Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,943 members, 7,814,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home (29342 Views)

The Dangers Of Opening Bottles With Your Teeth (Photo) / Dangers Of Excessive Smoking, A Victim You Should See / Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Brightgem(f): 1:10pm On Jul 31, 2018
It’s a fast paced world. We want everything done as soon as possible, even a slow internet can become nerve wrecking, or the software that’s freezing our computers for just a few seconds, we are in a generation of instant gratification and this includes what we eat and how we eat our food.

Some years back, microwave was banned in my home. I never really researched deep beyond finding it was said to be harmful, but over time I have learnt the “whys” about the microwave and being a patient of a severe inflammatory condition, I found that in recent times when I defiled what I know about the microwave and ate microwaved meals, my condition escalated, and the only odd thing out was how I was warming the food I ate. So here is a good read for you on the dangers of the microwave in your home.

If you already knew but waved it aside, you might have stronger reasons to reconsider after reading this post.

MICROWAVES EMIT A FORM OF ELECTRO-MAGNETIC FIELD

s the name suggests, the Microwave uses “microwaves” to heat your food, the waves are a form of electromagnetic field (EMF) generated by a magnetron, which vibrate at a very high speed. The effect of this on your food is that the structure of cells and molecules in your food are being altered abnormally, making your food more harmful than actually nutritious, because food structure becomes deformed. Conventional heating of food is more gentle on your food, as heating is gradual and also heat is transferred from outside to inside.

MICROWAVE ENERGY SPREADS THROUGH YOUR HOME AND THROUGH YOU

The “waves” from your Microwaves do not stay and remain contained inside your oven. This means that as you switch on your oven the electromagnetic field (EMF) generated travels through your home, and through you.

If you are not able to comprehend the implication of this, read the words below.

“In May 2011 the World Health Organization officially classified this type of EMF exposure as a class 2B possible carcinogen.”

“Exposures of just 4 milligauss have been firmly linked to leukemia. Not surprisingly these magnetic fields have also been categorized as carcinogenic.”

Yet we wonder why Cancer has been on the rise even when people have no history of it in their family. We can become vulnerable based on what we expose ourselves to.

WE ARE MORE VULNERABLE TO MICROWAVE DANGERS BECAUSE WE HEAT IN PLASTIC CONTAINERS.

Not a lot of people are yet aware of the many the dangers of plastic especially when exposed to heat. Harmful substance used in the the production of plastic leach out of it into your food, hence we are advised never to use plastic to pack hot meals or drinks. Using plastic containers which already carry their own hazards in a microwave oven can simply be called a double jeopardy.

PREGNANT WOMEN & CHILDREN ARE MORE VULNERABLE TO THE DANGERS OF THE MICROWAVE

These persons are generally seen as having lower immunity and in need of protection from anything that could make them vulnerable, they should be kept far away from a microwave should anyone insist on using them.

Research has shown that microwaves change food structure, making food loose beneficial anti-oxidant, and switching healthy nutrients to carcinogens.

However, identifying a problem should come with solutions. Below are a few tips to adjust to living without a microwave.

Invest in a steamer or oven instead.
Take frozen foods out of the freezer hours earlier so you can warm your meals on your stove. With planning and consistency this will not feel like a chore.
Where possible freeze meals lesser or place meals that may not need to be frozen in the fridge as you will worry less about speed-defrosting.

Now you know the dangers of the microwave in your home, and there’s more to discover with a little research.

Always remember that your body is the only place you have to live in, so treat it right at all times. Have a positive health attitude.

SOURCE - www.yourhealthattitude.com

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by uruego(f): 1:24pm On Jul 31, 2018
hmm
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Originality007: 1:24pm On Jul 31, 2018
shocked
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by sKeetz(m): 1:24pm On Jul 31, 2018
Kuku kill me

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by BruncleZuma: 1:24pm On Jul 31, 2018

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Jubilancy(f): 1:24pm On Jul 31, 2018
Very informative

Thanks a lot op

7 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by flyca: 1:25pm On Jul 31, 2018
Technology has it's ups and downs.
Even phones emit "waves".

Cars kill. Does it mean we should not enter cars?
These things are already part of our lives, and we cannot completely remove them.

However, I believe that the dieases that will be rampant in our generation will be different from that of our fathers and fore-fathers.

Thankfully, science has a way of solving them as they come

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Bayokun(m): 1:25pm On Jul 31, 2018
Hmm
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Imperare(f): 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2018
K
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by dustydee: 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2018
Which kain whala be this?

Na lie jor. tongue
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by geronimoedeh1(m): 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2018
Scaremongering

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Authoreety: 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2018
Sor
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by NovaCare: 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2018
A very timely thread. I always tell my patients never to use plastic containers in a microwave because plastics emit carcinogens into the food you are heating. One of my patient argued with me years back that he uses "food grade plastics" which according to him us relatively"safe"...today, he is down with leukaemia. Plastic is plastic! If you must use a microwave (which you shouldn't use in the first place) then use hard glass to heat the food. Secondly, grilled meat (barbecue and suya) is another culprit for carcinogenesis! If you must eat meat, dry under the sun for weeks or metres over your stove area or open fireplace in a copper (not iron) caging apparatus like our grandmothers use to do in those days.

A word is enough for the wise

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by ItzBIM(m): 1:27pm On Jul 31, 2018
Something must kill a man..very soon we go dangers of furnitures in your home.

5 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by tstx(m): 1:27pm On Jul 31, 2018
So we should not warm food again ba

4 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by maryjan8(f): 1:27pm On Jul 31, 2018
Okay, noted
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 31, 2018
enlightening
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by tofolo(m): 1:29pm On Jul 31, 2018
something must kill a man. angry
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by jojokelechi(m): 1:29pm On Jul 31, 2018
irradiated meal..fast moving colliding particles producing heat.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by SoftP(m): 1:29pm On Jul 31, 2018
Who and who d thing don kill?

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by frowland(m): 1:30pm On Jul 31, 2018
Bullshit, I don't need to go into quantum physics to explain this but everyone on their own beliefs.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by otswag(m): 1:30pm On Jul 31, 2018
I would like to point pot a lot of misconceptions regarding this post so people won't be misinformed:

1. Not all forms of radiation has been known to cause cancer. Radiation is grouped into ionizing and non-ionizing. Examples of the ionizing forms are gamma rays, x rays, ultraviolet rays and these are the forms known to be dangerous when one is exposed to them for too long. Also, Gamma has the lowest wavelength in the examples above, next is x ray and then infrared rays and this correlates with how dangerous each of them are respectively. In other words, the lower the wavelength, the more dangerous it is. Radiowaves, microwaves, infrared are non -ionizing radiations and have relatively higher wavelengths, hence, none has been known to cause cancer till date.

2. Microwaves do not change the molecular composition of food. Rather, it heats up the water molecules in food and this heat then spreads by convection.

3.microwaves do not heat food from inside-out. Infact, It can only penetrate a few centimeters below the food surface. I does it from outside- in and then the heat spreads by convection.

4. microwave ovens are designed to contain the waves inside the appliance. Infact, once you open the oven while its still on, it switches off automatically. The only reason there would be a leakage is if the appliance itself is broken somewhere. For your info, microwaves are invincible to the na.ked eye. Its not that light that comes on when you switch on the machine.

5. The only part your this post that has been proven to be true is the part concerning heating food in plastics. Yes, this is discouraged because the plastic can melt and leach into the food and this may be dangerous to ones health in future. Using ceramic bowls or other non-metal containers is safer.

53 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by damola1: 1:30pm On Jul 31, 2018
Actually bought a new one, then simply gave it out. All this cancer in america is coming from somewhere

5 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 31, 2018
Some plastic containers are microwave safe.

You need to look closely. Some lids are not even though the container itself is.

Asking not to use a microwave in todays day and age is asinine but I would buy a trust brand and not a cheap Chinese knockoff.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by GiftEnya: 1:33pm On Jul 31, 2018
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by trumpcoat(m): 1:34pm On Jul 31, 2018
Na something go kill somebody person no dey die ordinarily, fear not
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:35pm On Jul 31, 2018
I love Osibanjo more than Buhari
If you know, you know...

Meanwhile...
You MUST read this post on dangers of the paracetamol before taking it again! sad
Don't say you weren't warned!
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by tonexman18(m): 1:41pm On Jul 31, 2018
Choi.. nothing in this world is safe anymore..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9 Craziest Things Doctors Removed From Patients / 36 Pupils Pregnant At A School In South Africa, 31 Living With HIV / Doctors Perform Brain Surgery On Wrong Patient In Kenya>>video<<

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.