Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home (29359 Views)

The Dangers Of Opening Bottles With Your Teeth (Photo) / Dangers Of Excessive Smoking, A Victim You Should See / Dangers Of Uncovered Roadside Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by NovaCare: 1:44pm On Jul 31, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Some plastic containers are microwave safe.

You need to look closely. Some lids are not even though the container itself is.

Asking not to use a microwave in todays day and age is asinine but I would buy a trust brand and not a cheap Chinese knockoff.

Bro...plastic is plastic! Forget all those "Microwave Safe" plastics. They will still emit all those harmful radiation

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by 12345baba(m): 1:50pm On Jul 31, 2018
Me wey done throway my microwave since
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Adefemiaderoju1: 1:51pm On Jul 31, 2018
Double wahala for deadiiiiiii body
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by jabolo(m): 1:55pm On Jul 31, 2018
So, my new Golden rule to keep sane in this era of fake news, mischevious news, fraudulent news, stupid news, dangerous news etc.

The three R's I recommend to everyone ...

READ, RETAIN (ie, DO NOT simply forward), and RESEARCH

Don't worry, it's summer here, I've got some time today.

This article is from a blog yourhealthattitude written by one Maryam Abdulrasheed. Now, I don't know her qualifications to write about health but there is a mega disclaimer on the website

Your Health Attitude blog intends to give general advice for sustaining good health through eating and living well, as well as taking the right actions towards positive health.

Topics on this blog are not to be used as a platform or yardstick to diagnosing anyone with any medical conditions or treating any illness. The materials contained on this website are provided for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice on any subject matter.

Some links within this website may lead to other websites, including those operated and maintained by third parties. The presence of such a link does not imply a responsibility for the linked site or an endorsement of the linked site, its operator, or its contents.

Information on this site is not a substitute for medical care provided by a licensed and qualified health professional. Visit a doctor where you observe any abnormalities in your body.

I recommend this sort of disclaimers to Babalawos everywhere too. Ms Abdulrasheed does not want to be sued. Take everything on her site with a pinch of salt. If you follow the links mentioned in the article, trust me, you will be voluntarily subjecting yourself to a vortex of conspiracies and repeated-lies-that-morph-into-truth. I hoped at least to find a direct link to reference the WHO study.

Well Google is your friend. In fact, it can be your best friend too in these dark times where sociopaths want to secretly take over the world using information as their man weapon.

Try the Health Sciences Academy: Is Microwave Radiation Harmful? Source: © The Health Sciences Academy ®. All Rights Reserved. https://thehealthsciencesacademy.org/health-tips/microwave-radiation/
I spend a lot of time on CNET: Ridiculous microwave myths you can stop believing https://www.cnet.com/how-to/true-or-false-ridiculous-microwave-myths-you-can-stop-believing/

There you go.

5 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by imonisweet(m): 1:58pm On Jul 31, 2018
What would you say about gas oven, will it still emit pisionous radiation?
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by raymytech1: 1:59pm On Jul 31, 2018
Seun, lala, una no see this one delete o na me you dey hunt
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by raymytech1: 2:01pm On Jul 31, 2018
Make sure you use with caution!

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by NovaCare: 2:03pm On Jul 31, 2018
flyca:
Technology has it's ups and downs.
Even phones emit "waves".

Phones emit RF Radiofrequency but newer models of phones emit very little of these frequencies than older models. This amount of RF is adjudged by what is known as SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) which is the amount of RF energy absorbed from the phone into the local tissues. The upper limit of SAR allowed is 1.6 watts per kilogram of body weight. It is advisable not to put your phone in your "breast pocket" especially when living in high density urbanized areas because of high distribution of RF.

Cars kill. Does it mean we should not enter cars?

Lol...cars will not just "kill you" but you should be very observant. Make sure that your car has no exhaust leak that festers into the internal area of your vehicle and do not idle your car in an enclosure (like a garage) for too long.

Secondly, be sure of the kind of dashboard polish you use for those who want their cars to be squeaky clean.

Heard of a guy who got acute bronchitis from inhalation of arsenic that was emitted from the polish used in wiping his dashboard via his car AC.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 31, 2018
NovaCare:

Bro...plastic is plastic! Forget all those "Microwave Safe" plastics. They will still emit all those harmful radiation

I disagree. I’ve educated myself.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Bitterleafsoup: 2:17pm On Jul 31, 2018
NovaCare:
A very timely thread. I always tell my patients never to use plastic containers in a microwave because plastics emit carcinogens into the food you are heating. One of my patient argued with me years back that he uses "food grade plastics" which according to him us relatively"safe"...today, he is down with leukaemia. Plastic is plastic! If you must use a microwave (which you shouldn't use in the first place) then use hard glass to heat the food. Secondly, grilled meat (barbecue and suya) is another culprit for carcinogenesis! If you must eat meat, dry under the sun for weeks or metres over your stove area or open fireplace in a copper (not iron) caging apparatus like our grandmothers use to do in those days.

A word is enough for the wise
why not iron?
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Originalsly: 2:20pm On Jul 31, 2018
ItzBIM:

Something must kill a man..very soon we go dangers of furnitures in your home.

It shouldn't be ignorance.....it is better you roll over and die than refuse knowledge.

@ topic..... the people who made the micro wave don't even use it! Ever wonder why on cooking shows they don't use microwave?...and when they do...they let you know it's just for speeding up the process?

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by flyca: 2:33pm On Jul 31, 2018
NovaCare:

Phones emit RF Radiofrequency but newer models of phones emit very little of these frequencies than older models. This amount of RF is adjudged by what is known as SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) which is the amount of RF energy absorbed from the phone into the local tissues. The upper limit of SAR allowed is 1.6 watts per kilogram of body weight. It is advisable not to put your phone in your "breast pocket" especially when living in high density urbanized areas because of high distribution of RF.

Lol...cars will not just "kill you" but you should be very observant. Make sure that your car has no exhaust leak that festers into the internal area of your vehicle and do not idle your car in an enclosure (like a garage) for too long.

Secondly, be sure of the kind of dashboard polish you use for those who want their cars to be squeaky clean.

Heard of a guy who got acute bronchitis from inhalation of arsenic that was emitted from the polish used in wiping his dashboard via his car AC.
Something must kill a man sha, so if you gotta die - die happy cheesy

By happy I mean enjoy life the best way you can. We all gonna die someday afterall tongue
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Deltatoto: 2:40pm On Jul 31, 2018
Jubilancy:
Very informative

Thanks a lot op
fine babe I'm in delta for like meet u up I'm always in Edo
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by DanjaNinja(m): 3:03pm On Jul 31, 2018
This is absolutely spot on and backed by actual research. I've been advising friends for a long time to give up microwave due to it's harmful effects. I stopped using it a long time ago. My initial fear was that heating up food would take longer. That turned out to be untrue. Heating up food with a regular pot turned ou t to be just fine and quick.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by zikray: 3:09pm On Jul 31, 2018
I think i prefer this one to that of OP's somebody can not use his microwave in peace again... undecided undecided undecided undecided

otswag:
I would like to point pot a lot of misconceptions regarding this post so people won't be misinformed:

1.not all forms of radiation has been known to cause cancer. Radiation is grouped into ionizing and non-ionizing. The ionizing forms are e.g gamma rays, x rays, ultraviolet rays and these are the forms known to be dangerous when one is exposed to them for too long. Also, Gamma has the lowest wavelength, next is x ray and then infrared rays and this correlates with how dangerous each of them are respectively. In other words, the lower the wavelength, the more dangerous it is. Radiowaves, microwaves, infrared are non -ionizing radiations and have relatively higher wavelengths, hence, none has been known to cause cancer till date.

2. Microwaves do not change the molecular composition of food. Rather, it heats up the water molecules in food and this heat then spreads by convection.

3.microwaves do not heat food from inside-out. Infact, It can only penetrate a few centimeters below the food surface. I does it from outside- in and then the heat spreads by convection.

4. microwave ovens are designed to contain the waves inside the appliance. Infact, once you open the oven while its still on, it switches off automatically. The only reason there would be a leakage is if the appliance itself is broken somewhere. For your info, microwaves are invincible to the na.ked eye. Its not that light that comes on when you switch on the machine.

5. The only part your this post that has been proven to be true is the part concerning heating food in plastics. Yes, this is discouraged because the plastic can melt and leach into the food and this may be dangerous to ones health in future. Using ceramic bowls or other non-metal containers is safer.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by otswag(m): 3:10pm On Jul 31, 2018
zikray:
I think i prefer this one to that of OP's somebody can not use his microwave in peace again... undecided undecided undecided undecided

grin grin grin
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Upright750: 3:14pm On Jul 31, 2018
In Nigeria we don't have light not to talk of microwave for every home yet we do fie ralier than those European and Asian people that almost every home own microwave ...
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Jethrolite(m): 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2018
You have to show me academic research to back this report because it is nonsense as it is.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by piagetskinner(m): 3:29pm On Jul 31, 2018
nawa oo how do I tell these ladies to stop defrosting food in microwave
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by fineboynl(m): 3:34pm On Jul 31, 2018
if you rap you meal with fuel paper you are okay with microwave

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by NovaCare: 3:40pm On Jul 31, 2018
Bitterleafsoup:
why not iron?

Because iron allows heat transfer and conductivity which is not healthy for the meat. Copper is insulated from heat as the heat touches the meat only.

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by meobizy(f): 3:45pm On Jul 31, 2018
One thing must kill a man. I'll take my chance. I also read on the microwave field thing because my mother always preaches about it. Apparently if your oven has no leaks or breaks then there is nothing to fear: all the waves created from its operation are contained within the box.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by folly22(f): 4:51pm On Jul 31, 2018
Wot of oven?
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by kemmy16: 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2018
Your information not true. Microwave generate small amounts of X-ray radiation which if you stand close it pass through your body which can do you harms in a long run. But no effect on ur food at all. Go do ur research again.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Saintabdul(m): 5:40pm On Jul 31, 2018
Thank God say i no kukuma like microwave before...

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by newjosboy: 6:44pm On Jul 31, 2018
[quote author=otswag post=69859957]I would like to point pot a lot of misconceptions regarding this post so people won't be misinformed:

1. Not all forms of radiation has been known to cause cancer. Radiation is grouped into ionizing and non-ionizing. Examples of the ionizing forms are gamma rays, x rays, ultraviolet rays and these are the forms known to be dangerous when one is exposed to them for too long. Also, Gamma has the lowest wavelength in the examples above, next is x ray and then infrared rays and this correlates with how dangerous each of them are respectively. In other words, the lower the wavelength, the more dangerous it is. Radiowaves, microwaves, infrared are non -ionizing radiations and have relatively higher wavelengths, hence, none has been known to cause cancer till date.

2. Microwaves do not change the molecular composition of food. Rather, it heats up the water molecules in food and this heat then spreads by convection.

3.microwaves do not heat food from inside-out. Infact, It can only penetrate a few centimeters below the food surface. I does it from outside- in and then the heat spreads by convection.

4. microwave ovens are designed to contain the waves inside the appliance. Infact, once you open the oven while its still on, it switches off automatically. The only reason there would be a leakage is if the appliance itself is broken somewhere. For your info, microwaves are invincible to the na.ked eye. Its not that light that comes on when you switch on the machine.
[b]
5. The only part your this post that has been proven to be true is the part concerning heating food in plastics. Yes, this is discouraged because the plastic can melt and leach into the food and this may be dangerous to ones health in future. Using ceramic bowls or other non-metal containers is safer. [/quote
]

You mentioned earlier that the waves heat up ONLY the water in The food and the heat spreads by convection. Right? Now, can you explain why the waves also melt the plastic in an oven when plastics dont contain water?
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Brightgem(f): 6:51pm On Jul 31, 2018
NovaCare:
A very timely thread. I always tell my patients never to use plastic containers in a microwave because plastics emit carcinogens into the food you are heating. One of my patient argued with me years back that he uses "food grade plastics" which according to him us relatively"safe"...today, he is down with leukaemia. Plastic is plastic! If you must use a microwave (which you shouldn't use in the first place) then use hard glass to heat the food. Secondly, grilled meat (barbecue and suya) is another culprit for carcinogenesis! If you must eat meat, dry under the sun for weeks or metres over your stove area or open fireplace in a copper (not iron) caging apparatus like our grandmothers use to do in those days.

A word is enough for the wise
Thanks. We hope some people will take heed!
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Brightgem(f): 6:57pm On Jul 31, 2018
otswag:
I would like to point pot a lot of misconceptions regarding this post so people won't be misinformed:

1. Not all forms of radiation has been known to cause cancer. Radiation is grouped into ionizing and non-ionizing. Examples of the ionizing forms are gamma rays, x rays, ultraviolet rays and these are the forms known to be dangerous when one is exposed to them for too long. Also, Gamma has the lowest wavelength in the examples above, next is x ray and then infrared rays and this correlates with how dangerous each of them are respectively. In other words, the lower the wavelength, the more dangerous it is. Radiowaves, microwaves, infrared are non -ionizing radiations and have relatively higher wavelengths, hence, none has been known to cause cancer till date.

5. The only part your this post that has been proven to be true is the part concerning heating food in plastics. Yes, this is discouraged because the plastic can melt and leach into the food and this may be dangerous to ones health in future. Using ceramic bowls or other non-metal containers is safer.
More reliable sources prove your points wrong, you didn't cite ur sources.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by newjosboy: 7:00pm On Jul 31, 2018
fineboynl:
if you rap you meal with fuel paper you are okay with microwave

Which one be fuel paper again. You want make the oven explode and burn the house? Kilon shi e na?

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Brightgem(f): 7:10pm On Jul 31, 2018
jabolo:
So, my new Golden rule to keep sane in this era of fake news, mischevious news, fraudulent news, stupid news, dangerous news etc.

The three R's I recommend to everyone ...

READ, RETAIN (ie, DO NOT simply forward), and RESEARCH

Don't worry, it's summer here, I've got some time today.

This article is from a blog yourhealthattitude written by one Maryam Abdulrasheed. Now, I don't know her qualifications to write about health but there is a mega disclaimer on the website

Your Health Attitude blog intends to give general advice for sustaining good health through eating and living well, as well as taking the right actions towards positive health.

Topics on this blog are not to be used as a platform or yardstick to diagnosing anyone with any medical conditions or treating any illness. The materials contained on this website are provided for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or other professional advice on any subject matter.

Some links within this website may lead to other websites, including those operated and maintained by third parties. The presence of such a link does not imply a responsibility for the linked site or an endorsement of the linked site, its operator, or its contents.

Information on this site is not a substitute for medical care provided by a licensed and qualified health professional. Visit a doctor where you observe any abnormalities in your body.

I recommend this sort of disclaimers to Babalawos everywhere too. Ms Abdulrasheed does not want to be sued. Take everything on her site with a pinch of salt. If you follow the links mentioned in the article, trust me, you will be voluntarily subjecting yourself to a vortex of conspiracies and repeated-lies-that-morph-into-truth. I hoped at least to find a direct link to reference the WHO study.

Well Google is your friend. In fact, it can be your best friend too in these dark times where sociopaths want to secretly take over the world using information as their man weapon.

There you go.
well I wrote the post and own the blog, thanks for rebroadcasting my disclaimer, whatever ur intentions may be. I don't just write out of the blues, if anything else, I am certain of my observation that my health condition worsens when I consume microwaved meals, hence writing this post. Our bodies react differently to things, especially those dealing with immune system related illnesses. But then let everyone chose what stands as truth to them personally.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by otswag(m): 7:23pm On Jul 31, 2018
Brightgem:
More reliable sources prove your points wrong, you didn't cite ur sources.
lol. More reliable because it supports your post? grin. The truth is not hidden on the net. You just have to know how to filter bull.shit websites from the right ones. Do you research well my dear. My post was meant to be informative not confrontational.
Re: The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home by Brightgem(f): 7:30pm On Jul 31, 2018
otswag:
lol. More reliable because it supports your post? grin. The truth is not hidden on the net. You just have to know how to filter bull.shit websites from the right ones. Do you research well my dear. My post was meant to be informative not confrontational.
In what way was I confrontational? Facts can also be what I personally experience, which then stands as true to me. Nor be so? we can both see the number 69 and call it 9 or 6 depending on where who is standing. so who would be wrong?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doctors In Diaspora: How FG Frustrated Us When We Offered To Improve Healthcare / 5 Dangerous Pregnancy Complications That Can Destroy Your Home / Medical Brain Drain In Zimbabwe: Government Blocks UK-Bound Nurses (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.