Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,842 members, 7,838,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Racism; A Legal Question. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Racism; A Legal Question. (528 Views)

Read The Speech Of Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe on Racism... / Should We Call This Racism? / Frank Talk About Race And Racism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Racism; A Legal Question. by Kgdavid(m): 5:59pm On Jun 16, 2010
We all no how ugly racism looks and what its ill effects are on society. however, i am of the opinion that a certain level of racism must not be prohibited and to do so infringes on certain human rights. All human beings must be held equal by the sate provided that they are cittizens living within the law. However i think it is wrong to tell the owner of a private enterprise how to run his business. As one of the basic tenets of democracy, your rights extend to such a limit as the point where it begins to infringe on the right of another man. therefore an individual who owns an enterprise should be completely free to run it as he sees fit with minimal governmental interference. this is a tenet of capitalism which is one of the strong features of democracy. therefore to tell a man that he cannot turn away customers of a race he does not like is wrong. it is his business and should be allowed to take such decisions at his own discretion. undeniably racism is morally wrong but legally it should be held acceptable as aristotle said and i quote "the law is reason free from passion". what is the 'reason' in telling the owner of a private company whom to serve? now it has been taken to ridiculous levels where organizations are forced to hire a certain quota of personnel from a minority race. such interference by the government is wrong. does this mean that i would like it if a white man asks me to leave his restaurant? no! but i recognize his right to hate me for no reason. if racism is illegal on moral grounds then by the same reasoning homosexuality should be outlawed. it is a question of the lesser of two great evils, one, a moral evil in the eyes of some of the people or the other, a trend of control and suppression of individual personality of all the people?

(1) (Reply)

Are These Text Message Lotteries Scam Or Fake? / Should Prostitutes Stay Or Go? / Ibori Anti-protest Bribe Money By Delta State Govt Sends Man To Early Grave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.