Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? (5708 Views)

You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. / God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God / Sexual Orientations And Objective Morality. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by purem(m): 5:11am On Jul 15, 2018
johnydon22:
Is something good because God commands it or does God command it because it is good?

This question is meant to insight deep thought and debate

It's so absurd to subject God in defining what is good, as a matter of fact he sshould be put's aside when you talking about doing good. He makes a man to be dumb for doubting him

Luke 1:13, 18, 20 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.
And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.

When you've done what is good then you kn in your heart that you've done good

Saving someone life is good
Killing someone is bad
Stealing is bad
Returning what doesn't belong to you is good

Defining what is "good" is a simple logic, it's doesn't require subjecting God to it.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 8:57am On Jul 15, 2018
Deo1986:
Au contraire sir.............. Depends on the God you are talking about. Every tribe have been having dealings with their God since time.

Happy Sunday please.
I am a Yorubaman and a Born Again Christian.
There is no difference between Olorun Olodumare and God Al-Mighty. The Two mean the same in all Calculations and Ramifications.
Their Spirits(Angels/Demons), Emin(Iranse/Esu) are equally quantifiable and varied. Au-contrarie or dissimilis conspectus came calling when the erudite(doctus) Otem-Atum of Nairaland started gaming with Greek, Arabic and Egyptian on Yahweh, Allah and Enril on purely English Text on Nairaland.
How would you want me to believe you when you don't even know from where I am coming?
The Bible and Christianity are the most flawless and faultless Book and Teaching that will be until Jesus is back.
Again Happy Sunday !!!
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by johnydon22(m): 9:17am On Jul 15, 2018
purem:

It's so absurd to subject God in defining what is good, as a matter of fact he sshould be put's aside when you talking about doing good. He makes a man to be dumb for doubting him

Luke 1:13, 18, 20 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.
And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.

When you've done what is good then you kn in your heart that you've done good

Saving someone life is good
Killing someone is bad
Stealing is bad
Returning what doesn't belong to you is good

Defining what is "good" is a simple logic, it's doesn't require subjecting God to it.

Alright, so we know good and bad in our heart?

What do you think is the cause of this?

Is this innate sense of good and bad same in everyone?
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by Deo1986(m): 9:27am On Jul 15, 2018
orisa37:

Happy Sunday please.
I am a Yorubaman and a Born Again Christian.
There is no difference between Olorun Olodumare and God Al-Mighty. The Two mean the same in all Calculations and Ramifications.
Their Spirits(Angels/Demons), Emin(Iranse/Esu) are equally quantifiable and varied. Au-contrarie or dissimilis conspectus came calling when the erudite(doctus) Otem-Atum of Nairaland started gaming with Greek, Arabic and Egyptian on Yahweh, Allah and Enril on purely English Text on Nairaland.
How would you want me to believe you when you don't even know from where I am coming?
The Bible and Christianity are the most flawless and faultless Book and Teaching that will be until Jesus is back.
Again Happy Sunday !!!
Happy Sunday to you too, you are suppose to be in church. Anyways I've never communicated with the Otem of a guy. I was only passing through the religion lane when I saw your wranglings over Yahweh/ God etc. But then let me ask this simple question, what was your idea of God as a Yoruba man before the missionaries/ converts came around some 200 years ago? Happy Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by tintingz(m): 11:28am On Jul 15, 2018
Interesting so far.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 12:11pm On Jul 15, 2018
Deo1986:
Happy Sunday to you too, you are suppose to be in church. Anyways I've never communicated with the Otem of a guy. I was only passing through the religion lane when I saw your wranglings over Yahweh/ God etc. But then let me ask this simple question, what was your idea of God as a Yoruba man before the missionaries/ converts came around some 200 years ago? Happy Sunday.

Here we go again wrangling round and round about same Concept.
I know Olorun, Olodumare and Ifa existed long before the Missionaries came to Africa. My Communion regularly with Olodumare informed me that Oduduwa was a Nephilim Holy Spirit Son of Olodumare. So Yoruba Race existed before or at the same time as Adam was created for the Hebrew Race.
God talks to all of us in different ways and we just have to know this. Tell me you haven't experienced God and I know who you really are? I have. That's the difference.
I am in my Chapel answering you right on the Temple of God in the Chapel. So if you don't know what going to Church really means, then the Terbanacle(Temple) of God can never be in you.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 2:35pm On Jul 15, 2018
My Idea has always been that Olorun Olodumare Oduduwa and Ifa are the same as God AlMighty Christ and Bible.
That Oduduwa was a Holy Spirit Nephilim Son of Olodumare.
I have a Chapel in my House. I write all my Posts and Texts there every Sunday. Do you have problems with that?
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by purem(m): 2:36pm On Jul 15, 2018
johnydon22:

Alright, so we know good and bad in our heart?

What do you think is the cause of this?

Is this innate sense of good and bad same in everyone?

"MORAL INSTINCT" Don't know what that means but I do know it's best describe what you asking
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 3:46pm On Jul 15, 2018
johnydon22:

Doesn't that make 'goodness' subjective and arbitrary in essence?
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by johnydon22(m): 5:02pm On Jul 15, 2018
purem:

"MORAL INSTINCT" Don't know what that means but I do know it's best describe what you asking

What do you think is caused of this moral instinct. Are there factors that affect the moral spectrum of our moral instinct or is it same for everyone in the world?
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by purem(m): 6:50pm On Jul 15, 2018
johnydon22:

What do you think is caused of this moral instinct. Are there factors that affect the moral spectrum of our moral instinct or is it same for everyone in the world?

As a fact of subjective code our INSTINCTs is far different from each other

The things your INSTINCT ascribe as being good might totally be bad to another individual's INSTINCT.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by purem(m): 7:04pm On Jul 15, 2018
@johnydon22 this might help

MORAL INSTINCT is An act done by instinct differs from every other kind of act in that an understanding of its object does not precede it but follows upon it. Instinct is therefore a rule of action given à priori. We may be unaware of the object to which it is directed, as no understanding of it is necessary to its attainment. On the other hand, if an act is done by an exercise of reason or intelligence, it proceeds according to a rule which the understanding has itself devised for the purpose of carrying out a preconceived aim. Hence it is that action according to rule may miss its aim, while instinct is infallible.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by sonmvayina(m): 9:55pm On Jul 15, 2018
One basic factor I want to consider in answering this question is Time, and an important one at that..something might be right when I do it today, but not when it is done say on Wednesday....

I think something is good when it does not cause harm or sadness to someone else or nature..

1 Like

Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2018
Concept of Goodness, how does it come about?
Life started on Ground Zero-The Earth. Life develop from on Earth i.e, grow from ground zero. This is considered GOOD as against going down the Earth into oblivion which is opposite to growth and BAD. Therefore, Goodness is Growth, Improvement, Development, Enlargement, Expansion, Giratting and Skyrocketting into the Atmosphere above.
Below the Earth is Pit, Dungeon, Sheol, Hades, Hell and ultimate Death.
Life is Light and Good. Death is Darkness and Bad. Conscience is the main natural meter in Humans where these Concepts of Good and Bad are naturally stocked. So whoever you are, wherever you might come from, these Concepts are naturally built in every Human Conscience(Soul).
When a Baby feels the Heat radiating nearby, he naturally moves away to a cooler region. He knows immediately that Heat is Bad and Coolness is Good. This is how Goodness and Badness are generally known to those who have not known God.
Let there be Light, God said. The first Spirit of God came out.
And The Light was Good, God said. Goodness became the 2nd Spirit.
Let us make Life in Our Image. 3rd Spirit.
So Light was GOOD, Life was GOOD, and GOODNESS became all pervading Spirit of God in Humans.
You have asked, what is Good? Do you know that if you succeed getting answers to this question, you are good, contributing and successful? But if you fail, you are bad, frustrated and a failure?
This is the Christian Angle, 'cos Only God is really Good. God said so about God.
Goodness is one of the 7 Spirits that Jesus Christ won for all Christians on Earth to be remembered with.
The remaining six are, Light, Life, Faith, Hope, Peace and Love.
You might wish to ask, what are these? They are Part of The Goodness of God and The only ways to be like Jesus..
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by sonmvayina(m): 10:09pm On Jul 15, 2018
Qpetz:

And you think such a being will be concerned with morality?

Don't believe him...he doesn't tend to be very honest. He is known for sending prophets and lying spirits to deceive.
------
"Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee. 1 Kings 22:23"

"Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets. 2 Chronicles 18:22"

"Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people. Jeremiah 4:10"

"O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived. Jeremiah 20:7"

"And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet. Ezekiel 14:9"

"For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie. 2 Thessalonians 2:11"
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by sonmvayina(m): 10:11pm On Jul 15, 2018
orisa37:
Concept of Goodness, how does it come about?
Life started on Ground Zero-The Earth. Life develop from on Earth i.e, grow from ground zero. This is considered GOOD as against going down the Earth into oblivion which is opposite to growth and BAD. Therefore, Goodness is Growth, Improvement, Development, Enlargement, Expansion, Giratting and Skyrocketting into the Atmosphere above.
Below the Earth is Pit, Dungeon, Sheol, Hades, Hell and ultimate Death.
Life is Light and Good. Death is Darkness and Bad. Conscience is the main natural meter in Humans where these Concepts of Good and Bad are naturally stocked. So whoever you are, wherever you might come from, these Concepts are naturally built in every Human Conscience(Soul).
When a Baby feels the Heat radiating nearby, he naturally moves away to a cooler region. He knows immediately that Heat is Bad and Coolness is Good. This is how Goodness and Badness are generally known to those who have not known God.
Let there be Light, God said. The first Spirit of God came out.
And The Light was Good, God said. Goodness became the 2nd Spirit.
Let us make Life in Our Image. 3rd Spirit.
So Light was GOOD, Life was GOOD, and GOODNESS became all pervading Spirit of God in Humans.
You have asked, what is Good? Do you know that if you succeed getting answers to this question, you are good, contributing and successful? But if you fail, you are bad, frustrated and a failure?
This is the Christian Angle, 'cos Only God is really Good. God said so about God.
Goodness is one of the 7 Spirits that Jesus Christ won for all Christians on Earth to be remembered with.
The remaining six are, Light, Life, Faith, Hope, Peace and Love.
You might wish to ask, what are these? They are Part of The Goodness of God and The only ways to be like Jesus..

Bull crap

1 Like

Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 4:45am On Jul 16, 2018
sonmvayina:

Bull crap

Good is English Language from The Tower of Babel. The "Orisa" in Yoruba is "Dara" and "Rere" also from TOB. God gave these Languages from TOB.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by festwiz(m): 6:04am On Jul 16, 2018
orisa37:

Good is English Language from The Tower of Babel.
The "Orisa" in Yoruba is "Dara" and "Rere" also from TOB.
God gave these Languages from TOB.
You believe the tower of Babel bullshit? lipsrsealed undecided

It's the 21st century. Look around you and the magnificent skyscrapers everywhere and you still believe that crap? If the tower of Babel incident is true, then god's definitely dead.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 6:15am On Jul 16, 2018
festwiz:

You believe the tower of Babel bullshit? lipsrsealed undecided

It's the 21st century. Look around you and the magnificent skyscrapers everywhere and you still believe that crap? If the tower of Babel incident is true, then god's definitely dead.

It's a Symbol representing more Skyscrapers yet to be built. It's a Bulleye not a bullshit.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by festwiz(m): 6:19am On Jul 16, 2018
orisa37:

It's a Symbol representing more Skyscrapers yet to be built. It's a Bulleye not a bullshit.

What?! undecided
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 8:03am On Jul 16, 2018
festwiz:

What?! undecided

We are getting somewhere and that's GOOD.
Something is good when it is having the right quality, satisfactory, law, valid, adequate, meat, genuine, commendable, right, proper, morally excellent, virtuous, kind, benevolent, well behaved, not giving to trouble, gratifying, agreeable, favourable, advantageous etc etc. They are all sub-Spirits of God answerable to the main Spirit(GOOD). Spirits are Creation of The Supreme Spirit(God).
As Spirits of God, they are made Subjectives in God's Stance and Objectives for Human rating in God's Court of Righteousness, Grace, Purity and Sovereingty.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by tintingz(m): 10:08am On Jul 16, 2018
orisa37:
My Idea has always been that Olorun Olodumare Oduduwa and Ifa are the same as God AlMighty Christ and Bible.
That Oduduwa was a Holy Spirit Nephilim Son of Olodumare.
I have a Chapel in my House. I write all my Posts and Texts there every Sunday. Do you have problems with that?
Stop saying crap.

Olorun is different from Yahweh, thier creation stories are different, the concept of Yoruba religion is different from Jewish/cannanite religion.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 10:52am On Jul 16, 2018
You don't know nothing except crap.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by vaxx: 1:30pm On Jul 16, 2018
Seun:

It’s a meaningless term. To me objectivity and morality are not compatible. Every moral actor or group of moral actors has its own morality. If a sentient creator exists, his morality is just one of many. He judges right and wrong from his point of view, just like all other moral actors e.g. elephants, lions and human beings.

From a lion’s point of view, killing a baby elephant is morally acceptable because they have to kill to eat, but from an elephant’s point of view, lions that kill elephant babies are evil animals that ought to be exterminated.

From the hypothetical creator’s perspective, allowing little children to have cancer or be raped may be right, since he allows these things to happen; because he sees them as his playthings (he is the potter and we are the clay, right?). That doesn’t make those things right from our point of view as decent people. Any human who allows kids to be raped even though he could prevent it, would be condemned as evil by all human beings.

If a creator exists, his morality is just his subjective morality. I do not believe that picking one moral actor’s subjective morality and labeling it as “objective” makes sense.
Goodness and badness, fairness and unfairness and all the terms related to morality have a common criterion and that is: being or not being in harmony with the real goal that the human being has in his life. That objective is the same for all.

so what about animal ?In my opinion, the difference between other species and humans is not that great. It’s clear that animals feel pain and suffering, have active minds, and a desire to live. They may not function at the same capacity as people, but that doesn’t mean they don’t experience the same things we do. The difference is the human desire to separate ourselves from the rest of the animal kingdom. so i disagree with your lion and elephant example.lion family might not be happy feeding on other harmless animal.just like some human family are now vegetarian because they feel eating animal is synonymous to murder.when science develop a mind reader,maybe we will understand this phenomenon better.but as for now.i bet to go with science which classify human and animal as same.

if we accept one principle, that human beings ought not to suffer, we should be able to measure morality objectively, in theory if not in actual practice. we can begin to take the measurements necessary to evaluate morality if we treat its study as a science.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by IndustryEight: 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2018
I guess what I understand from what the OP said was. How do you know something is good or bad, who determines its parameters of validation, is morals subjective or objective, who determines the parameters of morals, why are they morals. If I keep on, we just might continue in this endless loop of paradox. Lemme make something really crystal, " truth " in its neutral form in the case of humans is relative, for instance I am an American and as my culture demands, I shake hands and exchange pleasantries as a sign of goodwill and respect. If I was to marry a Yoruba girl and her culture demands I lie down to greet the family and relatives, Then I on the other hand greeted them the way I was raised without any prior knowledge of how things are done. The family with think of me as a rude and Ill mannered son -in- law "He doesn't have respect for Elders" I on the other hand will feel I have given him all due respect. You see because we stand opposite direction I look from my perspective and see a 6 and you look and see a 9. It doesn't mean you are right or wrong, neither me. It is a neutral thing!
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by orisa37: 5:22pm On Jul 16, 2018
Many Christians, like Atheists, cannot explain The Role of God in Eisenhower and Churchill for being excellent Heads of their Countries nor In Michael Faraday for Electricity.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by winner01(m): 10:48am On Jul 23, 2018
Seun:
Then that is God’s subjective opinion of morality, I guess. Being the creator doesn’t make his positions objectively right.
Let me jus drop this here and run away grin

According to atheist philosopher Richard Taylor: “to say that something is wrong because… it is forbidden by God, is…. perfectly understandable to anyone who believes in a law-giving God. But to say that something is wrong… even though no God exists to forbid it, is not understandable… The concept of moral obligation [is] unintelligible apart from the idea of God. The words remain but their meaning is gone”.

I see too many words in this thread.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by CoolUsername: 6:27pm On Jul 23, 2018
I think 'good' is determined by general human consensus. That explains the different moral zeitgeists that we can observe throughout history. What is seen as normal today may be seen as deeply offensive in the future or vice versa. As society continues to advance and face new moral challenges it would adapt and morality would evolve.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by johnydon22(m): 7:30pm On Jul 23, 2018
CoolUsername:
I think 'good' is determined by general human consensus. That explains the different moral zeitgeists that we can observe throughout history. What is seen as normal today may be seen as deeply offensive in the future or vice versa. As society continues to advance and face new moral challenges it would adapt and morality would evolve.

Morality today doesn't really have a general human consensus. it is more so, localized. Gay marriage is still morally abhorrable in Africa and not in America
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by CoolUsername: 7:58pm On Jul 23, 2018
johnydon22:

Morality today doesn't really have a general human consensus. it is more so, localized. Gay marriage is still morally abhorrable in Africa and not in America

Sure, every culture would have its own nuances because we are in different environments but doesn't mean that the dominant one wouldn't eventually infect others, it took about a century before most civilized nations started allowing women to vote.

As long as we consume their media, their ideas would slowly infect our culture. Hell, even happened to me; the same media that made me question my views on religion also made question my views on lgbt rights. I'm sure twenty years from now the conversation on this topic will be very different. And this isn't wishful thinking, I've personally witnessed the discussion on religion change steadily over the past five years.
Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by Seun(m): 10:03pm On Jul 25, 2018
winner01:
According to atheist philosopher Richard Taylor: “to say that something is wrong because… it is forbidden by God, is…. perfectly understandable to anyone who believes in a law-giving God. But to say that something is wrong… even though no God exists to forbid it, is not understandable… The concept of moral obligation [is] unintelligible apart from the idea of God. The words remain but their meaning is gone”.
Who is Richard Taylor and when and where did he make that statement, and in what context? If the quote is not a complete lie, then he was just trying to explain the theistic way of thinking. All those dot dot dots in the quote are there for a reason: to mislead lazy busy readers.

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? by MrPresident1: 10:22pm On Jul 25, 2018
johnydon22:

Morality today doesn't really have a general human consensus . it is more so, localized. Gay marriage is still morally abhorrable in Africa and not in America

Does doing unto others what you would want them do unto you have any subjectivity? On what premise is the abhorrence of homosexuality built? If the whole world (or a sizeable part) turns gay, what is the implication for the future of the human race?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

30-day Back-2-basics Bible Digest >>> Viaro, Aletheia, &other Christian Teachers / An Invitation To A Theological Discuss On One Corinthians Chapter Four / How God Changed My Genotype From SS To AA...| Favour Orji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.