Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,536 members, 7,850,830 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:47 AM

Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay (32431 Views)

How 25 Senators Can Impeach Saraki By Sunusi Musa / "If You Can, Impeach Saraki Legally" - Ben Murray-Bruce Fires Back At APC / We Can Impeach Buhari ---- Chairman R-apc Buba Galadima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 5:52pm On Aug 10, 2018
Nwanna2588:
Trying to create parity between what is clearly wrong and what is clearly correct is nothing more than madness. I believe this was a subconscious response of him. He will soon be troubled by subconscious recollections of what he said here.
The conjecture does not match a professor like him.

Too many words from you yet saying nothing.

We try to explain it to you and you still refuse to learn.

The total number of the senators are 109

Half of that number is roughly 54

A simple majority means 54 or above. Say 55 , 56, 57 senators present .

That number becomes the simple majority of the members of the house.

That simple majority forms a quorum because it is already above 1/3 of the total membership of the house and they then effect his impeachment with the votes of 2/3 of the simple majority present.

This isn't hard to understand so just in case you are still struggling to understand what I just typed, then read it again.

This is what Sagay is trying to say.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Chuksonyeike: 5:53pm On Aug 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

You are clearly ignorant of the constitution.
Mr oversabi when are you impeaching the Senate president? I will laugh the hell out of you when the Senate reconvenes on Tuesday without impeaching the Senate president
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by smirn(m): 5:55pm On Aug 10, 2018
tempest01:

So the PDP lawmakers alone can impeach Buhari?
ignorance the major problem of Nigerians especially the youths. The process of removing the president is different from that of removing the Senate President. Go read the constitution very well and stop making a fool of yourself.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by 2odd(m): 5:55pm On Aug 10, 2018
slotA4:

Nigeria constitution says 2/3 majority of the senate not 2/3 majority of the quorum or simple majority of the quorum. Please get knowledge and save yourself from preventable disgrace.
My sis ,I think all of dem need to read section 50 of the nigerian Constitution..
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Sleekfingers: 5:57pm On Aug 10, 2018
Cjrane2:
Shameful Useless talk from someone who should know better.

If that is true, why doesn't Buhari let Senators impeach the Senate President?

Why is he sending armed State Security forces to the Senate chambers to block senators from PDP from entering the senate chambers?

Yeye dey smell.

So na buhari send dss to block them. Nigerians and useless allegations are like amala and ewedu.

Show me the evidence. Then I will know that you know what you are saying
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 10, 2018
mrvitalis:

A quorum is formed by at least 1/3 of the Senate so what they say stands..... And a simple majority of the quorum is what is needed to impeach a senate president.... You are the one who needs to read
Please read the eleventh paragraph
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 5:57pm On Aug 10, 2018
Chuksonyeike:

Mr oversabi when are you impeaching the Senate president? I will laugh the hell out of you when the Senate reconvenes on Tuesday without impeaching the Senate president

Saraki ensured he called for recess immediately after defecting? WHY

His fellow PDP senators resorted to sleeping at NASS and having vigil there. WHY?

He got the services of the sacked DSS man to barricade NASS on the day he was to meet with the leaders of the senate. WHY

He knows his impeachment is only a matter of time and he knows the process involved which is why he is desperately trying to postpone the inevitable.

Impeaching him is a done deal and even he knows it
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Melonny(m): 5:57pm On Aug 10, 2018
uzobaby:
In one breath you call Sarki's emergence as senate president fraudulent ,on the other hand you clap for Adeosun who forged NYSC certificate, and you think you are still normal. ..your SAN SHIP and professorship is a disgrace to the legal bench...NBA should do the needful
Counter what he has said with an argument. The constitution states, votes of not less than two-thirds majority of the members of that House. It didn't explicitly states that " the two thirds of the entire (all) members of the house. A quorum is 1/3 of all the members of the house, then, 2/3 of the one third can impeach. Please counter with an argument not insult.
One may just think, people with no arguments should not post a counter to a thread.

1 Like

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 5:58pm On Aug 10, 2018
That is an open secret!
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by mrvitalis(m): 5:58pm On Aug 10, 2018
Chuksonyeike:

Lol so once it comes to the impeachment of the president you want us to follow the constitution but for the Senate president you want to bypass the constitution. If 1/3 impeach Saraki then 1/3 will also impeach Buhari
Was that not what I said?

But the constitution says you just need 2/3 to impeach the Senate president

But for the president you need to pass through processes.... Chief judge set up committe and all that

I don't know if you even understand with i right
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Chuksonyeike: 5:58pm On Aug 10, 2018
Butterflo enough of the noise making.Even the 2/3 of members present una no go see.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by mrvitalis(m): 6:00pm On Aug 10, 2018
ifiokjohn:
oh i get u now, well i still dont want saraki impeached, let play healthy politics.
Saraki is an intelligent man ( though corrupt) and i think the country needs him because i also believe every politicians are corrupt ( buhari included)

If buhari wanted to impeach him the way the media paints it... Saraki would have been forgotten right now

It's super easy to impeach a senate president

Obj tenure should tell you that
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Chuksonyeike: 6:03pm On Aug 10, 2018
mrvitalis:

Was that not what I said?

But the constitution says you just need 2/3 to impeach the Senate president

But for the president you need to pass through processes.... Chief judge set up committe and all that

I don't know if you even understand with i right

But your moronic prof says he doesn't need 2/3 of the house to impeach Saraki. If you bypass the law to kill me,I will do the same for you. None of the divides has enough Numbers to impeach the other
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Chuksonyeike: 6:05pm On Aug 10, 2018
mrvitalis:

If buhari wanted to impeach him the way the media paints it... Saraki would have been forgotten right now

It's super easy to impeach a senate president

Obj tenure should tell you that
OBJ did not impeach any Senate president with less 2/3.PDP had enough majority to do whatever they wanted
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 6:07pm On Aug 10, 2018
Chuksonyeike:

But your moronic prof says he doesn't need 2/3 of the house to impeach Saraki. If you bypass the law to kill me,I will do the same for you. None of the divides has enough Numbers to impeach the other

Why are you so confused?

Many of you are a disgrace to education.

That number becomes the simple majority of the members of the house present. The constitution does not say 2/3 OF ALL the members of the house and neither does it say 2/3 OF THE ENTIRE members of the house.

That simple majority forms a quorum because it is already above 1/3 of the total membership of the house and they then effect his impeachment with the votes of 2/3 of the simple majority present.

This isn't hard to understand so just in case you are still struggling to understand what I just typed, then read it again.

That is sagays comment I just explained and broke down here for you now.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Melonny(m): 6:08pm On Aug 10, 2018
slotA4:

Nigeria constitution says 2/3 majority of the senate not 2/3 majority of the quorum or simple majority of the quorum. Please get knowledge and save yourself from preventable disgrace.
To deliberate issues, amend laws in the National Assembly, it needs quorum that is, one - thirds of the house. I/3 are the house. So, 2/3 of that house can impeach.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Chuksonyeike: 6:08pm On Aug 10, 2018
Melonny:
To deliberate issues in the National Assembly, it needs quorum that one- thirds of the house. I/3 are the house. So, 2/3 of that house can impeach.
Even 2/3 of the quorum una no go see
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Nwanna2588: 6:10pm On Aug 10, 2018
Votes are to be held in abeyance until all members are present. There is no one-third quorum stated in our constitution. I don't need your kind of lesson. A situation where legerdemain should be applied in ousting an elected politician is a rape to democracy.
Butterflyleo:

Too many words from you yet saying nothing.

That number becomes the simple majority of the members of the house.

This is what Sagay is trying to say.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Chuksonyeike: 6:10pm On Aug 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Why are you so confused?

Many of you are a disgrace to education.

That number becomes the simple majority of the members of the house present. The constitution does not say 2/3 OF ALL the members of the house and neither does it say 2/3 OF THE ENTIRE members of the house.

That is sagays comment I just explained and broke down here for you now.

You are the grossly uneducated one here. 2/3 majority does not mean 2/3 of the majority. Simple English una no sabi
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Melonny(m): 6:13pm On Aug 10, 2018
Nawa o. These people have refused to understand simple things. It is no rocket science. Ha ha.
Someone beside me said, it is not "maketii" so they wouldn't understand.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 6:17pm On Aug 10, 2018
Chuksonyeike:

You are the grossly uneducated one here. 2/3 majority does not mean 2/3 of the majority. Simple English una no sabi

2/3 majority means 2/3 majority simply put.

Let me make it simpler.

It says 2/3 of majority of those who make up the entire house.

As long as those sitted are above half the total number if senators in the house then they can pass an impeachment notice
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by richeeyo(m): 6:17pm On Aug 10, 2018
comos:
Sagay is reading Nigerian Constitution upside down
Nairaland lawyer na you Sabi am

1 Like

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 10, 2018
Melonny:
To deliberate issues, amend laws in the National Assembly, it needs quorum that is, one - thirds of the house. I/3 are the house. So, 2/3 of that house can impeach.

Kindly read section 50; subsection 2c. Then you'll understand they need 2/3 majority of the entire senate to impeach the leadership and not 2/3 majority at the plenary. Judging from the precedence, impeachment of NASS leadership took place with 2/3 majority of the entire house.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by surgical: 6:33pm On Aug 10, 2018
ifiokjohn:
oh i get u now, well i still dont want saraki impeached, let play healthy politics.
Saraki is an intelligent man ( though corrupt) and i think the country needs him because i also believe every politicians are corrupt ( buhari included)
The guy is wrong, the process is cearly stated in the Constitution is 2/3 of the members, there is no where majority refers to a corum, they want to corrupt our laws they are a desperate people, majority means the larger number which 2/3 represents,1/3 can't be greater than 2/3 no matter how they spin it
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by surgical: 6:43pm On Aug 10, 2018
Butterflyleo:

You are clearly ignorant of the constitution.
you are the one interpreting wrongly you convinently omitted the operative word, which is of the house, meaning the entire house not those present or at a sitting,if it were to be so it
would have been indicated.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by SlayQueenSlayer(m): 6:52pm On Aug 10, 2018
IBENUALHASSAN:
Do we still rely on the constitution to get things done these days.Since Saraki thinks he is smart and has lost his sense of common reasoning.The prof is making some sense in his suggestion,afterall he out-smarted his former members to clintch that seat.he should be paid back in his own coins.

Saraki was elected by 57 Senators, which met the single majority requirement. Now to impeach him, you need nothing less than 2/3 majority. Don't side with PDP or APC. Side with the constitution.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 6:53pm On Aug 10, 2018
surgical:
you are the one interpreting wrongly you convinently omitted the operative word, which is of the house, meaning the entire house not those present or at a sitting,if it were to be so it
would have been indicated.

You are wrong.

Read it in full.

It says and I quote

(c) if he is removed from office by a resolution of the Senate or of the House of Representatives, as the case may be, by the votes of not less than two-thirds majority of the members of that House

It clearly says 2/3 MAJORITY of the members of that house.

This means those who sit to effect the impeachment must be more than half of the total members of the senate (OF THAT HOUSE).

But the actual impeachment requires the votes of 2/3 of that majority that is already seated such as 55, senators or above which shows MAJORITY of the numbers of THAT HOUSE.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Olubidex: 7:01pm On Aug 10, 2018
The man is correct but that solution is still not workable. I think the minimum numbers of members of senators that can carry out legislative proceedings is 30. Thus if you have seating with more than 30 senators and 2/3 of them are Apc, then Saraki can be impeached.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Butterflyleo: 7:03pm On Aug 10, 2018
Olubidex:
The man is correct but that solution is still not workable. I think the minimum numbers of members of senators that can carry out legislative proceedings is 30. Thus if you have seating with more than 30 senators and 2/3 of them are Apc, then Saraki can be impeached.

Exactly!

30 forms a quorum.

And then if you have above half of the total number of senators seated and 2/3 of them are APC then he can be impeached
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by RexTramadol1: 7:08pm On Aug 10, 2018
seunmsg:

Endorsed. However, APC lawmakers should get the job done and stop foot dragging. I am sick and tired of hearing about his planned impeachment. They should impeach him already.

And he is there

I'm sure you didn't read that part.......

Sorry he can't be there except his PDP brothers are there with him.

Cry me a river till 2019.
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 10, 2018
Melonny:
Counter what he has said with an argument. The constitution states, votes of not less than two-thirds majority of the members of that House. It didn't explicitly states that " the two thirds of the entire (all) members of the house. A quorum is 1/3 of all the members of the house, then, 2/3 of the one third can impeach. Please counter with an argument not insult.
One may just think, people with no arguments should not post a counter to a thread.
Please read the eleventh paragraph to understand my point of view
Re: Majority Of One-third Out Of Overall Senate Members Can Impeach Saraki – Sagay by dochenaj: 7:24pm On Aug 10, 2018
Roger3D:
Don't be ignorant, It takes more than just the legislature to impeach a president. The judiciary is also involved
What business has the Judiciary with impeachment? The setting up of a panel by the CJN is not a judiciary involvement.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ajimobi Fails To Deliver Polling Unit To APC / Pantami: FG Plans To Replace BVN With NIN / FG Plans N8tn Budget For 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.