Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,467 members, 7,850,618 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:04 AM

Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay (32425 Views)

How 25 Senators Can Impeach Saraki By Sunusi Musa / "If You Can, Impeach Saraki Legally" - Ben Murray-Bruce Fires Back At APC / We Can Impeach Buhari ---- Chairman R-apc Buba Galadima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by ZULIK: 4:42pm On Aug 10, 2018
Let's just forget about the Nigerian constitution cos there is none.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Just2endowed2(m): 4:47pm On Aug 10, 2018
i think the professor is right. It was that same 1/3 that brought saraki to power. Now Saraki will be scared as hell as FG can decide to block all opposition party and use their main party to carry out the impeachment process.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by aewhydot: 4:50pm On Aug 10, 2018
To everyone speaking, how did Saraki became d SP? Was it by 2/3 majority of d senate or 2/3 majority of d quorum formed on d fateful day?

1 Like

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Aklaw(m): 4:53pm On Aug 10, 2018
I think this man (Sagay) is suffering from an infection.......
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by edupedia: 4:55pm On Aug 10, 2018
Esseite:

Beer parlour analysis.

Sagay is beginning to sound like a broken record... and you think APC never employed this tactics in all the three years even while saraki was not on sit or available but rather chose the highly condemned democratic coup. If that was the case, buhari would have been long gone.

...do I sense great panic amongst u wailers?... una just dey start..

2 Likes

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Tecno66: 4:59pm On Aug 10, 2018
This guy is too partisan. Same is Falana. Their legal interpretations are beclouded by political considerations. A guy who said Adeosun is okay to continue as finance minister irrespective of forgery allegations is saying this. I bet you, if Saraki were APC and PDP had the 53 senators scheming to remove him, he will say they need 73 senators to remove him.
comos:
Sagay is reading Nigerian Constitution upside down
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Saintp(m): 4:59pm On Aug 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Oga no APC senator was at NASS . only PDP senators so who then were the APC senators at NASS who would effect the impeachment since there were only PDP senators there?

Was it the PDP senators who wanted to impeach saraki?

Many of you clearly have no brains to think with

Shut up

Were u there? Do you know if the other senators were close by waiting for instructions to move in?

You have brains to think yet you take sides with these stinking Nigerian politicians, is that not stupidity?

Before you waste your time replying, I don't support any naija politician whether APC or PDP. go and argue with ya mates.

2 Likes

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Yankee101: 5:07pm On Aug 10, 2018
When a 'so-called' constitutional lawyer will scuttle the same constitution he's called to defend professionally for pecuniary and primordial reasons, it's a big shame.

Nigerian lawyers, come carry una reject abeg.

2/3 of a 100 is 70. Not and imaginary number in your head.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by QuickStandard: 5:10pm On Aug 10, 2018
two-third majority of one-third out of overall Senators can impeach the Senate President, Bukola Saraki

What's this one saying?
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Remii(m): 5:11pm On Aug 10, 2018
sirequity:
Tell APC Senators to impeach Saraki and see if PDP Senators won't also rely on this your useless submission to oust Buhari
impeachment of the president is much more tedious, it cannot be completed in a day like that of the senate, even if they start now they cant complete the process before election
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by adeoba2008(m): 5:11pm On Aug 10, 2018
Why are we so hypocritical. Was all the Senate members there when Saraki became the Senate President ? The way he forced himself on them is the same way he will be shown the way out.

1 Like

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Tecno66: 5:12pm On Aug 10, 2018
Even if two third of one third can remove him, let's be matured and civilized for once. Let the house meet normally not at awkward hours like trying to get justice through the back door. A US senate or British house of commons will not go and sit at 12 midnite like witches or on Sunday evening when people are resting at home because they want to craftly remove a SP. I see the handwriting of Oshiomhole in all this. He did it successfully in Edo and thinks it can be replicated in the senate.
sirequity:

Source: https://www.headlineng.com/majority-one-third-senate-members-impeach-saraki-sagay/
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 5:15pm On Aug 10, 2018
Saintp:

Shut up

Were u there? Do you know if the other senators were close by waiting for instructions to move in?

You have brains to think yet you take sides with these stinking Nigerian politicians, is that not stupidity?

Before you waste your time replying, I don't support any naija politician whether APC or PDP. go and argue with ya mates.

Since you don't support any then I suggest you take your cretinous, hate riddled, marbles for brains mentality away from my mentions.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Johnnyessence(m): 5:17pm On Aug 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

I am actually not pained but just want to ensure what is true and right is maintained in the hallowed chambers.

You wouldn't want that because you love taking sides with evil people.

Saraki is only prolonging the inevitable. His impeachment is sure
but when omo babaoloye was in Apc he is saint. now that he left Apc, he is now evil man. i think you are hyprocrite here. keep your hatred on.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 5:18pm On Aug 10, 2018
PaChukwudi44:

Chapter V

The Legislature

Part I

National Assembly

A - Composition and Staff of National Assembly

47. There shall be a National Assembly for the Federation which shall consist of a Senate and a House of Representatives.

48. The Senate shall consist of three Senators from each State and one from the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

49. Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, the House of Representatives shall consist of three hundred and sixty members representing constituencies of nearly equal population as far as possible, provided that no constituency shall fall within more than one State.

50. (1) There shall be:-

(a) a President and a Deputy President of the Senate, who shall be elected by the members of that House from among themselves; and

(b) a Speaker and a Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, who shall be elected by the members of that House from among themselves.

(2) The President or Deputy President of the Senate or the Speaker or Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives shall vacate his office -

(a) if he ceases to be a member of the Senate or of the House of Representatives, as the case may be, otherwise than by reason of a dissolution of the Senate or the House of Representatives; or

(b) when the House of which he was a member first sits after any dissolution of that House; or

(c) if he is removed from office by a resolution of the Senate or of the House of Representatives, as the case may be, by the votes of not less than two-thirds majority of the members of that House

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#QualificationForMembershipOfNatAss

The constitution is very clear.It says 2/3 of members of the house and not 2/3 of those present at plenary cool cool cool

It does not say 2/3 members of the house. It says 2/3 MAJORITY of the members of the house.

The legal interpretation lies in the separation of 2/3 and the word MAJORITY and members of the house
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 5:18pm On Aug 10, 2018
Cockyguy11:

Gbam! well said. I hope they remember that too

The process for impeaching a president is different from that of a Senate president.

Go and read so you learn
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 5:20pm On Aug 10, 2018
Yankee101:
When a 'so-called' constitutional lawyer will scuttle the same constitution he's called to defend professionally for pecuniary and primordial reasons, it's a big shame.

Nigerian lawyers, come carry una reject abeg.

2/3 of a 100 is 70. Not and imaginary number in your head.

This is not maths this is a legal language that says 2/3 MAJORITY of the members of the house and not 2/3 OF ALL the members of the house
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by lagosrd: 5:21pm On Aug 10, 2018
Just hope his children can call him to order so that he doesn't cause democracy instability
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Dilianne(f): 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2018
Very true. But would we allow them to continue playing Nigeria like this? I we can start up something great individually... I know of some people that have done so on www.dilianne.com smiley

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by phase1: 5:23pm On Aug 10, 2018
mercenary:
Majority of the same one third can also impeach Buhari

And I'm sure PDP also has that. cheesy
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by ifiokjohn(m): 5:24pm On Aug 10, 2018
mrvitalis:

You think they used the dss and failed ?

All you need is someone raise the motion and someone secound the motion and it's done 15 mins is more than enough time....

This and the fact no pictures of apc senators was shown made us believe pdp planed the whole thing

Then it means u need 73 senators to impeach saraki just as saraki did to become senate president.
And APC is not up to 73, their are only 53, so where do u want them to get the remaining members from? is it PDP?
U know PDP will not accept, so it is then impossible to remove saraki.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by bluecircle470: 5:27pm On Aug 10, 2018
If saraki can use a simple majority of the senators in getting there as a SP then such simple majority can also impeach him. This is very simple

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 5:28pm On Aug 10, 2018
seunmsg:

Endorsed. However, APC lawmakers should get the job done and stop foot dragging. I am sick and tired of hearing about his planned impeachment. They should impeach him already.
Same way you should be sacked already from ur illegal ministry job
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by mrvitalis(m): 5:29pm On Aug 10, 2018
ifiokjohn:
Then it means u need 73 senators to impeach saraki just as saraki did to become senate president.
And APC is not up to 73, their are only 53, so where do u want them to get the remaining members from? is it PDP?
U know PDP will not accept, so it is then impossible to remove saraki.
Do you know what is quorum of a house?

That's the minimum number needed to take a binding decision and that's 1/3 of total house members

Now if you have 1/3 of the house you can initiate an impeachment for the president and the Senate president.... But the difference is is that the Senate president can be impeached in 15 mins

While the president would need a month minimum so if you can keep all apc senators out for a month sure... You only need about 45 senators to impeach buhari

But if you can keep all pdp senators out for 30 mins you can impeach the Senate president

Now my friend is the difference

1 Like

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by ifiokjohn(m): 5:34pm On Aug 10, 2018
mrvitalis:

That's the minimum number needed to take a binding decision and that's 1/3 of total house members

Now if you have 1/3 of the house you can initiate an impeachment for the president and the Senate president.... But the difference is is that the Senate president can be impeached in 15 mins

While the president would need a month minimum so if you can keep all apc senators out for a month sure... You only need about 45 senators to impeach buhari

But if you can keep all pdp senators out for 30 mins you can impeach the Senate president

oh i get u now, well i still dont want saraki impeached, let play healthy politics.
Saraki is an intelligent man ( though corrupt) and i think the country needs him because i also believe every politicians are corrupt ( buhari included)
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 5:35pm On Aug 10, 2018
phase1:

And I'm sure PDP also has that. cheesy

They don't because they are the minority.

2/3 MAJORITY means those present must be more than half the full number of membership in the house.

Plus the process for impeaching the president is totally different from that of the senate president
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by letthemknow: 5:38pm On Aug 10, 2018
Sagay`s hatred for Saraki and his support for Buhari and APC is turning him to a bias SAN who misinterprete the laws of the land to suit his party and his employer. The constitution demand for two third majority but Sagay is turning it up side down just like He was defending Kemi Adeosun even if she forged her NYSC certificate or she did not participate in the compulsory NYSC service as against the laws of the land is a call for a lawless Nigeria. Is it not the rule of law that says the punishment given to a poor person should also be given to rich person. If she commits a crime, she should be punished irrespective of her position in govt.
Sagay should stop promoting lawlessness and talk like a true constitutional lawyer that he is known to be.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Chuksonyeike: 5:46pm On Aug 10, 2018
mrvitalis:

Lol so once it comes to the impeachment of the president you want us to follow the constitution but for the Senate president you want to bypass the constitution. If 1/3 impeach Saraki then 1/3 will also impeach Buhari

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Chuksonyeike: 5:46pm On Aug 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

They don't because they are the minority.

2/3 MAJORITY means those present must be more than half the full number of membership in the house.

Plus the process for impeaching the president is totally different from that of the senate president
Shebi its Tuesday. I go laugh you tire.Nobi by noise on nairaland.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 5:47pm On Aug 10, 2018
Chuksonyeike:

Lol so once it comes to the impeachment of the president you want us to follow the constitution but for the Senate president you want to bypass the constitution. If 1/3 impeach Saraki then 1/3 will also impeach Buhari

You are clearly ignorant of the constitution.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by KingRagnar: 5:50pm On Aug 10, 2018
Saraki not in this world or the next will step down honorably, he would rather use objectionable moves to have his desperate aims come to being.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Nwanna2588: 5:50pm On Aug 10, 2018
Trying to create parity between what is clearly wrong and what is clearly correct is nothing more than madness. I believe this was a subconscious response of him. He will soon be troubled by subconscious recollections of what he said here.
The conjecture does not match a professor like him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari To Commission Osogbo High School In Osun (photo) / Edo Election: Obaseki And Wife Cast Their Votes / Heavy Shooting At Buguma In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.