Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,542 members, 7,770,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:26 AM

"How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) (51224 Views)

Police Rescue Robber After Mob Set Him On Fire For Snatching Phone (photos) / Thief Stabs Young Man To Death In Abuja, Flees With His Bike And Phone (Photos) / Men Insert Bottle In Lady's Privates For Stealing Phone [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by taiwoakin(m): 2:04am On Jul 10, 2018
The same thing happened to me just this weekend. My phone was stolen on Friday, long story short, they bought airtime on my sim card using my balance and subsequently transferred the airtime to their phone numbers.

By the time I rushed to call mtn customer care to block the line, the deed had been done. A call to the bank was also too late.

I was at the police station today to report the incident and the policeman at the counter advised me to forget about it because it involves tracking the phone number where the airtime was eventually transferred to and that phone number tracking was 50,000.

I intend to contact the Police via call or social media channels, tracking shouldnt be something we have to pay for.

For Gtbank, my message is this, enabling purchase of airtime by customers on their registered line without asking for pin is a big security loophole that needs to be blocked ASAP.

Criminals are exploiting it on a daily basis and the banks need to be proactive in checkmating the abuse.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by cenaman(m): 3:00am On Jul 10, 2018
[quote author=leunamme93 post=69172502]I lost my phone yesterday night, a touch light phone thinking there's little to worry about but I was wrong. There's everything to worry about especially when you are in Nigeria. The sim on the phone is tied to 3 banks.
Majority of Nigerians do this, where we use one mobile number for all our financial accounts, trusting that security measures are excellent.

Fast forward to this morning, I went to MTN office today and i was told i could not retrieve my sim since it is my brother that did the registration earlier, i've been using this same sim for over 6 years now but my brother isn't in the country but it all fell on deaf ears with we are sorry there's nothing we can do, I left their office, on my way coming I saw an MTN retail store, "retrieve your sim here" the kind lie wey some people the lie eno get part2. pls if u want advice people just advice without adding lie to it.firstly you said it was tied to 3 bank account later it was 4 how na my guy?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by linearity: 3:37am On Jul 10, 2018
leunamme93:

I know, my main concern is how the banking system has still not found measure to protect her customers from incidents like this?
The most they do is block the account, nothing more or less.

The truth is, the bank’s primary function is not to protect you, it is to make profit for it’s board and shareholders.

System changes to add security are expensive and the sad truth is, the banks are unwilling to break the bank to do that for you, while other banks are not doing it.

Your cry should be to CBN and the regulatory bodies in Nigeria to force these changes down their throat. Else, the banks wouldn’t do it, they wouldn’t loose a dime here, the worst case scenario they will make the Airtime merchant eat the cost and pull the money from those accounts to repay you. Even in rear circumstances where they are made to eat some cost, they have insurance that protects them, the insurance will come in and reimburse them.

So, you can see that there are no incentives to plug all these security holes and no repercussion if they don’t. Already, just like most people will do in the situation, you are protecting the bank by leaving their name out. They are very happy with this, now they wouldn’t have a public backsplash and pressure to do anything.

But, if people defrauded start calling out the name of these banks and a common thread emerges, they will feel the pressure to do something because their profit would be affected if people start moving their money and stop banking with them.

5 Likes

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by deenee: 3:45am On Jul 10, 2018
mayze:
Once u misplace your phone..call your bank next time to restrict your account,if your phone is not locked.

Thank you for the info to people here. This is the first thing you should do. My sincere apologies for your loss but I am sure that there were a few security lapses from your end too.

You make it sound like the bank has no done anything to protest your transactions. Funny thing is you have been using the same USSD banking an nothing happened until you lost your phone.

You also mentioned that your brother was the one that registered the phone for you and you went to a retail shop to change the registration.

I suspect you have left out a few details and you are blaming the banks in our typical manner.

There are over 40billion USSD transactions done daily and to be honest banks are trying in terms of security in this platform but we also need to out in out own effort

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by konkonbilo(m): 4:36am On Jul 10, 2018
faithy314:
Exactly what happened to me,bank is gtb.the guys stole the phone from me in a napep and transferred 30k they bought credits tru my mtn sim then transferred to their numbers which I tracked all n have their numbers.I also have my IMEI phone number for tracking but sarz asking for a fee and that its 50/50 so I just shunned.
As u suggested tho,I have put a phome lock and sim lock.
please ,how do you lock a sim
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by dominique(f): 5:45am On Jul 10, 2018
harveyspec:

this part for me, how is this possible? if my phone is stolen, how do they get my account number & bank assuming I didn't save my account number on my phone

I have no idea myself but I've seen cases where they've made purchases and wiped out accounts with the line linked to an account. Advanced hacking I suppose
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by ndigbo: 5:52am On Jul 10, 2018
brightk:

u ve not told the complete story... Your bank is access bank... i am an access bank customer. if someone tries to do USSD transactions u must apply a security code.

Just say they recharged your line and maybe did share n sell to their respective lines... for you to say they bought airtime for themselves is a big NO for me.. prove me wrong.. i will be waiting

The OP, is telling the complete truth! Same scenario happened with my younger sister, her phone was tapped, when she was returning from NYSC. Before we could say Jack, 76k had been deducted from her access bank Account!
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Lufthansa: 6:11am On Jul 10, 2018
@leunamme93 sorry about ur ordeal. I will suggest u tag the concern bank on twitter as it will not want her name soiled. Possibly ask ur followers to help retweet.

2ndly, I will advise you lodge the complain with CBN. They have their office smwhere on the island. Someone on this platform narrated how close to 300k was moved out of his acct by scammers while his bank was naive on taking action. It was after he lodged his complain with the cbn that his case was treated and the money credited back to his acct.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by elfico(m): 6:11am On Jul 10, 2018
leunamme93:

Thats why i didnt even bother naming the bank because i was positive it could happen with any Nigerian bank. I believe one personally locking the sim is one way of securing our account all we have to do then is just disturb the line with calls and make them switch it off, thereby rendering the sim useless because it will definitely ask for a pin when inserted any where its inserted.
Remember: If an incorrect PIN is entered more than three times, a PUK is needed!
ed!
Everyone should pay attention to this and start locking their sim.

I'm thinking of going to sars too, but i dont have the imei, who has the imei of a touch light phone grin. Maybe my own would be 40/60.

You don't have to name the bank. Those using the app knows its Access bank.
Asides other security measures, the name of your account officer is on that app. Just note it down and call them when you lose your sim. Sorry for your loss.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by franksam2009: 6:34am On Jul 10, 2018
LeHMaR:
See why i trust UBA, UBA bank will ask for my password just to check my account balance not to talk of transactions involving money..
Sorry though
UBA has the most unsecure bank app
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Zirah: 6:52am On Jul 10, 2018
LeHMaR:
See why i trust UBA, UBA bank will ask for my password just to check my account balance not to talk of transactions involving money..
Sorry though

Thanks for this very important info. I might as well open a UBA account. I've had money stolen from my GT account via BVN /SIM fraud, 280k. However, what do you think, will it make any difference opening an account with UBA as I already have a compromised BVN with GT?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by newbie2018: 6:53am On Jul 10, 2018
leunamme93:
I did notice this on one of the receipt, it says Vas2Net Airtime Vending.
you have the recharge recipients phone number, the NCC should be able to provide enough Information to curb that thief down.

also try doing your own investigations, try to see how to get maybe trucaller info or whatsapp or text messaging, use a lady to set the number owner up for a meeting or something and nab him.

GL
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by newbie2018: 6:56am On Jul 10, 2018
Zirah:

Thanks for this very important info. I might as well open a UBA account. I've had money stolen from my GT account via BVN /SIM fraud, 280k. However, what do you think, will it make any difference opening an account with UBA as I already have a compromised BVN with GT?
how do you mean compromised?

uba needs my fingerprint for everything from recharging or even acct balance check even after that I still have to enter another pSsword before any transaction will actualise. I also hide my bank apps from my main phone menu. so even if my phone is snatched, u can not see my bank apps.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Zirah: 7:00am On Jul 10, 2018
senetorjboss:
Gtb is the worst... A friend had her 90k transferred without the bank doing nothing... I think this scamers work hand in hand with bank operatives

Mine was 280k. GTB.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Zirah: 7:01am On Jul 10, 2018
newbie2018:

how do you mean compromised?

uba needs my fingerprint for everything from recharging or even acct balance check even after that I still have to enter another pSsword before any transaction will actualise. I also hide my bank apps from my main phone menu. so even if my phone is snatched, u can not see my bank apps.

Yes my BV Number is compromised, I.e it is known to the person who swindled me with it.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by newbie2018: 7:03am On Jul 10, 2018
leunamme93:

Thats why i didnt even bother naming the bank because i was positive it could happen with any Nigerian bank. I believe one personally locking the sim is one way of securing our account all we have to do then is just disturb the line with calls and make them switch it off, thereby rendering the sim useless because it will definitely ask for a pin when inserted any where its inserted.
Remember: If an incorrect PIN is entered more than three times, a PUK is needed!
ed!

I'm thinking of going to sars too, but i dont have the imei, who has the imei of a touch light phone grin. Maybe my own would be 40/60.

torch lite ke...their % go high oh, u. nor say 85/15

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Offpoint: 7:08am On Jul 10, 2018
loswhite:
how can u use wrong pin and transaction will still go through? Like seriously!!!!

I've done that twice with my phone I was surprised it when through, I was thinking they'll detect and refund... nothing happened. since then I became more careful with my phone. Their app is more secure than that USSD of a thing.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by newbie2018: 7:13am On Jul 10, 2018
Zirah:

Yes my BV Number is compromised, I.e it is known to the person who swindled me with it.
oh now I understand, I think something can be done to apply for a new bvn just to be safe even though a banker once told me no one can know how many bank acct I have just by knowing my bvn.

so it maybe as simple as creating a new acct and may still be safe.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Zirah: 7:17am On Jul 10, 2018
newbie2018:

oh now I understand, I think something can be done to apply for a new bvn just to be safe even though a banker once told me no one can know how many bank acct I have just by knowing my bvn.

so it maybe as simple as creating a new acct and may still be safe.

Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by newbie2018: 7:20am On Jul 10, 2018
Zirah:

Thanks for the heads up.
yw sorry for your loss tho sucks

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by apprentist(m): 7:20am On Jul 10, 2018
Let me give you guys one leak.

They can use a betting platform like SPORTY BET to credit their bet account through your bank account (don't even ask how they'd get your account number), and then empty the bet account into theirs after getting the OTP on your sim that's now with them. #be_wiser
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Zirah: 7:24am On Jul 10, 2018
deenee:

Thank you for the info to people here. This is the first thing you should do. My sincere apologies for your loss but I am sure that there were a few security lapses from your end too.

effort

Trash. He misplaced his phone NOT his money. Who secures the money?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by bejeria101(m): 7:29am On Jul 10, 2018
leunamme93:

A VERY LONG WAY TO GO!!!

EFCC too needs to work on themselves as all i know they still need to improve.

Efcc is only concerned about looters than looking into cases as this.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by niketo4real: 7:42am On Jul 10, 2018
Abimbola94:
*904# NA D CODE.. LOLS

Why not share it here for others to learn and benefit?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Ztittude(m): 8:10am On Jul 10, 2018
niketo4real:

Why not share it here for others to learn and benefit?

Access Bank don't require any password /pin when you use the phone number linked to your bank account o dial *904*credit amount# to buy airtime

the day I noticed, I immediately transfers my money to another bank and left 2k if I need emergency airtime recharge too.

solution lock your sim, and the phone too to prevent someone from accessing the Sim if you misplace your phone
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by senetorjboss(m): 8:16am On Jul 10, 2018
loswhite:
lol that is exactly what the lazy youth will say. Did u ask your friends questions? Did ur friend bother to follow up and investigate how 90k was transferred from her account? Do u knw that we have digital print when money is transferred from one account to another? It is amazing how u ppl come online to type without basic knowledge to of how things work
OK... Thanks for tagging me a lazy youths...she gave out number on her atm card when having issues on not having alert BT instead the individual funded a way to transfer her money bypass the almighty security token number... I just knw the some bank officials work hand in hand with this people..... How can you use someone money to shop online ten good tyms without a token number.. Gtb is so guilty of this
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by faithy314(f): 8:33am On Jul 10, 2018
konkonbilo:
please ,how do you lock a sim
go to security on ur phne,then lock phone.insert ur puk numbr which is on yr sim pack
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by lilachiever(m): 8:37am On Jul 10, 2018
leunamme93:

ed!

Your Bank is ACCESS BANK
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by bigcee(m): 8:39am On Jul 10, 2018
Cyberleets:
"me? return 30k? that uba account go rotten there"
Lmao grin .U be real bad guy grin
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by egojeny1(f): 8:51am On Jul 10, 2018
coonett87:
Technology is a welcome development but anything that has an advantage equally have disadvantages. On this case, the best thing is to quickly block the lost number by informing your network provider immediately. If your SIM is stolen, it is assumed the rightful owner is with it not knowing it's a wrong person so any command given from the SIM can be obeyed by the artificial intelligence programmed to carry out the transaction. Those guys have access to change your security details via forgot password since they can receive OTP code etc on the stolen SIM so it's not a matter of having password. We shld endavour to be careful with our devices and all the network providers Customer Care Unit shld also be proactive in ensuring they block any reported line immediately to curb any fraud using the SIM card. Avoid saving your account number on your phone or change the name if you must save it. Always delete all SMS or email alerts if possible. Sorry OP.

On point sir.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by SexTin(f): 8:53am On Jul 10, 2018
LeHMaR:
Sorry though
Stay There, No U Mobile. No Need For Ur Real Pin.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by einsteine(m): 9:29am On Jul 10, 2018
leunamme93:

I believe there's a loophole somewhere in this system, how can you just dail *565*0# and your bvn is sent without any other security pin to confirm if it is the owner performing the transaction?

Thank you.

You keep talking about bvn, bvn. It's not by BVN.

You can carry out transactions in several banks once you have the alert sim in hand. Even if you introduce a password (how would you do this by the way? Choose a password at point of registration?) for checking BVN, incidents like this would still occur. Your phone number is more important than your BVN. I heard of a case someone's 20 million naira was stolen when the sim was retrieved behind his back. OTPs come to your sim. There are applications that allow you to directly debit a bank account, all you need is the alert sim and the otp which of course goes to the alert sim.

In your case, it was probably your line they recharged. You don't really need a pin to recharge your personal line registered with any bank. They recharged your line and transferred the credit to themselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Sacks Private Soldier For Taking Picture In Colonel’s Office - SR / Pregnant Woman Stabs Husband To Death In Delta State (Photos) / Zambian Government Worker's Nude Picture Leaked Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.