Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,779 members, 7,831,501 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe (59357 Views)

Lord Lugard Footbridge Kaduna: 116 Years After (Photos, Video) / Zungeru Building Where Lord Lugard Signed Nigeria's Amalgamation Lies In Ruins / Meet Ibrahim Nagwamatse, Northern King That Squared Off To Lord Lugard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by baby124: 10:03am On Aug 06, 2018
Christistruth00:

Azikiwe’s father was the Station Master at Zungeru ,he worked for the railways,I have been wondering about this story.
He stole the pic from a YouTube video. I will soon track down the people in that picture. The guy is a bloody liar. See how people can spoil history and tell outright lies. Na wa ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by mandax: 10:06am On Aug 06, 2018
igbodefender:
The gentleman sitting to the right of Lord Frederick Lugard in this picture (see below) is Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe.

He’s the father of Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, the last Governor-General and first President of Nigeria.

Obed-Edom Azikiwe was a very influential member of Lugard’s administration.

You can see from the photo how highly Lugard regarded him.

More About Zik’s Father
Obed Edom Azikiwe was Lord Lugard’s private secretary.

Sadly, he passed on in 1958, two years before Nigeria’s independence, at the age of 78.

Undoubtedly, he would have loved to see his son Zik sworn in as Nigeria’s first Head of State. But fate had a different plan.

Peace Through Negotiations
It was Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe that drafted – and humanised in accordance with his abillity – all the treaties Lugard signed with our traditional rulers.

He it was that drafted treaty Lugard signed with the Obong of Calabar, the Sultan of Sokoto, the Oba of Benin, the Alaafin of Oyo that came before Lugard amalgamated Nigeria.

Historians have suggested that Azikiwe softened the harshness of many of these treaties.

By so doing, he is said to have prevented bloody wars between the British and Nigerian groups by not only softening the harshness of the protectorate agreements, but also persuading both Lugard and powerful Nigerian traditional rulers to come to agreement.

Speaking on the issue, a history expert, Omoluabi Olayomi Koiki, suggested that these traditional rulers must have been happy to sign once Mr Azikiwe presented the agreements to them. They seemed to have a lot of trust in Mr Azikiwe.

The only traditional ruler who flagrantly refused to sign any treaty unless the phrase “protection” was explained to him was Mazi Jubo Juboha, also known as Jaja of Opobo.

Obed-Edom Azikiwe was based in Lugard’s head office at Zungeru. Zungeru was Nigeria’s amalgamation capital.

Zungeru was then what Abuja is to Nigeria today.

And Lugard’s office was the colonial version of Aso Rock.

The senior Azikiwe’s job can be summarised as negotiating to prevent or reduce violence between colonial Britain and Nigerian kingdoms.

Obed-Edom Azikiwe should be thanked and honoured for his work in preventing or ending wars between the colonial masters and powerful Nigerian kingdoms.

He was a master negotiator who seemed to have the trust of both Lord Lugard and our powerful traditional rulers.

And he used that influence to bring about peace. Had he not been there, you can imagine…

He didn’t succeed in all his efforts. And his son the Zik of Africa used a very different approach that together with the efforts of our founding fathers and.the Zikist Movement persuaded the British to grant Nigeria independence. But clearly, he was a father of Nigeria in his own time.

More at http://zikistmovement.igbodefender.com/2018/08/06/8044/

Propagandist - next you shall tell us that Zik, an Igbo, was the Lord Luggard who amalgamated north and south of Nigeria after a plebiscite in all of the north and south of today's Nigeria. Fulani-led propaganda is capable of anything.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Tozara(m): 10:08am On Aug 06, 2018
haqueurate:
more evidence that zik and his father "sold" nigeria to lord luggard
I hope ipob can now see who sold nigeria to the north
Lol! You'll always find them cursing Lord Luggard for bringing together people who have nothing in common, hence creating a so-called disastrous union which had always been an inevitable catastrophe waiting to happen.

Alas! Their very own kinsmen were party, to a quite significant degree, to that "abomination" of an excercise.

I earnestly 'anticipate' grin the imprecations awaiting Mr Azikiwe from angry, 'marginilized' Igbos. But of course, I can see already the usual penchant for chest-beating and bigging one's self up, no matter how dishonest, on display. A clown took the unparalleled stupidity a step further and asserted, or may I say authoritatively declared, that "NIGERIA CANNEVER WORK WITHOUT IGBOS". Perhaps, someone need inform the fool that we have a very different idea of a working Nigeria from what lunatics assume.

You will never get a more accurate definition of confusion.

5 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by aribisala0(m): 10:11am On Aug 06, 2018
baby124:

He stole the pic from a YouTube video. I will soon track down the people in that picture. The guy is a bloody liar. See how people can spoil history and tell outright lies. Na wa ooo.
Thee moment I saw it I knew it was a lie.

Such a tale cannot possibly be true aand we would be hearing it today for the first time.

That picture could be anyone anywhere and not necessarily evenn Lord Lugard or in Nigeria

Ebolas are shameless inveterate liars.

Here one idiot was claiming this is evidence that "Anambra had contact with the whiteman first" Imagine the level of thinking

6 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Chiffy: 10:12am On Aug 06, 2018
Azikiwe did not persuade the British to grant Nigeria her independence. Nigeria would still have gotten her independence in any case because at the time, the British Empire was already falling. The fall of the British Empire led to their loss of control in several countries within the years 1950 - 1970
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 06, 2018
Twistsss:
Nigeria needs a National History channel. There are so many things about the past the masses need education on.
nigeria is not good in keeping history. I am even surprised where op got this info...certainly not from nigerian achives.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by baby124: 10:16am On Aug 06, 2018
aribisala0:

Such a tale cannot possibly be true aand we would be hearing it today for the first time.

That picture could be anyone anywhere and not necessarily evenn Lord Lugard or in Nigeria

Here one idiot was claiming this is evidence that "Anambra had contact with the whiteman first" Imagine the level of thinking
Lol. Those guys even look like Macaulay and Da Rocha. They could also be servants. I am sure a family or museum has this picture somewhere and provided it to the author of that YouTube video whom I am sure can identify the people in it.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Tozara(m): 10:17am On Aug 06, 2018
bestviewer:
This is an evidence that Anambra people were the first to had Western education and were equally the first to interacted with the white men way ahead of rest of Nigeria.

GOD BLESS Zik Senior

GOD BLESS Zik Junior

GOD BLESS the United State of Anambra, the light of the entire black race.
grin grin grin

You've stopped groaning, whining and wailing. You guys now seem to be more interested in comedy. cheesy

I do not know how best to mentally evaluate you. Nor do I know the precise name for the psychological illness taking away your sanity. But there's no doubt that your delusions stem from some extraordinarily detestable malady.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by mandax: 10:17am On Aug 06, 2018
Tozara:
Lol! You'll always find them cursing Lord Luggard for bringing together people who have nothing in common, hence creating a so-called disastrous union which had always been an inevitable catastrophe waiting to happen.

Alas! Their very own kinsmen were party, to a quite significant degree, to the that "abomination" of an excercise.

I earnestly 'anticipate' grin the imprecations awaiting Mr Azikiwe from angry, 'marginilized' Igbos. But of course, I can see already the usual penchant for chest-beating and bigging one's self up, no matter how dishonest, on display. A clown took the unparalleled stupidity a step further and asserted, or may I say authoritatively declared, that "NIGERIA CANNEVER WORK WITHOUT IGBOS". Perhaps, someone need inform the fool that we have a very different idea of a working Nigeria from what lunatics assume.

You will never get a more accurate definition of confusion.

Guy, your own idea of a working country must be different from an average European's Asian's or Mideast's idea of a working country.

FYI, Igbo is the largest or second largest ethnic group in Nigeria. So this Nigeria which you agree marginalizes the Igbo now is as good as a dead country. No country which marginalizes its largest or second largest and most educated ethnic group survives. Don't you see how your Buhari chose his cabinet without any Igbo occupying any good position? See how Buhari chose Nigeria's Security cabinet without any Igbo. Silly?.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by haqueurate(m): 10:18am On Aug 06, 2018
Nicklaus619:

How dose this connect with the write up, You are so short sighted and shallow minded. I believe you never Read the write up. angry .
cry me a river, I read it and uderstood that senior azikiwe was the educated servant to colonial masters, who facilitated their conquering of nigeria by lying to the kings and chiefs and his son followed suit by selling ndigbo to the north.
like father like son, selling their people for carrots. lol

4 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Xander85: 10:22am On Aug 06, 2018
Chicagoesontop:
I keep saying it, Igbos has been there right from the onset waxing strong, but now what we got for our contribution in this country , is to be labeled terrorists, thieves and all sorts of bad names ...

I will keep saying it again and again, until this respect and status is restored back to the Igbos, this Nigeria will never work .. I happen to know Never say Never, but it this case i said NIGERIA WILL NEVER WORK WITHOUT THE IGBOS .. Mark my words .

Even the Igbos worst enemies (and there are quite a few on here lipsrsealed) who love their 'one Nigeria' would agree Igbos were pivotal to the emergence and sustenance of the geographical entity called Nigeria right up to 1st Oct' 1960! This is a fact too difficult to repudiate!

Ziks contemporaries of the time, Awo and the Sadauna, were less Nigerian and more Yoruba and Arewa, while Zik on the other hand (possibly as a result of his upbringing) was naively more Nigerian than Igbo! If he thought of his people the way Awo and the Sadauna thought of theirs, then maybe he would have realised he was tying his people into an unfavourable situation....especially when one considers the anti-Igbo sentiment of the time that came from the likes of Akintola and the Sadauna, not to mention the targeted killings of Igbos and other southerners in the north pre-1960!

For Nigeria to rediscover its mojo, we have to return its political-economy back to factory settings (ie, what we all agreed on the eve of independence in 1960).
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Tozara(m): 10:23am On Aug 06, 2018
mandax:

[s]Guy, your own idea of a working country must be different from an average European's Asian's or Mideast's idea of a working country.

FYI, Igbo is the largest or second largest ethnic group in Nigeria. So this Nigeria which you agree marginalizes the Igbo now is as good as a dead country. No country which marginalizes its largest or second largest and most educated ethnic group survives. Don't you see how your Buhari chose his cabinet without any Igbo occupying any good position? See how Buhari chose Nigeria's Security cabinet without any Igbo. Silly?.[/s]
Bunkum. I think Nigeria marginalizes the Yorubas. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 06, 2018
aribisala0:

Picks popcorn and champagne to view painment. cheesy cheesy
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by aribisala0(m): 10:28am On Aug 06, 2018
lefulefu:
nigeria is not good in keeping history. I am even surprised where op got this info...certainly not from nigerian achives.
No ! It is fiction aka Fake News
It is a LIE

That is the simple explanation
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Uguruzik(m): 10:30am On Aug 06, 2018
CAPITAL LIE, NOBODY DRAFTED ANYTHING LIKE THAT, WHICH SULTAN? RUBBISH
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Tozara(m): 10:31am On Aug 06, 2018
yellowman2225:
Imagine these potopoto people bragging because their potopoto grandfather sat beside lugard. This same lugard igbos curse for almagamating Nigeria. igbos and double standard. They shout when they are not favorite
You've got GOOD EYES, bro.

Stupid, confused babies who don't know what they want.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Tozara(m): 10:34am On Aug 06, 2018
Emeskhalifa:

It's quite disheartening how you guys are being treated but truth is, some of your guys are contributing to the ill treatment melted at you guys in general.

Take drug peddling as an instance
Please, how are they being treated?
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Tolexander: 10:39am On Aug 06, 2018
Samirana360:
u don't know lord lugard
You that know him, describe him.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Xander85: 10:41am On Aug 06, 2018
Basic123:
Azikwe father supervised yIGBO slavery to Britain while azikwe sold the whole race to tafawa balewa and Ahmadu Bello.

It's quite unfortunate that their children of now are days out of frustration,hate and jealousy will blame Awolowo,TINUBU and YORUBAS for their predicament and slavery to hausa fulanis

There's enough blame to go around!
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by maasoap(m): 10:43am On Aug 06, 2018
Chicagoesontop:
I keep saying it, Igbos has been there right from the onset waxing strong, but now what we got for our contribution in this country , is to be labeled terrorists, thieves and all sorts of bad names ...

I will keep saying it again and again, until this respect and status is restored back to the Igbos, this Nigeria will never work .. I happen to know Never say Never, but it this case i said NIGERIA WILL NEVER WORK WITHOUT THE IGBOS .. Mark my words .

I could only see a slave serving his master.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Tozara(m): 10:43am On Aug 06, 2018
maestroferddi:
It was today that Igbos have been working to uplift the state/plight of Nigerians.

When will they be accorded their due respect?
When they start respecting other Nigerians, stop preaching their own exceptionalism, and start curbing their stupid supremacist tendencies.

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 06, 2018
Chicagoesontop:

I don't understand this chestbeating. Is he the ONLY black man in the picture? Or they're all igbos? Are igbos not a majority tribe in Nigeria again? What a mentality!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by maestroferddi: 10:58am On Aug 06, 2018
Tozara:
When they start respecting other Nigerians, stop preaching their own exceptionalism, and start curbing their stupid supremacist tendencies.

Envy kee you there...
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Tozara(m): 11:06am On Aug 06, 2018
maestroferddi:
Envy kee you there...
Lol! Keep wallowing in your misery. Like I give a rat's ass about the pains and self-inflicted sufferings of fools and useless pygmies like you.

To hell with you and your marginalized souls. Savour the sourness of frustration in your sectarian hearts and on your tribalistic tongues.

Bunch of short-sighted fools.

4 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 06, 2018
aribisala0:
No ! It is fiction aka Fake News
It is a LIE

That is the simple explanation
Lol. See painment times two. I hope people are there with you in case you start talking and jumping up and down. grin
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 06, 2018
Tolexander:
You that know him, describe him.
Gbam!
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by maestroferddi: 11:18am On Aug 06, 2018
Tozara:
Lol! Keep wallowing in your misery. I could give a rat's ass about the pains and self-inflicted sufferings of fools and useless pygmies like you.

To hell with you and your marginalized souls. Savour the sourness of frustration in your sectarian hearts and on your tribalistic tongues.

Bunch of short-sighted fools.
Lamentations of a man-child who follows Igbo affairs slavishly like a monitoring spirit.

Face it and live with it...The Igboman is naturally ahead of you.

You better take a chill pill before you explode over people who are under Jacobic and Davidic anointing. Repent from strife and resentment so that your life will bloom and blossom.

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 06, 2018
baby124:

We are waiting for yua 'revelations' o. No use style run o. cheesy We dey wait for you na. cheesy
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by Tozara(m): 11:29am On Aug 06, 2018
maestroferddi:
Lamentations of a man-child who follows Igbo affairs slavishly like a monitoring spirit.

Face it and live with it...The Igboman is naturally ahead of you.

You better take a chill pill before you explode over people who are under Jacobic and Davidic anointing. Repent from strife and resentment so that your life will bloom and blossom.

I don't know much about Igbos, except that they're Nigerians sharing the same geographical boundaries.

They're probably ahead of me in a thousand things I do not know. And perhaps lagging behind me in a million others. I'm just not interested in so many stupid things.

But if there's anything I've noticed in my short time co-existing with the said group of people, it is that SOME IGBOS really are far ahead of me in certain things --- like lunacy, stupidity, inferiority complex, and rather paradoxically, strangely accompanied by superiority complex, detestable hypocricy, warped sense of entitlement, and BASELESS notion of supremacy.

JUST LOOK AT YOU. Miserable bastard.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by maestroferddi: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2018
Tozara:
I don't know much about Igbos, except that they're Nigerians sharing the same geographical boundaries.

They're probably ahead of me in a thousand things I do not know. And perhaps lagging behind me in a million others. I'm just not interested in so many stupid things.

But if there's anything I've noticed in my short time co-existing with the said group of people, it is that SOME IGBOS really are far ahead of me in certain things --- like lunacy, stupidity, inferiority complex, and rather paradoxically, strangely accompanied by superiority complex, detestable hypocricy, warped sense of entitlement, and BASELESS notion of supremacy.

JUST LOOK AT YOU. Miserable bastard.

I have only pity for you.

The Igbos should not be responsible for your failure in life so stop pouring out venom and vituperation on them...It will damage you in the long.

Emulate our entrepreneurial spirit, never-say-never attitude, can-do mentality, of course our world acclaimed gregarious outlook and live-and-let-live worldview.

Learn from the best. Maligning them will only undercut you.

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by omoelerin1: 11:39am On Aug 06, 2018
Metuh:

Lord Luggard is now the North? How wise are you
But you people always curse Lord Lugard for joining you together with the remaining part of Nigeria.
Re: Lord Lugard With Obed-Edom Chukwuemeka Azikiwe, Father Of Nnamdi Azikiwe by baby124: 11:42am On Aug 06, 2018
igbodefender:

We are waiting for yua 'revelations' o. No use style run o. cheesy We dey wait for you na. cheesy
You are truly a shameless liar and you should be banned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Muaz Magaji Tests Positive For COVID-19 After Sack For Celebrating Kyari's Death / Joke Silva At APC Women Rally For BAT2023 (Photos) / Goodluck Jonathan Returns Back To Nigeria,Given A Lovely Welcome(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.