Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,621 members, 7,813,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate (41897 Views)

UNIUYO Student Buries Mum On Friday, Killed By Roommate On Saturday / Uniosun Student’s Ear Bitten Off By Her Roommate (Photos) / Nigerian Lady With Big Backside Teaching Students, Gets Mixed Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Nobody: 6:20am On Jul 23, 2018

From Lailasnews.com:

A Nigerian student at the Georgia Southern University ‘accidentally’ received a racist text message from her new college roommate, Courtney Schaefer.

According to reports online, Nwamaka had been paired with Schaefer for the next semester so she decided to reach out and send her new roomie a friendly hello text message.
Only for things to go left.

After Nwamaka’s innocent, introductory text message, Schaefer exchanged pleasantries with her soon-to-be roommate and shared a laugh over accidentally calling one another.

Then the unexpected happened.

Another message popped up on Nwamaka’s phone stating “her insta looks pretty normal not too niggerish.”

Realizing she had sent her message to the wrong person, Schaefer immediately apologized to Nwamaka, claiming that her phone auto-corrected the word “triggerish” to the racial slur.

“OMG I am so sorry! Holy crap. Damn spell check I did NOT mean to say that,” she wrote back hastily.

“I was texting Hannah and I meant to say triggerish meaning like you seemed really cool nothing that triggered a red flag! I’m so embarrassed I apologize!”

The screenshots sparked outrage nationwide. Thousands of users flooded Twitter, demanding Georgia Southern University to take action against Schaefer and either suspend or expel her from campus. Many called for her removal from the swim team as well.

Source - https://lailasnews.com/see-viral-racist-message-courtney-schaefer-georgia-southern-sent-nigerian-lady/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:21am On Jul 23, 2018
This is nothing.
What if she is right about her auto-correct?!
They both sound so nice and courteous to each other.
It is the Aproko friend that puts this online that caused all the brouhaha!

Oan, not all of them are racist.......

109 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by delugajackson: 6:45am On Jul 23, 2018
Lying motherfuka. People blame every "conscious typo" on auto-correct these days.

This is clearly one of the disadvantages of gossiping. Only dumb people will fail to realize that she actually meant to say "niggerish" and not "triggerish." She's only embrassed the message was delivered to the person in question and not her aproko friend.

66 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Leopantro: 6:51am On Jul 23, 2018
post=69622031:
This is nothing.
They both sounds so nice and courteous.
It is the Aproko friend that puts it online that caused all the brouhaha!

your comment is so triggerish......

sorry, auto-correct.

what i meant was

FALSE!!!

But here’s something I’ve noticed about autocorrect: it usually doesn’t allow you to type, nor will it even correct you to something profane. You know how many times I’ve tried to type “f*ck” in all conjugations and end up with “duck?” More than I can count. So nice try, Schaefer. You texted what you texted and what you texted was some bull.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 23, 2018
Triggerish indeed.

If she wasna found out, she and the Hannah girl would have had a good laugh on top Nwamaka's head.

20 Likes

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by modsfucker: 6:57am On Jul 23, 2018
But she's niggerish na... She said it was a mistake, so accept it and move on

3 Likes

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Young03(m): 6:59am On Jul 23, 2018
oh

1 Like

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:01am On Jul 23, 2018
Leopantro:

your comment is so triggerish......

sorry, auto-correct.

what i meant was

FALSE!!!

Our opinion.
Your opinion.
We respect yours if you don't respect ours.
We cool.

Moreover, her sentence was a compliment overall..
She actually meant well.
More like the white girl saying "the black girl sounds like a very good girl and not a bad one"!
So why all the unnecessary fuss?!

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by amaniro: 7:01am On Jul 23, 2018
I feel tigerish nowcheesy

liar

stupid racist.

Igbo amaka

RACISM WAS NEVER MEANT TO HAPPEN SO YOU DON'T GET A COOKIE FOR REDUCING IT ~CHIMMAMNDA ADICHE.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by amaniro: 7:03am On Jul 23, 2018
cool besides that amaka girl ripe oohcheesy
Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 23, 2018
So calling a black person black is racism
Blacks are the most hypocritical people on earth.
We bleach our skin to look light and afterwards start screaming black is beautiful. Have you ever heard a Japanese saying Asian is beautiful?
What's even wrong with someone referring to you as black? Are you not black?

11 Likes

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Leopantro: 7:15am On Jul 23, 2018
post=69622576:

Our opinion.
Your opinion.
We respect yours if you don't respect ours.
We cool.

Moreover, her sentence was a compliment overall..
More like the white girl saying "the black girl looks like a very good girl and not a bad one"!
So why all the unnecessary fuss?!

okay.

if you still don't see what the fuss is all about, read this.
Now, ( talking like a psychiatrist) how does this make you feel?
And the number of likes that the comment got?
how does it make you feel?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:19am On Jul 23, 2018
Leopantro:

okay.

if you still don't see what the fuss is all about, read this.
Now, ( talking like a psychiatrist) how does this make you feel?
And the number of likes that the comment got?
how does it make you feel?
Ok man.
Noted.
Make we leave am for am.
SAY NO TO RACISM AND TRIBALISM is what we advocate for ALWAYS.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by phemmyfour: 7:25am On Jul 23, 2018
post=69622031:
This is nothing.
They both sounds so nice and courteous.
It is the Aproko friend that puts it online that caused all the brouhaha!

That has nothing to do with auto correct. It was deliberate

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by SheikhMuniru(m): 7:47am On Jul 23, 2018
YOU BETTER COME HOME
Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 23, 2018
FlirtyKaren:
A Nigerian student at the Georgia Southern University ‘accidentally’ received a racist text message from her new college roommate, Courtney Schaefer...

Another message popped up on Nwamaka’s phone stating “her insta looks pretty normal not too niggerish.”

Realizing she had sent her message to the wrong person, Schaefer immediately apologized to Nwamaka, claiming that her phone auto-corrected the word “triggerish” to the racial slur.

“OMG I am so sorry! Holy crap. Damn spell check I did NOT mean to say that,” she wrote back hastily.

“I was texting Hannah and I meant to say triggerish meaning like you seemed really cool nothing that triggered a red flag! I’m so embarrassed I apologize!”

Auto-correct indeed

So the programmers installed such a word on their software?

Please!

Her embarrassment seems to be because her message fell into the wrong hands

In any case, Nwamaka should do well to keep her head up and refuse to be defined by "auto-correct" labels

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by qanda: 7:48am On Jul 23, 2018
We can only hope to see the end of Racism. More reason why we need to build Nigeria as a collective.

Have you read 'THE ULTIMATE STUDENT AND GRADUATE JOB HANDBOOK'?
By Gavin F. Redelman, RedStarResume and Bookboon
It contains Everything you need to transition from College Graduate to Job Seeker.

The best guide you’d find as a final year student, serving NYSC member and recent Graduate. Information provided includes how to prepare for life after graduation, factors to consider on next steps after graduation and how to get your first job.
Pages: 62
Size: 3.6Mb

Share the ebook with final year students and recent graduates that you care about. They can access it for free on Q and A App. Link to download Q and A App on Google Playstore
Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 23, 2018
Yea
Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by IMASTEX: 7:50am On Jul 23, 2018
She is already sorry for her action whether or not it was intentional doesn't matter anymore. Just let it pass. And live happily ever after.

3 Likes

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Nobody: 7:51am On Jul 23, 2018
She already apologised so why making a big issue out of It?

Nairaland should ban all RACIST on this forum calling other people Afonja, Igbo, pig, cow, etc

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Sharpshooota: 7:51am On Jul 23, 2018
What is the lady doing over there in the first place...

She should come back immediately jare
We have good skools under Buhari waiting for her
Unimad... Unijos... Unilag etc

Why would they make this go viral anyway
I don't expect this two roomies to live in peace

3 Likes

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Jennifer15(f): 7:51am On Jul 23, 2018
This people self...mtchwww
Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by stano2(m): 7:52am On Jul 23, 2018
As long as am not in Nigeria, this one no be matter at all for me.
I won't bother myself, i go just smile, focus on what i came for

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Valfrankie(m): 7:52am On Jul 23, 2018
She already apologized, so why drag it. Or she just craves the sadistic pleasure of watching her roomie punished? Meanwhile right here on Nairaland, tribalism is a norm and no one even cares

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by ednut1(m): 7:53am On Jul 23, 2018
Are blacks too not racist Abegi move on jor. We all say nasty tins in secret abeg angry grin. Even on nl blacks dey yab demselves based on tribe

11 Likes

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by gare(f): 7:53am On Jul 23, 2018
FlirtyKaren:

From Lailasnews.com:

A Nigerian student at the Georgia Southern University ‘accidentally’ received a racist text message from her new college roommate, Courtney Schaefer.

According to reports online, Nwamaka had been paired with Schaefer for the next semester so she decided to reach out and send her new roomie a friendly hello text message.
Only for things to go left.

After Nwamaka’s innocent, introductory text message, Schaefer exchanged pleasantries with her soon-to-be roommate and shared a laugh over accidentally calling one another.

Then the unexpected happened.

The screenshots sparked outrage nationwide. Thousands of users flooded Twitter, demanding Georgia Southern University to take action against Schaefer and either suspend or expel her from campus. Many called for her removal from the swim team as well.

Source - https://lailasnews.com/see-viral-racist-message-courtney-schaefer-georgia-southern-sent-nigerian-lady/

but she apologized immediately, why cant they let it be, and it was wrong for the Nigerian or the other girl to send the message out for everyone to see, from the conversation she does not sound like someone looking down at her as being black

5 Likes

Re: Racist Message Nigerian Lady Received From Georgia Southern University Roommate by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 23, 2018
Rubbish! white people can not call black people Nigger but but black people calls themselves Nigger all the time!

Nigroes are confused!

Rubbish!!

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why You Should Not Laminate Your Certificate / DELSU Lecturer Humiliated After He Tried Sleeping With A Female Student / If You Need Financial Help For Your Education...orphans Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.