Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

"How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) (51399 Views)

Police Rescue Robber After Mob Set Him On Fire For Snatching Phone (photos) / Thief Stabs Young Man To Death In Abuja, Flees With His Bike And Phone (Photos) / Men Insert Bottle In Lady's Privates For Stealing Phone [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by egojeny1(f): 9:33am On Jul 10, 2018
[quote author=taiwoakin post=69232907]The same thing happened to me just this weekend. My phone was stolen on Friday, long story short, they bought airtime on my sim card using my balance and subsequently transferred the airtime to their phone numbers.

By the time I rushed to call mtn customer care to block the line, the deed had been done. A call to the bank was also too late.

I was at the police station today to report the incident and the policeman at the counter advised me to forget about it because it involves tracking the phone number where the airtime was eventually transferred to and that phone number tracking was 50,000.

I intend to contact the Police via call or social media channels, tracking shouldnt be something we have to pay for.

For Gtbank, my message is this, enabling purchase of airtime by customers on their registered line without asking for pin is a big security loophole that needs to be blocked ASAP.

Criminals are exploiting it on a daily basis and the banks need to be proactive in checkmating the abuse.

[/quote
This is not a joke oo. Are u kidding me here. Wonderful!!
So u cldn't do anything afterwards??
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Mrluv(m): 10:42am On Jul 10, 2018
can ussd code be block
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Surefire1: 10:44am On Jul 10, 2018
forward those numbers that was recharge to the appropriate authority to do the needful.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by loswhite(m): 11:01am On Jul 10, 2018
senetorjboss:

OK... Thanks for tagging me a lazy youths...she gave out number on her atm card when having issues on not having alert BT instead the individual funded a way to transfer her money bypass the almighty security token number... I just knw the some bank officials work hand in hand with this people..... How can you use someone money to shop online ten good tyms without a token number.. Gtb is so guilty of this
my only advise for you is to get more information on how things work instead of accusing bank officials
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by davillian(m): 11:43am On Jul 10, 2018
The sim card that is connected with my account is always at home. With sim lock and phone lock.
My ATM card I move with has no cash in it
I only transfer from my main acc the amount I need to withdraw to my account that has ATM card .
You need to think like a criminal to secure yourself.
How many Nigerians think like a criminal ?

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by JAWBONE(m): 11:46am On Jul 10, 2018
it happened to me too months ago...i am still trying to put up a write up and send it to media houses so the public can know how careless Nigerian banks are when it comes to security.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by themanderon: 12:07pm On Jul 10, 2018
leunamme93:

I believe there's a loophole somewhere in this system, how can you just dail *565*0# and your bvn is sent without any other security pin to confirm if it is the owner performing the transaction?

Thank you.

So true. I just tried this with the sim I used for my first bank account and bam!!! my bvn was shown, no pin no questions asked nothing. First bank should please do something about this anomaly.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by senetorjboss(m): 12:23pm On Jul 10, 2018
loswhite:
my only advise for you is to get more information on how things work instead of accusing bank officials
It seen you work in the bank.. You can share more on how things work,, maybe you knw what I dnt knw... Thanks
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by blessediam: 12:31pm On Jul 10, 2018
faithy314:
Exactly what happened to me,bank is gtb.the guys stole the phone from me in a napep and transferred 30k they bought credits tru my mtn sim then transferred to their numbers which I tracked all n have their numbers.I also have my IMEI phone number for tracking but sarz asking for a fee and that its 50/50 so I just shunned.
As u suggested tho,I have put a phome lock and sim lock.

Exactly my experience; same gtbank. It happened on a Saturday, was trying Gtbank customer care for 2hrs before i could reach one of their Customer care Rep and at that point 30k was out of my acct + plus the 1k recharge on my sim(ofcos i saw the remaining bal on retrieving my sim).
requested for camera footage because they used cashless withdrawal but I had to give up when i couldn't see the faces of the criminals.

one lesson i learnt was to have called my line's customer care agent immediately it happened.

1 Like

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Bakrabas: 12:58pm On Jul 10, 2018
There are some banks that wouldn't ask you pin number if only you want to recharge your registered sim through the same sim.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Partnerbiz(f): 7:02pm On Jul 10, 2018
elfico:

You don't have to name the bank. Those using the app knows its Access bank.
Asides other security measures, the name of your account officer is on that app. Just note it down and call them when you lose your sim. Sorry for your loss.

Name of account officer on app?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Partnerbiz(f): 7:03pm On Jul 10, 2018
elfico:

You don't have to name the bank. Those using the app knows its Access bank.
Asides other security measures, the name of your account officer is on that app. Just note it down and call them when you lose your sim. Sorry for your loss.

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Partnerbiz(f): 7:08pm On Jul 10, 2018
einsteine:

You keep talking about bvn, bvn. It's not by BVN.

You can carry out transactions in several banks once you have the alert sim in hand. Even if you introduce a password (how would you do this by the way? Choose a password at point of registration?) for checking BVN, incidents like this would still occur. Your phone number is more important than your BVN. I heard of a case someone's 20 million naira was stolen when the sim was retrieved behind his back. OTPs come to your sim. There are applications that allow you to directly debit a bank account, all you need is the alert sim and the otp which of course goes to the alert sim.

In your case, it was probably your line they recharged. You don't really need a pin to recharge your personal line registered with any bank. They recharged your line and transferred the credit to themselves.

How did they get the airtime transfer pin?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by einsteine(m): 9:31pm On Jul 10, 2018
Partnerbiz:

How did they get the airtime transfer pin?

Many people don't set their transfer pins because they don't use the feature.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by leunamme93(m): 11:13pm On Jul 10, 2018
einsteine:

Many people don't set their transfer pins because they don't use the feature.

I did set a pin, "A COMPLEX ONE" the whole thing is way more complex when you understand that both network carriers and banks still have a long way to with security.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by leunamme93(m): 11:14pm On Jul 10, 2018
BTW it seems MTN staffs are on strike nationwide..
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by leunamme93(m): 11:17pm On Jul 10, 2018
einsteine:

You keep talking about bvn, bvn. It's not by BVN.

You can carry out transactions in several banks once you have the alert sim in hand. Even if you introduce a password (how would you do this by the way? Choose a password at point of registration?) for checking BVN, incidents like this would still occur. Your phone number is more important than your BVN. I heard of a case someone's 20 million naira was stolen when the sim was retrieved behind his back. OTPs come to your sim. There are applications that allow you to directly debit a bank account, all you need is the alert sim and the otp which of course goes to the alert sim.

In your case, it was probably your line they recharged. You don't really need a pin to recharge your personal line registered with any bank. They recharged your line and transferred the credit to themselves.

All i'm doing here is to create awareness, people should know whats happening in the system.

I have a personalized pin, how come where they able to transfer airrtime out from my sim?
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by leunamme93(m): 11:18pm On Jul 10, 2018
newbie2018:

you have the recharge recipients phone number, the NCC should be able to provide enough Information to curb that thief down.

also try doing your own investigations, try to see how to get maybe trucaller info or whatsapp or text messaging, use a lady to set the number owner up for a meeting or something and nab him.

GL

Thanks. I will try my possible best.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by leunamme93(m): 11:21pm On Jul 10, 2018
Lufthansa:
@leunamme93 sorry about ur ordeal. I will suggest u tag the concern bank on twitter as it will not want her name soiled. Possibly ask ur followers to help retweet.

2ndly, I will advise you lodge the complain with CBN. They have their office smwhere on the island. Someone on this platform narrated how close to 300k was moved out of his acct by scammers while his bank was naive on taking action. It was after he lodged his complain with the cbn that his case was treated and the money credited back to his acct.

Thank you.
Access bank already told me there's nothing i can do and that they are sorry. I would have been surprised if they said anything other than that.
I will go the social media way.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by leunamme93(m): 11:29pm On Jul 10, 2018
OgogoroFreak:
You are a silly person... Let me explain..

1. You didn't use a password on your sim.

2. You didn't rush to your bank to remove that number from your account.

3. Why would you use sim card not registered by you? You even went further to prove your stupidity by linking it to your bank account.

If you were close by, I would have knock your head heavily till tears runs down your eyes.

Thanks for all the ranting, save them for yourself.
First off it happened friday night around 9pm, do you know any bank i could have rushed into as you suggested when its 9pm?
Keep all your knocks, you never know when you might need them for yourself.

3 Likes

Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by elfico(m): 7:20am On Jul 11, 2018
Partnerbiz:

Yes.
update the app and you would see Account Officer on the side bar. Contains the name, phone and WhatsApp number.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by apox: 8:00am On Jul 11, 2018
I had the same experience in the month of May. And I lost 40k from the same airtime purchase.
Its quite sad that the banks and network providers can do little or nothing at all to protect their custormers intrest
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by einsteine(m): 10:05am On Jul 11, 2018
leunamme93:

I did set a pin, "A COMPLEX ONE" the whole thing is way more complex when you understand that both network carriers and banks still have a long way to with security.

True.

Security and convenience are parallel lines. The more secure a system is, the less convenient it is and vice versa. A balance needs to be struck between convenience and security.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Bullhari: 3:24pm On Jul 14, 2018
Stonerobaba:
With the number the credit was transferred to, the perpetrator could easily be nabbed. Just look for a good cop. I know few ones if you need help

I need help. pls.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by RedDistrict: 10:08am On Jul 23, 2018
My phone recently got stolen and the crazy guys got 6k worth of airtime from my acct. The luck i even had was that they did the airtime thing on monday when i went to retrieve the sim (theft happend on saturday evening)

when i retrieved the sim, i got the debit alerts and noticed that that 1k airtime was still left on the sim (prolly they couldn't transfer the 1k on time before the sim activation on my side)

the mtn customer care rep who attended to me saw the numbers and asked what phone i used last, i told her it was an android phone but she said a small phone was used last with my sim which they used in purchasing the airtime.

i use Gt and with Gt, you can get airtime without needing paaswords as far as you have the number to the acct.

Let us all be careful as criminals and scammers are on the prowl

God help us in this country
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by leunamme93(m): 9:04am On Jul 25, 2018
I have deactivated all ussd transactions on my line with my bank, so if you are using the your bank app just deactivate all ussd transactions too.
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by IbrahimDamola: 10:39pm On Dec 17, 2018
seedsower:
As a business person, your bank alert phone should be different from your hotline, using a pin code means that if the person that picks ite intends to power it for you to call back, pin code won't allow that.

Your smartphone should be ur hotline while nokia torchlight should be ur security/bank sim with pin code enabled.

Nobody should know your security phone accept the bank, and during deposit, when ask yur address please don't write your house number (me no even write my street sef) and also use your hotline not security phone number on the teller.

VERY IMPORTANTLY, ENSURE YOU ACTIVATE ALL YOUR ACCOUNT CODES IN OTHER TO CREATE YOUR PIN, OTHERWISE THIRD PARTY WILL DO THAT FOR WHEN YOU LOST YOUR PHONE.

My 1 cent.

Correct guy.

I have 6 accounts, only one has an ATM. My bvn is linked with my Nokia torch kpalasa phone which is not attractive to thieves.

I called all my banks told them to deactivate internet and online banking codes on my phone. Especially my fat accounts. If you type the codes you'll get an 'error, contact your bank' message. No need for long pin activation jamborees.

Sense no go kee me. grin
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by NaijaPress: 9:18am On Sep 11, 2019
There are measures account holders can protect their accounts... https://www.businessplanreviews.com.ng/sole-account-holders/
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2019
How can I lock my sim
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by SOLARPOWER1(f): 11:40am On Sep 27, 2020
faithy314:
Exactly what happened to me,bank is gtb.the guys stole the phone from me in a napep and transferred 30k they bought credits tru my mtn sim then transferred to their numbers which I tracked all n have their numbers.I also have my IMEI phone number for tracking but sarz asking for a fee and that its 50/50 so I just shunned.
As u suggested tho,I have put a phome lock and sim lock.

The one that happend to me two days ago... They actually transfered the money to another account. They didn't do recharge with it... How where they able to do this without my PIN? Could it be somebody close to me that has my pin? Or is this possible without my PIN...Because even me that has the account cannot transfer money without my PIN
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by SOLARPOWER1(f): 11:55am On Sep 27, 2020
brightk:

u ve not told the complete story... Your bank is access bank... i am an access bank customer. if someone tries to do USSD transactions u must apply a security code.

Just say they recharged your line and maybe did share n sell to their respective lines... for you to say they bought airtime for themselves is a big NO for me.. prove me wrong.. i will be waiting

My bank is access bank... They actually TRANSFERED ALL MY MONEY TO A NAMED BANK ACCOUNT
Re: "How N37k Was Debited From My Bank Account Through My Stolen Phone" (Photos) by Mayng01(m): 12:21pm On Sep 27, 2020
Mad one o, this is terrible. Sorry for your loss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Badoo Members Kill Family Of 5 In Ikorodu (Graphic Photos) / How To Identify A Yahoo Plus Guy This Christmas - 10 Ways To Identify / UNILORIN Yahoo Boy To Clear Drainage Over Romance Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.