Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,144 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244191 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 6:33pm On Oct 26, 2010
chyz1:
I was banned because I posted Ika history. Obviously admin is supporting him and trying to hide the truth.

The truth cannot be hidden forever.Everyone can just browse Ika website and can as well access the history of Ika.Agbotaen's hometown of Owa is of Nri origin.Most ethnic groups in Nigeria are just mix of different origins just like Igbos.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by oweniwe(m): 9:21pm On Oct 26, 2010
He he he he he. You people are still arguing and shouting about this topic. I better run before una drag me enter this roforofo talk again grin grin grin grin . . .*runs from thread without looking back**
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2010
oweniwe:

He he he he he. You people are still arguing and shouting about this topic. I better run before una drag me enter this roforofo talk again grin grin grin grin . . .*runs from thread without looking back**
Simply say you lack ideas for this sort of thread. Whilst you lasted here you contributed nothing positive and always blaming your Opera internet system for your inefficiency.
Run to the joke section where you are more suited.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by 9ja4eva: 6:02am On Oct 27, 2010
What is the issue with Ika People?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 11:56am On Oct 27, 2010
9ja4eva:

What is the issue with Ika People?

Nothing special, just that a microscopic few like Agbontaen has been telling forumites that Ikas are not Igbo, but can not defend it. But we have followed him bumper to bumper with facts. He has been defeated yet he does not want to accept defeat.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:18pm On Oct 27, 2010
Defeated?; Seriously, Andre, everthing is not a war; the problem with your mentality.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Defeated?; Seriously, Andre, everthing is not a war; the problem with your mentality.
What does the bolded mean?.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 11:23pm On Oct 27, 2010
Nevermind that actually. I had the wrong thing in mind. My mistake.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by malabite: 12:50am On Oct 28, 2010
lol
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by excanny: 5:36am On Oct 29, 2010
malabite:

It's not just the Igbos in Delta that disagree that they are Igbo, those in Rivers also have the same problem. I'm from Imo state, my home is just at the boundary with Anambra state. When I go to Delta I speak Igbo with guys there and we understand one another perfectly, same thing as when I go across Owerri and into Rivers state. Surprisingly, communication with Ohafia is not that easy, same with those from Nsukka and some parts of Ebonyi state because of the huge difference in dialect.

It is wrong for anybody to think that the Igbos across the Niger have one dialect and one culture. No, Igbo is simply a collection of different cultures and variety of dialects. My friend was surprised to learn recently that not all parts of Imo state and indeed Igbo land celebrate New Yam festival, and not all part do the Iwa-Akwa which is a right of passage for men (we don't), same with beliefs about masquarades. The same way an Hausa man see the Abiriba war dance on YouTube is the same way I see it, even though it was once part of my state

There was Bini influence on the Igbos in the other side of the Niger, but that does make them Bini. The Fulanis had a huge influence on the Hausas even up to Ilorin, but that did not change the Hausa man to fulani

The whole problem actually started immediately after the Nigeria/Biafra war, no one wants to be associated with secession, no one wants to be associated with defeat. And the whole issue of abandoned property in Port Harcourt worsened the discussion, and till date things have not returned to the pre-war state.

This is tantamount to the situation in America where the African Americans say they prefer to be known Black Americans because they are not Africans. They argue that Africans suffer from malaria and AIDS and poverty, but they have never suffered from any of those African diseases. More so, they have never visited African neither have their parents, so no link with Africa to make them have 'Africa' in their social classification. This phenomenon, just like the Nigeria/Biafra denial is a recent development, because some decades ago people like Martin Luther King Jnr, Muhammad Ali and others recognized that they originated from Africa, until the media started patronizing and painting Africa as wretched.

Well said, my brother. It's funny how some black Americans are working so hard to deny their African identity, same way the Igbo denials are doing.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 11:54am On Nov 03, 2010
owa was founded over a thousand years ago by migrants from ikoha in ovia local govt area of benin, every bonafde owa person knows this, that is why one of the ancient greetings and motto of owa people is OWA ADAGBA NI IKOHA.( OWA CHILDREN OF ADAGBA,WHO HAILED FROM IKOHA) . and the first town or village in owa kingdom is ofien ,owa-ofien or ofien adagba. adagba as the leader and founder of ofien has been imortalised in owa ,by naming a primary school after him, in owa ofien , this primary school was founded in 1956.this was many years before the nigerian civil war or even nigerian independence , the reason i put the date is to silence the many ignorant people who try to ascribe everything ikas do to the civil war.
2. the next town to migrate to owa was owa -ekei , founded by a bini warrior called ugbasogun around the 9 th ,century ,and later others followed.
3. then we have owa- oyibu the traditional headquarters of owa kingdom also founded by bini /ishan migrants around the 10th century and later followed by people from ndokwa,aniocha areas,and ute people in thr 12th century led by odogun and ozomor ,who were royal princes from ute-okpu kingdom.
4. then we had the owa -alero migration from agbor, otolokpo, uronegbe that is from ishan,ndokwa and others .
5. then we had the owa-nta -idumuetor communty made up of three core founders from different places like okwe, edie and ile.
6. owa alizomor from ute, obazagbon nugu in edo ,and migrants from different ika towns like ogbeje town and others .
7. owa alidinma founded by izoghor from owa -oyibu and later ukwali people and people from uhronigbe .

odogun is the link between owa and ute , it was odogun that used his military powers to found owa kingdom in the 12th century .he faced resistance from ofien and other people but he was later able to summount them and become the first king of owa .
each owa town has many villages founded by different people from different places , and each village has their particular history and even deities that was brought from their original places of migration.
oyibu is where the obi comes from and oyibu is made up of 13 villages out of which 6 are royal .that means they are children of the past or present obis.and as such they are the only ones that can attain the exalted position of the ihama of owa kingdom.
ON ODOGUN,tradition has it that he came from ute-okpu kingdom and that he was the son of obi ijue ,who was sent by the father to fight for the oba of benin during the edionehan or agbagwala war,and on getting back his father had died and they crowned his junior brother okpu as king ,which was against the tradition.but this happened because he did not return from war and they thought he was dead , so he moved away along with his brothers ogbeje ,ozomor , igbegidi.it was said that ogbeje founded ute-ogbeje while ozomor founded owa alizomor .
however some tradition says that ijue ,odoguns father came from nri in anambra state,while other tradition says he came from benin.but we observed that the names of his father ijue ,and that of his brothers ozomor,ogbeje,and igbegidi were all benin names ,and the kingship and chief thancy system adopted by ijue and odogun were benin style kingship.
but what was observed by tradition was that in ute around the 12th century there were already migrations into ute from nri and benin areas and it seems that after some long years of mixing a unique culture of ika emerged.
8. intelligence report of the british in 1913 , said owa kingdom is a mix of migration from benin and igbo cultural area. another one conducted in 1930 says that owa has a dual history of migration ( that of benin and nri)
9. 1970 , research done by proff.owunjeogwu was of the view that owa has a dual history of nri and benin, he even went further to say that owa resulted from migrations from ancient ika culture , which he dated to about 4,000 b.c , and nri culture which he dated to 9th to 19th century and edo-bini culture.
10. 1n year 2009, when the obi of owa was about to attain 50th year on the throne of our ancestors , the obi of owa ,along with owa stake holders forum ,which is the highest socio-cultural group in owa kingdom composed a group of 5 professors of owa origin, chiefs, princes , elders of owa to research into the history of owa kingdom.and write out their findings .this they did and it culminated into the book called ndiowa and her monarchs.
this was sold last year and it is still on sale .
this was the results of the findings -
1. that adagba was the first person that led people into owa in ofien .
2. that odogun founded owa kingdom and became the first obi or king of owa.
3. that odogun came with his brothers from ute okpu .
4. that odogun as some elders say came from nri ,while some elders are of the opinion that he came from benin.
5. that owa has a dual mode of migration -both from benin and nri in anambra.
6. that by evidence and research carried out the benin elements in owa kingdom and history is older than the nri elements or story .
7. that because of the dual mode of migration or history that owa tradition and culture is influenced by both bini and nri igbo culture.
8. that owa language is a mix of both igbo and bini , as evident in some owa words following igbo language ,while others follow benin language.
8. that owa kingdom is a bonafied member and infact a key member of ika ethnic nationality in edo and delta state.

i am ika and i am proud of it, if a product is good then people will identify with it , but a bad product is always making noise and begging people to buy it. coca-cola always has people who want to identify with it ,so those trying to market a very bad and obsolete product should beware .the majority of ikas will not buy a bad and useless product .and all these paper nationalist trying to market a bad product to ika people should first proceed to ika land and sell it to our kings ,and chiefs and nobles .i will also advice them to work on their people who sell their group because of money and position and to ask their politicians to work for their people instead of trying to put others in their sinking ship.nigeria is marching towards 2011, they should tell their people to speak and fight for their right,instead of always selling themselves to the highest bidder.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 6:15pm On Nov 03, 2010
For all those who like picture illustrations, The Obi of Owa:

[center][/center]
[size=18pt]Sorry wrong picture, here's the Obi of Owa:[/size]

[center][/center]

Yeah. . . . . . .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 6:45pm On Nov 03, 2010
@agbotaen.You just wasted your time proving nothing.The word Igbo was not used in identifying all the people until the 19th century just like Yoruba.Many Igbo towns inside the Southeast also have history of Benin,Ijaw,Ishan,Ibibio,Ekoi,Ejagham,Idoma and Igala.The blend of Nri is the Igbo there.Ika is more Nri than many Igbos in SE.The language is the determinant factor for Igbo definition.Ika could not be proven to be a separate language from Igbo and is not regarded as being related to Edo other than borrowing of some words.This trend occurs in all the fringes of Igboland and is not perculiar to Ika.The truth is that Igbos never saw themselves as one until colonialism set in and they realised the need to unite.The Igbo union was formed to see to that and Ika was in Igbo union.Igbo union ended with Biafran war and the word Igbo was redefined by FG in order to weaken us.You are a victim of that propaganda because you seem to believe that your fellow Igbos are trying to force you and you also seem to try and lean towards Benin,who openly address Ika as pure Igbo.Ovwigbo which refers to Ika,Aniocha,Ukwuani and Southeast.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by chyz1: 8:08pm On Nov 03, 2010
Information about the label "Ika":

Although earlier colonial documents have referred to the present Ika people as Ika speaking people (Marshall 1936, Whiting 1936, Simpson 1936, Denton 1937, and Stanfield 1936), the present Ika people have not always been the only group known by the name, Ika. Forde and Jones (1967) used the term Ika for a wider community, which included the present Ika group. Ika was used by Forde and Jones (1967) to represent the inland parts of the four groups that make up the western Igbo group (Aniocha, Oshimili, Ika and Ukwuani) found in present Delta State away from the shores of the river Niger. The remaining members of these groups that are on the shores of the river Niger i.e. Asaba, Aboh and others were referred to as Riverain Ibo (Forde and Jones 1967: 49-50). Within this Ika group the present Ika community was classified as Northern Ika along with Aniocha and Oshimili while the Ukwuani group was classified as Southern Ika (Forde and Jones 1967). However the origin and meaning of the name Ika and when only the present Ika community and their language began to be known and referred to by that name, which they retain until today

As has been stated above, there are eleven clans and a metropolis that make up the Ika collective group, which I refer to as the Ika community. Except for the Idumuesah clan the rest ten are today also referred to as kingdoms as they have the hereditary kingship traditional system. The kings are known and referred to by the title of Obi (king), however the king of Agbor clan has changed his title from Obi to Dien for reasons not clear to me at this time. The following are the eleven clans and a metropolis that make up the Ika community: Agbor clan, Owa clan, Abavo clan, Ute-Okpu clan, Ute-Ogbeje clan, Umunede clan, Akumazi clan, Igbodo clan, Otolokpo clan, Mbiri clan, Idumuesah clan, Orogodo/Boji-Boji.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 9:59pm On Nov 03, 2010
chyz1:

Information about the label "Ika":

Although earlier colonial documents have referred to the present Ika people as Ika speaking people (Marshall 1936, Whiting 1936, Simpson 1936, Denton 1937, and Stanfield 1936), the present Ika people have not always been the only group known by the name, Ika. Forde and Jones (1967) used the term Ika for a wider community, which included the present Ika group. Ika was used by Forde and Jones (1967) to represent the inland parts of the four groups that make up the western Igbo group (Aniocha, Oshimili, Ika and Ukwuani) found in present Delta State away from the shores of the river Niger. The remaining members of these groups that are on the shores of the river Niger i.e. Asaba, Aboh and others were referred to as Riverain Ibo (Forde and Jones 1967: 49-50). Within this Ika group the present Ika community was classified as Northern Ika along with Aniocha and Oshimili while the Ukwuani group was classified as Southern Ika (Forde and Jones 1967). However the origin and meaning of the name Ika and when only the present Ika community and their language began to be known and referred to by that name, which they retain until today

As has been stated above, there are eleven clans and a metropolis that make up the Ika collective group, which I refer to as the Ika community. Except for the Idumuesah clan the rest ten are today also referred to as kingdoms as they have the hereditary kingship traditional system. The kings are known and referred to by the title of Obi (king), however the king of Agbor clan has changed his title from Obi to Dien for reasons not clear to me at this time. The following are the eleven clans and a metropolis that make up the Ika community: Agbor clan, Owa clan, Abavo clan, Ute-Okpu clan, Ute-Ogbeje clan, Umunede clan, Akumazi clan, Igbodo clan, Otolokpo clan,  Mbiri clan, Idumuesah clan, Orogodo/Boji-Boji.

The king of Agbor has always been the Dein. Note oh! No one should say Ika does not exist!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 9:05pm On Nov 04, 2010
Londinium was established as a civilian town by the Romans about seven years after the invasion of AD 43. Early Roman London occupied a relatively small area, roughly equivalent to the size of Hyde Park. In around AD 60, it was destroyed by the Iceni led by their queen Boudica. However, the city was quickly rebuilt as a planned Roman town and recovered after perhaps 10 years, the city growing rapidly over the following decades. During the 2nd century Londinium was at its height and replaced Colchester as the capital of Roman Britain (Britannia). Its population was around 60,000 inhabitants. It boasted major public buildings, including the largest basilica north of the Alps, temples, bath houses, an amphitheatre and a large fort for the city garrison. Political instability and recession from the 3rd century onwards, however, led to a slow decline.
At some time between 190 and 225 AD the Romans built the defensive London Wall - around the landward side of the city. The wall was about 3 kilometres (2 miles) long, 6 metres (20 ft) high, and 2.5 metres (8 ft) thick.
In the late 3rd century, Londinium was raided on several occasions by Saxon pirates.[citation needed] This led, from around 255 onwards, to the construction of an additional riverside wall. The wall would survive for another 1,600 years and define London's perimeters for centuries to come. Six of the traditional seven city gates of London are of Roman origin, namely: Ludgate, Newgate, Aldersgate, Cripplegate, Bishopsgate and Aldgate (Moorgate is the exception, being of medieval origin).
By the 5th century the Roman Empire was in rapid decline, and in 410 AD the Roman occupation of Britain came to an end. Following this, the Roman city also went into rapid decline and by the end of the century was practically abandoned
London (Londinium) being founded by the Romans has not made the Londoners non English. Londoners are proud English people, hence some towns in IkaIgbo areas being founded by men from Bini will not take away the Igboness of those towns. In the same vein, Lagos being founded by Binis has not made Lagosians Binis. Today, Ikaland and Igbanke are part and parcel of Igboland.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 9:13pm On Nov 04, 2010
Coins highlighting the Roman heritage of London. Yet, it will be insane for Londoners to claim non English but Romans. Bini, well agreed had influence over the aristocracy of Ika kingdoms but that is a defeatist one when it comes to the identity of IkaIgbo.

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 12:06pm On Nov 06, 2010
Ika,Ukwani,ndokwa,ikwerre,etche.What is wrong with these set of people, somebody should tell these folks that it is 2010 and not 1970.What is wrong wit this agbotaen.Is he not tired of copying and pasting rubbish all the time,ika thread in nairaland is boring to read because he keeps copying himself verbatim.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 7:58pm On Nov 15, 2010
i want to use this medium in congratulating prince sam obi , the former speaker of delta state house of assembly and the new acting gov.of delta state ,who is from ute-okpu kingdom in ika north east,and a firm believer in the ika ethnic nationality. ikas have been making great strides in delta state without making so much noise or constantly crying about marginalization or always thinking of an imaginary war between them and us.prince obi delivered a speech at the last ogua ika held in ute ogbeje , about a month plus ago and he called on ikas to unite and take their destiny in their hands.
i still urge all ikas to remain steadfast and committed to the upliftment of the ika ethnic nationalities and to remember the sterling qualities of our fore fathers and their bravery in confronting the large benin empire and succeeding in creating many wordy kingdoms and their resistance to the tyraNY of the british during colonial era.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:38pm On Nov 15, 2010
those who want to find out about owa culture are advised to visit www.ndiowa.com and then we will discuss
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by abagoro(m): 9:03pm On Nov 15, 2010
Congrats to Anioma people.Congrats to the Enuani subgroup.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Omenani(m): 1:25am On Nov 16, 2010
This is a very interesting thread. I am learning a lot about the Western Igbo clans.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 11:05am On Nov 16, 2010
How can this agbotaen give the glory of what ndi igbo in delta state had fought for to his imaginary ika ethnic nationality,where is omonuan?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 11:40pm On Nov 16, 2010
agbotaen:

i want to use this medium in congratulating prince sam obi , the former speaker of delta state house of assembly and the new acting gov.of delta state ,who is from ute-okpu kingdom in ika north east,and a firm believer in the ika ethnic nationality. ikas have been making great strides in delta state without making so much noise or constantly crying about marginalization or always thinking of an imaginary war between them and us.prince obi delivered a speech at the last ogua ika held in ute ogbeje , about a month plus ago and he called on ikas to unite and take their destiny in their hands.
i still urge all ikas to remain steadfast and committed to the upliftment of the ika ethnic nationalities and to remember the sterling qualities of our fore fathers and their bravery in confronting the large benin empire and succeeding in creating many wordy kingdoms and their resistance to the tyraNY of the british during colonial era.
Not Hurray time yet for Ndigbo in Delta state. Sam Obi is only on acting capacity role.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 4:38pm On Nov 20, 2010
the obi of owa has his official regalia and owa chiefs too have their official regalia ,very soon i will publish pictures of the obi and some owa chiefs in their regalia ,to put an end to people sending things that are not true , an obi can dress in any attire he like depending on how he feels and where he is going to , i have pictures of the obi of owa dressed in agbada like a yoruba ,and even wear cloths like the fulani , but however the obi and chief of owa have their regalia on special ancient owa ceremonies and day to day wear . i will later send such pictures .
having said this i reiterate again that owa kingdom is a heterogenous community with people migrating from so many places like benin,ishan, ora, ndokwa,other ika areas and from igbo land .this is not in doubt as our various villages have their histories intact and these people have fussed to become owa kingdom and later as ika people.
LET ME LIST CHIEFTHANCY TITLES IN OWA ,AND LETS Those who do not know learn and stop spreading half truths about a kingdom ,they know little about.
1. oshodi
2.ekpe
3.obaseki
4.obayangbon
5. osagwe
6.obadagboyin
7 .ezenugede
8.ojenebo
9.arase
10. oloagirin
11.otomi
12. ihaza
13.obaruyi
14.esama
15.obawuyi
16.igboje
17.isa
18.ikpehuenojie
19.ojeto
20. eriesenye
21obazuwa
22. ayobahan
23. ologboshere
24, iyase
25,ajeh
26.otaloagbon
27.ihama
28.igbekojie
29.elema
30.odion
31 ojegbemudu
32 .oza
33. ojisi
34. ohan
35. oweh
36.uwangue
37.ojeami
38.okansien
39.nobore
40.elewu
41 ozomor
42. ogifurueze
43.agbasogun
44. orokonogbe
45. obi ewiwiniali
46. obiweneze
47.odabameze
48. orikeze
49. akpara.
50. isekhure
51.olotor .

there are still many more titles that , i did not list , from the above ,it will be seen that owa kingdom owes a lot to benin,as most owa titles ,especially ancient ones are of benin origin , while some are of igbo origins, but are very few .the most important titles in the herachy are of benin origin.such as ihaza, ihama,iyase,ezomor,esama ,ologboshere e.t.c.
for those who want to still have a clearer picture of owa kingdom and her history should visit the official website of owa kingdom called www.ndiowa.com

owa operates three tyier of chiefthancy such as 1. town chief or ogbe chiefs, palace chiefs or ogua chiefs and hereditory chiefs who cannot be removed by the obi ,these titles are from father to son, and it has nothing to do with how wealthy a person is .you have to come from that lineage to become a chief and it has to pass from father to eldest son.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 4:44pm On Nov 20, 2010
what glory did ndigbo fight for in delta state ? ikas have been working their way to the top with less noise , let ndigbo battle their many problems in their south east area and leave ikas alone .ikas say they are ika and that has not stopped them from progressing in delta state.delta state is a complicated state and if you are not from delta , you cannot know in totality the politics therein. although the state is heterogenous ,but there is still a common thread that ties the various ethnic groups together.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 4:58pm On Nov 20, 2010
for the fact that an ika person will be acting governor of delta state for the next three months is something to be proud and glad of . prince sam obi was previously the speaker of deltha house of assembly ,that means he was holding a very powerful position in the state before .delta is a state with many ethnic groups , the isokos have not been governor before, ijaws have not been , okpes have not been, and tis is the first time an itsekiri is governor of the state that is in the person of uduaghan that was recently removed , and delta state is a new state .it is only the uhrobos that have been gov -under ibori and under ibru who ruled for less than a year before. the ika , aniocha, oshimilis and ndokwa too have not been gov.untill this recent acting gov.of ika origin. there is no obvious war between delta people , so other non-deltans should not laways create an imaginary war that does no exist.we know that in a multi ethnic state like delta , there is always struggles to dominate one another.it even exists in communities that are in anioma as all the four major group that formed anioma are still mindfull of their different origins , so they still struggles to outwith each other some times , it is expected as competition makes a community to grow .but our competitions should not become that of hatred.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 10:36pm On Nov 20, 2010
agbotaen:

the obi of owa has his official regalia and owa chiefs too have their official regalia ,very soon i will publish pictures of the obi and some owa chiefs in their regalia ,to put an end to people sending things that are not true , an obi can dress in any attire he like depending on how he feels and where he is going to , i have pictures of the obi of owa dressed in agbada like a yoruba ,and even wear cloths like the fulani , but however the obi and chief of owa have their regalia on special ancient owa ceremonies and day to day wear . i will later send such pictures .
having said this i reiterate again that owa kingdom is a heterogenous community with people migrating from so many places like benin,ishan, ora, ndokwa,other ika areas and from igbo land .this is not in doubt as our various villages have their histories intact and these people have fussed to become owa kingdom and later as ika people.
LET ME LIST CHIEFTHANCY TITLES IN OWA ,AND LETS Those who do not know learn and stop spreading half truths about a kingdom ,they know little about.
1. oshodi
2.ekpe
3.obaseki
4.obayangbon
5. osagwe
6.obadagboyin
7 .ezenugede
8.ojenebo
9.arase
10. oloagirin
11.otomi
12. ihaza
13.obaruyi
14.esama
15.obawuyi
16.igboje
17.isa
18.ikpehuenojie
19.ojeto
20. eriesenye
21obazuwa
22. ayobahan
23. ologboshere
24, iyase
25,ajeh
26.otaloagbon
27.ihama
28.igbekojie
29.elema
30.odion
31 ojegbemudu
32 .oza
33. ojisi
34. ohan
35. oweh
36.uwangue
37.ojeami
38.okansien
39.nobore
40.elewu
41 ozomor
42. ogifurueze
43.agbasogun
44. orokonogbe
45. obi ewiwiniali
46. obiweneze
47.odabameze
48. orikeze
49. akpara.
50. isekhure
51.olotor .

there are still many more titles that , i did not list , from the above ,it will be seen that owa kingdom owes a lot to benin,as most owa titles ,especially ancient ones are of benin origin , while some are of igbo origins, but are very few .the most important titles in the herachy are of benin origin.such as ihaza, ihama,iyase,ezomor,esama ,ologboshere e.t.c.
for those who want to still have a clearer picture of owa kingdom and her history should visit the official website of owa kingdom called www.ndiowa.com

owa operates three tyier of chiefthancy such as 1. town chief or ogbe chiefs, palace chiefs or ogua chiefs and hereditory chiefs who cannot be removed by the obi ,these titles are from father to son, and it has nothing to do with how wealthy a person is .you have to come from that lineage to become a chief and it has to pass from father to eldest son.

The above post is mind crippling and irrelevant. This thread is not about traditional titles in Owa. Why not create a new thread for this for Owa or traditional titles in Owa?. I even wonder which Igboland Eze/Obi/Igwe that will go about handing titles upon titles to all the palm wine-tapers, rabbit hunters, mat makers etc in his kingdom. Grow up boy, this is 2010.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 10:40pm On Nov 20, 2010
agbotaen:

for the fact that an ika person will be acting governor of delta state for the next three months is something to be proud and glad of . prince sam obi was previously the speaker of deltha house of assembly ,that means he was holding a very powerful position in the state before .delta is a state with many ethnic groups , the isokos have not been governor before, ijaws have not been , okpes have not been, and tis is the first time an itsekiri is governor of the state that is in the person of uduaghan that was recently removed , and delta state is a new state .it is only the uhrobos that have been gov -under ibori and under ibru who ruled for less than a year before. the ika , aniocha, oshimilis and ndokwa too have not been gov.untill this recent acting gov.of ika origin. there is no obvious war between delta people , so other non-deltans should not laways create an imaginary war that does no exist.we know that in a multi ethnic state like delta , there is always struggles to dominate one another.it even exists in communities that are in anioma as all the four major group that formed anioma are still mindfull of their different origins , so they still struggles to outwith each other some times , it is expected as competition makes a community to grow .but our competitions should not become that of hatred.
Another moronic post yet again. This thread is not only for Delta people and hence non Deltans are free to contribute. You are not educating anyone here because all the above crap you wrote here is known by all and sundry. For once, apply wisdom.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 10:45pm On Nov 20, 2010
~~~
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 11:20pm On Nov 20, 2010
agbotaen has refused to admit the fact that Owa was founded by an Nri man.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.