Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule (718 Views)

Presidency To Begin Town Hall Meetings Across Nigeria – Aide / PDP Officially Zones Presidency To North / More Money For Food At Aso Rock - Presidency To Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by OAM4J: 5:19am On Jun 08, 2010

[size=14pt]We Will Deliver NIPP on Schedule[/size]

FG: We Will Deliver NIPP on Schedule
From Ike Abonyi in Abuja, 06.08.2010

The Presidency has assured Nigerians that the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) which is critical to the generation of power would be delivered on schedule.
Vice-President Namadi Sambo who spoke on the issue yesterday said although there are other sources that would contribute to steady power supply, the government is determined to make the NIPP work.
He stated the government's mind in a chat with State House Correspondents in Abuja yesterday.
"We are not going to bandy figures at this level but what we are saying is that we will deliver NIPP on schedule as already agreed and which I am sure all of you know," the veepee said.

"We cannot also say if the contribution will be in percentage time because we know also that it is not only NIPP that is going to bring in power, there are also other sources which will bring in power but the NIPP will deliver power on its own part" he added.
Sambo who chaired his first meeting of the presidential committee on NIPP at the Presidential Villa on Monday, had earlier informed stakeholders that the administration would not relent on its determination to solve the country's power problem.
The "NIPP programme has a schedule that I am sure you are aware of, the projects are not coming all coming up at the same time. I think the programme has been issued earlier and what we are saying is that we are satisfied with the progress. We believe that the project will be deliver on schedule," said Sambo.
The vice-president summoned contractors and others involved in the NIPP project to secure their commitment to achieving the target date for completion.

Briefing newsmen after the meeting, Minister of State for Power Nuhu Wya said the experience of the vice-president who had been a member of the committee as governor of Kaduna State came handy at the parley.
The power minister who declined to give the current electricity generation level in the country stated that "we are managing the challenges in a better manner, so we are bound to have better results now. It is an ongoing process."
Ekiti State Governor Segun Oni told reporters after the meeting that the entire NIPP scheme including gas supply, security of installations and contractors as well as compensation to affected communities was reviewed.

Oni also confirmed the administration’s plan to decentralize electricity generation so that each plant will deliver electricity to its immediate locality, in order to avoid waste and extra cost of linking to the national distribution system.
The decentralization policy is expected to reduce a situation whereby large parts of the country experience blackouts whenever a single power plant suffers breakdown.
Source
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by OAM4J: 5:21am On Jun 08, 2010
If Uncle Joe can at least achieve this.

Does anyone have the schedule or a link to the schedule? It's good to know the expected dates.
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by OAM4J: 6:06am On Jun 08, 2010

[size=14pt]Jonathan Orders Power Sector Reforms Fast-tracked[/size]

• PHCN’s power generation hits 3,760mw • UAE firm plans 230mw power station
From Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja, 06.07.2010

Ministry of Power yesterday said President Goodluck Jonathan, has directed it  to commence full implementation of the  Power sector Reform  Act  in order to create room for private sector participation and efficient service delivery to Nigerians.
The president's charge came just as the average national power generation by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) hovered at 3,760 megawatts (Mw) with an off-peak of 3,250mw as at last Friday,

THISDAY checks gathered that Shell Afam is yet to come up fully, contributing 345mw against expected 650mw. Some units in Kainji and Shiroro hydro power stations are down thereby drawing down on available generation capacity.
Minister of State for Power, Nuhu Somo Wya in a statement signed by his Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Yakubu Lawal yesterday, said the President has given the ministry a fresh  mandate to fast-track the reform process and  break all barriers that would prevent private sector players coming to invest in the sector.

The statement quoted the minister as having said at the weekend while receiving a group of foreign investors from the United Arab Emirates (UAE),  who made presentation on their planned participation in the sector,  said the mandate is to the effect that the Electric Power  Sector Reform (EPSR) Act of 2005 be fully implemented.  "President has given  mandate to commence the reform process and  break all barriers that would prevent private sector players coming to invest in the sector".

“I have clear  mandate of Mr. President   to break all bottlenecks  to private investor’s participation in the power sector .We are ready to encourage you and we will create the enabling environment for you to actively invest in the sector. Our doors are open to all genuine investors ”he said.
Wya explained that  that based on the President's directives, the Ministry will be commencing full reform of the sector in order to encourage the inflow of the much needed investment for the sector.

The partial implementation of this Act before now had  led to the establishment of Nigerian Electricity Regulatory  Commission (NERC) and unbundling of Power Holding Company of Nigeria(PHCN) into 18 successor companies as follows,Generation-6,Transmission-1 and Distribution-11 respectively

According to Wya, it has become obvious  that government alone cannot provide the required  investment that would drive the sector for the benefit of all Nigerians,  adding that  government is open to anybody who has the resources and ready to invest in the sector to come on board.
Wya explained that though most of the power stations in the country are thermal or gas  fired based,  Nigeria still needs more   thermal or gas powered plants  adding that  investors  could easily diversify into other alternative  power generation  opportunities that exist in the country.

The minister directed the officials of the visiting firm-Energy Trading Group FZC of UAE to meet with the relevant agencies within the Power sector for proper guidelines for investing in the sector urging them to also look at the model on  Power Purchase Agreement(PPA) developed by NERC with a view to help them design a  sound business plan that will conform with the practice in Nigeria.

He also asked them to meet with NERC officials with a  view to obtaining the guidelines for licensing companies that want to operate or do business in the sector noting that relevant committees within the Ministry  of Power  directly concern  with issues on Independent Power Projects (IPP) would  also be able to help them fast tract their investment plans in line with the existing guidelines.

The Director of Business Development of ETG, Mr.Mike McCafferty,  in his Presentation, said ETG Power is seeking to establish an Independent Power Project with a frame 9 Power plant in simple cycle operation as phase 1 of the project to be delivered within 12 months to commercial operations.

He explained that that  phase 2  of the project will incorporate combine cycle operation and  that the  commissioning of phase II  can be delivered within   twelve months after commercial operation of phase I, which he said could give 230Megawatts(MW) of electricity to Nigerians.
He said the company has over 33 years of working experience in both Power  as well as  oil and gas industry across major continent of the world.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=175142
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by chidichris(m): 8:21am On Jun 08, 2010
i asked this question sometime ago and no one answered till now. i want to ask the same simple and short question again; WHEN?

because no one is answering this question, i want to believe that this promise is going to be the key in the forth-coming election campeign.
there is also the possibility of using it for the second term as well as the third term.

God pls have mercy on us.
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by Crownvilla(m): 1:35pm On Jun 08, 2010
@chidichris

You have hit the nail on the head! Imagine the VP stating that the project would be delivered on schedule, but fails to state what the schedule is?

The last promise was 6,000 MW by December 2009; and we all know what happened to that pipe dream. Goodluck apologised to the nation for the failure to attain the 6,000 MW but refused to declare when the target would be achieved.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a strong feeling that by January 2011 we will still be fantasising over the elusive 6,000 MW.
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Jun 08, 2010
Where is the schedule?
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by OAM4J: 2:45pm On Jun 08, 2010
^^^The answer to that question worths $1,000,000,000

It is a top secret, only Jonathan and his cabal know grin grin grin

Kobo, I know you dont like the title 'cabal' grin
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Jun 08, 2010
OAM4J:

^^^The answer to that question worths $1,000,000,000
It is a top secret, only Jonathan and his cabal know grin grin grin
Kobo, I know you dont like the title 'cabal' grin

Lol . . . .na wa ooo!!!

I don't mind the word itself but you know how sentimental and emotional Nigerians get when it comes to politics. The minute one side uses such words, the average Nigerian immediately believes that there is actually a group out there they should hate, when in fact, it is most often the case that those brandishing the claim are the problem. Take for instance the many mentions of that word earlier this year by some of our politicians. Many Nigerians immediately concluded that there was actually some underground gang there in aso rock plotting to make sure the president remains in office, and they continue to share money. We NEVER got the names of the members of the so-called cabal from the "INNOCENT" politicians who claimed they existed. Worse, they saddled us with exactly that which they claimed the CABAL were trying to do to us. But again, many people REFUSED to see it.
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jun 08, 2010
if we will not remeber her political career for anything else, we will remebr dora for introducing the word cabal to the nigerian lexicon
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On Jun 08, 2010
oyb:

if we will not remeber her political career for anything else, we will remebr dora for introducing the word cabal to the nigerian lexicon

I think what pissed me off the most was how people, after all the protesting and raising of our hopes, immediately rushed to make an angel out of her for using that word. It was ABSURD. I don't think she is to blame though, because it was all too clear what she mean,t and wanted, but people, as usual were too caught up in playing the US vs THEM politics and so made an Angel of her for doing exactly what the other side suggested. That's not to say she did not then milk that sentiment for as long as had to, to get her back in the game.
Re: Presidency To Deliver Power On Schedule by rookie(m): 4:50pm On Jun 08, 2010
I'm curious to see if Jonathan can/will live up to this. Any tangible progress/success in this regard would go a long way in his election.

(1) (Reply)

Sacred Cows Stay Sacred: We Won't Revisit $180m Halliburton Bribery Case - Efcc / Xenophobic Attacks After The World Cup? / Omo "ogun" Read And Think

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.