Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,246 members, 7,811,691 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs (2082 Views)

Help! I Always Dream Of Snakes! / Two Snakes Found Fighting In Church After Prayers - Evangelist Chibuzo Fredrick / In The Beginning There Was An End. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2018
IN THE BEGINNING: SNAKES HAD LEGS

The first book of the bible (God’s word); the book of Genesis, gives us an account of how God created the heavens, the earth, and everything on it. He created plants, animals, and then finally created Man.

From this account, we find out that He created different species of animals, of which today, the animal scientists or biologists have classified into these groups:

Amphibians
Reptiles
Birds
Fishes
Mammals
Invertebrates

The group that I picked a great interest in is the Reptiles group.

I have discovered that all the animals in this group all have legs, and they are often characterized to have scales on their skins, EXCEPT THE SNAKE (SERPENT), which doesn’t have legs. For example, all these reptiles have legs:

Lizards

Crocodiles

Monitor Lizards

Alligators

Komodo Dragons

Chameleons

Tortoises

Geckos

Skinks

Now my belief is this: The snake, like other reptiles, had legs (actually four legs like other reptiles). Here is the proof in Genesis 3:14

“And the Lord God said unto the serpent (snake), Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; UPON THY BELLY SHALT THOU GO, AND DUST SHALT THOU EAT ALL THE DAYS OF THY LIFE”.

The bolded statement in the above bible scripture is a testimony to this fact: Snakes were legged creatures in the past. God cursed the snake to be the ONLY animal that moves on its belly, because it deceived the Woman (Eve) at the garden to disobey God after God had instructed her and her husband (Adam) not to eat the forbidden fruit. This simply means before God cursed it, the snake didn’t crawl back then in the garden as it does now.

In conclusion, although I’m not a scientist, and I don’t have any scientific proof to prove this theory of mine, I believe the bible, which is God’s word, has the key to unlocking mysteries and revealing truth about the earth’s history.

This is the revelation I got about this topic, and if you have any contrary argument to this fact, I will be glad to know. Thanks and remain blessed.

2 Likes

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by Shelumiel: 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2018
Lovely writeup sire .

1 Like

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by chiiraq802(m): 9:44pm On Aug 19, 2018
I Concur.

1 Like

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 10:03pm On Aug 19, 2018
Thanks Bro. God bless
Shelumiel:
Lovely writeup sire .
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 10:04pm On Aug 19, 2018
Thanks Bro. God bless
chiiraq802:
I Concur.
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by nairalife2013(m): 10:13pm On Aug 19, 2018
Good but I was expecting to see a leedle piksure a snake wid legs.�
〰〰〰
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by spongeisback: 10:18pm On Aug 19, 2018
Snakes are not the ONLY animal that move on their belly.

Worms, some species of lizards and skinks, slugs and eels so who cursed them?!

owoshuyi:

God cursed the snake to be the ONLY animal that moves on its belly, because it deceived the Woman (Eve) at the garden to disobey God after God had instructed her and her husband (Adam) not to eat the forbidden fruit. This simply means before God cursed it, the snake didn’t crawl back then in the garden as it does now.

14 Likes

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by NPComplete: 10:36pm On Aug 19, 2018
spongeisback:

And the funny thing is the other ignorant nitwits on the thread that actually agree with the OP.

12 Likes

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 11:10pm On Aug 19, 2018
are worms and eels reptiles?
spongeisback:

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 11:12pm On Aug 19, 2018
lol, na only Adam n Eve dey that time na. unfortunately no phone or camera then to take picture with.
nairalife2013:
Good but I was expecting to see a leedle piksure a snake wid legs.�
〰〰〰

1 Like

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by capitalzero: 12:09am On Aug 20, 2018
owoshuyi:

The first book of the bible (God’s word); the book of Genesis, gives us an account of how God created the heavens, the earth, and everything on it. He created plants, animals, and then finally created Man.

From this account, we find out that He created different species of animals, of which today, the animal scientists or biologists have classified into these groups:

Amphibians
Reptiles
Birds
Fishes
Mammals
Invertebrates

I have discovered that all the animals in this group all have legs, and they are often characterized to have scales on their skins, EXCEPT THE SNAKE (SERPENT), which doesn’t have legs. For example, all these reptiles have legs:

Lizards

Crocodiles

Monitor Lizards

Alligators

Komodo Dragons

Chameleons

Tortoises

Geckos

Skinks

Now my belief is this: The snake, like other reptiles, had legs (actually four legs like other reptiles). Here is the proof in Genesis 3:14

“And the Lord God said unto the serpent (snake), Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; UPON THY BELLY SHALT THOU GO, AND DUST SHALT THOU EAT ALL THE DAYS OF THY LIFE”.

The bolded statement in the above bible scripture is a testimony to this fact: Snakes were legged creatures in the past. God cursed the snake to be the ONLY animal that moves on its belly, because it deceived the Woman (Eve) at the garden to disobey God after God had instructed her and her husband (Adam) not to eat the forbidden fruit. This simply means before God cursed it, the snake didn’t crawl back then in the garden as it does now.

In conclusion, although I’m not a scientist, and I don’t have any scientific proof to prove this theory of mine, I believe the bible, which is God’s word, has the key to unlocking mysteries and revealing truth about the earth’s history.

This is the revelation I got about this topic, and if you have any contrary argument to this fact, I will be glad to know. Thanks and remain blessed.

Did the serpent that spoke to Eve have legs?
As recorded at Genesis 3:14 , Jehovah God addressed the serpent that had deceived Eve in the garden of Eden. God said: “Because you have done this thing, you are the cursed one out of all the domestic animals and out of all the wild beasts of the field. Upon your belly you will go and dust is what you will eat all the days of your life.” The Bible does not specifically state that the animal used in tempting Eve had previously had legs but lost them. While the wording of Genesis 3:14 might lead some to think so, we need not necessarily conclude that prior to this curse, serpents had legs. Why not?
Principally because the real object of Jehovah’s judgment was Satan​—the invisible spirit who had misused that lowly animal. The Bible describes Satan as “the father of the lie” and “the original serpent.” Both of these expressions apparently point back to Satan’s using a visible animal, a serpent, as his mouthpiece to induce Eve to disobey God’s command.​— John 8:44; Revelation 20:2 .
God created serpents, and Adam had apparently given serpents their name before Satan’s deceptive act. The unreasoning serpent that spoke to Eve was not to blame. It would have been unaware that Satan was manipulating it, and it could not understand the judgment that God rendered against the disobedient parties.
Why, then, did God speak of the serpent’s physical abasement? The behavior of a serpent in its natural environment, crawling on its belly and flicking its tongue as if to lick up dust, fittingly symbolized Satan’s debased condition. Having previously enjoyed a lofty position as one of God’s angels, he was consigned to the lowly condition referred to in the Bible as Tartarus.​— 2 Peter 2:4 .
Further, as a literal serpent might wound a man’s heel, Satan in his debased state would ‘bruise the heel’ of God’s “seed.” ( Genesis 3:15 ) The primary part of that seed proved to be Jesus Christ, who temporarily suffered at the hands of Satan’s agents. But the symbolic serpent’s head will, in time, be permanently crushed by Christ and his resurrected anointed Christian companions. ( Romans 16:20 ) Thus, God’s directing his curse toward the visible serpent aptly pictured the debasement and ultimate destruction of the invisible “original serpent,” Satan the Devil

2 Likes

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by spongeisback: 7:12am On Aug 20, 2018
Oga you said snakes are the ONLY animal that walks on its belly. No worms and eels aren't reptiles but glass lizard and some species of skinks are, so how come they also walk on their bellies

owoshuyi:
are worms and eels reptiles?

2 Likes

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by Maamin(m): 7:59am On Aug 20, 2018
capitalzero:

Did the serpent that spoke to Eve have legs?
As recorded at Genesis 3:14 , Jehovah God addressed the serpent that had deceived Eve in the garden of Eden. God said: “Because you have done this thing, you are the cursed one out of all the domestic animals and out of all the wild beasts of the field. Upon your belly you will go and dust is what you will eat all the days of your life.” The Bible does not specifically state that the animal used in tempting Eve had previously had legs but lost them. While the wording of Genesis 3:14 might lead some to think so, we need not necessarily conclude that prior to this curse, serpents had legs. Why not?
Principally because the real object of Jehovah’s judgment was Satan​—the invisible spirit who had misused that lowly animal. The Bible describes Satan as “the father of the lie” and “the original serpent.” Both of these expressions apparently point back to Satan’s using a visible animal, a serpent, as his mouthpiece to induce Eve to disobey God’s command.​— John 8:44; Revelation 20:2 .
God created serpents, and Adam had apparently given serpents their name before Satan’s deceptive act. The unreasoning serpent that spoke to Eve was not to blame. It would have been unaware that Satan was manipulating it, and it could not understand the judgment that God rendered against the disobedient parties.
Why, then, did God speak of the serpent’s physical abasement? The behavior of a serpent in its natural environment, crawling on its belly and flicking its tongue as if to lick up dust, fittingly symbolized Satan’s debased condition. Having previously enjoyed a lofty position as one of God’s angels, he was consigned to the lowly condition referred to in the Bible as Tartarus.​— 2 Peter 2:4 .
Further, as a literal serpent might wound a man’s heel, Satan in his debased state would ‘bruise the heel’ of God’s “seed.” ( Genesis 3:15 ) The primary part of that seed proved to be Jesus Christ, who temporarily suffered at the hands of Satan’s agents. But the symbolic serpent’s head will, in time, be permanently crushed by Christ and his resurrected anointed Christian companions. ( Romans 16:20 ) Thus, God’s directing his curse toward the visible serpent aptly pictured the debasement and ultimate destruction of the invisible “original serpent,” Satan the Devil

Op you can get enlighten by this post above. Snakes were created as they are (without arms and limbs).
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by MuttleyLaff: 9:25am On Aug 20, 2018
owoshuyi:

Amphibians
Reptiles
Birds
Fishes
Mammals
Invertebrates

Lizards

Crocodiles

Monitor Lizards

Alligators

Komodo Dragons

Chameleons

Tortoises

Geckos

Skinks

This is the revelation I got about this topic, and if you have any contrary argument to this fact, I will be glad to know. Thanks and remain blessed
#IfYouKnowYouKnow
If you know, you know
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by johnydon22(m): 9:50am On Aug 20, 2018
The ridiculousness of the Christian belief at its finest

5 Likes

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 10:08am On Aug 20, 2018
so all in all, what am just driving out here is, SNAKES HAD LEGS and the bible has proof. That's all.
spongeisback:
Oga you said snakes are the ONLY animal that walks on its belly. No worms and eels aren't reptiles but glass lizard and some species of skinks are, so how come they also walk on their bellies

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 10:12am On Aug 20, 2018
And Oga, I didn't say snakes are the only animals that crawl on its belly, I said they are the only reptiles that do so, and up till now I didn't know about glass lizards. But it doesn't change my belief that Snakes had legs before it was cursed.
spongeisback:

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 10:15am On Aug 20, 2018
Bro, u can post ur comment without another person. If u don't like or agree with the post and other people's comment, u can just WAKA PASS. Thanks
NPComplete:

And the funny thing is the other ignorant nitwits on the thread that actually agree with the OP.
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 10:24am On Aug 20, 2018
Despite being known as leg-less lizards, there are a few species of glass lizard that have very small stub-like legs near the rear vent (these animals are also known as glass snakes). source: https://a-z-animals.com/animals/glass-lizard/
spongeisback:

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by Seun(m): 10:56am On Aug 20, 2018
I’m pleased that owoshuyi has learned about the existence of glass lizards, which have no legs just like snakes.

It’s unfortunate that capitalzero has put so much effort into justifying a story that probably started as a tale by moonlight for Jewish kids.

It makes no sense for Satan to use a snake to talk to Eve, since snakes cannot talk. If the story was true, Satan would have used a parrot!

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by owoshuyi(m): 11:32am On Aug 20, 2018
It's not a story or tale. It's the truth. Maybe seeing a snake talk amazed Eve and that's one of the reasons y she easily fell for Satan's deceit.
Seun:
I’m pleased that owoshuyi has learned about the existence of glass lizards, which have no legs just like snakes.

It’s unfortunate that capitalzero has put so much effort into analyzing a story that probably started as a tale by moonlight for Jewish kids.

It makes no sense for Satan to use a snake to talk to Eve, since snakes cannot talk. If the story was true, Satan would have used a parrot!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:45am On Aug 20, 2018
Seun:

It’s unfortunate that capitalzero has put so much effort into analyzing a story that probably started as a tale by moonlight for Jewish kids.

When were you born again Continue to argue with the ancients

1 Like

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by johnydon22(m): 12:50pm On Aug 20, 2018
owoshuyi:
It's not a story or tale. It's the truth. Maybe seeing a snake talk amazed Eve and that's one of the reasons y she easily fell for Satan's deceit.
Or maybe in a realistic setting, Eve would be running away from a talking snake.

Stories with elements of anthropomorphized animals are common in almost every culture. It's simply folklore but somehow you take Jewish folklore more serious than others.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by capitalzero: 1:09pm On Aug 20, 2018
Seun:

information in Bible is real,authetic and reliable. Try to study Bible with an open mind.

1 Like

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by Seun(m): 4:17pm On Aug 20, 2018
capitalzero:
information in Bible is real,authetic and reliable. Try to study Bible with an open mind.
Do you know the name of the writer of the book of Genesis? How can you vouch for a book when you don’t even know who wrote it?

3 Likes 6 Shares

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by sonofthunder: 4:31pm On Aug 20, 2018
Seun:
Do you know the name of the writer of the book of Genesis? How can you vouch for a book when you don’t even know who wrote it?
Orange... is the colour named after the fruit or the fruit named after the colour?
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by RexEmmyGee: 4:40pm On Aug 20, 2018
Seun:
Moses. Without an open mind and willingness to surrender to the supremacy of God, there are things that will forever be a mystery. You cannot understand them using your knowledge it will only lead to confusion.
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by Seun(m): 4:43pm On Aug 20, 2018
owoshuyi:
And Oga, I didn't say snakes are the only animals that crawl on its belly, I said they are the only reptiles that do so, and up till now I didn't know about glass lizards. But it doesn't change my belief that Snakes had legs before it was cursed.
The common ancestors of snakes had legs. They ‘lost’ their legs because they didn’t need legs anymore. It wasn’t a curse to them, but a blessing, to not have to maintain a body part that does nothing for them. That’s the same reason why we don’t have tails, by the way.

owoshuyi:
Granting the power of speech to an animal that is physically incapable of speaking is amazing. It’s similar to enabling elephants to fly. I would think that only the creator would be capable of doing such things. Is your Satan all-powerful, too? If not, what are the limits of his power?

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by Seun(m): 5:13pm On Aug 20, 2018
RexEmmyGee:
Moses.
Q1: The book of Genesis contains stories that were said to have taken place centuries before Moses was supposed to have been born. How did Moses get this information? Were the words of the book dictated to him by God?

Q2: The same people who said Genesis was written by Moses also said Deuteronomy was written by Moses, but chapter 34 talks about things that happened after he died. What is your explanation for this?

Without an open mind and willingness to surrender to the supremacy of God, there are things that will forever be a mystery. You cannot understand them using your knowledge it will only lead to confusion.
If you have never opened your mind and surrendered to the supremacy of other Gods, such as Allah, what gives you the right to ask anybody to do the same for your God?

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by capitalzero: 7:34pm On Aug 20, 2018
sonofthunder:

Orange... is the colour named after the fruit or the fruit named after the colour?

jamb question!!!!!!!!
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by capitalzero: 7:40pm On Aug 20, 2018
Seun:

Q1: The book of Genesis contains stories that were said to have taken place centuries before Moses was supposed to have been born. How did Moses get this information? Were the words of the book dictated to him by God?

Q2: The same people who said Genesis was written by Moses also said Deuteronomy was written by Moses, but chapter 34 talks about things that happened after he died. What is your explanation for this?

If you have never opened your mind and surrendered to the supremacy of other Gods, such as Allah, what gives you the right to ask anybody to do the same for your God?

1.Through supernatural means
2. Yes, he wrote most parts of it. just like a book can be credited to an author even after his death,though he has not completed the book.
Re: In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs by tintingz(m): 8:40am On Aug 21, 2018
capitalzero:

1.Through supernatural means
2. Yes, he wrote most parts of it. just like a book can be credited to an author even after his death,though he has not completed the book.
There's no archeological evidence Moses existed talkless of writing a scripture.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Sin That Cannot Be Forgiven? / Why Arent There Any Nigerian Saints In Christianity? / Jesus, A Real Human Being

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.