Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,943 members, 7,821,300 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? (16016 Views)

Poll: Is It?

Yes: 25% (15 votes)
No: 74% (43 votes)
This poll has ended

PHOTOS: Why Lagos Is The Craziest City In World / A City In Nigeria With 24/7 Electricity Supply! / Best City In Nigeria To Live In? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by akpan1: 7:18am On Jun 10, 2010
smileyph is quiet expensive but thats relatively because abuja is more expensive especially in terms of accomodation.
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by sherloklewis: 8:47am On Jun 10, 2010
Lagos is still the commercial capital of Nigeria. For people looking for properties in Lagos, Nigeria, to buy, and are not sure what current property prices are in Lagos, you can start your research by clicking on the link above. This will give you a list of properties for sale in all areas of Lagos and in all price range currently being advertised by Nigerian estate agents and property developers. The link above is an ideal start for people looking to invest in the Nigerian property market. Catering for the corporate as well as conference markets, the hotel offers state-of-the-art facilities, including a Business Centre. Excellent dining facilities are offered in the restaurant, while leisure amenities include a pool and fully-equipped gym. Shops, a golf club, night life and the polo club are all within easy driving distance. The presence of oil companies has made Port Harcourt be one of the most expensive cities in Nigeria, although not everyone shares the wealth. This fact has led to an increasing corruption at all levels and a fight for survival. There is not infrastructure to create employment, so you will find lots of beggars and sellers in the street. This will be one of the things that it will first strike you when you arrive.
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by slick1(m): 7:37pm On Jun 10, 2010
i hear port haccourt is the most expensive city but i pray it changes soon cos i'm about to hit that city
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 9:23pm On Jun 11, 2010
Abuja can't be the most expensive city in Nigeria because you get what you pay for. But here in Lagos they show you a shit hole in the name of accomodation and start quoting price.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by pannyman(m): 12:31pm On Jun 12, 2010
I have lived PHC for ten years and I can say it's not a good idea to come here for the first time with the mindset that it's an expensive city. A lot of poor people live here and they are coping just fine. If you know how to live within your means are not concerned about competig with your friends, then you will be just fine. You can find a good 2-bedroom flat for 250k. Tra sportation fares are not exorbitant except during fuel shortages. I think transport is cheaper here than in Lagos because distances are so long in lagos and you need to take several hops to get to your destination which is one reason why I dread Lagos whenever I go there. However I think food and clothes are a bit cheaper in Lagos unless you wanna go high brow. All in all, as somebody who has travelled around a bit, I think Abuja takes tne cake for Nigeria's most expensive city followed by Lagos before PHC
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by lexluthor2(m): 8:55pm On Jun 12, 2010
maimalari:

it's only at phc that you see a pant trouser for N700k.visit the boutique at genesis centre to see for urself.the least stuff there is boxers and it goes for as much as 13k.
look na only militants and politicians or dem galfriends go to the boutique there to shop,i know this cos my friend works there.do you know how much boutiques sell cloths in lag?off the scale.even small ashewo light boutique wan cut ur neck.most peeps just go to window shop.it relatively new so new thing dey shak.an average phc guy or gal would not even go and shop @ collectibles except some1 else was paying for it.they have a lot of places they buy stuff real cheap.ph folks like any thing new and want to feel they are a part of it,but give the place a few months or years they all runoff.i pray the boutique at genesis hang on in there sha cos my buddie is the partner an i wish him all the best.ph folks are good modest peeps.no faking all up in the air.
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by VANENON(f): 9:47am On Jun 15, 2010
The cost of rent in Lagos makes it the most expensive city in Naija. Yes you can get other items at reasonable prices if you can go through the trouble of going to the right places, but sometimes the thought of the traffic and the pickpockets hassles will make you have a major rethink on that idea.

Its only in lagos house rent are charged in dollars ( Ikoyi, Victoria Island). Last Month i called some estate agents for cost of 2 bedroom flat in Magod GRA and the range was from 1.3 to 1.5m, am to pay for 2 years then i will also pay agency fee. In some other places in Lagos you can actually get 2 and 3 bedroom houses of 600k to 800k , but safety for me is important and i have been in magodo and have enjoyed reasonable peace so i dont want to leave the area.

My rent expires end of this year, i stay in a sorry 2 bedroom where everything seems to be falling apart. Its supposed to be a new building, yet even my roof has issues. I paid 1.520m to the landlord 2 years ago. He collected rent, agency and 100k as guaranty which seems to be the norm in Lagos. Abeg they are robbers when it comes to rent in Lagos. I pray everyday for my office to transfer me to Abuja and for my own house.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 10:31pm On Jul 14, 2010
Port Harcourt PHC Porty

Never seen proper pictures of this city apart from construction work, sometimes i wonder if its even a 'residential' city self more like oil worker city and student town

Does anyone wanna share pictures like lagosians do

Apparently there's a Silverbird Cinema

Where do people go to relax?

Picturezzzzzz
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by dwheels76: 8:15am On Apr 18, 2011
Okay I just moved here to Port Harcourt Got married to my Nigerian husband (I am an american) and I am truly trying to get this apartment market.

Don't laugh but I have gathered that rent is paid all upfront whether it be 1 year 1 and half or 2 years. There is no month to month rent pay like in the US correct?

Also I hear there is mass problems with fake agents and leases so how do you know you and 3 other people didn't rent the same place.

We are looking for a modest 1 bedroom in a safe area in Port Harcourt if there is such a thing. I pray with maybe power 1/2 the time and well clean if thats not too much. Was really surprised how slummy PH looks and feels. Very disappointed.

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by AbaGhost: 8:20am On Apr 18, 2011
i would remove your name if i were you
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by dwheels76: 8:42am On Apr 18, 2011
Its cool its not my real name dear. But thanks for the heads up.
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 9:15am On Apr 19, 2011
best option will be to approach someone that lives there or someone that has recently moved there, there must be a reason your husband chose phc, he should be familiar with the property scene, if he moved because of a company then its best to approach the company or its staff

you can also browse through the properties section-though most discussion is about lagos

whatever you do, inspect, inspect inspect  over a period of  weeks and get a lawyer involved if possible rent direct
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by chylind5: 12:23pm On Jul 13, 2011
There is plenty money in Ph and thats why its very expensive. Enugu is not in anyway expensive. I live in PH but am from Enugu. I go to Enugu to spend my cash.
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by yomisplendour: 5:36am On May 13, 2012
@pannyman- which area of phc can u find an affordable rent that goes for 250k for a two bedroom flat like u quoted- cos i've heard a whole lot abt dat place and its outrageous standard of living- even got a job there dat i ended up rejecting cos i didn't want a situation where all my salary wld be spent on feeding and accomodation alone with nuttin to save at the end of the day- haven't bin there before but the stories abt dat place is scary.
Re: Port Harcourt The Most Expensive City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 16, 2015
pannyman:
I have lived PHC for ten years and I can say it's not a good idea to come here for the first time with the mindset that it's an expensive city. A lot of poor people live here and they are coping just fine. If you know how to live within your means are not concerned about competig with your friends, then you will be just fine. You can find a good 2-bedroom flat for 250k. Tra sportation fares are not exorbitant except during fuel shortages. I think transport is cheaper here than in Lagos because distances are so long in lagos and you need to take several hops to get to your destination which is one reason why I dread Lagos whenever I go there. However I think food and clothes are a bit cheaper in Lagos unless you wanna go high brow. All in all, as somebody who has travelled around a bit, I think Abuja takes tne cake for Nigeria's most expensive city followed by Lagos before PHC
. Hi dear,pls am planing to come over to ph to start life as I just finish my Nysc service,no job yet,so am planing to come to ph to open up a clothing shop,but I hav not being to ph before,and I don't know any body that can lead and direct me.I need some one that will be my friend,who reside and know ph well.contact me bro if u care to be of help to me. Whatsapp me. +2348139063701. Am chuks by name....thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Monday Morning Inspiration From The Humans Of Lagos / Igbo Man Arrives Swaziland Few Hours After Swazi King's Five Wives Incentives (P / Usa Student Visa Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.