Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die (28724 Views)

With The NIN Synchronisation In Place, What Happens To Number Recycling? / What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? / "It's Time To Delete Your Facebook Account" - Brian Acton, Whatsapp Co-founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by Nairalandmentor(m): 8:51am On Jul 13, 2018
LOL
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by zeeker(m): 8:52am On Jul 13, 2018
Some people still wish you happy birthday and say LLNP.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by mediagenius: 8:52am On Jul 13, 2018
It will be inherited, just put it in your WILL

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by godunia(m): 8:53am On Jul 13, 2018
facebook has taken care of this...go to setting" Manage Account
Your Legacy Contact
A legacy contact is someone you choose to manage your account after you pass away. They'll be able to do things like pin a post on your timeline, respond to new friend requests and update your profile picture. They won't post as you or see your messages. Learn more.

Choose a friend
Add
We'll send your legacy contact an email explaining what this means. You'll also have the option to send them a message right away. They won't be notified again until your account is memorialized."
NOW YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER

3 Likes

Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by frank317: 8:53am On Jul 13, 2018
I lost my fiance in Benin Ore tanka explosion in 2013. It was a horrible experience and people went to her face book page to send express their pain.
The thing was that I helped her set up the account but didn't remember the password, I would have gone to close it.
She died in April and her birthday was November... Facebook sent me a reminder and it was like the devil was mocking me. I deleted her account and since then facebook blocked me from anyway I could see her trace on facebook. That's was much much better... Rest in piece my sweet angel.

3 Likes

Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by israelmao(m): 8:54am On Jul 13, 2018
Let's take it from a deceased that had a bank account,how does family have an access to his or her account?I think Facebook users should provide account beneficiaries in the event of death.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by MensIssuesNg: 8:54am On Jul 13, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by kaymandak(m): 8:56am On Jul 13, 2018
Why my wife and kids would have my p/w known to them, including my ATM card's pin.
They can easily delete my account and withdraw my dole.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by Nobody: 8:57am On Jul 13, 2018
Two things happen: You can tell Facebook in advance to close your account when you die. But, ofcourse, someone must notify them of your death.

You can also designate a "legacy contact" person to keep and update your account, as a caretaker. All this can all be setup under the "security setup" feature of your Facebook account.

Read here
https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2015/02/adding-a-legacy-contact/
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by cana882(m): 8:57am On Jul 13, 2018
ciopnigeria:
What happens to your bank account and secret savings when you die?
the bank will claim it
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by frowland(m): 9:00am On Jul 13, 2018
KingLennon:
This question have been bothering me too. Here in Nigeria, if you die scammers use ur account to scam people grin

If you die, not me.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 13, 2018
Hey, there is a place in the setting where you can choose someone to take care of account or close it when you die.

I added my sister in my one. It was funny the day I did it, she got a notification that I have chosen her to take care of my account when I die, the babe rang my phone immediately and pleaded with me not to die, LMAO. I told her to calm down, I'm not going anywhere. I just wanted someone I love and trust to take care of my account when I finally ascend into heaven in 90 years' time.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by tete7000(m): 9:05am On Jul 13, 2018
I think it is possible to give someone access and permission to deactivate your account for you once you are gone. That is if you know when you are going to die.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by bularvz: 9:08am On Jul 13, 2018
Friends should send a message to Facebook informing them of your demise
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 13, 2018
St. Peter will request for your facebook login details at the pearly gates to determine whether you enter heaven or GO TO HELL! grin

2 Likes

Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by thedondada(m): 9:15am On Jul 13, 2018
KingLennon:
This question have been bothering me too. Here in Nigeria, if you die scammers use ur account to scam people grin

Really?
When they use living people to scam.os the dead one they would fear.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by greggng: 9:17am On Jul 13, 2018
Gizmomachine:
Ever wonder What Happen To Your Facebook Account After You Die? This is a question that has been trending in Germany after a court ruling. While Facebook, a popular social media platform has millions of users over the world, many do not know what happen to an account after the user dies.

Under Facebook terms of service, it isĀ illegal for a user to give someone else his login details to access his or her account. Since sharing your password and login details is against the platform rules, when a user dies, Facebook automatically has total control over the user's digital content. What Facebook those, is that it will convert your account to a memorial page after ones die on the request of a family member. To change all that, a German court has delivered a ground breaking ruling that awards the content rights to a family member.

The new law came after a German family sued Facebook over ownership of their daughters Facebook account. The court ruled in favor of a young girl's family saying the parent has the right to the content and also has the right to do whatever they wish with the account. The ruling not only granted the family access to the account, but also inherit to the little girl's digital data. While we wait to see how this works in Nigeria, the new rule is currently applicable to only Facebook users in Germany.

So what do you think should happen to a user Facebook account after they die, should the family be granted access to the account or should Facebook just deleted the page. Please share your thoughts

Source: https://www.gizmolad.com/2018/07/what-happen-to-your-facebook-account-after-you-die/

They should allow their spirit to be operating forever.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by AreaFada2: 9:22am On Jul 13, 2018
A social media friend who died, their account is still there. 5 or 6 years on.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by Shevmaen(m): 9:24am On Jul 13, 2018
It goes to the next of kin...
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by ikorodureporta: 9:32am On Jul 13, 2018
Yr profile remains, bt i think it shld b made to deactivate due to non-posting. Atimes i see some ppl still posting 'Happy Birthday' on a dead's profile.

D good side abt being active is that some info could be retrieved there
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by Apple2: 9:35am On Jul 13, 2018
For me? I will want my account to remain active so my great grandchildren and possibly Generation will always see my pictures and my posts to have idea how I look like and sense of humor, is a good thing. No one will need to explain to them anything, they can always know it their self
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by benjanny(m): 9:44am On Jul 13, 2018
It also baffle me,I have a friend and an uncle who died few years ago and I still have them as friends on my Facebook friends
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by Ezniteadin(m): 9:45am On Jul 13, 2018
Honestly. This is one reason i had to close my Facebook account. It will be devastating to image the feeling of loosing a loved one whose password you cannot access only to have a facebook page available when they are gone.

I though of it and i had to close down my facebook, but sometimes Temptation makes me reopen it for a while and re-close it again

this routines is constant with my facebook page

who knows when man go pai?

the most important thing is to die Trusting Jesus
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by DaCharis2016: 9:49am On Jul 13, 2018
I think it should be on default for Facebook to control, except a family member requests the control should be transferred.

I had a friend who died and up to date not many of his friends on facebook are aware he's no more. In this case, I think facebook should have a better way of confirming someones death and automatically turning it into a memorial page. And wait until a request from a family member to take over control.

What do you think
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by emmanuelpopson(m): 9:52am On Jul 13, 2018
even after deactivation..Facebook still have access to your data..but my fear is hackers getting access to such account and using it for their nefarious activity...
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by petbam: 9:52am On Jul 13, 2018
ur children will inherit it.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by fredoooooo: 9:55am On Jul 13, 2018
Their manhood live on in patience Jonathan voice
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by dontel(m): 10:04am On Jul 13, 2018
Liable to inherit.
Re: What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 13, 2018
It will only turn to a memorial page if someone close to you reports and can prove your death to them. The person can also choose to have it permanently deleted. Otherwise it remains like the millions of other dormant profiles on FB.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oppo Reno3 Pro Unboxing, First Impressions And Long Term Review + Price (photos) / Pimping The Swagger ****s60v5 / 10 Reasons To Dump Apple Iphone For An Android Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.