Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home (29361 Views)

The Dangers Of Opening Bottles With Your Teeth (Photo) / Dangers Of Excessive Smoking, A Victim You Should See / Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by otswag(m): 7:46pm On Jul 31, 2018
[quote author=newjosboy post=69868348][/quote] microwaves generate heat by causing molecules in a substance to vibrate. The more liquid the substance, the more violent the molecules can vibrate, hence, the more heat energy is produced. Our secondary school physics alone can explain this. This is why water molecules in food are the major components of food that the microwave works on. When heat is generated, if it gets too high, of course it can melt the plastic container or at least soften heat depending on the quality of the plastic. If this is still confusing, just do this simple experiment. Put a dry, empty plastic in a microwave oven and set it to highest for one minute. Then repeat the same with the cup half full of water for the same one minute. You will see that the empty cup will, at best, just be barely warm, however, the half filled cup will be sizzling hot.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by otswag(m): 7:57pm On Jul 31, 2018
Brightgem:
In what way was I confrontational? Facts can also be what I personally experience, which then stands as true to me. Nor be so? we can both see the number 69 and call it 9 or 6 depending on where who is standing. so who would be wrong?
no vex ma. I meant I didn't mean to seem confrontational. I get your though and I agree that we all need to be extra vigilant concerning these modern day gadgets we use and other things we eat. Yes, I don't agree with this particular microwave issue but there are many others we should be wary about.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by otswag(m): 8:17pm On Jul 31, 2018
microwaves generate heat by causing molecules in a substance to vibrate against each other. Its just like the heat you feel when you rub your palms together for a while. The more liquid the substance, the more violent the molecules can vibrate, hence, the more heat energy is produced. This is why water molecules in food are the major components of food that generates heat from the influence of the microwave. When heat is generated, if it gets too high, of course it can melt the plastic container or at least soften heat depending on the quality of the plastic. If this is still confusing, just do this simple experiment. Put a dry, empty plastic in a microwave oven and set it to highest for one minute. Then repeat the same with the cup half full of water for the same one minute. You will see that the empty cup will, at best, just be barely warm, however, the half filled cup will be sizzling hot.[quote author=newjosboy post=69868348][/quote]
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by MrBONE2(m): 8:24pm On Jul 31, 2018
NovaCare:
A very timely thread. I always tell my patients never to use plastic containers in a microwave because plastics emit carcinogens into the food you are heating. One of my patient argued with me years back that he uses "food grade plastics" which according to him us relatively"safe"...today, he is down with leukaemia. Plastic is plastic! If you must use a microwave (which you shouldn't use in the first place) then use hard glass to heat the food. Secondly, grilled meat (barbecue and suya) is another culprit for carcinogenesis! If you must eat meat, dry under the sun for weeks or metres over your stove area or open fireplace in a copper (not iron) caging apparatus like our grandmothers use to do in those days.

A word is enough for the wise

You missed POP CORNs which re silent executors grin
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by chrizzyace: 10:25pm On Jul 31, 2018
Thanks for sharing this... One should also be mindful of buying food in take away packs from a restaurant, and having it microwaved... May God have mercy on us..

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Naijazeus: 11:01pm On Jul 31, 2018
otswag:
I would like to point pot a lot of misconceptions regarding this post so people won't be misinformed:

1. Not all forms of radiation has been known to cause cancer. Radiation is grouped into ionizing and non-ionizing. Examples of the ionizing forms are gamma rays, x rays, ultraviolet rays and these are the forms known to be dangerous when one is exposed to them for too long. Also, Gamma has the lowest wavelength in the examples above, next is x ray and then infrared rays and this correlates with how dangerous each of them are respectively. In other words, the lower the wavelength, the more dangerous it is. Radiowaves, microwaves, infrared are non -ionizing radiations and have relatively higher wavelengths, hence, none has been known to cause cancer till date.

2. Microwaves do not change the molecular composition of food. Rather, it heats up the water molecules in food and this heat then spreads by convection.

3.microwaves do not heat food from inside-out. Infact, It can only penetrate a few centimeters below the food surface. I does it from outside- in and then the heat spreads by convection.

4. microwave ovens are designed to contain the waves inside the appliance. Infact, once you open the oven while its still on, it switches off automatically. The only reason there would be a leakage is if the appliance itself is broken somewhere. For your info, microwaves are invincible to the na.ked eye. Its not that light that comes on when you switch on the machine.

5. The only part your this post that has been proven to be true is the part concerning heating food in plastics. Yes, this is discouraged because the plastic can melt and leach into the food and this may be dangerous to ones health in future. Using ceramic bowls or other non-metal containers is safer.

You nailed it. You are good.
Bravo
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by jabolo(m): 12:41am On Aug 01, 2018
Brightgem:
well I wrote the post and own the blog, thanks for rebroadcasting my disclaimer, whatever ur intentions may be. I don't just write out of the blues, if anything else, I am certain of my observation that my health condition worsens when I consume microwaved meals, hence writing this post. Our bodies react differently to things, especially those dealing with immune system related illnesses. But then let everyone chose what stands as truth to them personally.

With respect Madam, you simply copied and pasted. Did you research? I found the 2011 WHO study. Have you ever read it? If you did, nothing suggests a causal link remotely connected to Microwave ovens. Anyone with serious Chicken Licken syndrome will first throw their mobile phones away after reading it.

I'll summarize from http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/mwoven.html a number of reasons why microwaves are not dangerous:

- The frequency of the microwave in ovens frequency is 2450 MHz so the wavelength is 120mm. You will need a hole of this size for any EMF radiation to escape from the microwave. The metal grilles in front usually have 1mm sized holes. You can see the light (from the lamp bulb) because that one's wavelength is 500 nano meters (frequency about 500 TerraHz) but the microwave cannot escpape. Of course, you can drill such a large hole

- Microwaves are limited to 5 milliwatts (mW) of microwave radiation per square centimeter at approximately 2 inches from the oven surface. This is already far below harmless levels. Even if any microwave escapes, the power diminishes 100 times within 20 inches at that frequency of 2450 MHz.

I'm an Engineer, hence my gravitation to the above, which is easily understandable to me.

For the medical perspective, here's a definitive statement from the Cancer Council of New South Wales (Australia).

Microwave ovens do not cause cancer
https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/86089/cancer-information/general-information-cancer-information/cancer-questions-myths/environmental-and-occupational-carcinogens/microwave-ovens-do-not-cause-cancer/

Finally, re your observation of worsening health when you consume micowaved food, it may be scientifically attributed to a kind of negative placebo effect. I'm sure you knew the food was microwaved before you ate it and you're already psychologically receptive to negative after-effects. I can bet many Nairalanders that have been taken in by your news will start exhibiting the same symptoms, if not already.

Have a good day and good luck with your blog. I really mean that.

Only remember - READ, RETAIN, RESEARCH ... before publishing.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Bitterleafsoup: 5:35am On Aug 01, 2018
NovaCare:

Because iron allows heat transfer and conductivity which is not healthy for the meat. Copper is insulated from heat as the heat touches the meat only.
I only eat seafood soon to stop that too, but good info period!
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Brightgem(f): 9:11am On Aug 01, 2018
jabolo:

With respect Madam, you simply copied and pasted. Did you research? I found the 2011 WHO study. Have you ever read it? If you did, nothing suggests a causal link remotely connected to Microwave ovens. Anyone with serious Chicken Licken syndrome will first throw their mobile phones away after reading it.

Only remember - READ, RETAIN, RESEARCH ... before publishing.
Hmm... with due respect, I did not copy and paste. Read, retain and research not an assumption you should make that I don't practice all because your own research which you choose to believe says otherwise. I am sure you can see my blog has no adverts, so I have real reasons I write in health, not to just come up with any content to get a crowd. Talking about placebos, that's ur thinking, but then its my body, my observations, I listen to it, if many more people did this too, they'll probably save themselves a lot of challenges. I am pretty sure the post isn't forcing anyone to do what it says. Keep or leave the microwave, we make choices and decisions everyday.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 01, 2018
otswag:
I would like to point pot a lot of misconceptions regarding this post so people won't be misinformed:

1. Not all forms of radiation has been known to cause cancer. Radiation is grouped into ionizing and non-ionizing. Examples of the ionizing forms are gamma rays, x rays, ultraviolet rays and these are the forms known to be dangerous when one is exposed to them for too long. Also, Gamma has the lowest wavelength in the examples above, next is x ray and then infrared rays and this correlates with how dangerous each of them are respectively. In other words, the lower the wavelength, the more dangerous it is. Radiowaves, microwaves, infrared are non -ionizing radiations and have relatively higher wavelengths, hence, none has been known to cause cancer till date.

2. Microwaves do not change the molecular composition of food. Rather, it heats up the water molecules in food and this heat then spreads by convection.

3.microwaves do not heat food from inside-out. Infact, It can only penetrate a few centimeters below the food surface. I does it from outside- in and then the heat spreads by convection.

4. microwave ovens are designed to contain the waves inside the appliance. Infact, once you open the oven while its still on, it switches off automatically. The only reason there would be a leakage is if the appliance itself is broken somewhere. For your info, microwaves are invincible to the na.ked eye. Its not that light that comes on when you switch on the machine.

5. The only part your this post that has been proven to be true is the part concerning heating food in plastics. Yes, this is discouraged because the plastic can melt and leach into the food and this may be dangerous to ones health in future. Using ceramic bowls or other non-metal containers is safer.
love reading posts like this
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by olowobaba10: 1:42pm On Aug 01, 2018
DanjaNinja:
This is absolutely spot on and backed by actual research. I've been advising friends for a long time to give up microwave due to it's harmful effects. I stopped using it a long time ago. My initial fear was that heating up food would take longer. That turned out to be untrue. Heating up food with a regular pot turned ou t to be just fine and quick.
https://thehealthsciencesacademy.org/health-tips/microwave-radiation/
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/true-or-false-ridiculous-microwave-myths-you-can-stop-believing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doctors In Diaspora: How FG Frustrated Us When We Offered To Improve Healthcare / 5 Dangerous Pregnancy Complications That Can Destroy Your Home / Medical Brain Drain In Zimbabwe: Government Blocks UK-Bound Nurses (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.