Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:56 AM

Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary (14401 Views)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni With His Wife & Daughters (Holiday Pictures) / Kaita: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary / KAITA: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by canuck(m): 11:13pm On Jun 22, 2010
[b]YAKUBU (Ya-ku-bu)
v. Ya*ku*bu, Ya*ku*bu*ed, Ya*ku*bus

1. To utterly squander once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, especially one that will cause pain to/mourning among millions of people

2. To mistake a platter of gold for a potty, and to go ahead and defecate all over it, while millions watch in distress, dread and disbelief

3. To be presented with an open door of success and to woefully fail to step in (Please see actual photo of this historically disappointing event)

4. To lack the zest, fervor, and drive to complete the easiest of tasks

5. To fail awfully at a very easy and uncomplicated assignment

(Etymology: Derived from Yakubu Aiyegbeni’s horribly missed opportunities during Nigeria’s lackluster performance against South Korea at the 2010 Soccer World Cup)

Usage:

"Mrs. Marriage Counselor, I am terribly pained! It was our wedding night! I was ready. . .But. . . But. . .He didn’t know what to do! I tried to help, but he Yakubu’ed!”

"All she needed to do was show up and the get the job that was waiting for her – Guess what? She Yakubu’ed the opportunity.”

Prayer: "Father, may I not Yakubu any door You open in my life in Jesus name!"

Example of the pain/mourning referenced in #1 above: “Yakubu! My unborn child won't forgive him” (Source: Acidosis)

Synonyms:

1. Waste foolishly
2. Fritter away
3. Dissipate casually
4. Lose effortlessly
5. Waste pipe (Source: chi-baby's papa!)

OTHER MEANINGS AND DERIVATIVES

YAKUBUOLOGY (Ya-ku-bu-o-lo-gy)
n. Ya*ku*bu*o*lo*gy

A situation where family demons travel long distance (no visa required) with a person, wait for that individual’s moment of glory, and strike that person with a persistent lack of common sense.
Usage: “That man Yakubus from time to time. That’s why nothing works for him!”

YAKUBU (Ya-ku-bu)
n. Ya*ku*bu, Ya*ku*bu*ed, Ya*ku*bus

Sociology: A situation where the ghastly performance of ONE individual triggers large-scale cases of hypertension, screaming, collasping, sighing, and sometimes, extended periods of loss of appetite among OTHER people in the society. Please note: The perpetuator remains perfectly healthy.

YAKUBU (Ya-ku-bu)
n. Ya*ku*bu, Ya*ku*bu*ed, Ya*ku*bus

When an individual or organization capitulates or fails to perform the least of its expected duties
Usage: "I'm pissed the bank is Yakubued; how am I supposed to get some money now?!"
(Source: OgidiBoy)

YAKUBOO (Ya-ku-boo)
n. v. interj. v.intr. Ya*ku*boo, Ya*ku*boo*ed, Ya*ku*booes

A deep-throated sounding expression of disdain, derision, or disrespect communicating instant disapproval of lackluster performance.
Usage: "Twenty minutes into the Super Chickens' poor performance, the deafening sound of 'Yabukuboo!' rented the air!!!"
(Source: btlasisi)

FATKUBU (Fat-ku-bu)
n. v. interj. v.intr. Fat*ku*bu, Fat*ku*bu*ed, Fat*ku*bues

To be so grossly overweight (usually between 40-60 lbs over) that the execution of simple tasks become herculean, arduous or strenuous.
Usage: "Doctor, help! I am so FATKUBU that I ran out of breath just shaking hands with you!!!"
(Source: Mcaudrey)

OTHER USES

"Afolabi is a Yakubu waiting to happen! Etuhu, Shittu, Ayila? All of them are Yakubus waiting to happen. Tragic!"
(Source: nearest)

NOTE: Watch this space - This new word will be updated based on hilarious and thought-provoking contributions from NL in the service of all English-speaking countries!

Abeg, nor Yakubu this opportunity o!

Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by mamagee3(f): 11:16pm On Jun 22, 2010
Chei. . .I bet Kaita would be thanking the stars for missing today's match. . .

Yakubu took the attention away from him. grin
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by adonisgold: 11:25pm On Jun 22, 2010
May the Yakubus of our fathers not haunt us.

After all the Yak, Yak,Yak, the Yak , Yakubued!
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by naso2(m): 11:25pm On Jun 22, 2010
ol boy u made my day/night. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by canuck(m): 11:26pm On Jun 22, 2010
@ mama-gee

The pain of KAITAstrophy has been replaced with the anguish of YAKUBUology  cheesy
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by canuck(m): 11:28pm On Jun 22, 2010
adonisgold:

May the Yakubus of our fathers not haunt us.

Aminnnnn!
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jun 22, 2010
Why did you yakubued him?
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by mikuz(m): 11:29pm On Jun 22, 2010
WAOH!!!oboy see talent !!!
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by OgidiBoy(m): 11:30pm On Jun 22, 2010
You'll can hate on Yakubu now, but when you'll see him on the street tomorrow in his flashy car, you'll be kissing his boot. grin

I think this thread should be Yakubued grin grin grin
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by whiteroses(f): 11:30pm On Jun 22, 2010
dint he ammend his mistake by scoring another but i stand corrcted if i'm wrong anyway, its high time we free kaita he no they there and we still lost, our nation suck naturally at Football on int'l level so lets not take the anger out on the red bororo no more death threat for him ejo lol
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by Ruq: 11:32pm On Jun 22, 2010
This makes no sense. If names get included in dictionary everytime. Almost every name should be in the dictionary. There's alot of eff ups. What do you have to say about the house of reps?
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by Dolemite(f): 11:34pm On Jun 22, 2010
Dammit I Yakubued my chance to get a girls number I met on the street today. grin
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by Rhydem: 11:34pm On Jun 22, 2010
I remember this one time I saw this fiiiiine girl, I went over and fell over, I Yakubu'ed BIG TIME!
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by canuck(m): 11:34pm On Jun 22, 2010
@ waooo

You have to watch your usage of this new word o! Please see the correction of your post below:

"Why did you yakubued Yakubu him?"

Please use word as a Regular Verb, not a Non-Continuous or Irregular Verb. OK? You're a solid A+ student for trying grin
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by canuck(m): 11:37pm On Jun 22, 2010
Dolemite:

Dammit I Yakubued my chance to get a girls number I met on the street today. grin

@ Dolemite: A1 Parallel! You're too sharp in the usage of this new word jor! grin

Ruq:

This makes no sense. If names get included in dictionary everytime. Almost every name should be in the dictionary. There's alot of eff ups. What do you have to say about the house of reps?

@ Ruq: F9 - Olodo rabata! Go repeat the class. . .for the 3rd and last time  cheesy
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by canuck(m): 11:39pm On Jun 22, 2010
OgidiBoy:

You'll can hate on Yakubu now, but when you'll see him on the street tomorrow in his flashy car, you'll be kissing his boot. grin

You and who? Nigerians get class pass dat side jor! We nor get him time at all!

If that "flashy car" is not sound-proof, him go just dey hear "Mmmmssshheeeewwww! Yeye!" anywhere he goes! cheesy
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by mamagee3(f): 11:40pm On Jun 22, 2010
canuck:

@ mama-gee

The pain of [b]KAITAstrophy
has been replaced with the anguish of YAKUBUology cheesy[/b]
shocked shocked shocked grin grin
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by KORLAR(m): 11:42pm On Jun 22, 2010
yakubu is such a craaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyy fellow, i dont know why we should have not sent him 4rm the national team,
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by Igwe9(m): 11:45pm On Jun 22, 2010
lemme make this quick before i yakubu my chances in this first page:- grin

---- see how people are here kaitaring yakubu name with a lot of super eagled comments,
sad
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by landtraza(m): 11:46pm On Jun 22, 2010
whiteroses:

dint he ammend his mistake by scoring another but i stand corrcted if i'm wrong anyway, its high time we free kaita he no they there and we still lost, our nation suck naturally at Football on int'l level so lets not take the anger out on the red bororo no more death threat for him ejo lol
why are you yakubuing your mercy to unrepentant sinners.  cheesy
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by chibaby5(f): 11:47pm On Jun 22, 2010
Yakubu is a cow shyt!. .  angry angry in the words of my papa ' yakubu is a Waste pipe! '  cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by OgidiBoy(m): 11:47pm On Jun 22, 2010
WOW ! this thread just made it to the front page shocked shocked shocked grin grin

Anyways I'm pissed the bank is Yakubued, how am I supposed to get some money now. angry
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by Acidosis(m): 11:48pm On Jun 22, 2010
canuck:

@ mama-gee

The pain of KAITAstrophy has been replaced with the anguish of YAKUBUology  cheesy

so funny
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by Rhydem: 11:49pm On Jun 22, 2010
I went for Job interview today - The secretary was telling me such rubbish I just Kaitarized her face - But thinking about it I Yakubu'ed my chances there.
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by landtraza(m): 11:49pm On Jun 22, 2010
nna waaaaaaa for this south coreans self, de no fit yakubu one chance at all cheesy
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by mamagee3(f): 11:50pm On Jun 22, 2010
chi-baby:

Yakubu is a cow shyt!. .  angry angry in the words of my papa ' yakubu is a Waste pipe! '  cheesy cheesy grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by canuck(m): 11:51pm On Jun 22, 2010
landtraza:

why are you yakubuing your mercy to unrepentant sinners.  cheesy

Kai! Word just land, see as Naija dey chew am for mouth like dry Choco Milo! Landtraza, you do well  wink
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by denitro(m): 11:52pm On Jun 22, 2010
PRESENT TENSE   PAST TENSE   FUTURE TENSE
   YAKUBU               YAKUBU        YAKUBUBU
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by chibaby5(f): 11:54pm On Jun 22, 2010
^ cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by nearest(m): 11:55pm On Jun 22, 2010
landtraza:

nna waaaaaaa for this south coreans self, de no fit yakubu one chance at all cheesy
They yakubued alot at their defence, but yakubu yakubued all of them! This is TRAGIC
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by Ekiti1: 11:57pm On Jun 22, 2010
"Yakubu" meaning: were, oloriburuku, dalerudaleru, akotileta, omo ale, eediot, stupid silly, (nairalanders pls join me!) asinwin, crazy, mad, kaitarer, yakuburer,,
PLS I NEED HIS EMAIL ADD OR PHONE NO, PLZZZZZ
Re: Yakubu: A New Word Added To Oxford English Dictionary by canuck(m): 11:59pm On Jun 22, 2010
@ nearest

Oh my!!!!!! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Arsenal Defender Koscielny Retires From France After Criticizing France Manager / DOWNLOAD UCL FINAL: Juventus Vs Real Madrid 1-4 2017 All Goals & Highlights / Yekini Was Murdered - Says His Lawyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.