Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,483 members, 7,812,496 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum (19453 Views)

Nnamdi Okafor: I Will Rather Be A Refugee Or Die In Ukraine Than Return / Jewish Refugee Wills €2Million To French Village For Protection Against Nazi / Trump Wants To Make US Visas Harder For Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by nigeriapenmedia: 7:18am On Aug 23, 2018
News source: https://www.nigeriapen.com.ng/canadian-lawyers-against-court-ruling-that-affects-nigerians-id8756631-html/

.A recent ruling by Canada's refugee board makes it harder for Nigerians to be granted asylum, and refugee lawyers are unhappy about how unfair it is.

The Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers (CARL) is dragging the Canadian government to court over a recent court ruling that will make it hard for Nigerians to be granted asylum in the North American country.

According to a report by New York Times, the association is displeased with the recent decision of Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) to establish as a legal precedent its ruling to deny a Nigerian woman’s asylum request.

The unnamed Nigerian woman was denied asylum even though she claimed she fled Nigeria to escape the practice of female genital mutilation.

The court ruled that she could have sought refuge away from her rural family home in any of Nigeria’s large cities of Ibadan or Port Harcourt, and not necessarily run all the way to Canada.

The IRB seized on the ruling to designate it as a “jurisprudential guide” or legal precedent in considering all future Nigerian asylum cases.

According to CARL, this decision is unfair to thousands of Nigerians who make up at least 10,000 of the 30,000 asylum seekers that have illegally walked across the Canada-United States border since January 2017, according to government figures.

The association said the decision means Nigerians would now likely face a higher bar to gain asylum status than they did in the past with their acceptance rate (33% as of June 2018) already below the average (47 %) for all those who crossed the border illegally, according to data from the IRB.

“It’s very problematic. It enhances the evidentiary burden on claimants from Nigeria in a way that I say is unfair,” Lorne Waldman, an attorney with the association, told Reuters.

According to New York Times, CARL filed a request for a judicial review of the new guideline in federal court in Toronto in July, seeking to block the new evidentiary requirements for Nigerians and migrants from China, India and Pakistan against whom the IRB has made a similar decision.

An IRB spokesperson said the decision was taken to ensure “consistency and efficiency in decision-making” about refugee claims from what she described as a “major source country.”

IRB ruling has already affected a Nigerian’s asylum claim The IRB has already enforced the legal precedent to deny Nigerian claimants refugee status, as a tribunal member ruled against granting asylym to a Nigerian man and his family on grounds that there were safe places for them to live in Nigeria.

The man, identified as Samson, said he was a prominent property developer in Nigeria when he began to be targeted by people he suspects to be rival developers.

According to his asylum claims, Samson said he and his family were attacked repeatedly and moving to another city did not deter his detractors.

He said this led him to flee with his family to the United States and cross the border into Canada.

“I can’t imagine having to go back to a country where our lives are not safe … They should send me back, but not the kids,” he said.

His lawyer, Anne Castagner,is preparing to appeal his case but is equally worried about other upcoming cases in light of the IRB ruling.

“I don’t think the real refugees should suffer from the fact that we have a lot of Nigerians coming in,” she told New York Times.

Canada working hard to stop illegal Nigerian immigrants Amid worries at the rise of Nigerian migrants crossing into Canada with refugee claims, it was revealed in May 2018 that the Canadian government was leaning on United States of America’s visa officials in Nigeria with the hope of limiting the number of visas issued to Nigerians to move to America.

This measure was taken after the Canadian government noticed a growing trend of asylum seekers illegally walking across the United States of America’s border to file refugee claims in Canada.

Many of the Nigerian asylum seekers are noted to have arrived bearing valid U.S. visas after having spent very little time in the United States.

A spokeswoman for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada told Reuters on May 2, 2018, that two Canadian officials were sent to Lagos to work directly with their counterparts in the U.S. visa office.

The Canadian government is under pressure to get the situation under control and is trying to secure its borders more while also obeying its law on refugees and maintaining its image.

Read More at >>>>>Nigeriapen.com.ng
News source: https://www.nigeriapen.com.ng/canadian-lawyers-against-court-ruling-that-affects-nigerians-id8756631-html/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by hisgrace090: 7:23am On Aug 23, 2018
Nigeria will soon be rejected by all if care is not taken seriously.

32 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by agabusta: 7:31am On Aug 23, 2018
The unnamed Nigerian woman was denied asylum even though she claimed she fled Nigeria to escape the practice of female genital mutilation.

The court ruled that she could have sought refuge away from her rural family home in any of Nigeria’s large cities of Ibadan or Port Harcourt, and not necessarily run all the way to Canada.

Chai, see story. You filed a refugee status to escape genital mutilation grin grin

Instead of you to confess that it is actually economic mutilation that you are running away from.

We need to up our game and develop our country to avoid all this embarrassment on our people.

125 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by thesicilian: 7:39am On Aug 23, 2018
The truth is that too much of everything will always have repercussions. Almost every Nigerian is relocating to Canada, are there no other countries? And the problem is not helped by the few very dumb ones who continue to make all of all look dumb like them. How can you give such a flimsy excuse as genital mutilation, in this day and age? How many villages still do that?!

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by 9japrof(m): 7:51am On Aug 23, 2018
Una think say oyibo no sabi anything again...

What a lame reason to seek asylum in Canada, female mutilation(what da fork), you stay in the village, but you get transport come Canada, but no get transport go Abuja or Lagos.

Oyibo man says that their munu don do grin , let the woman go to Colombia to seek asylum, at least any where outside naija na abroad tongue

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Emmafe(m): 7:52am On Aug 23, 2018
Canada should pls have mercy o, our government had failed us na why o cry

Check my signature for phone deals

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Dujardin(m): 7:53am On Aug 23, 2018
Am not surprised, they have to protect their citizens from my desperate kinsmen. We brought this upon ourselves.

We Nigerians too open eye and we don't have conscience wherever money is involved.

If there is anything we learnt in PMB's 10 days holiday, it is that Nigeria has the resources and know what to do in order to be a developed country but, the will is not there.

13 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Biggers82(m): 7:54am On Aug 23, 2018
Let them start coming back home ni

5 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by DaV8King(m): 7:54am On Aug 23, 2018
Na we dey cause all this things.

Common FGM again na im she dey run............yeye reason even to me tbh

6 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by ednut1(m): 7:54am On Aug 23, 2018
Because everyone dey use same format.
Am gay
They want to do female genital mutilation for my daughter
Nigeria is not safe bt u dont live in middle belt or north east

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by tstx(m): 7:55am On Aug 23, 2018
Asylum from what abeg..

1 Like

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Frezhkid10(m): 7:55am On Aug 23, 2018
Genital mutilation......Dis one is high ooooo....

2 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by sammirano: 7:56am On Aug 23, 2018
Seriously it's annoying, they should block them all. Nonsense

4 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by dingbang(m): 7:56am On Aug 23, 2018
shocked
Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Minjim: 7:56am On Aug 23, 2018
Foreign countries are now smarter
How can you say you ran from Nigeria to escape female genital mutilation?!
If they practice it in ur village, can't you run to Lagos?
These are the people spoiling Nigeria's name.

19 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by redcliff: 7:57am On Aug 23, 2018
thesicilian:
The truth is that too much of everything will always have repercussions. Almost every Nigerian is relocating to Canada, are there no other countries? And the problem is not helped by the few very dumb ones who continue to make all of all look dumb like them. How can you give such a flimsy excuse as genital mutilation, in this day and age? How many villages still do that?!

other countries sef dey reject my brother... nigeria dey spoil everything everywhere

7 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 23, 2018
just when I was about passing through Sahara desert then enter through somalia .... pls don't tell me I'm stuck here in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Shookonekilla: 7:57am On Aug 23, 2018
Who can blame.her? look at Nigeria and the life Nigerians live daily it is sub human.

The life Nigerians live daily reminds you that Humans evolved from the animal, hence we share the common survival instinct trait. We strive , compete and claw each other to death literally to achieve freedom and financial security. Just like the animals, we try to protect our pack (family). But at the end of the day when faced with the tough choice we bare our fangs and bite down hard, because really there are no saints in the animal kingdom, only breakfast and dinner.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by calculator123(m): 7:57am On Aug 23, 2018
sad..

1 Like

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Gecoz: 7:59am On Aug 23, 2018
If na usa now una go see as everyone go dey insult Trump like say na we get USA.. This immigrant issue is turning something else..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by dermmy(m): 8:02am On Aug 23, 2018
Asylum for what? Assylum for our economic woes. Hehehe

3 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by jaxxy(m): 8:02am On Aug 23, 2018
Nigeria the once Giant of Africa. If not for our leaders and our make it at any cost good or bad attitude Canada shud be the 1 begging us to come visit or stay. Now we have become a nuisance

4 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 23, 2018
I think it's better for Nigerians to use other legal means to relocate to Canada instead of using fake asylum excuses.....I mean there are several relatively peaceful, stable African countries for those whose lives are "under threat" grin cheesy

Ultimately, we need to make Nigeria work....Get your PVC....

**OperationVoteOutPDPAPC

14 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by dermmy(m): 8:03am On Aug 23, 2018
jaxxy:
Nigeria the once Giant of Africa.

Now the snail of Africa grin

5 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by sanmibukunmi: 8:06am On Aug 23, 2018
agabusta:

Chai, see story. You filed a refugee status to escape genital mutilation grin grin

Instead of you to confess that it is actually economic mutilation that you are running away from.

We need to up our game and develop our country to avoid all this embarrassment on our people.
This is what I was thinking, I it were met, I would told them that I need a better environment for my personal development and Nigeria does not provide that.
Will they deny them assylum if they say this?
Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by jaxxy(m): 8:07am On Aug 23, 2018
dermmy:

Now the snail of Africa grin

My bro it’s time we call a spade a spade o!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by flyca: 8:08am On Aug 23, 2018
Very GOOD!
If you must relocate, get your papers right and move. Asylum is backdoor ojoro migration.

Also, I wish other developed countries would tighten their laws to make it harder for Africans to relocate for frivolous reasons (starting from our political class), except you have something really good to offer! And it should be on interim basis. Africans should sit their asses down and develop Africa. Those countries we are running to was built by other people.

We need more aggrieved people in Africa who are willing to drive a revolution that will birth a new Africa. Running away is not the solutuon.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by wittyt98(m): 8:09am On Aug 23, 2018
. you fled Nigeria to escape the practice of female genital mutilation? grin that's a lame ass excuse fam grin learn how to lie

2 Likes

Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Observer007(m): 8:10am On Aug 23, 2018
And I'm very sure most of these people seeking asylum didnt bother to vote in the last elections, contributing to this mess that Nigeria is currently in.
Re: Canada's Refugee Board Makes It Harder For Nigerians To Be Granted Asylum by Melchizedek3(m): 8:12am On Aug 23, 2018
Donald Trump was right when he said "Nigeria is a shithole" country. Hey Nigerians listen up, take it or spit it out your damn government doesn't care about you! @ProudlyIsraelite

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nairaland Blogger Factboyz Visits Arochukwu For Architecture Research (pics) / Petrol Tanker Explodes In Ogun, Two Die, 12 Vehicles Burnt / People Have Abandoned Travelling, Now Send Goods To Families - Kaduna NURTW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.