Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,460 members, 7,770,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:40 AM

"How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) (51223 Views)

Police Rescue Robber After Mob Set Him On Fire For Snatching Phone (photos) / Thief Stabs Young Man To Death In Abuja, Flees With His Bike And Phone (Photos) / Men Insert Bottle In Lady's Privates For Stealing Phone [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by codinight: 9:38pm On Jul 09, 2018
I had a rather funny experience some weeks ago. I went to a supermarket to buy some drinks, as soon as my GTB card was inserted into the POS machine my account balance was printed, this was without me entering my pin. This goes to show that though we feel secure behind our four digit pins, these devices have the ability to decode our cards and perform unsolicited transactions.

7 Likes

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by ayoBiz(m): 9:38pm On Jul 09, 2018
I think CryptoCurrency and Blockchain can solve this mess.

Me that wanted to recharge 3k from my account to buy data ended up debited twice and now I have 6k. Network is trash too.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by yorke1: 9:38pm On Jul 09, 2018
Same thing happened to me. FIRST BANK IS USELESS. Never since them, I make sure no amount remain in that account once I receive alert.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by mayze: 9:40pm On Jul 09, 2018
Once u misplace your phone..call your bank next time to restrict your account,if your phone is not locked.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by richybanky(m): 9:40pm On Jul 09, 2018
Now I see d reason y it is good for someone to lock up his/her sim.. 37k within how many hours shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by mario147(m): 9:40pm On Jul 09, 2018
Yes everyone should start locking their sim now.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Stonerobaba(m): 9:40pm On Jul 09, 2018
With the number the credit was transferred to, the perpetrator could easily be nabbed. Just look for a good cop. I know few ones if you need help
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by DonFreshmoney(m): 9:42pm On Jul 09, 2018
U have that amount, and person go dey kneel down dey beg u for chicken change. You no go give..

Karma is a biatcchhh
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by talk2hb1(m): 9:43pm On Jul 09, 2018
Bad
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by abubakar23: 9:43pm On Jul 09, 2018
Your bank can assist you in investigate the phone numbers that were recharged from your account or MTN can assist by investigate the number in which transfer was made to or if all these money was transferred to your line, they can equally investigate how do they use the recharge.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Oluomo5: 9:44pm On Jul 09, 2018
Report your case to police they can investigate the number .good luck
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by tgmservice: 9:45pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:

Thats why i didnt even bother naming the bank because i was positive it could happen with any Nigerian bank. I believe one personally locking the sim is one way of securing our account all we have to do then is just disturb the line with calls and make them switch it off, thereby rendering the sim useless because it will definitely ask for a pin when inserted any where its inserted.
Remember: If an incorrect PIN is entered more than three times, a PUK is needed!
ed!
Everyone should pay attention to this and start locking their sim.

I'm thinking of going to sars too, but i dont have the imei, who has the imei of a touch light phone grin. Maybe my own would be 40/60.
nice one bro
i tried activating this but my phone is asking for sim pin how do i get this
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by brightk(m): 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:

Thats why i didnt even bother naming the bank because i was positive it could happen with any Nigerian bank. I believe one personally locking the sim is one way of securing our account all we have to do then is just disturb the line with calls and make them switch it off, thereby rendering the sim useless because it will definitely ask for a pin when inserted any where its inserted.
Remember: If an incorrect PIN is entered more than three times, a PUK is needed!
ed!

I'm thinking of going to sars too, but i dont have the imei, who has the imei of a touch light phone grin. Maybe my own would be 40/60.

u ve not told the complete story... Your bank is access bank... i am an access bank customer. if someone tries to do USSD transactions u must apply a security code.

Just say they recharged your line and maybe did share n sell to their respective lines... for you to say they bought airtime for themselves is a big NO for me.. prove me wrong.. i will be waiting

2 Likes

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by ShawtCake(f): 9:47pm On Jul 09, 2018
My dear, say the name of the bank! Loud it!!
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Jethrolite(m): 9:48pm On Jul 09, 2018
faithy314:
Exactly what happened to me,bank is gtb.the guys stole the phone from me in a napep and transferred 30k they bought credits tru my mtn sim then transferred to their numbers which I tracked all n have their numbers.I also have my IMEI phone number for tracking but sarz asking for a fee and that its 50/50 so I just shunned.
As u suggested tho,I have put a phome lock and sim lock.
You see how we are part of the mess this country is in? Sarz gave you outrageous terms, why didn't you report the case directly to PRRCU on twitter and copy X squad?

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Offpoint: 9:48pm On Jul 09, 2018
Oluwasaeon:
GTb also guilty of this.
My UBA and Zenith will still ask for the PIN to complete whatever transaction on the USSD platform. Sorry
Lol, you never see anything... try using wrong pin and see if the transaction won't go through.... just try recharging N100 and feed me back... I'm talking about UBA

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by jayinfo2(m): 9:49pm On Jul 09, 2018
So access bank too isn't secured , well I will just transfer my money to zenith bank now. But I hate this zenith guys

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Bullhari: 9:52pm On Jul 09, 2018
I have similar issues with Access bank. in my case, they didn't use ussd, they used an online platform called Tamara ( linked with pay with capture I was told).
they registered me before I could know my block the sim, then after I welcomed the sim back they logged in with their PC around 1am and withdrew a total of #74,500. I woke up to see the alerts.
painfully, it was transferred to a diamond bank account, which makes it very traceable, but my bank said they are limited by protocols.

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by noeloge82(m): 9:52pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:
I lost my phone yesterday night, a touch light phone thinking there's little to worry about but I was wrong. There's everything to worry about especially when you are in Nigeria. The sim on the phone is tied to 3 banks.
Majority of Nigerians do this, where we use one mobile number for all our financial accounts, trusting that security measures are excellent.

Fast forward to this morning, I went to MTN office today and i was told i could not retrieve my sim since it is my brother that did the registration earlier, i've been using this same sim for over 6 years now but my brother isn't in the country but it all fell on deaf ears with we are sorry there's nothing we can do, I left their office, on my way coming I saw an MTN retail store, "retrieve your sim here" the sign board reads. I got inside there and told the rep i met everything after much pleading, it was processed for me and I've been told my sim would be active come monday evening.

I got back home thinking all was well, but something just triggered me to check my account via the app and there it was, all red and red and red and red. All I could see was debit for recharge card with amount ranging from 300-1000-5000 in multiples resulting to N37300. I quickly transferred the money I have left to my friends account.

One question that kept coming to me was; How did they do it?
I have not been able to transfer or recharge my line using that specific bank's USSD code ever since NYSC gave me the account in OT Camp in Iseyin, 2016 because it was interfering with my old account with the same bank.

It has finally has dawn on me that our banking system here has little or no triggers to the irregularities that is happening in an account. I will be going to their bank, first thing on monday to have a review with them.

I have 4 account tied to this phone number, truth is only this account had money in it. I guess they cast a wide net on all the banks using my details to see the ones that would return successful and then harvest the account.

To our bank;
1. What should one do when one's phone gets stolen or missing especially when it's on a weekend?
I know our bank uses the BVN as a primary key connecting every account to another but its clear another layer of security is needed.

2. Limit the amount value an account owner can recharge in a day. Why would a saner Nigerian recharge over 37k in this buhari economy and the bank system couldn't flag this off?

3. Dialing *565*1# is not enough to generate your BVN, it should always ask for a pin to complete this command, our programmers should think out of the box, this is too shameful. A BVN that is used as a Primary Key[b/] yet its easily accessible by any unauthorized party.

[b]My mistakes; Learn from them

1. I did not call my network provider to deactivate my line, I was foolish enough to think our banks were secure. I don't trust our banks security anymore.
Look at it this way, to recharge on your phone you need a pin to complete any transaction even if your are using a USSD code, and beside it was a touch light phone with my sim in this case not an ATM but 37k was deducted from my account with just having my sim. You see how insecure the system is?

2. Having my sim locked with a pin not just the phone would at least served as a measure of security, once it's inserted on any device it will request for a pin. I might be wrong but I'm just thinking out loud here.

The Future:
Unfortunately is sad because Nigerians will keep falling into this ordeal unless our banks wakes up.
They people that did this are not good, our banking system is just poor for any d!ck and harry to mess with.

Security: Digital security would be a niche that would be very hot with massive potential. A lot more companies (noticed the more because right now we have only few organizations with standard financial security measures)

[b]I have decided not to add the name of the bank here, because i believe same thing can happen with any other banks.
Tell me do you bank ask you for any security pin when you dial *565*0# to check you BVN Number?[b/]

Nigerian should awake because we've fallen.

Secure your SIM not just your phone alone especially when that SIM is tied to your [b]BVN[b/] which is has clearly shown to me unfortunately with an expense of 37K that it isn't secure at all.

Below are screenshots of the red to red alerts, I had to transfer the rest out of the account.

[b]Is there any hope of this money being returned to me?[b/]

I hope the mods push this to the front page, Nigerians should be aware of this flaw in the system and be careful.

Sorry for the loss but in case of next time try and ask the customer care of your bank for their 24/7 customer care assistant they work everyday and time so in case of sim loss u can call them to block the account and some banks app can even enable you block your account

2 Likes

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by brightk(m): 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2018
jayinfo2:
So access bank too isn't secured , well I will just transfer my money to zenith bank now. But I hate this zenith guys
dat guy never talk wetin happen.. i b acess bank customer....dat shit is not possible
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Prince202020(m): 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:

ed!

You don't need to name the Bank, that's Access Bank.

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Dartech3939(m): 9:56pm On Jul 09, 2018
Eyah sorry bros
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by faithy314(f): 9:56pm On Jul 09, 2018
Jethrolite:
You see how we are part of the mess this country is in? Sarz gave you outrageous terms, why didn't you report the case directly to PRRCU on twitter and copy X squad?
please enlighten me,what is PRRCU? how can i contact them?on twitter??
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by AZeD1(m): 9:56pm On Jul 09, 2018
You can't do a bank transaction with BVN. BVN is for identification.

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by sybarite7(m): 9:57pm On Jul 09, 2018
I would advise you copy the phone numbers that were recharged so you can get the thieves
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Lomprico2: 10:01pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:
I lost my phone yesterday night, a touch light phone thinking there's little to worry about but I was wrong. There's everything to worry about especially when you are in Nigeria. The sim on the phone is tied to 3 banks.
Majority of Nigerians do this, where we use one mobile number for all our financial accounts, trusting that security measures are excellent.

Fast forward to this morning, I went to MTN office today and i was told i could not retrieve my sim since it is my brother that did the registration earlier, i've been using this same sim for over 6 years now but my brother isn't in the country but it all fell on deaf ears with we are sorry there's nothing we can do, I left their office, on my way coming I saw an MTN retail store, "retrieve your sim here" the sign board reads. I got inside there and told the rep i met everything after much pleading, it was processed for me and I've been told my sim would be active come monday evening.

I got back home thinking all was well, but something just triggered me to check my account via the app and there it was, all red and red and red and red. All I could see was debit for recharge card with amount ranging from 300-1000-5000 in multiples resulting to N37300. I quickly transferred the money I have left to my friends account.

One question that kept coming to me was; How did they do it?
I have not been able to transfer or recharge my line using that specific bank's USSD code ever since NYSC gave me the account in OT Camp in Iseyin, 2016 because it was interfering with my old account with the same bank.

It has finally has dawn on me that our banking system here has little or no triggers to the irregularities that is happening in an account. I will be going to their bank, first thing on monday to have a review with them.

I have 4 account tied to this phone number, truth is only this account had money in it. I guess they cast a wide net on all the banks using my details to see the ones that would return successful and then harvest the account.

To our bank;
1. What should one do when one's phone gets stolen or missing especially when it's on a weekend?
I know our bank uses the BVN as a primary key connecting every account to another but its clear another layer of security is needed.

2. Limit the amount value an account owner can recharge in a day. Why would a saner Nigerian recharge over 37k in this buhari economy and the bank system couldn't flag this off?

3. Dialing *565*1# is not enough to generate your BVN, it should always ask for a pin to complete this command, our programmers should think out of the box, this is too shameful. A BVN that is used as a Primary Key[b/] yet its easily accessible by any unauthorized party.

[b]My mistakes; Learn from them

1. I did not call my network provider to deactivate my line, I was foolish enough to think our banks were secure. I don't trust our banks security anymore.
Look at it this way, to recharge on your phone you need a pin to complete any transaction even if your are using a USSD code, and beside it was a touch light phone with my sim in this case not an ATM but 37k was deducted from my account with just having my sim. You see how insecure the system is?

2. Having my sim locked with a pin not just the phone would at least served as a measure of security, once it's inserted on any device it will request for a pin. I might be wrong but I'm just thinking out loud here.

The Future:
Unfortunately is sad because Nigerians will keep falling into this ordeal unless our banks wakes up.
They people that did this are not good, our banking system is just poor for any d!ck and harry to mess with.

Security: Digital security would be a niche that would be very hot with massive potential. A lot more companies (noticed the more because right now we have only few organizations with standard financial security measures)

[b]I have decided not to add the name of the bank here, because i believe same thing can happen with any other banks.
Tell me do you bank ask you for any security pin when you dial *565*0# to check you BVN Number?[b/]

Nigerian should awake because we've fallen.

Secure your SIM not just your phone alone especially when that SIM is tied to your [b]BVN[b/] which is has clearly shown to me unfortunately with an expense of 37K that it isn't secure at all.

Below are screenshots of the red to red alerts, I had to transfer the rest out of the account.

[b]Is there any hope of this money being returned to me?[b/]

I hope the mods push this to the front page, Nigerians should be aware of this flaw in the system and be careful.

Sorry for ur loss but u can track the number that did d recharge n get d criminal.

U for just block d line jeje.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Sijo01(f): 10:02pm On Jul 09, 2018
I think the scammer can be tracked with the number he or she recharge with your cash. It's possible they might not leave the line active. Even if they transfered the credit to other sims, with the help of the service providers, they can be caught.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by maasoap(m): 10:03pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:

I know, my main concern is how the banking system has still not found measure to protect her customers from incidents like this?
The most they do is block the account, nothing more or less.

Most banks don't ask for PIN when you're recharging your line which is linked to your accounts, that's shameful! Checking BVN too doesn't require PIN. Shameful and carelessness.
The reason why it is discouraged to activate SIM and phone lock is because of emergency, if one's relatives or families need to be contacted, like when one is involved in accident. I do lock my phone though, SIM card too once in a while.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by seedsower(m): 10:03pm On Jul 09, 2018
access bank noni
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Troublemaker007(m): 10:04pm On Jul 09, 2018
kristonium:
Welcome to Nigeria!
You see why internet fraudster said he could steal 1billion naira from any nigerian bank within a day?
We still have a long way to go with online security!

Who said that?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Viruscod3d: 10:04pm On Jul 09, 2018
Oluwasaeon:
GTb also guilty of this.
My UBA and Zenith will still ask for the PIN to complete whatever transaction on the USSD platform. Sorry
they will reset ur password, since they have ur fone.

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by SirLakes: 10:04pm On Jul 09, 2018
This is Nigeria grin
Everybody n thing na criminal

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Isu Arochukwu Communal Clash: Two Killed, 10 Missing (Graphic Photos) / Nigerian Army Sacks Private Soldier For Taking Picture In Colonel’s Office - SR / Pregnant Woman Stabs Husband To Death In Delta State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.