Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,359 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

"How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) (51439 Views)

Police Rescue Robber After Mob Set Him On Fire For Snatching Phone (photos) / Thief Stabs Young Man To Death In Abuja, Flees With His Bike And Phone (Photos) / Men Insert Bottle In Lady's Privates For Stealing Phone [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by coonett87: 10:06pm On Jul 09, 2018
Technology is a welcome development but anything that has an advantage equally have disadvantages. On this case, the best thing is to quickly block the lost number by informing your network provider immediately. If your SIM is stolen, it is assumed the rightful owner is with it not knowing it's a wrong person so any command given from the SIM can be obeyed by the artificial intelligence programmed to carry out the transaction. Those guys have access to change your security details via forgot password since they can receive OTP code etc on the stolen SIM so it's not a matter of having password. We shld endavour to be careful with our devices and all the network providers Customer Care Unit shld also be proactive in ensuring they block any reported line immediately to curb any fraud using the SIM card. Avoid saving your account number on your phone or change the name if you must save it. Always delete all SMS or email alerts if possible. Sorry OP.

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by ibori1(m): 10:06pm On Jul 09, 2018
*904*amount # na Dis code do justice to ur money
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Jethrolite(m): 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2018
faithy314:
please enlighten me,what is PRRCU? how can i contact them?on twitter??
https://www.nairaland.com/4562857/nigeria-police-finally-reacts-endsars
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by seedsower(m): 10:10pm On Jul 09, 2018
As a business person, your bank alert phone should be different from your hotline, using a pin code means that if the person that picks ite intends to power it for you to call back, pin code won't allow that.

Your smartphone should be ur hotline while nokia torchlight should be ur security/bank sim with pin code enabled.

Nobody should know your security phone accept the bank, and during deposit, when ask yur address please don't write your house number (me no even write my street sef) and also use your hotline not security phone number on the teller.

VERY IMPORTANTLY, ENSURE YOU ACTIVATE ALL YOUR ACCOUNT CODES IN OTHER TO CREATE YOUR PIN, OTHERWISE THIRD PARTY WILL DO THAT FOR WHEN YOU LOST YOUR PHONE.

My 1 cent.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by maasoap(m): 10:10pm On Jul 09, 2018
tgmservice:
nice one bro
i tried activating this but my phone is asking for sim pin how do i get this

Default PIN is 0000
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by jimcaddy(m): 10:14pm On Jul 09, 2018
Nigerians have now become experts in financial and technological crimes. Seems security agencies and indeed the so called EFCC and even the banks are so porous in their IT infrastructure. They need to train more hands to fight these bastards conjuring several means to desperately con Nigerians out of our hard earned monies.. We are the problems of ourselves in this country. That's why we'll never move forward as a nation.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Glorylynn: 10:16pm On Jul 09, 2018
Boy yi dense o,is there any possibility that your money is being returned to you�,o ma ga gan o.se ma bank ko kin pay you o abi MTN?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Contumely: 10:19pm On Jul 09, 2018
kristonium:
Welcome to Nigeria!
You see why internet fraudster said he could steal 1billion naira from any nigerian bank within a day?
We still have a long way to go with online security!

leave that guy na mouth.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by richybanky(m): 10:21pm On Jul 09, 2018
tgmservice:
nice one bro
i tried activating this but my phone is asking for sim pin how do i get this
Call the customer care, and answer some security question and ur PUK will be giving to u. Then u can change ur sim code
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by maasoap(m): 10:21pm On Jul 09, 2018
brightk:

u ve not told the complete story... Your bank is access bank... i am an access bank customer. if someone tries to do USSD transactions u must apply a security code.

Just say they recharged your line and maybe did share n sell to their respective lines ... for you to say they bought airtime for themselves is a big NO for me.. prove me wrong.. i will be waiting

What was he saying before?

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Rollitout: 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2018

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by loswhite(m): 10:39pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:

I believe there's a loophole somewhere in this system, how can you just dail *565*0# and your bvn is sent without any other security pin to confirm if it is the owner performing the transaction?

Thank you.
what is your BVN number? Can your BVN number alone be use to transfer money from your account? These are questions u should ask. I bet u most ppl have Thier password stored and pins stored on their phones....now the phone is stolen and the thief has bread ( mobile app) and knife( password and pin). What do u want the bank to do? Simple information like customer care number they don't knw.
Ppl will go to ATM since they can't wait for their turn they give their ATM to someone to withdraw for them telling the stranger their pin when things go wrong as usual they blame the bank.
It is your responsibility to protect your funds and in doing that you have to be well informed. You get a random message your ATM is block or BVN is deactivated or someone is trying to transfer money from your account we need to stop it and request for certain information the next thing u give them all the necessary information and they wipe your money the next thing u blame the bank....We should learn to take responsibility . Be informed and by chance if your money is stolen from the bank it should be as a result of sophisticated hacking

3 Likes

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by loswhite(m): 10:39pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:

I believe there's a loophole somewhere in this system, how can you just dail *565*0# and your bvn is sent without any other security pin to confirm if it is the owner performing the transaction?

Thank you.
what is your BVN number? Can your BVN number alone be use to transfer money from your account? These are questions u should ask. I bet u most ppl have Thier password stored and pins stored on their phones....now the phone is stolen and the thief has bread ( mobile app) and knife( password and pin). What do u want the bank to do? Simple information like customer care number they don't knw.
Ppl will go to ATM since they can't wait for their turn they give their ATM to someone to withdraw for them telling the stranger their pin when things go wrong as usual they blame the bank.
It is your responsibility to protect your funds and in doing that you have to be well informed. You get a random message your ATM is block or BVN is deactivated or someone is trying to transfer money from your account we need to stop it and request for certain information the next thing u give them all the necessary information and they wipe your money the next thing u blame the bank....We should learn to take responsibility . Be informed and by chance if your money is stolen from the bank it should be as a result of sophisticated hacking .
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Abimbola94: 10:46pm On Jul 09, 2018
*904# IS THE CODE THAT DEAL WITH UR ACCT... ASK ME FOR MORE TIPS.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by loswhite(m): 10:47pm On Jul 09, 2018
senetorjboss:
Gtb is the worst... A friend had her 90k transferred without the bank doing nothing... I think this scamers work hand in hand with bank operatives
lol that is exactly what the lazy youth will say. Did u ask your friends questions? Did ur friend bother to follow up and investigate how 90k was transferred from her account? Do u knw that we have digital print when money is transferred from one account to another? It is amazing how u ppl come online to type without basic knowledge to of how things work
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Abimbola94: 10:48pm On Jul 09, 2018
*904# NA D CODE.. LOLS
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by fotadmowmend(m): 10:52pm On Jul 09, 2018
Abimbola94:
*904# IS THE CODE THAT DEAL WITH UR ACCT... ASK ME FOR MORE TIPS.
Exactly..... Locking Sim cards with pin code can save from this kinda stuff. If u use Gtb *737*amount# would recharge any amount for your Sim without any security...... Even if u mistakenly type more zeros you are in big mess because gtb won't ask for verification
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by loswhite(m): 10:52pm On Jul 09, 2018
Offpoint:

Lol, you never see anything... try using wrong pin and see if the transaction won't go through.... just try recharging N100 and feed me back... I'm talking about UBA
how can u use wrong pin and transaction will still go through? Like seriously!!!!
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by loswhite(m): 10:56pm On Jul 09, 2018
maasoap:

Most banks don't ask for PIN when you're recharging your line which is linked to your accounts, that's shameful! Checking BVN too doesn't require PIN. Shameful and carelessness.
The reason why it is discouraged to activate SIM and phone lock is because of emergency, if one's relatives or families need to be contacted, like when one is involved in accident. I do lock my phone though, SIM card too once in a while.
can someone have access to your bank account with just your BVN?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Oyerinde16(m): 11:04pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:
I lost my phone yesterday night, a touch light phone thinking there's little to worry about but I was wrong. There's everything to worry about especially when you are in Nigeria. The sim on the phone is tied to 3 banks.
Majority of Nigerians do this, where we use one mobile number for all our financial accounts, trusting that security measures are excellent.

Fast forward to this morning, I went to MTN office today and i was told i could not retrieve my sim since it is my brother that did the registration earlier, i've been using this same sim for over 6 years now but my brother isn't in the country but it all fell on deaf ears with we are sorry there's nothing we can do, I left their office, on my way coming I saw an MTN retail store, "retrieve your sim here" the sign board reads. I got inside there and told the rep i met everything after much pleading, it was processed for me and I've been told my sim would be active come monday evening.

I got back home thinking all was well, but something just triggered me to check my account via the app and there it was, all red and red and red and red. All I could see was debit for recharge card with amount ranging from 300-1000-5000 in multiples resulting to N37300. I quickly transferred the money I have left to my friends account.

One question that kept coming to me was; How did they do it?
I have not been able to transfer or recharge my line using that specific bank's USSD code ever since NYSC gave me the account in OT Camp in Iseyin, 2016 because it was interfering with my old account with the same bank.

It has finally has dawn on me that our banking system here has little or no triggers to the irregularities that is happening in an account. I will be going to their bank, first thing on monday to have a review with them.

I have 4 account tied to this phone number, truth is only this account had money in it. I guess they cast a wide net on all the banks using my details to see the ones that would return successful and then harvest the account.

To our bank;
1. What should one do when one's phone gets stolen or missing especially when it's on a weekend?
I know our bank uses the BVN as a primary key connecting every account to another but its clear another layer of security is needed.

2. Limit the amount value an account owner can recharge in a day. Why would a saner Nigerian recharge over 37k in this buhari economy and the bank system couldn't flag this off?

3. Dialing *565*1# is not enough to generate your BVN, it should always ask for a pin to complete this command, our programmers should think out of the box, this is too shameful. A BVN that is used as a Primary Key[b/] yet its easily accessible by any unauthorized party.

[b]My mistakes; Learn from them

1. I did not call my network provider to deactivate my line, I was foolish enough to think our banks were secure. I don't trust our banks security anymore.
Look at it this way, to recharge on your phone you need a pin to complete any transaction even if your are using a USSD code, and beside it was a touch light phone with my sim in this case not an ATM but 37k was deducted from my account with just having my sim. You see how insecure the system is?

2. Having my sim locked with a pin not just the phone would at least served as a measure of security, once it's inserted on any device it will request for a pin. I might be wrong but I'm just thinking out loud here.

The Future:
Unfortunately is sad because Nigerians will keep falling into this ordeal unless our banks wakes up.
They people that did this are not good, our banking system is just poor for any d!ck and harry to mess with.

Security: Digital security would be a niche that would be very hot with massive potential. A lot more companies (noticed the more because right now we have only few organizations with standard financial security measures)

[b]I have decided not to add the name of the bank here, because i believe same thing can happen with any other banks.
Tell me do you bank ask you for any security pin when you dial *565*0# to check you BVN Number?[b/]

Nigerian should awake because we've fallen.

Secure your SIM not just your phone alone especially when that SIM is tied to your [b]BVN[b/] which is has clearly shown to me unfortunately with an expense of 37K that it isn't secure at all.

Below are screenshots of the red to red alerts, I had to transfer the rest out of the account.

[b]Is there any hope of this money being returned to me?[b/]

I hope the mods push this to the front page, Nigerians should be aware of this flaw in the system and be careful.
Go to your bank get the number it was loaded on report to the police very easy to track
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Deziem(m): 11:09pm On Jul 09, 2018
The Bank is Access Bank...
You can get the thief using the number that the same airtime was sent to.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by consultancy: 11:14pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:

Thanks for the headstart.
should be heads up i believe
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:33pm On Jul 09, 2018
leunamme93:
I lost my phone yesterday night, a touch light phone thinking there's little to worry about but I was wrong. There's everything to worry about especially when you are in Nigeria. The sim on the phone is tied to 3 banks.
Majority of Nigerians do this, where we use one mobile number for all our financial accounts, trusting that security measures are excellent.

Fast forward to this morning, I went to MTN office today and i was told i could not retrieve my sim since it is my brother that did the registration earlier, i've been using this same sim for over 6 years now but my brother isn't in the country but it all fell on deaf ears with we are sorry there's nothing we can do, I left their office, on my way coming I saw an MTN retail store, "retrieve your sim here" the sign board reads. I got inside there and told the rep i met everything after much pleading, it was processed for me and I've been told my sim would be active come monday evening.

I got back home thinking all was well, but something just triggered me to check my account via the app and there it was, all red and red and red and red. All I could see was debit for recharge card with amount ranging from 300-1000-5000 in multiples resulting to N37300. I quickly transferred the money I have left to my friends account.

One question that kept coming to me was; How did they do it?
I have not been able to transfer or recharge my line using that specific bank's USSD code ever since NYSC gave me the account in OT Camp in Iseyin, 2016 because it was interfering with my old account with the same bank.

It has finally has dawn on me that our banking system here has little or no triggers to the irregularities that is happening in an account. I will be going to their bank, first thing on monday to have a review with them.

I have 4 account tied to this phone number, truth is only this account had money in it. I guess they cast a wide net on all the banks using my details to see the ones that would return successful and then harvest the account.

To our bank;
1. What should one do when one's phone gets stolen or missing especially when it's on a weekend?
I know our bank uses the BVN as a primary key connecting every account to another but its clear another layer of security is needed.

2. Limit the amount value an account owner can recharge in a day. Why would a saner Nigerian recharge over 37k in this buhari economy and the bank system couldn't flag this off?

3. Dialing *565*1# is not enough to generate your BVN, it should always ask for a pin to complete this command, our programmers should think out of the box, this is too shameful. A BVN that is used as a Primary Key yet its easily accessible by any unauthorized party.

My mistakes; Learn from them
1. I did not call my network provider to deactivate my line, I was foolish enough to think our banks were secure. I don't trust our banks security anymore.
Look at it this way, to recharge on your phone you need a pin to complete any transaction even if your are using a USSD code, and beside it was a touch light phone with my sim in this case not an ATM but 37k was deducted from my account with just having my sim. You see how insecure the system is?

2. Having my sim locked with a pin not just the phone would at least served as a measure of security, once it's inserted on any device it will request for a pin. I might be wrong but I'm just thinking out loud here.

The Future:
Unfortunately is sad because Nigerians will keep falling into this ordeal unless our banks wakes up.
They people that did this are not good, our banking system is just poor for any d!ck and harry to mess with.

Security: Digital security would be a niche that would be very hot with massive potential. A lot more companies (noticed the more because right now we have only few organizations with standard financial security measures)

[b]I have decided not to add the name of the bank here, because i believe same thing can happen with any other banks.
Tell me do you bank ask you for any security pin when you dial *565*0# to check you BVN Number?[b/]

Nigerian should awake because we've fallen.

Secure your SIM not just your phone alone especially when that SIM is tied to your [b]BVN[b/] which is has clearly shown to me unfortunately with an expense of 37K that it isn't secure at all.

Below are screenshots of the red to red alerts, I had to transfer the rest out of the account.

[b]Is there any hope of this money being returned to me?[b/]

I hope the mods push this to the front page, Nigerians should be aware of this flaw in the system and be careful.
You are a silly person... Let me explain..

1. You didn't use a password on your sim.

2. You didn't rush to your bank to remove that number from your account.

3. Why would you use sim card not registered by you? You even went further to prove your stupidity by linking it to your bank account.

If you were close by, I would have knock your head heavily till tears runs down your eyes.

3 Likes

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Rollitout: 11:49pm On Jul 09, 2018
I have account with
Access bank
Gtbank
First bank and
Diamond bank
All these banks except gtbank have good security features even from their mobile apps, when your card is stolen, their is a way you can disable the card from the mobile application, that why, you have rendered the card useless until you enable it back
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by yoged(m): 11:55pm On Jul 09, 2018
DonFreshmoney:
U have that amount, and person go dey kneel down dey beg u for chicken change. You no go give..

Karma is a biatcchhh
see Cox he had money which isn't up to 1million. He should turn himself to Santa Claus abi

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by yoged(m): 11:56pm On Jul 09, 2018
Rollitout:
I have account with
Access bank
Gtbank
First bank and
Diamond bank
All these banks except gtbank have good security features even from their mobile apps, when your card is stolen, their is a way you can disable the card from the mobile application, that why, you have rendered the card useless until you enable it back
same here. And all those banks are link to my number on my Nokia phone. I have to be extraordinary careful
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Rollitout: 11:58pm On Jul 09, 2018

1 Share

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:02am On Jul 10, 2018
LeHMaR:
See why i trust UBA, UBA bank will ask for my password just to check my account balance not to talk of transactions involving money..
Sorry though
Its because dem never deal with you. By the time dem open yansh for ya account, you will forget the last time you said you trust them
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Rollitout: 12:16am On Jul 10, 2018
But guys let's be very careful, a guy going to work on a Monday morning was kidnapped at gun point in Abuja, the kidnappers brought out POS and emptyd the guys account, they shot the guy multiple times the guy died and later his body was recovered by the police, after successful investigation by the police, they were able to trace the man's house and they met his wife
The police investigated the man's bank account and established a valid point that around 6:00am certain transfer was made with a POS from the man's ATM card
Long story short, the kidnappers were all arrested

Lesson from this story, do not carry all your ATM cards with you all the time, make sure you have that particular bank account with ATM card that have little money like 10k or 15k
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by maasoap(m): 1:06am On Jul 10, 2018
loswhite:
can someone have access to your bank account with just your BVN?

I don't think so but people do keep their account numbers on their phones.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by harveyspec: 1:52am On Jul 10, 2018
dominique:
These thieves can now access peoples account through the line without using the ussd codes. Sorry about the loss op, May God replace what you lost in multiples.

this part for me, how is this possible? if my phone is stolen, how do they get my account number & bank assuming I didn't save my account number on my phone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Claims To Be A Soldier, Begs After Being Caught Breaking Covid-19 Lockdown / Colleen Santos - Amalu Blasts Nigeria Police Over Husband's Arrest / How To Identify A Yahoo Plus Guy This Christmas - 10 Ways To Identify

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.