Family Morning salutation

FAMILY OF SALUTATION

Ogiso Igodo-------------------------------------- Dalaiso
Eweka I------------------------------------- Lamogun
Iyase of Benin--------------------------------- Lavbieze
Oliha of Benin-------------------- Lagole
Edohen of Benin-------------- Latose
Ezomo of Benin---------------- Lagiesan
Ero of Benin ----------------- Lamosun
Eholo-Nire of Benin ----------------- Laire
Oloton of Benin ---------------- Lamehi
Elema of Benin ---------------- Lagbo
Ogiamen of Benin ---------------- Laire
Ogiefa of Benin ---------------- Larendo
Ine N’Igun of Benin---------------- Lani
Osa of Benin ----------------- Laiki
Osuan of Benin ----------------- Labo
Enogie of Ugo N’Iykorhionmwon---------------- Labo
Osenugba Ebo
Odionwere N’Idunmwun-Ebo ----------------- Ebo
Iyase of Udo-----------------------------------Lagiewan
Enogie of Ugo N’Eki---------------- Lakun
Enogie of Ute-------------- Lagite
Ise of Utekon--------------- Laeru
Iyase of Uselu---------------- Layede
Elawure of Usen ------------- Lauhe
Ezima{Ojima} of Okeluhen---------------- Layeru
Enogie of Uvbe--------------------------------Lauvbe
Enogie of Ehor ------------- Ealaeho
Eholor of Igieduma ------------- Laihon
Olokhunmwun ------------- Lagun
Umodu ------------- Lamodu
Emezi ------------ Lamezi
Eni of uzae{Ijare} ------------- Lamore
Aide ------------- Laide
Olomoru -------------- Lamore
Oloke ------------- Laloke
Ughe ----------------- Laughe
Igie ------------------ Laigie
Ugha ------------------- Laugha
Ohennukoni of Evbbiekoi------------------- Laihe
Enogie of Irhue ------------------- Lalu
Enogie of Evbokabua ----------------- Labiuwa
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 4:13pm On Dec 06, 2013
1, ika people too had igu exactly like benins , i even asked why we had it , and some elders say it was to distinguish a benin descendants from outsiders , well that is history , benins call it iwu , ika call it igu and those that are specialized in making such marks are called osigu in owa , dialect .
2. relationship between ika and edo comes way back and it is not as a result of only war of conquest , history tells us that oba ewuare and esigie and orhogbua conquered many areas of ika around 16-17th century , but relationship between ika and benin existed hundred of years before these three kings e.g -
1. the second obi of owa was named igbedigin no gidigan and he was my ancestor , he ruled around early 13th century , about 300 years before ewuare and others .
2. around the 10th century the first ugbasogun migrated from benin into agbor and up till today , any body who wants to become the ugbasogun of agbor must go to benin , the town where the first chief came from to collect native chalk before he will become the chief.
3. lets also not forget that the present dein of agbor is from same blood family line with the oba of benin , hence it is forbiden for any agbor prince to marry from the family of the present king of benin.
4. there was fluid movement from one end of benin empire to another and if you can recall the obaseki that ruled benin when overanwen was capture was the son of the obi of nsukwa in delta state .
5. as benins migrated into ika and other areas , so also did ikas too migrate into benin and up till date many benin villages and esan villages agree that their ancestors migrated from ika area , like ugboha in esan , and they have an idumucalled idumu agbor , they said that during an ancient war they had to call on agbor kingdom to give them warriors and they won the war for them and were giving land.
6. in 1690 , when there was dispute in royal family of agbor as to who will become king , the oba , invited one of the parties and he came with wealth , wives, and slaves and he was asked to live with the ihama and he was never allowed to go back to agbor again , this was written by jacob eghareva .
7. in benin kingdom , no outsider can be given a title , but we can see that there are many igbanke people that hold titles in benin such as ogbemudia , chief omorodion , and many others ,that is a sign that the relationship is still kept till date .
8. there is a place in umunede called idumu-oba , where an ancient wife of the oba of benin come from and up till date the palace of benin still sends chiefs to perform certain rituals there , one in about 10 years .
9.if any ika kingdom has problems in traditional rulership issues or that of tradition , i do not see them turning else where than benin , because that is where our tradition of kingship and most of our other cultures come from .

10 , ika is not same as your igbo awka , and if your so called population is deceiving you , ika is over one million people , and mind you isreal is less than five million people and it is a country , which igbos claim they came from , with their over 40 million population that they always quote .
11. ika has about six to seven language variations, a culture that is different and an ideology that is different from that of the igbo people , so get that right ,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 4:21pm On Dec 06, 2013
1. laire is one of the greetings of owa kingdom and my idumuzomor people so with that it means we are from ogiamen family but right now i am an ika man period , i am not benin .
2. owa-ofien greets laiweze that means they are from iyase family
3. we also greet laughe too.
4. we also greet kada during meals like most benin people .
5. after meals we greet lakpoma.
does that answer your questions, but am not benin , i am pure ika
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 4:25pm On Dec 06, 2013
we greet our obi as agbogidi iyare,
ojenebo iyare,
ogiso iyare ,
agwo ekirika iyare,
obi nitor nefe , ise ,
so what do you say , as the last greetings of the oba is oba ghator kpere e , ise
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 4:26pm On Dec 06, 2013
1. you are the daft person as you and your igbo cohorts are not tired , you siblings tried to force igbo down the throat of ika people and they assisted nigeria in expelling you from their land , is that not enough for you ?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 4:44pm On Dec 06, 2013
it is your questions or comments that bring my answers out , because i know some people here are so daft that they dont even know the difference between ika and ndokwa or aniocha and ika or ika and igbo .
2. itsekiri is a tribe that was influenced by yoruba and edo migration , but the matured yoruba and benin people do not shout that itsekiri is yoruba or benin , but we can see the thinking pattern of most igbos and how un -matured they are , about issues and we can also see the nature of their mind as per their ability to engage in continous lies and propaganda ,
what a shame , .
3. esan and benin are close in culture and language yet they are different tribe , the benins with their huge population are not shouting at ishan people that they are benins , that is maturity but what do we get from igbos - propaganda of how ika is igbo or should declare them selfs igbo.
4. isoko is a very small ethnic group and they share many cultural affinity with the largest ethnic group in delta the uhrobos , yet the uhrobos are not shouting that isoko is uhrobo , what a display of maturity , but can that be said of igbos ? the answer is no.
5. ika kingdoms have been well organised and advanced for almost a thousand years , so we will not decend to the level of adopting a less advanced and organised people as our ethnicity .not after long years of fighting the benin empire and our fight for freedom in 1967 , during the biafra wars that the igbos annexed our land forcefully , and our concious march to regain our land in less than 3 months .

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:22pm On Dec 06, 2013
Pharoh: @Some-girl

No one is distancing from anybody here because i have told you here countless times that igbos are like brothers and family to us. That was an explanation to show a demarcation of defined identity and space and not about distancing oneself.

I am asking for your ethnic group identity in the same sense that i call myself Ndokwa or someone calling himself Ikwere or Ika.

There was no yoruba language, what they did was to pick the language of the most populated ethnic group within the cluster and called it yoruba language and this is the oyo language. Itsekiri is a different language to yoruba language but they belong to the yoruboid language group because of the relationship that exist between them. Now Ukwuani, Ika and Ikwere are related to the created standard or central igbo language because they are not a dialects of it but only shows relationship to it hence the similarities in some words.

What they should have actually done was to pick the language of biggest ethnic group from the south eastern region. Because there was lack of social organization and hierarchical structure in that region, hence there were no defined ethnic groups but collection of clans or villages. They decided to give all of you the igbo ethnic group identity ( imo, abia, anambra and enugu minus ebonyi because they are not igbos ) and in so doing became the largest ethnic group within the igbo cluster.

The cluster name are usually derived out of convenience from the name of the largest ethnic group within the cluster. So ukwuani is my ethnic group inside the igbo cluster while igbo is your ethnic group within the igbo cluster. The name of the cluster can be igbonic, igbonoic, laptop, screen or whatever instead of the present given igbo so the term igbo is irrelevant to Ikas and ukwuanis.

Please go back to my statement again as i did not dispute what is in bold there because we are both agreeing that it is the primary basis for relationship between groups. The other factors that are different are the factors which differentiates esan, isoko, urhobo and edo people from each other despite all of them being related by language and culture. I am not talking about origin but the essence of each ethnic group, this is the reason an igbo man will meet an ikwere man and wonder to himself that they don't behave like igbos. It is the essence that differentiates each ethnic group but there is no point going into the details because i believe you get the point now.

Words are shared among related languages, sometimes spelt differently or they are different entirely, so the umu word there is an igboid word and not an igbo word because it is not exclusive to the igbo ethnic group only. On the other hand i don't know the reason for the antagonism with Ika people because they have repeatedly said they are a people of mixed origin. People came from benin, igala, igbo, ndokwa, aniocha and all that to form the ika ethnic group.

Now you are getting the point but point of correction though is that igboid is a grouping of language only and igbo is grouping of people but in most cases the name of the groups of people is the name of their language also. Now go through the groupings that i will present for you to understand that the name of our grouping is so irrelevant that i don't know why people are worked up about it. Offcourse the name of the group is irrelevant all over the world because each ethnic group have 100 percent right to pursue their ethnic identity in whatever capacity that they so wish.

Group Name --- Ethnic groups

Germanic ----- German, Austria, Dutch, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein
German ----- German, Austria, Dutch, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein
Laptop ----- German, Austria, Dutch, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein

Igbo ----- Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii
Igbonic ----- Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii
Igboic ---- Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii
Laptop ------ Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii

Anglo-celts ---- British, Scotish, Irish, welsh etc
British ---- British, Scotish, Irish, welsh etc
Laptop ---- British, Scotish, Irish, welsh etc

Yoruba - Oyo, Egba, Igala, Itsekiri, Ife, Ede, akoko, etc
Odua - Oyo, Egba, Igala, Itsekiri, Ife, Ede, akoko, etc
Laptop - Oyo, Egba, Igala, Itsekiri, Ife, Ede, akoko, etc

The ethnic group whose identity was used to name the group will carry it on their head like their life depends on it but it is not so for the others. Europeans are better evolved than us because after the grouping they all went about their different life without disturbing the others in their group. Scandinavian is made of Norwegians, danish, Icelandic and Swedish but they are all going about their different life and destiny so igbos should respect the others in their group.

you are just mentally gallivanting ....there is no tribe that speaks the purest igbo. how dare you .say ebonyian aint igbo.I know they ain't as confused as ika and most ndokwa. don't sow seed of discord
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 6:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
Pharoh: @Some-girl

No one is distancing from anybody here because i have told you here countless times that igbos are like brothers and family to us. That was an explanation to show a demarcation of defined identity and space and not about distancing oneself.

I am asking for your ethnic group identity in the same sense that i call myself Ndokwa or someone calling himself Ikwere or Ika.

There was no yoruba language, what they did was to pick the language of the most populated ethnic group within the cluster and called it yoruba language and this is the oyo language. Itsekiri is a different language to yoruba language but they belong to the yoruboid language group because of the relationship that exist between them. Now Ukwuani, Ika and Ikwere are related to the created standard or central igbo language because they are not a dialects of it but only shows relationship to it hence the similarities in some words.

What they should have actually done was to pick the language of biggest ethnic group from the south eastern region. Because there was lack of social organization and hierarchical structure in that region, hence there were no defined ethnic groups but collection of clans or villages. They decided to give all of you the igbo ethnic group identity ( imo, abia, anambra and enugu minus ebonyi because they are not igbos ) and in so doing became the largest ethnic group within the igbo cluster.

The cluster name are usually derived out of convenience from the name of the largest ethnic group within the cluster. So ukwuani is my ethnic group inside the igbo cluster while igbo is your ethnic group within the igbo cluster. The name of the cluster can be igbonic, igbonoic, laptop, screen or whatever instead of the present given igbo so the term igbo is irrelevant to Ikas and ukwuanis.

Please go back to my statement again as i did not dispute what is in bold there because we are both agreeing that it is the primary basis for relationship between groups. The other factors that are different are the factors which differentiates esan, isoko, urhobo and edo people from each other despite all of them being related by language and culture. I am not talking about origin but the essence of each ethnic group, this is the reason an igbo man will meet an ikwere man and wonder to himself that they don't behave like igbos. It is the essence that differentiates each ethnic group but there is no point going into the details because i believe you get the point now.

Words are shared among related languages, sometimes spelt differently or they are different entirely, so the umu word there is an igboid word and not an igbo word because it is not exclusive to the igbo ethnic group only. On the other hand i don't know the reason for the antagonism with Ika people because they have repeatedly said they are a people of mixed origin. People came from benin, igala, igbo, ndokwa, aniocha and all that to form the ika ethnic group.

Now you are getting the point but point of correction though is that igboid is a grouping of language only and igbo is grouping of people but in most cases the name of the groups of people is the name of their language also. Now go through the groupings that i will present for you to understand that the name of our grouping is so irrelevant that i don't know why people are worked up about it. Offcourse the name of the group is irrelevant all over the world because each ethnic group have 100 percent right to pursue their ethnic identity in whatever capacity that they so wish.

Group Name --- Ethnic groups

Germanic ----- German, Austria, Dutch, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein
German ----- German, Austria, Dutch, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein
Laptop ----- German, Austria, Dutch, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein

Igbo ----- Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii
Igbonic ----- Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii
Igboic ---- Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii
Laptop ------ Ika, Ukwuani, Ogba, Epkeye, Ikwerre, Ezaa, Igbo, Izii

Anglo-celts ---- British, Scotish, Irish, welsh etc
British ---- British, Scotish, Irish, welsh etc
Laptop ---- British, Scotish, Irish, welsh etc

Yoruba - Oyo, Egba, Igala, Itsekiri, Ife, Ede, akoko, etc
Odua - Oyo, Egba, Igala, Itsekiri, Ife, Ede, akoko, etc
Laptop - Oyo, Egba, Igala, Itsekiri, Ife, Ede, akoko, etc

The ethnic group whose identity was used to name the group will carry it on their head like their life depends on it but it is not so for the others. Europeans are better evolved than us because after the grouping they all went about their different life without disturbing the others in their group. Scandinavian is made of Norwegians, danish, Icelandic and Swedish but they are all going about their different life and destiny so igbos should respect the others in their group.

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 213
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.