Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,833 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration (12284 Views)

Full Text Of Ambode's World Press Conference (Video) / Kemi Adeosun's Resignation Letter (Full Text) / Delegates Fight During Buhari’s Speech At APC Convention (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by PassingShot(m): 3:53pm On Jul 17, 2018
KEYNOTE ADDRESS DELIVERED BY HIS EXCELLENCY MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, ON THE OCCASION OF THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION OF THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT, THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS
TUESDAY, 17TH JULY, 2018

Protocols:

I am honoured to be with you here today to celebrate the anniversary of this vital global institution. I say "vital" because the world needs the ICC.

2. Let me start by congratulating you, Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji, on your election as President of the International Criminal Court, and also thank the judges of the Court for electing you, a cherished son of Nigeria. Nigeria is very proud of you, Mr. President.

3. Let me also express my gratitude to the International Criminal Court for inviting me to speak on this occasion.

4. As we know, the International Criminal Court was established twenty years ago as a global court, inspired by the Nuremberg trials of World War II war criminals, to hold people accountable for crimes against humanity, war crimes, crimes of genocide and aggression.

5.​In addition to preventing impunity, promoting adherence and respect for the rule of law and fundamental freedoms worldwide and to punishing those in leadership positions responsible for the most appalling crimes and atrocities, the ICC has given hope for justice to so many, by demanding strict adherence to the rules of international humanitarian law.

6.​With the alarming proliferation of the most serious crimes around the world, the ICC, and all that it stands for, is now needed more than ever, in ways that were unforeseeable to its founders. The ICC may have been created at a time of optimism that it would not need to be utilized frequently, but, unfortunately, the increase in international crimes has only increased the Court’s relevance.

7.​Indeed, while limits on the ICC’s jurisdiction mean that it cannot presently act with regard to some of the dire crises of the day in states that are not parties, by acting where it can, the ICC reinforces the demand for justice far beyond its own cases.

8.​A strong and effective ICC has the potential to send a powerful message about the international community’s commitment to accountability, a message that will be heard by both victims and perpetrators. Equally, a strong and effective ICC demonstrates the international community’s commitment to the rule of law.

9.​A strong and effective ICC can also act as a catalyst for other justice efforts, expanding the reach of accountability. These could include serious cases of corruption by state actors that severely compromise the development efforts of countries and throw citizens into greater poverty. These could also include cases of illicit financial flows where countries are complicit and obstruct repatriation of stolen assets. As the African Union Champion on Anti-corruption, these are issues dear to my heart.

10.​The Rome Statute created more than a court; it created the outline for a system of justice for horrific crimes rooted first in national courts doing their job, and where they fail to do so, the ICC stepping in only as “the court of the last resort”

11.​The ICC also needs increased cooperation and financial resources from its member states. State parties should express their commitment to increasing efforts in these areas, including pledging concrete assistance.

12.​The twenty years of the Court’s existence have witnessed several challenges, some of which had threatened the very existence of the Court itself. Most notable were the withdrawals and threats of withdrawals of membership of the Court by some States, as well as accusations of bias in the exercise of the jurisdiction of the Court. Thankfully, the Court has addressed these challenges in a dignified and commendable way.

13.​Nonetheless, the Court needs to take on board all constructive criticisms and allay lingering fears and concern through targeted messaging, awareness raising and possible modification of some legal provisions. If properly articulated, communication and awareness raising would surely engender trust and encourage greater cooperation of Member States with the Court and even encourage non – Member States to decide to become Members. It must avoid even a hint of bias or political motivations.

14.​The goals and responsibilities of the Court are no doubt very challenging and daunting but with the cooperation of all, coupled with the high caliber of Judges and staff of the Court, the challenges are not insurmountable. I therefore urge all States not to politicize the decisions of the Court but to always bear in mind the rationale for the establishment of the Court in the first place.

15.​I urge all States that have not yet done so to, as a matter of deliberate State policy, accede to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court so that it can become a universal treaty.

16.​Nigeria has cooperated with, and supported the Court at all times. This, we have demonstrated by our full and transparent cooperation on matters on which we are being investigated and also in our several Country statements at the sessions of the Court. Our cooperation with the Court is borne out of our strong belief in the respect for the rule of law and human rights, and in our firm commitment to the sanctity of fundamental freedoms at international and domestic levels, as ingrained in the objectives for establishing the Court.

17. In conclusion, let me intimate you that Nigeria is preparing to conduct general elections in 2019. Contrary to the tragic incidents that characterized the 2011 general elections in Nigeria which necessitated preliminary investigations by the International Criminal Court, I assure you that all hands are on deck to prevent any recurrence of such tragic incidents. We shall do everything possible to ensure that Nigeria witnesses the conduct of free, fair and peaceful elections in 2019.

18. Again, I congratulate the Court on its 20th Anniversary and wish it continued growth, relevance and success in the years to come in its vital role as a bulwark against man's inhumanity to man.

Thank you for your attention.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2190525307894324&id=1528952840718244

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by PassingShot(m): 3:55pm On Jul 17, 2018
See flexing to the annoyance of haters grin

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by PassingShot(m): 4:04pm On Jul 17, 2018
I guess the powers that be don't think this deserves to be at the fp. Ok nah, continue.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by madridguy(m): 4:04pm On Jul 17, 2018
I am proud of you my able President, Abu Zahra.

9.​A strong and effective ICC can also act as a catalyst for other justice efforts, expanding the reach of accountability. These could include serious cases of corruption by state actors that severely compromise the development efforts of countries and throw citizens into greater poverty. These could also include cases of illicit financial flows where countries are complicit and obstruct repatriation of stolen assets. As the African Union Champion on Anti-corruption, these are issues dear to my heart.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 17, 2018
Buhari talking about Human Rights abuse? Wonders shall never end grin

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by buhariguy(m): 4:12pm On Jul 17, 2018
OK

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by Chiedu4Trump: 4:25pm On Jul 17, 2018
The Blood of Christians are on the hands of Buhari & his Fulani bros!

Thank God for Trump warning Buhari about the Killings of Christians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ntPm8rB8s

4 Likes

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 17, 2018
Buhari is a terrorist.

7 Likes

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by tstx(m): 4:25pm On Jul 17, 2018
i'd read my brothers engineering maths text book

see my signature

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by sirzent(m): 4:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
madridguy:

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by HajimeSaito(m): 4:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
grin

17. In conclusion, let me intimate you that Nigeria is preparing to conduct general elections in 2019. Contrary to the tragic incidents that characterized the 2011 general elections in Nigeria which necessitated preliminary investigations by the International Criminal Court, I assure you that all hands are on deck to prevent any recurrence of such tragic incidents. We shall do everything possible to ensure that Nigeria witnesses the conduct of free, fair and peaceful elections in 2019.

We all know who was responsible for instigating those "tragic incidents" in 2011. The man who swore that Nigeria would be "ungovernable" if he was not elected as President. The man who moved almajiris to kill many innocent youth corpers who were only doing their jobs as auxillary INEC staff.

6 Likes

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by BafanaBafana: 4:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
Walahi this is too much!
What will haters say now?
Aren't these the judges that are supposed to be persecuting him. See the way they are all struggling to take pictures with Buhari.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by akanbiebenezer(m): 4:27pm On Jul 17, 2018
grin bullhari
Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by tstx(m): 4:27pm On Jul 17, 2018
The illiterate President... Who has never written a speech in his life

see my signature

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by laffwitmi: 4:27pm On Jul 17, 2018
Nice one from baba

Mr integrity and infrastructure...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by Lordofthewest(m): 4:28pm On Jul 17, 2018
Igbos must be really bitter now that ICC too has disappointed them
PassingShot:
See flexing to annoyance of haters grin

13 Likes

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by tstx(m): 4:28pm On Jul 17, 2018
Reading the speech was a struggle for him... This I'm sure of

see my signature

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by BafanaBafana: 4:31pm On Jul 17, 2018
HajimeSaito:
grin

We all know who was responsible for instigating those "tragic incidents" in 2011. The man who swore that Nigeria would be "ungovernable" if he was not elected as President.
45k for you if you can quote a reliable source on when he said that.
In moments like this, just keep quiet let your pains subside.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by chrisxxx(m): 4:36pm On Jul 17, 2018
ssd
Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by HajimeSaito(m): 4:37pm On Jul 17, 2018
BafanaBafana:

45k for you if you can quote a reliable source on when he said that.
In moments like this, just keep quiet let your pains subside.

If I feel pain for the innocent lives lost in 2011 and still being lost in Benue, Taraba, Plateau etc then that makes me human. Unlike you, I have no intentions of becoming an unfeeling and unsympathetic animal.

4 Likes

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by adekS1(m): 4:38pm On Jul 17, 2018
I believed this is a calculated effort to ensure there is peace in d forthcoming 2019 general election bearing in mind d kind of person buhari is n d trouble he caused in 2011....making he come use his mouth to assure them

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by chrisxxx(m): 4:39pm On Jul 17, 2018
PassingShot:
See flexing to the annoyance of haters grin
You know you dont have a good product that is why you always believe there could be haters.

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by vedaxcool(m): 4:39pm On Jul 17, 2018
grin grin we IPoB juwus are very unhappy with this, will protest till cownu bring back our senses.

3 Likes

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by jinikofeye: 4:41pm On Jul 17, 2018
Become a Certified Web Developer in 8 Weeks With 100% Training. Get Started NOW!

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 17, 2018
vedaxcool:
grin grin we IPoB juwus are very unhappy with this, will protest till cownu bring back our senses.
grin grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by jinikofeye: 4:45pm On Jul 17, 2018
Become a Professional Motion Graphics Designer in Just 8 Weeks With 100% Training. Get Started NOW!

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by NaijaBlend: 4:47pm On Jul 17, 2018
You are going there by 2019!
You hand is full of innocent blood you killed.
Shame!!!!
Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by heddiebanks(m): 4:47pm On Jul 17, 2018
madridguy:

Are u mad?

1 Like

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by budusky05(m): 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2018
Buhari Silent but steady, ipob no go like this news at all.

2 Likes

Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by budusky05(m): 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2018
heddiebanks:

Are u mad?

Am sure ur worst than buhari wen it comes to madness.
Re: Full Text Of Buhari's Speech At The ICC 20th Anniversary Celebration by zeeboss(m): 5:13pm On Jul 17, 2018
HajimeSaito:

If I feel pain for the innocent lives lost in 2011 and still being lost in Benue, Taraba, Plateau etc then that makes me human. Unlikpe you, I have no intentions of becoming an unfeeling and unsympathetic animal.

Fallacy

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osinbajo On A Condolence Visit To Pa Fasinro’s Family And Pastor Olorunnimbe / Nigerian Senators, Reps To Pocket N23․7 Billion As Gratuity, Allowances / Compressed Video’ Tendered At Tribunal Fails To Prove Akpabio’s Claim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.