Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,433 members, 7,830,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence (34308 Views)

Dogara Raises Alarm Over 2019 Election / Don't Run Against Me In 2019 Election, Buhari Begs Nigerian Youths / See What Buhari Is Taking With Him To Daura If He Loses 2019 Election - Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by 35824L: 6:38pm On Aug 01, 2018
Pavarottii:

Why didn't he cover the court of appeal? I see fear ...
Dundees don't usually know delay tactics when they see one.

1 Like

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by FLYFIRE(m): 6:39pm On Aug 01, 2018
PHILipu1:
D man
THE MAN THAT IS TOO ILLETERATE & DAFT TO RULE IN THE 21ST CENTURY & IS GOING BACK TO HIS COWS

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by Pavarottii(m): 6:43pm On Aug 01, 2018
blacknp:
In all honesty it is amazing how ignorant some people really are,quite amazing,lost for words?

I guess that is why cultism & sports betting is high among these generation of lazy youths,no innovation or mental application to logic.
See frusTration all over u. U still didn't answer my question.
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by blacknp(m): 6:45pm On Aug 01, 2018
Pavarottii:

Tot u guys said buhari is a God. So why all of a sudden u guys are shaking about this news?
shaking who?we are only trying to enlighten you on your misconception of the issue at hand,because it seems you have the wrong interpretation mixed up with faint imagination,what a white man will call a Stiff Necked Fool's hypotheses.

I never heard anyone Call President Buhari a god other than you and you did it with a capital G,that shows respect.

1 Like

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by Pavarottii(m): 6:46pm On Aug 01, 2018
blacknp:
shaking who?we are only trying to enlighten you on your misconception of the issue at hand,because it seems you have the wrong interpretation mixed up with faint imagination,what a white man will call a Stiff Necked Fool's hypotheses.
Mr enlighter. Who ask u for exolanation...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by blacknp(m): 6:54pm On Aug 01, 2018
Pavarottii:

See frusTration all over u. U still didn't answer my question.
Frustration because the Court of Appeal gave a Ruling?my guy paparotti go and get a life you miserable miscreant, you need mental enlightenment. Bloody Pharisee. Drive them back like smoke O Jah.

1 Like

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by Pavarottii(m): 6:57pm On Aug 01, 2018
blacknp:
Frustration because the Court of Appeal gave a Ruling?my guy paparotti go and get a life you need mental enlightenment. Bloody Pharisee. Drive them back like smoke O Jah.
I can see ur iq is only on insults ... Because u didn't answer my question. Please don't mention me again. Not in ur level. No wonder u support a dullard. I can see why knowledge is a wish for u.
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by Clevite(m): 6:57pm On Aug 01, 2018
The Court of Appeals did not dwell into the substantive matter which is to determine whether the Senate has the power to fix dates of election or whether it is INEC's sole power to do so. The Appellate court only addressed the jurisdiction of the lower Court to entertain the suit and the Accord Party's locus standi to institute the suit in the first place.

That a proposed law in the nature of a Bill still being debated by the Legislature can not be challenged since it has not been passed and signed into law is the only matter addressed by the court here, not whether the Senate has or does not have power to order the sequence of election time table. The Court's decision is that determining such an issue at that stage would amount to hampering the power of the Legislature while performing their duty within the scope of separation of power.

The Court's opinion is that the Senate's action would have at best been allowed to hold through by allowing them to finalise the making of the Bill and if such is signed into law by the President, then any person dissatisfied or affected by the law is at liberty to approach the Court to set aside the law.

In the case here, the Accord Party did not wait till the bill or proposed amendment was actually made into law before approaching the Court to set it aside; that was the reason why the Appeal Court described the action as "premature", even if the Accord Party had the locus standi to institute the action.

As it is, the question whether the Senate has the power to determine the sequence of election time table or not has not been determined yet. It is still undecided. If at any time in the future, the Senate revisits the issue and includes in the Electoral Act the sequence of election and such is assented to by the President, INEC or any person that feels affected can still approach the court to challenge it. It's the final decision of the Judiciary by then that will determine whether it is the Senate/Legislature that has the power to do so or INEC.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by Akpan107(m): 6:58pm On Aug 01, 2018
Racoon:
Sorry brother man.Buhari & APC are lost cause.
You're right bros...
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by PHILipu1(m): 6:59pm On Aug 01, 2018
FLYFIRE:

THE MAN THAT IS TOO ILLETERATE & DAFT TO RULE IN THE 21ST CENTURY & IS GOING BACK TO HIS COWS
With your 5% votes?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by Ihateyoumod: 7:02pm On Aug 01, 2018
ChangetheChange:

Stop fooling ur self

Wen they show u guys the the state of things u will result to insut
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by blacknp(m): 7:02pm On Aug 01, 2018
Pavarottii:
I can see ur iq is only on insults ... Because u didn't answer my question. Please don't mention me again. Not in ur level. No wonder u support a dullard. I can see why knowledge is a wish for u.
Fela talk say question wey no get answer na wetin?
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by OfficialAPCNig: 7:04pm On Aug 01, 2018
If the President fails to assent the election re-ordering bill, then he should kiss 242 billion yams good bye.

No be Maradona again? We shall see who runs the Senate.

When Tinubu was pulling his ears, he was forming EVerybody and for Nobody, yet few weeks later he invaded all public offices with his kins men

I am for everybody and for nobody my foot.
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by Icon79(m): 7:42pm On Aug 01, 2018
Wow. Come see grammar below grin Which one is "non-justiceable" again

Nigerians and their tendency to apply big words to everything.

O pari

Born2Breed:

According to the appellate court, the high court ought to have dismissed the suit for being frivolous, premature, inchoate and non-justiceable.
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by bedspread: 8:07pm On Aug 01, 2018
[s]
blacknp:
I am not sure you read it well they still need the President's assent for it to become law,without his signature they will need two third of both Houses of Assembly. Thief senate let the presidential elections come 1st in sequence it will be in favor of the the President,all their plans will fail.
[/s]
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by Olumeme: 9:36pm On Aug 01, 2018
KenOne:
I thought Adeyanju and PDP members are intelligent.This process will die in court and end up as academic exercise. If actually court of appeal nullifies the FHC judgement, i am sure attorney general will head to supreme court and file for stay of execution and the law says electoral act can not be amended 6months to election. The NASS will resume by September meaning 5months to election case closed.

Anyone that thinks this NASS will have their way on this is going on wishful thinking, they can't even muster 2/3 to carry out the amendment now that the battle line has be drawn with 50 senators paying loyalty to APC.

U're a slowpoke, wetin concern Deji with court judgements?
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by dochenaj: 9:39pm On Aug 01, 2018
seunmsg:
The decision makes no difference as the election ordering sequence as proposed by PDP and Saraki will never become law. Even if it is re-introduced and passed by the National assembly, Buhari will still veto it and Saraki cannot get the required 73 senate votes to override his veto. Sorry to burst your bubble PDP wailers, this changes absolutely nothing.
That bill has everything to do with the personal and selfish interests of the senators who will want to be sure that they have secured their seats back to the Senate before breaking their heads to help the president win. And that selfishness cuts across parties, so I am certain APC senators will vote for the bill.

1 Like

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by TheKabal: 9:43pm On Aug 01, 2018
TheFreeOne:
Gale of defections coupled with this? cheesy

Is it true Buboo is about traveling to London for treatment again? It seems Saraki and his gang 'don do am strong thing' with the tsunami of defections.

People close to Nairaland zombies should please monitor them o lest we hear stories that touch.

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by uvalued(m): 9:43pm On Aug 01, 2018
Saraki is really playing Chess buhari is playing sand sand...#healthyPresident2019 is what we DEMAND!!!
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by TheKabal: 9:44pm On Aug 01, 2018
TheFreeOne:
Gale of defections coupled with this? cheesy

Is it true Buboo is about traveling to London for treatment again? It seems Saraki and his gang 'don do am strong thing' with the tsunami of defections.

People close to Nairaland zombies should please monitor them o lest we hear stories that touch.

I am little concerned. Do you need help. You seem to have a suicidal tendency.

I am serious, I know a doctor, who can help.
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by poseidon12: 1:01am On Aug 02, 2018
Good one from the Appeals Court. The National Assembly should be allowed to do its work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by wizseller: 5:06am On Aug 02, 2018
seunmsg:
The decision makes no difference as the election ordering sequence as proposed by PDP and Saraki will never become law. Even if it is re-introduced and passed by the National assembly, Buhari will still veto it and Saraki cannot get the required 73 senate votes to override his veto. Sorry to burst your bubble PDP wailers, this changes absolutely nothing.

See ignorance....you won't know something but the zombie in you can't keep calm

President doesn't veto bills...he can only decline to assent to it

It is the NASS that vetos bills when the president refuses to assent once they can garner 2/3 majority

Try and drink some cow milk for better reasoning
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by seunmsg(m): 5:28am On Aug 02, 2018
wizseller:

It is the NASS that vetos bills when the president refuses to assent once they can garner 2/3 majority

Really? grin grin grin

You see, it is not really bad when you don't know. What is very bad however is when you don't know and you don't know that you don't know. Spewing ignorant position confidently is not a substitute for intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by Dhugal: 8:22am On Aug 02, 2018
wizseller:

The President vetoes bills.Declining assent is veto.
The National Assembly OVERRIDE vetoes.
To topic,the NASS can amend the Electoral Act even two weeks before elections.Where the zombies on this thread are getting their 6months rubbish is baffling.
Very funny set of people,grasping at the air,not even straws.
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by OlaMiki: 8:33am On Aug 02, 2018
#Fakenews
Born2Breed:
BREAKING: Court of Appeal has set aside the judgment of the FHC which nullified the Electoral Act Amendment Bill altering sequence of elections.

https://twitter.com/adeyanjudeji/status/1024653644879355904

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2018/08/a-court-clears-coast-for-nass-to-re-order-2019-election-sequence/amp/
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by wizseller: 10:13am On Aug 02, 2018
Dhugal:

The President vetoes bills.Declining assent is veto.
The National Assembly OVERRIDE vetoes.
To topic,the NASS can amend the Electoral Act even two weeks before elections.Where the zombies on this thread are getting their 6months rubbish is baffling.
Very funny set of people,grasping at the air,not even straws.

Thanks for that

NASS can override presidential veto

Nice one from you

1 Like

Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by adedayoa2(f): 1:22pm On Aug 03, 2018
seunmsg:

Really? grin grin grin

You see, it is not really bad when you don't know. What is very bad however is when you don't know and you don't know that you don't know. Spewing ignorant position confidently is not a substitute for intelligence.
this veto bills stuff was even taught in secondary school as a government student
Re: Court Of Appeal Allows National Assembly To Re-order 2019 Election Sequence by seunmsg(m): 4:54pm On Aug 03, 2018
adedayoa2:
this veto bills stuff was even taught in secondary school as a government student

No mind that ignorant guy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why I Was Absent During Buhari’s Working Visit To Lagos – Tinubu / How Smuggled Petrol From Nigeria Floods Niger, Cameroon, Benin, Togo / Atiku: I Am Truly Being Pampered In My Hometown, Hope I Don't Add Extra Weight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.