Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba (6419 Views)

Killings Continue In Mile 12 Hausa-Yoruba Clash / Melaye Appears In Senate In Unusual Attire- Daily Trust / Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by Beaf: 3:41am On Jun 15, 2010
samnaija:

all this muslim northern bleeps are the problem we have in nigeria, even let them be educated they still behave like monkeys. they are so blinded with hatred that they fail to understand their religion . muslims from the west are more down to earth , do and speak with reason , but get a dirty aboki or whatever together and tell to burn churches and humans xtian all in the name of allah (jos). they will do it. bloody dogs. i keep saying this xtians in jos should stand up eradicate them totally, they are devils vessels going around killing seeking blood. if something is not done fast it is from jos naija go split.

Charlie, this is terribly racist. Please tone down.
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by ebere1712: 4:58am On Jun 15, 2010
Africans have been through a lot and continue to suffer the effects of colonization from civilizations lesser than theirs. Deeply entrenched into a very African born person is the notion of freedom. Where there is such a big disparity between rich and poor, liberated and not liberated; you find all this kind of things happening. Folks their is only one God. Be it the Abrahamic version of God, the Igbo version of God or the Islamic version of God, their is only one him and different interpretations of him. Nonetheless, the only reason you see a whole group of people of supposedly a particular version of the religion do outrageous things like this is because of their interpretations of God based on the environment in which they find themselves. So those of you who think there is any such religion that is the religion of God and others aren't may have to think twice. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, though I abhor the marriage of thirteen years old to a much older yerima; if the Muslims people of the North have decided that it is what they want, we can't stop them. They decide what they want not us. The only thing we can do it to devise a way to completely exonerate ourselves from these people (so that we wouldn't be seen in the same light with them). Another thing we should try to do is to try to reduce the educational gap between the north and the south. I think deep inside most most naijas; Christian,Muslim, or atheist, child >ape in the guise of marriage is looks nothing less than malicious. I don't think a fully liberated man (i terms of enlightenment and poverty), would give his daughter out at that outrageous age. These guys prey on the poor and less fortunate; this is also obtainable everywhere in Naija. Right now we arehttp://www.google.com/search?q=bleeped+standing&hl=en&safe=off&tbs=vid:1&start=10&sa=N a sorry nation. He who hath an ear let him hear - Jesus (the holy bible). Nti anughi ihe gwa ishi ka o dere edere; egbupu ishi, nti esoro ya da (itu olu ndi igbo).
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by homerac7: 11:43am On Jun 15, 2010
All these useless aboki looking for tight holes all the time.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

guess wwe need to help yerima. since the guy is in dire need of some hole size he has been looking for in descending order, i guess we should ask for his shaft size so that we can recommend the configurations he would need to achieve his specifications one time. abi wetin una think?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by ud4u: 4:06pm On Jun 15, 2010
He cannot be a law maker and at the same time law breaker. So the law is biding to the common man only. I think NBA makes sense here
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by sevule(m): 4:11pm On Jun 15, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]I am only supporting his right to practise his religion to the letter and to the tenants of  his religion. It would be wrong in the name of democracy to deny a part of the federation of Nigeria the right to practise their religion the way they deem fit.
This right is just like the 1st amendment of the USA Constitution which gives each an every citizen the right to bear arms, practise their religious belief the way they deem fit no matter how weird it might appear to the sedate mind.

If the Gentleman in question has not married in Abuja, he would be free as bird to do what his people have practised for 170 years.

The authority which you so vehemently support were  docile to say the least when an atrocities of such magnitude was committed under their noses, where were they, I bet some of your Towns men and women grace the occasion in Abuja.

. This laxity in upholding the law at the appropriate time rather than waiting for a public out cry by Jonathan who happens to come from your fisherman tribe makes a lot of Nigerians to begin to wonder whether he is really fit to be in that exulted office.[/size]
 From all knowall's posts that I have read, I have come to only one conclusion. The man is a poorly educated bloody idiot that has no idea what he is talking about. How can anybody except the person is mentally deranged(like knowall surely is) compare zamfara with Egypt? Knowall is a complete buffoon to compare the standard of living in zamfara with egypt. If they were truly practising sharia yerima's hand would surely have been amputated by now cos the man is a thief. Or how else can one explain the 100,000 dollar bride price? Where did he get his money from if not Zamfara state treasury? What was yerima's legacy in zamfara? All these dolts that never use their brain but instead let a thieving idiot like yerima dictate what islam is to them. I actually forgot that the North has the highest percentage of illiterates in Nigeria hence let us not be too harsh on knowall,makay and their ilk as they do not have much formal education.
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by Beaf: 4:26pm On Jun 15, 2010
^
Don't mind the paedophile loving id!ot called knowall. Egypt and Zamfara indeed! A state that has just lost 150 children through poor management of the state, while their paedophile ex-governor was "marrying" yet another child.
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by sauwal: 7:20pm On Jun 15, 2010
So much said about a senator as a phedopile what of GAY BISHOPS in U.S and Europe leading in the supposed houses of God?
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by Beaf: 8:23pm On Jun 15, 2010
sauwal:

So much said about a senator as a phedopile what of GAY BISHOPS in U.S and Europe leading in the supposed houses of God?

Let us be concerned with our own country, Nigeria. What can you change in Europe or the US, is that where your village is? Is that where your roots are?
Abeg! angry
In fact, have you ever heard of any paedophile American or European "married" to a 13 year old child that isn't either in jail or castrated (or both)? Have you?
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by samnaija: 10:08pm On Jun 15, 2010
Beaf:

Charlie, this is terribly racist. Please tone down.
u neva see aboki we come burn building were u dey stay, thats why u dey talk. they are all demonic and claiming allah sent them. one illitedrate imam sends them on a killing spree and they dont stop till enough blood is shed, devils vessels all of them. no be god the send na devil, demons
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by KnowAll(m): 8:20am On Jun 16, 2010
From all knowall's posts that I have read, I have come to only one conclusion. The man is a poorly educated bloody  that has no idea what he is talking about. How can anybody except the person is mentally deranged(like knowall surely is) compare zamfara with Egypt? Knowall is a complete buffoon to compare the standard of living in zamfara with egypt. If they were truly practising sharia yerima's hand would surely have been amputated by now cos the man is a thief. Or how else can one explain the 100,000 dollar bride price? Where did he get his money from if not Zamfara state treasury? What was yerima's legacy in zamfara? All these dolts that never use their brain but instead let a thieving  like yerima dictate what islam is to them. I actually forgot that the North has the highest percentage of illiterates in Nigeria hence let us not be too harsh on knowall,makay and their ilk as they do not have much formal education. 

[size=14pt]Nobody compared Zamfara State with Egypt u need to properly get yourself abreast with the issues at hand b4 shamelessly jumping in and taking sides. I would suggest u go and read that piece again.

I will put myself up for trial in Zamfara State OR any other state in Nigeria than succumb to a trial  in Egypt where a sit-tight no nonsense despot has been ruling with an iron fist for 20 years now and still counting  undecided , even  people like Al fayad of the famed Harrods are a pariah in their own country let alone a black muslim from Nigeria,

The tyrannical regime of Mr Mubarak is both the jury, the hangman, and the grave digger in most cases, only a nutter would put his faith in such a person OR a system.[/size]

Talking of where Yerima got his $100,000.00 from, I would also like you to ponder over where the following individuals got their money from.

[size=14pt]

1. IBB with that one in town mansion up the hill in Minna ?  On a General Salary I suppose. 

2. Madame Jonthan was apprehended with over $2million dollars in one of the Nigerian airports, the case has being buried I would like u to tell me where a house wife to a Governor got that money from.  lipsrsealed

3. James Ibori, why is he running from his own shadow if he has noting to hide.  undecided

4. Messers Odili- the man behind the scene and de-facto owner of Arik so I heard? lipsrsealed

5. What happened to the $16 Billion OBJ spent on electricity and yet the country is still wallowing in the darkness. 

6. Tinunbu whose company is collecting ¼ of all income that should be accrued to Lagos State. tongue

7. Or Mr action Governor Messers Fashola who seems to have a penchant of awarding all contracts in the state to just one individual. embarassed/size]\
   undecided

[size=14pt]And many others I don’t want to mention here, if all these men can do wonders with the Tax payer’s fund without regrets or recourse to any higher authority why Yerima should be any different from a system he is a product of I don’t understand. 

Come to think of it $100,000 dollars is rather mundane compared to what some of the morally upright big hitters listed above are commandeering on a daily basis OR AM I missing something. Uhmmmmm undecided[/size]
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by KnowAll(m): 8:34am On Jun 16, 2010
@ KNOWITAL, I'just a pity that come on this forum to talk abt the position of the law, when in fact you have absolutly no clue as to what the Law is in Nigeria. I AS A LAWYER  CAN TELL U THAT U TOTALLY MISSED IT. CAN STAKE MY LIFE YOU ARE NOT A LAWYER, AND I SHOULD D/4 ADVICE THAT YOU STOP PLAYING THE LAWYER. FOR STARTERS, NIGERIAN LAW IS SETTLED ABT THE ISSUES OF A STATE LAW BEING INCONSISTENT WITH A FEDRAL LAW.
You may wish to read the supreme court decision in the case of AG FEDERATION Vs A.G OGUN The Law is that such state law shall be void to the extent of its inconsistency. This we Lawyers call the doctrin of COVERING THE FIELD.

[size=14pt]Where was your type and the whole NBA when Sharia Law was declared as the “numero uno” in 9 states of the federation in 1999. How come everyone of u from Messers CinC President OBJ and his Service Chiefs to toothless NBA, how come u all kept mute about it then.[/size]  undecided
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by KnowAll(m): 9:10am On Jun 16, 2010
Are you now a lawyer? Or are you just extending your foolishness to new heights, because NL is not a law court. What a donkey!
Whether you like it or not, Yerima is a rap!st, child molester. A paedophile! And you are a paedophile lover and child molester.
I am wondering, are you vying to be his next driver, so you can sell your 13 year old sister or daughter to the attentions of Yerima's wrinkly d*ck?   

[size=14pt]If I was a lawyer I would not fear any better than the stick I have already being giving. I doubt if this trial ever comes to Court, I doubt if any sane lawyer would take up the case, not with the way people would hound u out of town.

If I was lawyer I would not take Yerima’s case. The only person who would take his case would have to be an equally fundamental cleric lawyer in which case he might not be the best candidate for the case.

Such individual would be fighting the case on its emotions rather than by the merit or de-merit of the law.[/size]

And you are a paedophile lover and child molester.

[size=14pt]There have never being a history of a 51 year old marrying a 13 year old in my part of the country. I am from the same state as Gani Fawehinmi, I am a crusader for justice, I would implore the full wrath of the law befall Mr Yerima if he has committed a crime.

You calling me a paedophile is a low blow just because I am arguing the position of law. Have it occurred to you that our present President, President Goodluck is also culpable in this case, he being the custodian of law and order for the whole nation.

( A federal law was blatantly and brazenly broken in broad day light in Abuja and no attempt or steps was taking to rectify or instill that justice prevails)

Don’t u think a 51 year old marrying a 13 year old foreign girl under Goodluck’s nose probably less than 3 miles from ASO Rock would put a big question mark on his leadership.

This case is not a one man case but rather a systemic institutional failure of  the different levels of government, from the SSS, to the Immigration, to the Police, to the lawyers in the Ministry of Justice and finally to the Presidency where the buck actually and finally stops.[/size]
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by sevule(m): 9:24am On Jun 16, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Nobody compared Zamfara State with Egypt u need to properly get yourself abreast with the issues at hand b4 shamelessly jumping in and taking sides. I would suggest u go and read that piece again.

I will put myself up for trial in Zamfara State OR any other state in Nigeria than succumb to a trial  in Egypt where a sit-tight no nonsense despot has been ruling with an iron fist for 20 years now, even  people like Al fayad of the famed Harrods are a pariah in their own country let alone a black muslim from Nigeria,

The tyrannical regime of Mr Mubarak is both the jury, the hangman, and the grave digger in most cases, only a nutter would put his faith in such a person OR a system.[/size]

Talking of where Yerima got his $100,000.00 from, I would also like you to ponder over where the following individuals got their money from.

[size=14pt]

1. IBB with that one in town mansion up the hill in Minna ?  On a General Salary I suppose. 

2. Madame Jonthan was apprehended with over $2million dollars in one of the Nigerian airports, the case has being buried I would like u to tell me where a house wife to a Governor got that money from.  lipsrsealed

3. James Ibori, why is he running from his own shadow if he has noting to hide.  undecided

4. Messers Odili- the man behind the scene and de-facto owner of Arik so I heard? lipsrsealed

5. What happened to the $16 Billion OBJ spent on electricity and yet the country is still wallowing in the darkness. 

6. Tinunbu whose company is collecting ¼ of all income that should be accrued to Lagos State. tongue

7. Or Mr action Governor Messers Fashola who seems to have a penchant of awarding all contracts in the state to just one individual. embarassed/size]\
   undecided

[size=14pt]And many others I don’t want to mention here, if all these men can do wonders with the Tax payer’s fund without regrets or recourse to any higher authority why Yerima should be any different from a system he is a product of I don’t understand. 

Come to think of it $100,000 dollars is rather mundane compared to what some of the morally upright big hitters listed above are commandeering on a daily basis OR AM I missing something. Uhmmmmm undecided[/size]
@knowall You have completely missed the point. What you have failed to realize is that Yerima and his ilk have used religion to enslave the North and the same hypocritical dolt called Yerima who would readily use Islam as an excuse for paedophilia swore to uphold the constitution of Nigeria. If he is such a wonderful proponent of Sharia, why did he contest for Senate when he himself has said that he is not to be held liable to Nigeria's laws? ANd what amazes me is how the randy he goat called Yerima can actually lead all of you by the ear just by quoting some Quaranic verses which are open to interpretation by various Islamic schools. Dont you have a brain to reason for yourself instead of allowing yourself to be led by a hegoat? The Mubarak regime that you so disparage has made paedophilia a crime and yet Egypt is about 80% muslim. So stop all the rubbish you people keep on saying that Islam allows it. Answer this simple question, are you any better than the Egyptian muslims that criminalized paedophilia? For goodness sake grow yourself a brain before posting irrelevancies.
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by KnowAll(m): 9:58am On Jun 16, 2010
What you have failed to realize is that Yerima and his ilk have used religion to enslave the North and the same hypocritical dolt called Yerima who would readily use Islam as an excuse for

[size=14pt]Are u saying Fashola /Tinubu with their Voodoo Economics have not made lagosians any poorer and slaves in the slums of lagos, u must hear yourself out. OR better still go and watch welcome to Lagos to refresh your memory.

Or better still OBJ has not enslaved Nigerians despite spending $16 billion dollars of our commonwealth  by covering the whole land in complete darkness to the detriment of all. We are all at the mercy of crazed hoodlums who resort to this dastardly act not because they enjoy it but as a means to an end.

Yerima is the cause of millions of Nigerians enslaving themselves in Europe either as janitors cleaning toilets or as women of easy virtues selling their bodies for a token 1Euro ( I guess that is some money N220.00 when converted to Naira.) I thought IBB was the cause, well I am learning every day.[/size]

The Mubarak regime that you so disparage has made paedophilia a crime and yet Egypt is about 80% muslim. So stop all the rubbish you people keep on saying that Islam

[size=14pt]Mubarak regime has so many juicy conformist laws in its books in theory in practise you are talking of another kettle of fish. [/size]

[size=14pt]This year the number of black Muslims from daafur who has being shot in Egypt whilst trying to cross the border to Isreal are in excess if 100. Muslim brotherhood indeed.

It is only a lunatic who would subject himself to the Egyptian draconian and toture gulag chambers( Even the Americans discreetly export Terrorist to Egypt to be giving inhumane treatment in a process known as extra- ordinary rendition)
. [/size]

Answer this simple question, are you any better than the Egyptian Muslims that criminalized paedophilia? For goodness sake grow yourself a brain before posting irrelevancies

[size=14pt]I think the Nigerian Muslim are better than the Egyptian Muslims because they have a God giving right to choose their leaders and make their own laws. This unsung privilege we take for granted in our country,  millions in Egypt would exchange the fake façade of prosperity for genuine freedom an allusion they aspire to get one day, that one day may never come as Messer Mubarak is already lining up his son for eventual take over.[/size]
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by sojinat(m): 10:12am On Jun 16, 2010
He should father the baby not sexually think of her, What is this mess?
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by trenchcoat: 1:14pm On Jun 16, 2010
I can see dat y'all dat r against Yarima have no idea of wat Islam is all about, y'all ignorant of d religion. Wat can u say about d priest that impregnated d gurl in Benin? How old was she? Wat about d gays and lesbians? Lets be more realistic n not self centered.

Mr. Knowall u have really tried, if I were u I would not utter any word let dem say wat they will say dats their biz!

For guys insulting us, I am not here to trade insults. cool
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by wirinet(m): 2:23pm On Jun 16, 2010
trenchcoat:

I can see dat y'all dat r against Yarima have no idea of wat Islam is all about, y'all ignorant of d religion. Wat can u say about d priest that impregnated d gurl in Benin? How old was she? Wat about d gays and lesbians? Lets be more realistic n not self centered.

Mr. Knowall u have really tried, if I were u I would not utter any word let dem say wat they will say dats their biz!

For guys insulting us, I am not here to trade insults. cool

If you cannot see the outrage against what Yerima has done (and has been doing), then i am sorry for your sense of morality. You are just throwing up irrelevant arguments. What is the connection between a priest impregnating a girl in Benin or anywhere else have to do with child marriage Sale? and how do lesbianism or gays fit into the whole picture.

Yerima says it is his religious injunction to keep buying up small girls and divorcing them when he has satisfied his libido. No Christian had ever come out to say his religion allows him to ra.pe, and no christian had ever come out to support a rape of children by priests(even if it is the Pope).

So because some people choose to be gays means it is justified for Muslims to Buy small girls.

I am sorry to say, but you guys are pathetic, I hope you do not sell off your daughter to the highest bidder in the name of Islam. A woman is a human being and not a commodity to be owned and traded by chauvinistic men.
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by gigy(f): 2:33pm On Jun 16, 2010
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by KnowAll(m): 2:40pm On Jun 16, 2010
If you cannot see the outrage against what Yerima has done (and has been doing), then i am sorry for your sense of morality. You are just throwing up irrelevant arguments. What is the connection between a priest impregnating a girl in Benin or anywhere else have to do with child marriage Sale? and how do lesbianism or gays fit into the whole picture.

Yerima says it is his religious injunction to keep buying up small girls and divorcing them when he has satisfied his libido. No Christian had ever come out to say his religion allows him to ra.pe, and no christian had ever come out to support a despoil of children by priests(even if it is the Pope).

So because some people choose to be gays means it is justified for  Muslims to Buy small girls.

I am sorry to say, but you guys are pathetic, I hope you do not sell off your daughter to the highest bidder in the name of Islam. A woman is a human being and not a commodity to be owned and traded by chauvinistic men.  
 Report to moderator    Logged  

[size=14pt]No one member of the Nigerian ruling class can be resolved from a crime ( I am conceding it as a crime now as u people want me to agree it is a crime) that took place probably 5 miles from where the President, VP, Senate Presidency, Speaker of the House, Service Chiefs, IGP, Immigration, reside to exonerate one is to exonerate all.

The whole lot of them should be tainted with the same brush, they are all culpable of this despicable act.[/size]
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by wirinet(m): 3:21pm On Jun 16, 2010
KnowAll:

Report to moderator    Logged  

[size=14pt]No one member of the Nigerian ruling class can be resolved from a crime ( I am conceding it as a crime now as u people want me to agree it is a crime) that took place probably 5 miles from where the President, VP, Senate Presidency, Speaker of the House, Service Chiefs, IGP, Immigration, reside to exonerate one is to exonerate all.

The whole lot of them should be tainted with the same brush, they are all culpable of this despicable act.[/size]

Report logged to the moderator? wow, you must be really emotional about this issue. I wonder what the complaint entails, because i was really being civil in my assertions.

Maybe you feel i am a Christian insulting Islam in general, first of all this is the Politics section and not the Religious section (islamic), secondly, i have seem far worse insults in this section and in this thread in particular, and lastly, i was referring to your line of reasoning( mistakay, trenchcoat, knowall, etc) and not Muslims in general, because lots of Muslims have come out to condemn what you people are trying to defend (in the name of Islam).

Yes, we ALL condemn despicable acts by the Nigerian ruling class. When OBJ was accused to have slept with his daughter in law, most people came her to call for his head, although we would find a few morally bankrupt few that would give the excuse that it was a family affair.

If you check any thread on Ibori, Bode george, and even Odili, you fill find a lot of people firing at them. Our society cannot improve if we excuse despicable acts by the ruling elite using personal, ethnic, social, political or religious sentiments.
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by Beaf: 5:26am On Jun 17, 2010
KnowAll:

No one member of the Nigerian ruling class can be resolved from a crime ( [b]I am conceding it as a crime n[/b]ow as u people want me to agree it is a crime) that took place probably 5 miles from where the President, VP, Senate Presidency, Speaker of the House, Service Chiefs, IGP, Immigration, reside to exonerate one is to exonerate all.

The whole lot of them should be tainted with the same brush, they are all culpable of this despicable act.

You are conceding it is a crime because you are a fool not to. Perhaps your parents are from Niger, Chad or Sudan which is why you have no respect for the law or concern for Nigerian girl children.

It is either society is surbodinate to the law or we regress to the jungle; no two ways!

Bloody paedophile lover. angry
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by PupetMasta(m): 1:44pm On Jun 18, 2010
People should stop comparing gay bishops to Yerima's pedophile nature. The USA did not outlaw gay people, The bishop is still within the laws of the land, it is left to the church to accept or reject the service of the bishop. For Yerima's case, if it is a right thing to be a pedophile in Islam according to his translation of the Quaran he should have done it in his Islamic state (Zamfara) where it is allowed, but to commit a crime in Abuja (a secular state) and claim the laws of Zamfara is just moronic. He should be tried with the FG law and punished accordingly.

It is just like committing murder in Texas but because Texas still have the death penalty you want the laws of another state (maybe Arizona) to be used.

For thoshose using the gay card, can you remember when California was still one of the first places to legalize gay marriages, there was mass exodus of gay people to California to get married, they did not behave like Yerima and marry in their original state of residence.
Re: Yerima Cannot Continue In Senate, Says Nba by abdulg: 2:44pm On Jun 22, 2010
Islam Does Not Support the marriage of Children [size=8pt][/size]
This act of Senator Yerima has generated a lot of articles and commentaries in the newspapers and on the Internet. Most of these commentaries have focused on the constitution and the law in condemning this immoral, illegal, and unreligious activity of this senator. The suggestion has been made that this man has not committed any offence under Islamic law as it is being suggested that Islam is in favour of paedophilia. This is far from the truth. There's nowhere in the Quran or the Hadith where it is specifically allowed that a child can be married.

The legal and constitutional arguments against this action are very straightforward. The legal provisions clearly require that the minimum age of marriage should be 18. This is covered by the Child Rights Act which Nigeria signed into law in 2003. From the Child Rights Act, 2003; the relevant sections are very clear.

Section 21 states that "No person under the age of 18 years is capable of contracting a valid marriage, and accordingly a marriage so contracted is null and void and of no effect whatsoever.”
Section 22 goes further by stipulating the duty of the parents as follows, in subsection(1), “ No parent, guardian or any other person shall betroth a child to any person”; and in subsection 2 declares that "a betrothal in contravention of subsection (1) of this section is null and void."

Section 23 deals with punishment to be given to persons who contravene this law as follows "A person; (a) who marries a child, or (b) to whom a child is betrothed, or (c) who promotes the marriage of a child, or (d) who betroths a child, commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine of =N=500,000 or imprisonment for a term of five years or to both such fine and imprisonment.

From the above provisions of the Child's Rights Act (2003), there's no question about the fact that Senator Yerima has broken the law.

The argument has been brought forward to that this sort of activity is acceptable in the home state of Senator Yerima; and secondly that Islam has no problem with marriage of children. We can debunk the first argument straight away by the fact that Senator Yerima performed this marriage in the Federal capital Territory rather than his own state. In any case, since this man is a senator of the Federal Republic, making laws for the whole country, it is illegal and wrong for him to make laws that will not apply to him. His position therefore in the Senate has become untenable.

Let us now deal with religious arguments of Senator Yerima's supporters. It is being wrongly assumed that Islam supports child marriages. This is a totally wrong assumption, and is a way for the perpetrators of paedophilia to justify their dastardly act.

Consider the following verse from the Quran,
Verse 4:24 - , “And those of whom ye seek consent (by marrying them), give unto them their portions as a duty. And there is no sin for you in what ye do by mutual agreement after the duty (hath been done). Lo! Allah is ever Knower, Wise.”

This verse talks about commencement of marriage and giving of dowry by the groom to the bride. It is stating that if bride and groom want - they can 'mutually' agree on dowry. Now mutual agreement requires that both parties are mature enough to know what they are doing. Can a child possess this maturity? Does a girl of 13 years old know what she is doing in terms of marriage? The answer is 'No'. The 'mature' aspect of parties is not restricted to marriage only but also to Divorce (2:223) and matters related to Orphans (4:06).
shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why You Should Boycott The Upcoming Nationwide Protest / Breaking News!! 6 Countries Indicate Interest To Merge With Nigeria. Check'm Out / Kaduna Strike: Reinstate Sacked Workers, PDP Tells El-Rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.