Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,486 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 (26016 Views)

FG To Abolish Petrol Subsidy Before May 29, Attributes Delay To Election, Census / Tinubu Promises To Abolish Parallel FOREX Market (Video) / BBNaija: CLO Tells Buhari To Abolish Big Brother Naija Reality TV Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by orisa37: 1:38pm On Jul 27, 2018
One man Constitution Drafting Committee, welldone !!!
However, The Senators can be reduced to 2 per State and The House Reps to 5 per State on equality of States.
There should be, in futherance of Restructuring, a Remuneration and Percusites Commission to review the Salaries and Allowances of the three tiers of Governments and their Agencies.
Police have no direct Relationship with The NASS and The Judiciary. All contacts must be signed by Mr. President.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 1:39pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ezniteadin:
Nigerian Youths may never breathe a sigh of relief from the hands of their oppressors if they miss this opportunity to elect Omoyele Sowore as President, This guy is the Last man standing when it comes to Real struggle in Nigeria, Many of his contemporary who fought the Military were Killed and some were imprisoned to death

Sowore is indeed the Last man standing amongst the Unionist of the 80s, who refused to hands down to corruption even when it was profitable to do so,
In the 80s when we were all in school, Sowore made name in all Nigerian Campuses as a notorious incorruptible Student Unionist, in the days when Aluta was Aluta before Obasanjo infiltrated the students with compromiser

Unionist fought the Police to a halt and were feared By the present Oppressor (Police and Government)

Obafemi Awolowo University, University of Lagos, University of Ibadan, University of Benin, University of Calabar and a host of other schools cooperated and were united as a front against the government draconian rule. no one thought that Nigeria will be this down

This same Sowore was a Fire brand known to all union members across the tertiary institution, some of his contemporary were not so lucky, "Africa of OAU " was Killed BY government agent, one of the brightest union Leaders from IFE

Sowore is not confused, He knows what a good system aught to be, If the Youths fail to sue for this Guy, it will take another 100 Years for Nigeria to be Liberated

Mind you all these countries abolished the Senate Bahia, Ceará, Pernambuco, São Paulo (1930), Croatia (2001), Denmark (1953), Egypt (2013), Greece (1935), Hungary, South Korea (1960), Peru (1992), Portugal (1926), Sweden (1970), Turkey (1980), Venezuela (1999) and Mauritania (2017) once possessed upper houses but abolished them to adopt unicameral systems. The have a system far better than the oppressive system called Nigeria

Thanks for this.

We have only one country and I think it's time we spoke truth to power. It's true that it'll mean taking the feeding bottles from 109 but 109 can never be more than 198,000,000 (conservatively).
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by RuthlessLeader(m): 1:40pm On Jul 27, 2018
Silvermoney:

He wouldn't have the powers to do that, that's my point. Only a constitutional amendment can change such things. And it's the same senators that will oversee Constitution amendments so how would he achieve this?
Perhaps you are right. Maybe he should reduce the money they get
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 27, 2018
Less than five hundred people out of a population of a hundred million Nigerians, consume a fifth of the resources belonging to the entire nation.

The Nigerian experience is the most clear-cut definition of injustice in the history of planet earth!

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by RuthlessLeader(m): 1:43pm On Jul 27, 2018
NASTYNASOSO:

HMMMMMMM

YOU SOUND UNEDUCATED.
DOES IT MATTER IF IT EVEN MEANS RULER
YOU CAN EVEN TWIST YOUR NAME AND CALL YOURSELF BASTARD
BUT YOUR ORIGINAL NAME REMAINS
Look at this pathetic idiot. I said what people think almajiri means in the south and you turned it to insult. I don'the blame you. You are a typical nigerian. A hate filled being who wants to insult for every little thing.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 1:43pm On Jul 27, 2018
einsteine:

You tell us how it is possible. We are waiting.

It's as simple as calling for a referendum. If 198,000,000 Nigerians vote to abolish the senate, all 109 of them will have to join the labor market. An advantage is that it'll make the 774 in the house of assembly sit up.

The are our representatives and not the other way around. It's the same reason why constituents can vote to have a senator recalled for poor performance/representation, only in this case, we'll be recalling all 109 of them.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by nextstep(m): 1:49pm On Jul 27, 2018
earnvest:

This is what he has been saying in his interviews. We already have one representative per local government area and that should be enough for us right now.
We have ex governors who see the senate as their retirement home. More than half of the year they are on paid vacation and the other half, they spend in the house praising themselves.

To put things in perspective, a hardworking civil servant who earns #50,000.00 a month has to work for 22 years and 6 months to earn what a Nigerian senator takes home in allowances in a MONTH (#13,500,000.00).

If this doesn't bother Nigerians, well we get the leaders we deserve.

Technically we have one representative per constituency, which usually consists of several LGAs. For instance, my representative, Ms. Hon. Joan Mrakpor represents the 4 LGAS of Aniocha North, Aniocha South, Oshimili North, and Oshimili South.

I agree NASS overpays and they should in all fairness reduce their salaries.

This is different from why we need two chambers. The point is to balance the interests of states with larger populations, against the interests of states with smaller. For instance, Lagos and Kano each have 24 representatives, and could easily override the interests of smaller states like Bayelsa (5) or Ekiti (6). Each state has 3 senators, so their senators balance out those interests to some degree. It's a really good system - though our current crop of senators have been MIA in terms of actually representing their states interests, and in terms of siphoning funds.

Even on the issue of being overpaid, let me play devil's advocate: they spend a lot of that money in Nigeria (their fancy buildings, many cars and drivers, and all the people who derive their pay from them benefit in some way) wink I'm not really serious, but it's a thought experiment.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Ziggylady(f): 1:49pm On Jul 27, 2018
wealth123:
The way people write garbage on nairaland baffles me. Omoyele Sowore was student Union President in Unilag 25 years ago and he went on to establish Sahara Reporter based in the USA. Someone here who has not even achieved anything in life is calling him a clown. This guy and Durotoye should be supported by all to bring an end to all these thieving old politicians. The president of France is just 40 years old. Stop collecting N5k to come and spew garbage on Nairaland.

Sowore is a clown,why should i support him or Durotoye?,because you yorubas say so??...you must be a joker..Activist or whatever does not equate to being a good leader,Adams Oshiomole was an NLC activist,see how he turned out

Kingsley Moghalu is my prefered choice and could make a good leader,but i know for a fact that you Yorubas will not vote for him,so why should i or any Igbo person vote for sowore?..biko let us all stop fooling ourselves and stick with buhari,Atiku,Obasanjo,Saraki until Nigerian youths wakes up and learn to work together..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by shegzhkn: 1:51pm On Jul 27, 2018
AroleOduduwa:

To practice democracy we need the senate, to practice autocracy we don’t need them, the choice is yours, now choose, but wisely.

OK
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by shegzhkn: 1:54pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

Look, first I don't want us to go into the realm of conspiracy theories. You and I have no definite proof and i mean, no definite proof that there's a group somewhere controlling this planet as you've just asserted. Don't let's go there. YouTube allegations are mostly to sell cyberspace.

Now, if it were so easy to kill off Presidents of other countries just like that why is Mugabe still alive and other sit tight presidents in Africa. How about that idiot in the Philippines?

You think America hasn't learned it's lessons from Libya? Gaddafi though a tyrant kept Libya in place. He died and now we have terrorists and weapons finding their way across international borders. Some into Nigeria to fuel Boko Haram and the herdsmen.

If Nigeria sinks into chaos what do you think is going to happen?

But all these aren't even in contention.

Please read my post properly.

I said for such a thing to take place it has to be executed very swiftly. He doesn't have to fear assassination. All he has to fear is impeachment. That's all.

OK bro what if a president with the backing of his Armed Forces and other local law enforcement agencies along with consensus with Ally nation, can he dissolve both houses at once.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by lonelydora: 1:56pm On Jul 27, 2018
sowore2019:
A Presidential aspirant championing for Take it back, Omoyele Sowore, (Sai Bobo) on Thursday in Kano, said if he emerges victorious, he will abolish the Senate, which he described as a drain pipe of the nations’ economy.
Sowore, who is the Publisher of Sahara Reporters told reporters in Kano that the current Senate is composed of a bunch of old retired top Civil servants, who after retirement head to the Senate, as a conduit pipe to siphon the nation’s resources, at the detriment of the downtrodden.

Based on research, he noted that the Federal Government spends a whopping N1 trillion yearly, as salaries and emolument to Senators, including constituency allowances, pointing out that this huge amount should have been channeled to Agriculture Education, which would at the long run benefit a larger chunk of Nigerians.

Also, he argued that the current Presidential system of government is capital intensive, promising that, if elected, come 2019, he would opt for a Unicameral Legislature, whereby the lawmakers would serve on part time basis, so as to conserve more funds that would be channeled to other critical areas for development.
My era, as President, if elected, he said would be a departure from others, as he would ensure the fulfillment of election promises, made during electioneering campaign, so as to defend his integrity by marching his words, with action, as well as what is practicable to fulfill, rather than deceiving the masses in broad day light.

However, he regretted that the numerous zoning system applied in the polity has repeatedly failed us, describing it as a lazy man’s approach to politics, which must be jettisoned, so as to elect credible, trusted and result-oriented leaders, who would not offer untenable excuses as reasons for non-performance.

”We have rotated power, based on religion, ethnicity, and region, which has failed us. Therefore, leaders, who are based in the North do not have the interest of Northerners at heart, likewise the South West and South East, therefore, what we are looking for in Nigeria is a leader, who have the interest of the masses at heart, irrespective of where he comes from.”

https://primetimenewsng.com/2018/07/26/sowore-pledge-to-abolish-the-senate-if-elected-president-in-2019/

If he truly he can achieve this, he has my vote.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 1:59pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ziggylady:

Sowore is a clown,why should i support him or Durotoye?,because you yorubas say so??...you must be a joker..Activist or whatever does not equate to being a good leader,Adams Oshiomole was an NLC activist,see how he turned out

Kingsley Moghalu is my prefered choice and could make a good leader,but i know for a fact that you Yorubas will not vote for him,so why should i or any Igbo person vote for sowore?..biko let us all stop fooling ourselves and stick with buhari,Atiku,Obasanjo,Saraki until Nigerian youths wakes up and learn to work together..

Please keep your tribal sentiments at the door and come into this discourse with a thinking cap.

We argue over things sowore says because, deep down, we know that these are hard hitting issues plaguing Nigeria. I have not heard any policy statements from Moghalu, I hope he's not offering 'more of the same'.

Anyway, I'll like to see a coalition of the young candidates. Let's retire the old, corrupt people once and for all.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 2:01pm On Jul 27, 2018
shegzhkn:

OK bro what if a president with the backing of his Armed Forces and other local law enforcement agencies along with consensus with Ally nation, can he dissolve both houses at once.

He's not talking about dissolving the two houses. If we have a just judiciary and a working house of representatives, pray tell what we still need the senate for?

I laugh whenever I see them in the red chamber addressing themselves as 'honorable'. It's always a face-palm moment.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by nextstep(m): 2:02pm On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:
Or abrogate the constitution. There is more than ONLY ONE WAY.
How dd the constitution come into being.??

The Nigerian constitution is : Decree 24 of 1999

So we can always have Decree 25 of 2019

You're right... more than one way to skin a cat.

Just keep in mind that Decree 24 of 1999 was brought into place by the Federal Military Government, which is no longer in existence. This Constitution governs the Fourth Republic, and amending it requires the cooperation of NASS which is unlikely to erase itself. Abrogating it, well, that's not part of the Constitution. In other words, it's only possible with some extra-constitutional convention or some revolution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by gevans(m): 2:04pm On Jul 27, 2018
mctowel01:

Armchair talker, at least someone is coming to challenge the status quo, which a step, which one are you doing? Theory Theory without action is HOT AIR

I am playing my part though it may not be visible now but should not be misconstrued to doing nothing.

God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 2:05pm On Jul 27, 2018
nextstep:

Technically we have one representative per constituency, which usually consists of several LGAs. For instance, my representative, Ms. Hon. Joan Mrakpor represents the 4 LGAS of Aniocha North, Aniocha South, Oshimili North, and Oshimili South.

I agree NASS overpays and they should in all fairness reduce their salaries.

This is different from why we need two chambers. The point is to balance the interests of states with larger populations, against the interests of states with smaller. For instance, Lagos and Kano each have 24 representatives, and could easily override the interests of smaller states like Bayelsa (5) or Ekiti (6). Each state has 3 senators, so their senators balance out those interests to some degree. It's a really good system - though our current crop of senators have been MIA in terms of actually representing their states interests, and in terms of siphoning funds.

Even on the issue of being overpaid, let me play devil's advocate: they spend a lot of that money in Nigeria (their fancy buildings, many cars and drivers, and all the people who derive their pay from them benefit in some way) wink I'm not really serious, but it's a thought experiment.

You and Sowore are actually saying the same thing: if you have a national assembly that is unbalanced, it means their decisions will always be unbalanced. What then do you need them for?

You might as well call for a referendum to abolish the national assembly and stick with just the senate (and pray they make decisions in our favor).
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Ziggylady(f): 2:07pm On Jul 27, 2018
earnvest:

Please keep your tribal sentiments at the door and come into this discourse with a thinking cap.

We argue over things sowore says because, deep down, we know that these are hard hitting issues plaguing Nigeria. I have not heard any policy statements from Moghalu, I hope he's not offering 'more of the same'.

Anyway, I'll like to see a coalition of the young candidates. Let's retire the old, corrupt people once and for all.

Oh no we will not keep 'tribal sentiments' at the door..who are you deceiving??...Kingsley Moghalu's policy statements are there for all to see..but no you SWs are not interested,it is championing a blackmailing maverick like Sowore you are interested in undecided

We will 'retire the old,corrupt people once and fot all' alright,starting with Kingsley Moghalu...otherwise kindly talk to the hand cos the face aint listening..simple!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 2:17pm On Jul 27, 2018
nextstep:

You're right... more than one way to skin a cat.

Just keep in mind that Decree 24 of 1999 was brought into place by the Federal Military Government, which is no longer in existence. This Constitution governs the Fourth Republic, and amending it requires the cooperation of NASS which is unlikely to erase itself. Abrogating it, well, that's not part of the Constitution. In other words, it's only possible with some extra-constitutional convention or some revolution.
basically : A coup by the president. It is doable but risky
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by shegzhkn: 2:22pm On Jul 27, 2018
earnvest:

He's not talking about dissolving the two houses. If we have a just judiciary and a working house of representatives, pray tell what we still need the senate for?

I laugh whenever I see them in the red chamber addressing themselves as 'honorable'. It's always a face-palm moment.

yes am just saying cos practically the law makers are strategically worthless to whatever will move Nigeria forward... so with that I think we just got rid of a big problem Nigeria democracy is facing.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by shegzhkn: 2:26pm On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:

risky no... or maybe a calculated risk.
The president will do a good job first by winning heart of many with this he can seek consensus with world power and the Armed Forces along with local law enforcement agencies and he can then dissolve them all at once.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:28pm On Jul 27, 2018
TimFisher2:
grin

This guy don't have sense...i swear

Are you sure he attended school?

for a smooth running of government,where democracy is not hindered..there must be checks and balances

Read the post. The checks will still be there from the judiciary and a unicameral part-time legislature.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:34pm On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:

You have hit the nail on the head.

A coup by a sitting president to reset the democratic strictures - like what Yeltsin did against the Communists in 1991 - is what is needed.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by earnvest: 2:36pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ziggylady:

Oh no we will not keep 'tribal sentiments' at the door..who are you deceiving??...Kingsley Moghalu's policy statements are there for all to see..but no you SWs are not interested,it is championing a blackmailing maverick like Sowore you are interested in undecided

We will 'retire the old,corrupt people once and fot all' alright,starting with Kingsley Moghalu...otherwise kindly talk to the hand cos the face aint listening..simple!

Hahaha...and you concluded I'm from the SW because I'm standing on the side of the truth? Don't make me laugh.

I'm a Nigerian and a concerned one at that.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by sweetgala(m): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2018
gevans:
Will such bill scale Tru the National Assembly?
Restructuring is the way forward.

God bless Nigeria

I'm guessing such a move would be through a people's referendum. It something that has to be done has the Saraki tenure has shown that these senators are holding the future of the Nigeria to a ransom

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Devgist: 2:58pm On Jul 27, 2018
I call this ignorance
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by loschivatos(m): 3:01pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ventura1:

Your last statement gave credence to the kind of dysfunctional education we are given in this country, don't think, just give me the way I taught you.

What is wrong in developing a Presidential model that'll work for our country, must we practice it the way American does? We should break free from mental slavery.

I SUPPORT SOWORE2019

You've said it all.

3 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 27, 2018
shegzhkn:

No he cannot. And no nation will back you to undertake such.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by MakeNigeriaGrea: 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2018
Kingosytex:
In the words of falz "weh done sir" but the truth is that you can never be elected the president come 2019. the almajiris in the north will prefer their senseless, purposeless and planless terrorist who has only rewarded nigerians with misfortune.
What of you? Don't just say the almajiris. Most NIGERIANS do not see their country becoming great at all,which is why you disregards people's opinion on how to make this Nation great. Welldone to Sowore
He has my vote.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by MakeNigeriaGrea: 3:31pm On Jul 27, 2018
earnvest:

Hahaha...and you concluded I'm from the SW because I'm standing on the side of the truth? Don't make me laugh.

I'm a Nigerian and a concerned one at that.
Bro nice one. Most of these Nairalands lacks vision and just talk anyhow. I support SOWORE2019.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by MakeNigeriaGrea: 3:34pm On Jul 27, 2018
IgweBUIKE1:
that's if he wins...cos I know is going to be another unfill promises, just like the change the broom wielding demon ,promised us
You having this thought will not make how nation progress because you won't believe someone who meat well for this nation. I am sure you will still collect #5,000.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Lawana19: 3:35pm On Jul 27, 2018
Ezniteadin:
Nigerian Youths may never breathe a sigh of relief from the hands of their oppressors if they miss this opportunity to elect Omoyele Sowore as President, This guy is the Last man standing when it comes to Real struggle in Nigeria, Many of his contemporary who fought the Military were Killed and some were imprisoned to death

Sowore is indeed the Last man standing amongst the Unionist of the 80s, who refused to hands down to corruption even when it was profitable to do so,
In the 80s when we were all in school, Sowore made name in all Nigerian Campuses as a notorious incorruptible Student Unionist, in the days when Aluta was Aluta before Obasanjo infiltrated the students with compromiser

Unionist fought the Police to a halt and were feared By the present Oppressor (Police and Government)

Obafemi Awolowo University, University of Lagos, University of Ibadan, University of Benin, University of Calabar and a host of other schools cooperated and were united as a front against the government draconian rule. no one thought that Nigeria will be this down

This same Sowore was a Fire brand known to all union members across the tertiary institution, some of his contemporary were not so lucky, "Africa of OAU " was Killed BY government agent, one of the brightest union Leaders from IFE

Sowore is not confused, He knows what a good system aught to be, If the Youths fail to sue for this Guy, it will take another 100 Years for Nigeria to be Liberated

Mind you all these countries abolished the Senate Bahia, Ceará, Pernambuco, São Paulo (1930), Croatia (2001), Denmark (1953), Egypt (2013), Greece (1935), Hungary, South Korea (1960), Peru (1992), Portugal (1926), Sweden (1970), Turkey (1980), Venezuela (1999) and Mauritania (2017) once possessed upper houses but abolished them to adopt unicameral systems. The have a system far better than the oppressive system called Nigeria
I have been dreaming for a leader that will redesign a working system of government for our nation because this imported democracy is not working for Nigeria. When Buhari delayed to form his cabinet i thought he has something special up his sleeves. That NASS thing should be a part time job were the officers should operate from there constituencies and converge in Abuja once in 3 months time for plenary if necessary. It beats me to see youth bad mouthing Sowore in favor of the recycled crooks. Grace to Sowore all the way.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Ndkings1(m): 3:35pm On Jul 27, 2018
I like your spirit... But it won't work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pantami Is My Friend, But He Can’t Be Defended - Farooq A. Kperogi / Blinken, US Secretary Of State Meets With Buhari In Aso Rock / EdoDecides: INEC Bars Journalists From Collation Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.