Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,309 members, 7,819,055 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World (15758 Views)

CAN Protests Moves To List Nigeria Among Arab Nations To Fight ISIS / The Richest Countries In Africa - Is Nigeria Among? Lets See / Nigeria Among World's Major Investment Destinations - KPMG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jun 23, 2010
afam4eva:

How come it is the white man that decides who is an illiterate and who is not. What variables did they use cos i beleive illiteracy varies from culture to culture
Rolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll eyeeeeezzzzzzzzz.

Sometimes I just wonder. . . . O.M.G
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by ElRazur: 8:57pm On Jun 23, 2010
FL Gators:

THANK YOU JARE!!!!

All these ppl are just being patriotic. Them think say their villgae begins and ends with the global world.

How can they be patriotic, when these sort of actions have kept us from developing?

I mean, we go about thinking we are the "Giant of Africa" and we are "amongst the best in the world".  .   .   .   . yet when we are cut down to size like we saw in the world cup, these same people end up looking for something else to blame, instead of dealing with the fundamental issues we have.

My point? Be patriotic, but at least engage common sense.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Jun 23, 2010
ElRazur:

[size=13pt]Be patriotic, but at least engage common sense.[/size]

Now that is just too much! Imagine that, demanding too much from my people!! How dare you?? Why don't you ask them to put aside their egos, and stand for what is right at all times, while you are at it? Sheeesh!!!

undecided
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by AjanleKoko: 9:15pm On Jun 23, 2010
No need to get hysterical, folks.

The funny thing about statistics, it depends on who's looking undecided

Check out the graphic from Mckinsey's recent Africa development report.

My comments about this so-called E9, I think it's more or less countries that have similar development indices.
Nigeria, given its huge population, is always going to be grouped with some of the BRIC nations, Brazil and India I can see feature on the least. Not surprising.

Comparatively, I think we're not doing badly in Africa.

Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 23, 2010
kobojunkie will not kill me grin grin
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by ElRazur: 9:21pm On Jun 23, 2010
FL Gators:

kobojunkie will not kill me grin grin

I love Kobo. grin

AjanleKoko:

No need to get hysterical, folks.

The funny thing about statistics, it depends on who's looking undecided

Comparatively, I think we're not doing badly in Africa.

Yes data can be interpreted in several ways, but no matter how much you try to put a spin on this particular one, one thing keeps coming up, there is high illiteracy in Nigeria. That one na the koko wey we suppose focus on.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by AjanleKoko: 9:36pm On Jun 23, 2010
ElRazur:

Yes data can be interpreted in several ways, but no matter how much you try to put a spin on this particular one, one thing keeps coming up, there is high illiteracy in Nigeria. That one na the koko wey we suppose focus on.

68% literacy is hardly high illiteracy.
It means, in layman terms, 32% of a 150m population are illiterate. Hardly a national catastrophe, considering that Incredible India is at 59% literacy (almost half of Indians are illiterate).

We're not doing great. But we also are not doing that badly. Hardly a national emergency yet. We are, after all, a developing country.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by ElRazur: 9:42pm On Jun 23, 2010
AjanleKoko:

68% literacy is hardly high illiteracy.
It means, in layman terms, 32% of a 150m population are illiterate. Hardly a national catastrophe, considering that Incredible India is at 59% literacy (almost half of Indians are illiterate).

We're not doing great. But we also are not doing that badly. Hardly a national emergency yet. We are, after all, a developing country.

Are you kidding me? 68% is considered a B+/A- when grading paper. How can that not be high?

Another example is this, if 68% of Nigerians are killed in ethnic cleansing, I wonder if that will be high enough for you? smiley

My problem here is that, instead of us focusing on Nigeria, we are forever trying to compare with others. This is counter productive, because we get the false sense of security that we ain't doing too bad, when evidence suggest that we are. undecided

Malaysia and Ghana all got their independence in the same decade as us. Malaysia is way developed than us, and so is Ghana. Using the term "developing nation" to sugar coat it or soften the blow won't work with me. The thing wey no good, no get another name, but no good. grin
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by AjanleKoko: 9:43pm On Jun 23, 2010
Another funny 'statistic'. China's literacy is put at 90%, despite the fact that English teachers are among the highest paid professionals in China
I guess the lesson there is simple. Don't make only English your official language. After all, South Africa has eleven. undecided
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Kobojunkie: 9:46pm On Jun 23, 2010
Literacy is not about ENGLISH language! It has little/nothing to do with that.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by debosky(m): 9:50pm On Jun 23, 2010
I think the 69% literacy rate is overly generous - I'd put the figure closer to 40% since many of the students in 'school' are still illiterate.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by CarlosVent(m): 9:54pm On Jun 23, 2010
DIS IS AMAZING.
HABA
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by redsun(m): 9:56pm On Jun 23, 2010
I wonder what one will call an islamiic ''scholar'' that supports the act of paedophilia,literate or illiterate?
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by cold(m): 9:56pm On Jun 23, 2010
A professor once got into a boat & a convo ensued btw him and the boat owner:-
Professor:young man,did you go to school?
Boat boy:no prof i cldn't afford it
Professor:ah!Half your life is gone.

Suddenly a storm hit & the boat swung dangerously,threatening to capsize

Boat boy:prof can you swim?
Professor:no i can't!
Boat boy:ah!All your life is gone

Make your deductions.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 23, 2010
CONGRATULATION NIGERIA

WE MUST BE IN TOP 10 IN BAD THINGS

I FELT SORRY FOR BEEN A NIGERIANS
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Kobojunkie: 9:58pm On Jun 23, 2010
redsun:

I wonder what one will call an islamiic ''scholar'' that supports the act of paedophilia,literate or illiterate?

Actually, they are now considered to be LITERATE grin
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by AjanleKoko: 9:58pm On Jun 23, 2010
ElRazur:

Are you kidding me? 68% is considered a B+/A- when grading paper. How can that not be high?

Another example is this, if 68% of Nigerians are killed in ethnic cleansing, I wonder if that will be high enough for you? smiley

My problem here is that, instead of us focusing on Nigeria, we are forever trying to compare with others. This is counter productive, because we get the false sense of security that we ain't doing too bad, when evidence suggest that we are. undecided

Malaysia and Ghana all got their independence in the same decade as us. Malaysia is way developed than us, and so is Ghana. Using the term "developing nation" to sugar coat it or soften the blow won't work with me. The thing wey no good, no get another name, but no good. grin

Malaysia, yes. Ghana . . . don't make me laugh, mate.
Ghana is not 'developed', not by a long stretch. You can't even compare South Africa to Malaysia in terms of output, let alone Ghana.

debosky:

I think the 69% literacy rate is overly generous - I'd put the figure closer to 40% since many of the students in 'school' are still illiterate.

Has illiteracy's basic definition changed from being able to read and write? Do you need to be able to solve partial differential equations to be 'literate'?Language doesn't even have to be English.
I guess all the old Yoruba folks who can read the Bible in their language are all 'illiterate'. Even Crowther was 'illiterate'.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jun 23, 2010
ActiveMan:

CONGRATULATION NIGERIA

WE MUST BE IN TOP 10 IN BAD THINGS

I FELT SORRY FOR BEEN [/b]A [b]NIGERIANS
Look at this one, let me guess, you were counted amongst the stats.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by jamnaijalo: 10:04pm On Jun 23, 2010
69% is not good by any measure. There is a lot of room for improvement. If you want to be the best, don't compare yourselves to the worst.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by ElRazur: 10:05pm On Jun 23, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Malaysia, yes. Ghana . . . don't make me laugh, mate.
Ghana is not 'developed', not by a long stretch. You can't even compare South Africa to Malaysia in terms of output, let alone Ghana.

Huh? Erm okay, I have a feeling Ghana must be since they have more basic amenities in place than us, I guess they must be because they have a higher GDP, I guess they must be because they are still in the world cup. grin

I guess all the old Yoruba folks who can read the Bible in their language are all 'illiterate'. Even Crowther was 'illiterate'.

Bad example, Samuel Ajayi Crowther is not one. After all, he translated the Bible from English to Yoruba. You will need a high level of literacy to pull off such a feat.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by AjanleKoko: 10:05pm On Jun 23, 2010
@Gators
At least he can type and post stuff on the Internet. And you could understand him.
I wonder what some of you guys would say if you worked in the Middle East, as I once did. You guys will assess Arab literacy in the GCC countries as 5%, I'm sure. The average Arab chap can't even string a proper English sentence together. Even Egyptians with Masters degrees.

@Elrazur,
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
You crack me up, man!

Sure, they are still in the World Cup. Our boys stink, no doubt. But. . . amenities? GDP? What have you been reading?

Ghana's GDP is US$6bn.

Nigeria’s First Bank, Nigerian Breweries, and Zenith Bank International—ranked 37th, 40th, and 48th, respectively, in the African Business’s ‘Africa’s Top 250 Companies’ for 2010'—have a combined market value of US$8 billion. That’s US2 billion more than Ghana’s GDP!
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by debosky(m): 10:07pm On Jun 23, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^
At least he can type and post stuff on the Internet. And you could understand him.
I wonder what some of you guys would say if you worked in the Middle East, as I once did. You guys will assess Arab literacy in the GCC countries as 5%, I'm sure. The average Arab chap can't even string a proper English sentence together. Even Egyptians with Masters degrees.

AJ let's be honest with ourselves - do the arabs study in English all their lives? Nigerians have no excuse for our abysmal level of communication in a language we learn all our lives.

Ask the same Arab to read/write or converse in Arabic and he'll show his level of intelligence.
FL Gators:

ROTFLMAO!!
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Kobojunkie: 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2010
FL Gators:

oMG . . . that is so WICKED!!! ROFLMAO
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by ElRazur: 10:15pm On Jun 23, 2010
Ajanlekoko

Them no get nepa problem. grin

I am not sure if it is GDP or the other one, can't remember. The one that measures the income in relation to population and development. Anyone know what the heck am on about?
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by AjanleKoko: 10:16pm On Jun 23, 2010
@debo,

You and Elrazur seem to think I am defending Nigeria. I don't work for the government, unfortunately.
Of course, literacy is very important to national development. I do not contest that for a second. I also don't say we have done well. But for me, Nigeria has not done badly. And I'll tell you why I think so.

Have you guys ever interacted with Indians outside the UK, US, and Canada? They only speak Hindi. Go to the Gulf. Maybe Dubai. Nigerians kuku go there a lot.

In Dubai, Indians can only be found as labourers and taxi drivers, because of their terrible English skills. All the indoor jobs that require some level of literacy (Macdonalds, Pizza Hut, hotel front desk, shop attendants) are all Filipinos.

Yet India outstrips China as the world's largest supplier of skilled manpower, and the largest outsourcing destination for software. I was in China in January, and visited Huawei's R&grin Center. Who were the guys (in China) doing all the software development? You guessed it, Indians!
Yet China has statistically a higher literacy rate than India. What are we saying sef?
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jun 23, 2010
AjanleKoko:

@Gators
When will you Nigerians stop comparing yourselves to other people? Lol that's one of the many reasons we're not progressing. Because alabi is in step one, it's okay for Ikechukwu to remain in step 2 and not progress.

Anywaz, because you're an engineer, as I'm also aspiring to be one, I'm going to give you a lot of respect aha wink
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by AjanleKoko: 10:22pm On Jun 23, 2010
^^
I believe there is a term for what you state there.
It is known as benchmarking.

Economists and Marketers use it to know exactly where they stand relative to the environment in which they operate. Savvy?
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Kobojunkie: 10:25pm On Jun 23, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Have you guys ever interacted with Indians outside the UK, US, and Canada? They only speak Hindi. Go to the Gulf. Maybe Dubai. Nigerians kuku go there a lot.

In Dubai, Indians can only be found as labourers and taxi drivers, because of their terrible English skills. All the indoor jobs that require some level of literacy (Macdonalds, Pizza Hut, hotel front desk, shop attendants) are all Filipinos.

Hindi is the Lingua franca in India. So an indian who can read and write hindi is considered literate.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 23, 2010
Savvy.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by AjanleKoko: 10:31pm On Jun 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Hindi is the Lingua franca in India. So an indian who can read and write hindi is considered literate.

What about people who can speak and write Yoruba or Hausa? or Ibo?
I can at least speak of Hausa. Even the BBC recognises that the language is widespread enough to have a Hausa service. Or Google, that has Hausa, Ibo, and Yoruba versions.
Most of the old folks I know in my village go to church and read their Yoruba Bibles.
Even Shuwa Arabs in the North-East of Nigeria speak and write Arabic very fluently.

Are these people not literate?
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by debosky(m): 10:32pm On Jun 23, 2010
@ AJ

Like you said, Indians in Dubai are representative of the underbelly of Indian society - their lowest castes are the ones who go to work as labourers. The best dominate in their areas of endeavour.

Are we exporting labour the way India is doing? No.  undecided

We are not excelling in any area and are simply dropping lower in the reckoning of nations.
Re: Nigeria Among Nine Most Illiterate Countries In The World by redsun(m): 10:32pm On Jun 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Actually, they are now considered to be LITERATE grin

Are they?Then literacy can otherwise mean stupidi ty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Replies Buhari's Call For Jonathan's Resignation / We’ll Accept The Challenge If You Make Family A Campaign Issue, Presidency Tells / Be Prepared To Play Credible Opposition, Mark Tells PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.