Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,011 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 (26020 Views)

FG To Abolish Petrol Subsidy Before May 29, Attributes Delay To Election, Census / Tinubu Promises To Abolish Parallel FOREX Market (Video) / BBNaija: CLO Tells Buhari To Abolish Big Brother Naija Reality TV Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 11:16am On Jul 27, 2018
phemmyfour:
The process of law -making is a very serious business and must be thorough for a country of about 190 million with diverse ethnic and religious views
"Process of law making is very serious business" Sir those are empty and meaningless words in the context of this debate.

How is a bicameral legislature more "thorough" and why stop at two why not 3 or 4 or 8 houses. Anyway the purpose of Legislature in Nigeria is not just "law making" but let us leave that.

I think the issue here is a debate for unicameral vs bicameral.

I assure you I am not for Sowore or against him on this rather I am willing to liisten to robust arguments. With the greatest of respect what youu have wrtten above is not an argument but a platitude just like saying "cooking for 100 people is very serious business and must be thorough

What is "thoroughness" what does that mean. Is there any evidence of that "thoroughness" to date? Is there any evidence that both bodies perform genuinely different functions and is the cost sustainable and justified by the output

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by chronique(m): 11:17am On Jul 27, 2018
mixter:

Do your findings and see how it's possible, I would expect you to do your research about the issue instead of saying something you have little knowledge about. Are you aware that the Nigerian President is the most powerful leader in the World based on our Constitution ? Everything is possible ,

Are you listening to yourself at all? Do you know what a constitution means? If the president is that powerful, why has buhari not shut down the senate since? Why is he asking them to come back from recess to approve election budget? Some of you will just come and be talking on the internet like you're talking to kids.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Adefemiaderoju1: 11:18am On Jul 27, 2018
Kingosytex:
In the words of falz "weh done sir" but the truth is that you can never be elected the president come 2019. the almajiris in the north will prefer their senseless, purposeless and planless terrorist who has only rewarded nigerians with misfortune.
Why not... I believed he can, if we the people of the south can give him our full support.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by aribisala0(m): 11:18am On Jul 27, 2018
I think the good thing about this is we are actually dscussing why we need to have two houses. Maybe there is a good reason but the reality is Nigerians never had this debate it wwas just imposed.So maybe now we can have the debate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Adefemiaderoju1: 11:19am On Jul 27, 2018
ITbomb:
It is evident that this guy does not even understand what he is doing
Tell me how he doesn't know what he's talking about?

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Osinowoosibanjo(m): 11:24am On Jul 27, 2018
Sowore, i laugh u in greek.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Adefemiaderoju1: 11:24am On Jul 27, 2018
Ziggylady:

Omoyele Sowore the clown...keep up with the circus you call 'Presidential Ambition,only sophisticated morons are deceived.
Only clown like you that keep voting and recycling the same old thieves politicians, shame on you for saying that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 27, 2018
From what I'm reading here it is quite clear to any observant human being that the common masses enjoy pain and suffering. Not only that, they also enjoying the wailing they embark upon when their masters at the top tighten the belt.

If those who have commented negatively so far represent the opinions of majority then Sowore won't win.

He'll go back to New York and continue his journalism jejely.

And all those hungry rats here will keep suffering and smiling in Nigeria.

For him it's not a do or die affair.

7 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Adefemiaderoju1: 11:30am On Jul 27, 2018
I don't see that happening so soon but you have my support full time

Sowore 2019

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by sekem: 11:32am On Jul 27, 2018
Just for saying this alone, I might consider voting for the nigga in... 2023!

But for now...

It's Sai Baba all the way!!!

Sai Baba till 2023
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 11:32am On Jul 27, 2018
OMOYELE SOWORE FOR PRESIDENT 2019. .
OMOYELE SOWORE FOR PRESIDENT 2019 .
OMOYELE SOWORE FOR PRESIDENT 2019

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by phemmyfour: 11:33am On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:
"Process of law making is very serious business" Sir those are empty and meaningless words in the context of this debate.

How is a bicameral legislature more "thorough" and why stop at two why not 3 or 4 or 8 houses. Anyway the purpose of Legislature in Nigeria is not just "law making" but let us leave that.

I think the issue here is a debate for unicameral vs bicameral.

I assure you I am not for Sowore or against him on this rather I am willing to liisten to robust arguments. With the greatest of respect what youu have wrtten above is not an argument but a platitude just like saying "cooking for 100 people is very serious business and must be thorough

What is "thoroughness" what does that mean. Is there any evidence of that "thoroughness" to date? Is there any evidence that both bodies perform genuinely different functions and is the cost sustainable and justified by the output
The cost is sustainable, Nigeria is a very rich Country that's battling with mismanagement of its resources.
Unicameral leg. won't capture and made adequate representation for a Country as big as Nigeria. If we can have more than 2, why not. Two is better than one cos they have more perspective in analysing issues. Also, the executive can't easily influence bicam leg.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Silvermoney: 11:33am On Jul 27, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

He is saying that the senators will do part time work

He wouldn't have the powers to do that, that's my point. Only a constitutional amendment can change such things. And it's the same senators that will oversee Constitution amendments so how would he achieve this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 11:34am On Jul 27, 2018
gevans:
Will such bill scale Tru the National Assembly?
Restructuring is the way forward.

God bless Nigeria
Armchair talker, at least someone is coming to challenge the status quo, which a step, which one are you doing? Theory Theory without action is HOT AIR
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 27, 2018
aribisala0:

In Nigeria that is not the only way . The political reality of Nigeria is that the powers of the president are immense.

The main power he could deploy and I am not agreeing with him is the Federal might . If he campaigns and wins on that promise I do not see anything stopping him in Nigeria.

It is a political and not a legal or constituutional issue

One thing a lot of people forget is that the 1999 constiitution is essentially a military decree.
ONE decree.

It bears repeating.
The Nigerian constitution is decree 24 of 1999.
Just as it was enacted so also it can be abrogated or suspended . How?

By force.

The question is "Is it practicable " . In Nigeria yes. In fact it will not surprise me if Buhari does something like that
To achieve that a president would first need to consolidate his grip on the Armed Forces which is doable . Whether Sowore has the skill to do that is another matter but there is no shortage of advisers. How it will end is unpredictable.

There is no provision for referendums in orl law or constitution so that is a non issue.

On the political front. I am sure a president should be able to persuade his party to back him but if he fails to do so then abrogating the National Assembly , assuming authoritarian powers and declaring a transitional government with an exit date is an option.

The North did a coup in 1983 and when they were leaving put in place their own constitutiion. Do not doubt that a civilian head of state cannot do a coup against the national Assembly.

He doesn't even need the military. That's taking it too far. He already has the military as the Commander-in-Chief.

It's like a game of chess really.

His first move as the president is to go after the judiciary. Go after ALL corrupt judges and have them not only removed from the bench but prosecuted too. They don't enjoy immunity so that shouldn't be tough.

His second move will be to focus on the upper legislative arm. The Senate.

I make bold to say there isn't one of the senators who isn't involved in one shady criminal deal or the other.

Investigate them quietly. Get all the fact and figures.

Then hurl all of them in rapid succession into court for prosecution.

Because you have already cleaned the judiciary, you will have a sweet ride to victory in every court case.

Then, you can start talking about abolishing an empty or almost empty Senate. The lower house will support you 100% because they will be quaking with fear of what you'll do to them. Because they are also very guilty.

Of course the INEC will ordinarily want to fill in those posts by conducting elections, but you, as President can stall and say the budget didn't prepare for such massive elections for that year. And there's no Senate to pass any bill for supplementary budget.

Checkmate.

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 11:37am On Jul 27, 2018
MrALIVE:
I am highly disappointed in you guys for the comments am reading here...this goes to show that some of the youths will be worst than the current crop of leaders if given opportunity to come into power.
Comments here indicate nigerians are seriously in need of mental rehabilitation. A system is bad, someone new comes to profer a way forward, yet no, the armchair talkatives who don't know better than wailing and yapping from their hideouts will still not want to support the effort of the young man. I guess nigerians haven't suffered enough.

3 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Adebowale89(m): 11:39am On Jul 27, 2018
if he says house of reps I could have applaud him but eradicating senates in a Democratic system? I wonder the kind of system of govt he wanted to practice because executive and judiciary doesn't exist on their own in a Democratic system without the legislative
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by TheAlchemist: 11:40am On Jul 27, 2018
Truths22:
Dude's on codeine

....you mean expired codeine!
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 11:40am On Jul 27, 2018
TimFisher2:
grin

This guy don't have sense...i swear

Are you sure he attended school?

for a smooth running of government,where democracy is not hindered..there must be checks and balances
Ogbeni, we ve noticed you. You just feel like ridiculing, for attention. very cheap you know, and callous cos while the aspirant here is trying to create a better future for you, you prefer to ignorantly hide and talk on nairaland, that when the current system bites you hard enough, you wail and wail, just as your parents did, and just as your generations will do if you don't say enough is enough

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 11:43am On Jul 27, 2018
Ziggylady:

Omoyele Sowore the clown...keep up with the circus you call 'Presidential Ambition,only sophisticated morons are deceived.
Who is your candidate?
Mrs know it all.
Its very easy to hide on Nairaland to criticize, but when the current system gets and bites hard enough on you, you ll join your forefathers in the long boring sermon of wailing and crying.

3 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mixter(m): 11:43am On Jul 27, 2018
chronique:

Are you listening to yourself at all? Do you know what a constitution means? If the president is that powerful, why has buhari not shut down the senate since? Why is he asking them to come back from recess to approve election budget? Some of you will just come and be talking on the internet like you're talking to kids.
I meant no offense and I have no intention of turning this into an argument. My point is come up with constructive criticism .

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by McCobble(m): 11:44am On Jul 27, 2018
KingLennon:
No country can't operate smoothly without check and balances. Try another manifesto Mr. Sowore....grin
uni(1) and bi(2), hope u understand my point?

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 11:45am On Jul 27, 2018
AroleOduduwa:
Sowore is either drunk, ignorant or misquoted
Can you please share with us what your proposed "better" solution to the current system is, and why haven't you come forward to contest for a change?

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 11:47am On Jul 27, 2018
SolutionMee:
From today, I halt my support for this guy

He has no iota of idea of what he's doing and how government is being run
Next time, don't read only headlines

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mixter(m): 11:48am On Jul 27, 2018
Ioannes:

He doesn't even need the military. That's taking it too far. He already has the military as the Commander-in-Chief.

It's like a game of chess really.

His first move as the president is to go after the judiciary. Go after ALL corrupt judges and have them not only removed from the bench but prosecuted too. They don't enjoy immunity so that shouldn't be tough.

His second move will be to focus on the upper legislative arm. The Senate.

I make bold to say there isn't one of the senators who isn't involved in one shady criminal deal or the other.

Investigate them quietly. Get all the fact and figures.

Then hurl all of them in rapid succession into court for prosecution.

Because you have already cleaned the judiciary, you will have a sweet ride to victory in every court case.

Then, you can start talking about abolishing an empty or almost empty Senate. The lower house will support you 100% because they will be quaking with fear of what you'll do to them. Because they are also very guilty.

Of course the INEC will ordinarily want to fill in those posts by conducting elections, but you, as President can stall and say the budget didn't prepare for such massive elections for that year. And there's no Senate to pass any bill for supplementary budget.

Checkmate.
So sweet on paper but there's more to it I think. But I do like your analysis, atleast its a way forward.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 11:50am On Jul 27, 2018
Silvermoney:
In other words he will have to abolish the Constitution (not even amend it)
Seems he's not very enlightened about how the law works. Just a dreamer.
Which law in a lawless country that needs a revolution? Someone is trying to help your family and unborn offsprings, you are calling him a dreamer. Hope you know Sowore's family is settled in the US, so he could decide not to be bothered. Well, I think you nigerians haven't suffered enough

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by NASTYNASOSO: 11:50am On Jul 27, 2018
RuthlessLeader:

In the south it means beggar

HMMMMMMM

YOU SOUND UNEDUCATED.
DOES IT MATTER IF IT EVEN MEANS RULER
YOU CAN EVEN TWIST YOUR NAME AND CALL YOURSELF BASTARD
BUT YOUR ORIGINAL NAME REMAINS
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by mctowel01: 11:54am On Jul 27, 2018
wealth123:
The way people write garbage on nairaland baffles me. Omoyele Sowore was student Union President in Unilag 25 years ago and he went on to establish Sahara Reporter based in the USA. Someone here who has not even achieved anything in life is calling him a clown. This guy and Durotoye should be supported by all to bring an end to all these thieving old politicians. The president of France is just 40 years old. Stop collecting N5k to come and spew garbage on Nairaland.

Bro.. Nigerians haven't suffered enough. Its better they wail till them and their kids suffer very well before their eyes open

1 Like

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Gkemz: 11:55am On Jul 27, 2018
He know he's going nowhere. All he wants is the 'presidential aspirant' title added to his name.
Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Charly68: 11:57am On Jul 27, 2018
My man we are watching how the game will go ,you are the best for this job ..carry go !

2 Likes

Re: Sowore Pledges To Abolish The Senate If Elected President In 2019 by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 27, 2018
mixter:

So sweet on paper but there's more to it I think. But I do like your analysis, atleast its a way forward.

Well, I'm an architect and I know that before you start building on site, you have to first make the design "sweet on paper". smiley

I know that in-between those points there are other preparations to make, like finding a very very good Attorney general, putting together a very good set of ambitious, talented and intelligent young lawyers who will win cases for you.

But like I said, it's mostly a done deal once you've cleaned out the judiciary and put your judges there.

Nigerian presidency is probably one of the most powerful institution in a Democratic setting in the world. I'm not sure the POTUS has as much power in the US as Buhari has in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Total Ban On Okada In Lagos Takes Effect In Two Months - Sanwo-Olu / INEC Responds To Call For Saraki's Recall (photo Of Recall Letter Inside) / What Will You Do To Save Nigeria If You Are Elected As President Tomorrow????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.