Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,683 members, 7,809,584 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' (3776 Views)

Ribadu/iweala For 2019/2023 / Nigeria Will Be Africa's First Global Superpower - Report / Nigeria ’ll Collapse 2013 - Massob - Says Biafra, Oduduwa, Arewa ’ll Emerge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by ADint(m): 9:07am On Jun 09, 2010
"A British foremost financial institution, Standard Chartered Plc, has joined other international organisations that have predicted that Nigeria will become Africa’s biggest economy by 2023.

According to the Regional Head of Research for Africa, Standard Chartered Bank, Razia Khan, “assuming South Africa grows by four per cent and Nigeria by seven  per cent, Nigeria will become the larger economy in 2023.”

According to her, Nigeria has a population of more than 150 million, three times as many as South Africa.

Moreover, about 42 per cent of that population is under the age of 14, compared with 31 per cent in South Africa. She stressed that the size of Nigeria’s domestic market, its oil and gas reserves and sales of bank stakes had been attracting investors, including banks such as Standard Chartered and Africa’s largest, Standard Bank Group Ltd, to the country."

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/6569-nigeria-ll-be-africas-biggest-economy-by-2023

'No wonder' they don't seem too excited about giving Nigerians visas to go and watch the world cup grin.
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by tkb417(m): 9:12am On Jun 09, 2010
is Standard Chartered Bank a british financial institution?

and ADint, a lot of Nigerians are going to South for this World cup. I mean a lot
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by ADint(m): 9:35am On Jun 09, 2010
@tkb417

I know, I was refering to a thread on the SA refusing Nigerians visa.

Standard Chartered Bank is a British financial institution, 'Standard Bank' though is South African (they have some past history together but are now operating seperately).
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by tkb417(m): 9:43am On Jun 09, 2010
ADint:

^^^ I know, I was refering to a thread on the SA refusing Nigerians visa.

Standard Chartered Bank is a British financial institution, 'Standard Bank' though is South African (they have some past history together but are now operating seperately).
Seen!!!
i dont know why ive always tot they were south african ish. I think i got it mixed with standard bank

i actually have stuffs going with the energy desk in UK and its a shame i didnt know that bit

shame on me grin grin grin
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jun 09, 2010
What are we supposed to do with this information?
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by canuck(m): 4:59pm On Jun 09, 2010
^^^^ I wonder o, Gen Buhari cheesy

Until the private economy of the average Nigerian is positively impacted, this "biggest economy" in Africa thingy is hogwash.
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by edoyad(m): 5:36pm On Jun 09, 2010
2023, are we supposed to be happy about that ? I'll be old by then and probably will be asleep when people are clubbing by then. Besides all the girls i'm supposed to be frolicking with would be grand mothers and using walking sticks too by then.
2023 indeed angry
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by montelik(m): 6:06pm On Jun 09, 2010
Someone also said we will have steady power supply by 2010. Anyone remember vision 2010. When it comes to predicting the future with Nigeria, its risky business.
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by xterra2(m): 6:11pm On Jun 09, 2010
This may be incorrect, Unless South Africa would make it into thr G-20 with the vision 2020-20 we shall hopefully be among the 20 top economies and if south africa is not in the G-20 then by 2020 we would have being the biggest economy in Afica already so minus 3 yerars from the 2023 prediction.
From an earlier thread,we were said to be 33rd largest just 13 to be in the G-20 this without electricity,security,education,infrastructure,industries,companies e.t.c If a magic wand is waved and we get power at least 28 hours per day or more in the 36 states + FCT of course,we would be higher and the 7% growth prediction would increase as more megawatts we get because with steady light, more industies,companies,more jobs,more investmenst Foreign investment too,reduction in price of goods and services (because indutries and companies use generators with light they would never bother to buy fuel their gen and thus reduce the price of their commodities -xcept they are selfish)and it would improve the economy as nigerians would have higher purchasing power as the money we use to buy generator and fuel it would be in our pockets and such we would get richer and provide more money for buying and if people buy a lot the companies or industries would as a matter of fact increase the amount of goods and services produced and if they would want to increase their production they will require more man power and thus more jobs would be generated,
I could go on and on and on but this is it If we have power then we will surpass this and be in G-20 by 2020 am confident about it, but power cry cry cry cry
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by Eddeux(m): 8:11pm On Jun 09, 2010
Nigeria's GDP (PPP) is at $357.2 billion dollars, and $167.4 billion (nominal). South Africa's GDP is $495.1 billion (PPP) and $280.6 billion (nominal), and they're saying it's going to take Nigeria another 13 years to catch up?!

The differences between GDP really isn't that huge, and assuming Nigeria grows at a 7% rate then $357.2x1.07^10 = $702 billion dollars by 2020, and if SA grows at 4% then $495.1 x 1.04^10 = $732.86 billion, which would mean Nigeria Purchasing Power Parity wise would be straight on SA's tail. Note this is just my easy way to calculate GDP growth, and I'm positive Nigeria will see growth above 7% before at least 2014 (4 years away just in case it takes that long to get reforms started). This would give Nigeria 6 years of growth higher than 7%, possible in the double digits, to catch SA, and it will happen. Nigeria has the potential to get GDP above $900 billion, possible over $1 trillion, by 2020 if reforms are made soon. Nevertheless I expect it to overtake SA sometime between 2015-2018 if growth is higher than 7%.
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by ADint(m): 9:44am On Jun 10, 2010
^^^ Good analysis.

I do actually expect Nigeria's GDP (Nominal not just PPP) to surpass South Africa's before 2023, most definitely by 2020. The Nigerian economy still grew by about 7% last year; this is without electricity, good roads, rampant corruption e.t.c. The power issue should improve dramatically over the next 2 years, we should also see more due diligence and protection for investors and then we would begin to see mid-teens (13 - 17) double digit growth!

In Nigeria almost everyone is a potential 'entrepreneur' with a huge market to swallow up whatever is produced internally. The opportunities are boundless - Agriculture, Agro-processing, manufacturing, light industry, transport just name it. If we even only focus on import-substitution and processing of our raw materials before export this alone would have a huge significant impact on the GDP, not to talk about developing the potential available in other sectors that have been virtually untouched.

The next 2-5 years would be particularly interesting times for Nigeria.
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by Justcash(m): 11:25am On Jun 10, 2010
It won't take up to 3 yrs for Nigeria to overtake South Africa as the biggest economy in Africa, if only the federal government can put Six basic things in place: I have listed them in an order of priority.

1. Constant supply of electricity

2. Adequate security

3. Attractive Business policies and environment (A pre-requisite for FDI and Domestic business growth)

4. Good and innovative Credit facilities (Especially for Entrepreneurial Nigerians with innovative business ideas and big Foreign investors)

5. Provision of efficient basic infrastructural facilities (Road, water, transportation system etc)

6. Proper monitoring of Government agencies to checkmate anti-investment activities (Bribery, deliberate maltreatment etc)

Until We do these, We are not getting anywhere close to South Africa in terms of real economic growth and development.

We have everything to overtake South Africa. The problem is the attitude of deliberate foot dragging by Nigeria's government when it comes to putting these basic things in place.

We have the potential to be an economic giant in the world. There is a;

High Domestic consumption potential

Abundant natural resources

Huge availability of intellectuals

Hospitality is enshrined in our culture

60% + of our population are youths (Abundance of labor)

Most of all We have a big manufacturing and service potential.

These are what most countries wish to have.

It can actually take us less than 10 yrs to get to the level of most developed nations. This is because we don't need to invent anything new in the world to be a world's economic power. We need to study, acquire and properly utilize things that has already been invented to meet our goals and experience what even the countries that invented those things may not be experiencing. This requires a focused, Passionate and sensible leadership. That was the Secret of the growth of Singapore under Lee Kuan Yew.

Seun didn't invent the Internet. He used the internet to create this forum which is being patronized by Nigerians and foreigners, and can be a good alternative to other forums around the world. He actually used a foreign invention properly to reach his goal of creating wealth and making an impact. This was what I meant when I said that Nigerians don't need to invent.

If our government does one of the factors that I mentioned above, without the others, then we can never reach our full economic potential in Nigeria.
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by EzeUche(m): 12:08pm On Jun 10, 2010
That even if Nigeria makes it past 2015. . .
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by xterra2(m): 3:35pm On Jun 10, 2010
Exactly thats my point If our government is serious with light,electricity,security and education
Infact i can guess by 2016 we can Overtake them
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by sjeezy8: 4:32pm On Jun 10, 2010
lol no big deal its number two now and people are still suffering lmfao
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by Eddeux(m): 5:50am On Jun 11, 2010
sjeezy8:

lol no big deal its number two now and people are still suffering lmfao

People are going to suffer no matter what. People still suffer in developing countries. The thing about development is that it takes time for majority of benefits to trickle down to majority of the population. Yes China was Asia's #2 economy years back and it still has hundreds of milions still in poverty, and now although it's the largest there are still millions in poverty but it has gotten better. You don't see the bright side about Nigeria becoming Africa's largest economy.
EzeUche:

That even if Nigeria makes it past 2015. . .

If the Nigerian people had attitudes like that then I don't think Nigeria would even make it past 2010  tongue
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by mamman4: 9:13am On Jun 11, 2010
laugh go kill me die, na so these government officials de commot for public tok say we will best the country by 2030 when they don't even have plans and a system to implement the so called statement that they make, who do u think we are, d aborigines?? abeg next time make una think before una come de disturb us with your so called visions wey no go ever materialize,
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by omenka(m): 7:48pm On Aug 14, 2014
Typical!!

In everything positive, Nigeria will be blablabla....

In everything negative, Nigeria is blablabla.....

Story of my country. Smh.
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by lilprinze: 6:48pm On Aug 27, 2014
Nigeria the Power house of Africa
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by eunisam: 7:13pm On Aug 27, 2014
Nigeria remains the giant of Africa.
Re: 'Nigeria ‘ll Be Africa’s Biggest Economy By 2023' by EasternLeopard: 7:21pm On Aug 27, 2014
We want an economy that we can live comfortable in. Not big economy filled with hopelessness.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan - The 100 Day Whirlwind / African Union Officially Recognises Libya's New Leadership / Rashidi Yekini Buried Like A 'commoner' - (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.