Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,854 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? (22341 Views)

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? / Igbo Girls . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by Fiscabally(m): 6:33am On Jun 22, 2010
Iv seen and knew some well educated yoruba men marrying igbo girls this days.im not against this but i thought there are qualities that attracted this.my brother recently got engaged with an igbo girl and i told 1 of his friends(yoruba) who is'nt aware of it,he was like 'correct,ur bro get sense',i askd him y such comment and he xplains that igbo girls are very dedicated and helpful to their husband financially and does'nt lavish money unnecessary on material things like d yoruba girls,and he also gave me some other reasons like faithfulness to their relationship and so on.Whats ur view on this,cos it seems i might be going 4 igbo girls too.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by Fiscabally(m): 6:36am On Jun 22, 2010
What do you think?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by Acidosis(m): 7:48am On Jun 22, 2010
Fiscabally:

he xplains that igbo girls are very dedicated and helpful to their husband financially and does'nt lavish money unnecessary on material things like d yoruba girls
True talk!
Only yoruba ladies buy kitchen utencils for their unborn grand children.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by indie22(f): 2:04pm On Jun 22, 2010
That's the same way some people will say that igbo women are all about the money, they lack respect and will not be dedicated to you if you dont spend your life savings taking care of them and their siblings, (b4 i get crucified, i'm igbo too)

Tribe has nothing to do with certain qualities a woman might possess, it's more about the woman's personality and upbringing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by 006(m): 4:47pm On Jun 22, 2010
A beg, make una leave our girls alone, which ones we go come marry?

Make una stop am o!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by excanny: 12:06pm On Jun 24, 2010
Actually i'll say sth thats quite politically incorrect. No proper igbo girl will marry a yourba cock(i mean born and breed in igboland).
Most of the igbo girls who are born in yourbaland(especially Lagos) grow up with some form of inferiority complex. I've personally met quite a number. Usually they speak little or no igbo, are unfamiliar with igbo culture, but fluent in yourba.
So yourba cocks with no game to hook up a yourba chick find these as easier prey. Ofcourse they usually falld to find 'solace' for their inferiority complex(not all though)
So for a yourba cock to marry an igbo girl 2 conditions must be met:
1. The igbo girl is breed in yourbaland, usually speaks yourba, culturally disconnected from her native igbo homeland.
2. The yourba cock has no game to get a yourba girl.
From my findings and interveiws on inter-tribal relationships, its the same reasons why you have more hausa men marrying yourba girls. Many of my hausa friends have yourba wives

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by oweniwe(m): 1:18pm On Jun 24, 2010
Acidosis:

True talk!
Only yoruba ladies buy kitchen utencils for their unborn grand children.
grin
excanny:

Actually i'll say sth thats quite politically incorrect. No proper igbo girl will marry a yourba cock(i mean born and breed in igboland).
Most of the igbo girls who are born in yourbaland(especially Lagos) grow up with some form of inferiority complex. I've personally met quite a number. Usually they speak little or no igbo, are unfamiliar with igbo culture, but fluent in yourba.
So yourba cocks with no game to hook up a yourba chick find these as easier prey. Ofcourse they usually falld to find 'solace' for their inferiority complex(not all though)
1. The igbo girl is breed in yourbaland, usually speaks yourba, culturally disconnected from her native igbo homeland.
From my findings and interveiws on inter-tribal relationships, its the same reasons why you have more hausa men marrying yourba girls. Many of my hausa friends have yourba wives

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by excanny: 5:27pm On Jun 24, 2010
excanny:

Usually they speak little or no igbo, are unfamiliar with igbo culture, but fluent in yourba.
, The igbo girl is breed in yourbaland, usually speaks yourba, culturally disconnected from her native igbo homeland.
So what do we call this type of person? Still igbo? Tribalistic minds will. But to me, probably not a proper igbo. This one of the reasons i'm advocating that igbo men should not be carrying along their women/daughters to foreign lands, especially in this unsafe jungle called Nigeria. They should be in igboland and having monies sent to them if need be, while we hustle anywhere. This is how to live in foreign lands. This way we wont have the above identity confusion.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by Fiscabally(m): 10:52pm On Jun 25, 2010
@oweniwe,u thought wrong though,my immediate brother got engaged to an igbo girl that was born n completely bred in abia
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by whiteroses(f): 12:42am On Jun 26, 2010

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 1:01am On Jun 26, 2010
dont you think the question to ask is why do igbo girls keep on running after yoruba guys?andd why on earth do you cook those lies about igbo and yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by excanny: 1:11am On Jun 26, 2010
Fiscabally:

@oweniwe,u thought wrong though,my immediate brother got engaged to an igbo girl that was born n completely bred in abia
Yes. Once in a while, there's an exception to the normal rules. But looking at it from a holistic point of veiw, the margin is slim(probably 1 percent)compared to the ones on the other hand.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by Acidosis(m): 1:35am On Jun 26, 2010
whiteroses:

sorry to divert/ how about igbo guys, i'm in relationship with one and when i tell people they just think why? when i challenged a girl that says why an igbo guy, she says his family are going to[b]show me pepper[/b] igbo inlaws prefers their son to marry a fellow igbo girl, i'm going to experience culture shock and be a stranger in their community i've met his mom twice she hated me. i know when people dont want me around, he told me she used to be a sec teacher in lagos, i tried to make convo and said i heared you once taught in lagos she said me? lagos? i've never been there before!what for? shocked now i'm worried
everything there is nothing but the truth. But love they say ~conquers all things! I wouldn't want to confuse you further so just search within yourself, listen to your mind and make a good decision.
Cheers!!!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by Acidosis(m): 1:51am On Jun 26, 2010
AYODEJI4LOVE:

dont you think the question to ask is why do igbo girls keep on running after yoruba guys?
No! But, why do Igbo guys keep running away from their girls?
Answer: the bribe price is too much! Thoughts about their shops/stores in Aba, Onitsha and Alaba won't make them spend as much as 1million naira a yoruba guy spends for the bride price of an Igbo girl (fact).
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by excanny: 1:54am On Jun 26, 2010
whiteroses:

sorry to divert/ how about igbo guys, i'm in relationship with one and when i tell people they just think why? when i challenged a girl that says why an igbo guy, she says his family are going to show me pepper igbo inlaws prefers their son to marry a fellow igbo girl, i'm going to experience culture shock and be a stranger in their community i've met his mom twice she hated me. i know when people dont want me around, he told me she used to be a sec teacher in lagos, i tried to make convo and said i heared you once taught in lagos she said me? lagos? i've never been there before!what for? shocked now i'm worried
Dear, dont be worried. Believe, igbos are the most accommodating i've seen in this world. Why? Igbos are very migratory in nature. They cannot to be hostile to strangers because most times they are often strangers. Probably you are yoruba. She worked in Lagos? Many igbos who lived/worked in Lagos develop what i call 'retaliatory dislike' (myself inclusive) due to the unwelcome attitude of the locals to immigrants. Its your boyfriend that will 'sell' you to his mum, together with your attitude. Normally, igbo girls are raised to be hardworking, they do all stuff of tough task, like ride bicycles. I'm not saying you ride a bicycle, just showing how tough igbo girls are expected to be. If you are not lousy and industrious, you'll be good enough for any igbo mother-in-law and accepted.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by excanny: 2:04am On Jun 26, 2010
AYODEJI4LOVE:

dont you think the question to ask is why do igbo girls keep on running after yoruba guys?andd why on earth do you cook those lies about igbo and yoruba.
Go and start another thread for that. Its off-point here.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by tpiah: 4:15am On Jun 26, 2010
I'm not saying you ride a bicycle

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by Fiscabally(m): 7:41am On Jun 26, 2010
@whiteroses,sory 4 dat,really,u v gat to b worried,bt as excanny has said,i bliev wit tyme and much interactns wit understandin thru ur man,things could surely work out fine.wishin u d best!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by excanny: 10:46am On Jun 26, 2010
@tpiah
I was only giving an instance. So why the rancour?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by whiteroses(f): 9:46pm On Jun 26, 2010
excanny:

Dear, dont be worried. Believe, igbos are the most accommodating i've seen in this world. Why? Igbos are very migratory in nature. They cannot to be hostile to strangers because most times they are often strangers. Probably you are yoruba. She worked in Lagos? Many igbos who lived/worked in Lagos develop what i call 'retaliatory dislike' (myself inclusive) due to the unwelcome attitude of the locals to immigrants. Its your boyfriend that will 'sell' you to his mum, together with your attitude. Normally, igbo girls are raised to be hardworking, they do all stuff of tough task, like ride bicycles. I'm not saying you ride a bicycle, just showing how tough igbo girls are expected to be. If you are not lousy and industrious, you'll be good enough for any igbo mother-in-law and accepted.
lol i'm still gonna be myself but will make an effort as well hopefully we'll get along, thanks
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by Freiburger(m): 9:25am On Jun 27, 2010
Thought the Igbo ladies with do every thing to stay with their own men, why are they now going beyond boundry?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by oweniwe(m): 10:09am On Oct 25, 2010
My boss's daughter (from delta north) is getting married to an ekiti guy next month. Now this yoruba guys marrying igbo girls thing is getting worrisome shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by InkedNerd(f): 10:21am On Oct 25, 2010
It's because we're nice girls grin. I'm not gonna lie, often times I find myself lingering toward Yoruba men as well [not intentionally though]. It just happens. Igbo, don't you like me?!?!? Is it only the Yoruba men that like me? Where are my Igbo men hiding?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by asha80(m): 11:55am On Oct 25, 2010
oweniwe:

My boss's daughter (from delta north) is getting married to an ekiti guy next month. Now this yoruba guys marrying igbo girls thing is getting worrisome shocked shocked

i thought those guys said they are not igbo

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by excanny: 1:08pm On Oct 25, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

It's because we're nice girls grin. I'm not gonna lie, often times I find myself lingering toward Yoruba men as well [not intentionally though]. It just happens. Igbo, don't you like me?!?!? Is it only the Yoruba men that like me? Where are my Igbo men hiding?

We love you, sweetie. The place you hang out- Romance section is infested with Yoruba boys.

Maybe you need to come more to[b] Politics[/b] section that where the Igbo dudes hang out. I did ask you out sometime, though, but you didn't reply.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by oweniwe(m): 1:23pm On Oct 25, 2010
asha 80:

i thought those guys said they are not igbo
they mean they're igbo in delta state and not igbo in the east. Its like telling a kwara man that he's yoruba. Anyway, delta igbo or rivers igbo is still igbo. Abeg let's not start this igbo debate again.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by excanny: 1:36pm On Oct 25, 2010
oweniwe:

they mean they're igbo in delta state and not igbo in the east. Its like telling a kwara man that he's yoruba. Anyway, delta igbo or rivers igbo is still igbo. Abeg let's not start this igbo debate again.

Guy, chillax, those people you are talking about said they are not Igbos. Simple and short.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by asha80(m): 1:38pm On Oct 25, 2010
oweniwe:

contradictory statements.

actually na because you in particular made that statement na why i highlight am.if it had been any other person i for just no send am.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by oweniwe(m): 1:49pm On Oct 25, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

grin yeh. The yoruba men. 190, dobodobo, mr cork, MOBO44, seun, etc
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 25, 2010
oweniwe:

grin yeh. The yoruba men. 190, dobodobo, mr cork, MOBO44, seun, etc
Apart from Seun, none of the ediots above are yoruba. get it right.

whiteroses:

sorry to divert/ how about igbo guys, i'm in relationship with one and when i tell people they just think why? when i challenged a girl that says why an igbo guy, she says his family are going to show me pepper igbo inlaws prefers their son to marry a fellow igbo girl, i'm going to experience culture shock and be a stranger in their community i've met his mom twice she hated me. i know when people dont want me around, he told me she used to be a sec teacher in lagos, i tried to make convo and said i heared you once taught in lagos she said me? lagos? i've never been there before!what for? shocked now i'm worried
Girl, better drop that thing. . . .do you see a bright future with him? shocked shocked

excanny:

This is so shallow grin grin grin

What findings and interviews? ROTFL. What married woman in her right mind would tell you that she married a Yoruba man because of inferiority complex?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by tpia5: 4:16pm On Oct 25, 2010
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? by tpia5: 4:19pm On Oct 25, 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Birmingham City University Hosts Ooni Of Ife As Ooni Speaks At Chatham House(pix / Asaba Traditionalists Curse Those Sending Money From Abroad To Fuel Cult War / Igede, The Untold Story Of A Golden Tribe And Our Aspirations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.