Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court (20654 Views)

Buhari To PDP, EU: El-rufai Spoke In National Interest / PDP To Buhari: Do Not Subjugate Your Interest As National Interest / National Interest Supersedes Individual Rights - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Minjim: 8:56am On Aug 31, 2018
almayda:
The law was made for man,man was not made for the law.Decisions should be for the benefit of man and not for the benefit of the law.

What makes up a nation?

2 Likes

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Minjim: 8:57am On Aug 31, 2018
ITbomb:

In case you didn't get the full gist, Senate hearings on those issues has indicted many and some convicted

Senate hearing you say?
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by phase1: 8:58am On Aug 31, 2018
jaxxy:

Yes the court decides what constitutes national interest. If u take N. Kanu case he was unlawfully detained agreed and when finally realeased on bail based on the courts orders and conditions he Nk went ahead to disregard his bail conditions that alone shud send him back to detention with no bail. Even in civilised clime if u flout ur bail or parole conditions u get a severe purnishment by the court also.

In dasuki’s case if he’s realeased it will be on strict conditions, maybe on house arrest and no media discussion. If he flouts that bail condition he will get charged severely for that with no bail. That’s how the law shud work. It applies both ways not just to Buhari alone.

In the end the court should determine who and how bail conditions are flouted. You can't sit in your hut and start postulating that Mr A or B flouted bail conditions.

The Judiciary should be supreme in every democracy. A US high court ordered Trump to turn order the turn around of an airplane deporting a woman and her kid back to El salvador even while the case was in appeal, the woman and her kid were returned back to the US as the court threatened to hold the president in contempt.
Some of you pro-tyrants begging buhari to suspend to the consistution and become authoritarian and even declare himself president for life will gnash your teeth, the day you are on the receiving end.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by goodforme: 8:58am On Aug 31, 2018
I don't understand all these arguments, Mr president was talking to a group of lawyers and told them they should put national interest above individual right in their line of duties, he never said he will be the one to judge. Can somebody explain to me?

2 Likes

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 31, 2018
[quote author=slivertongue post=70766388]YES. bt National Interest(NI) is a collection of individual interest. there is no nation witout individuals. NI is vague[/qu

I think you should go back to our learned friends ( Lawyers) to explain to you what they actually mean by" National interest supersedes individual interest", collection of individual interest is not, I repeat; is not National interest for example IPOB, I must make you to understand that at a particular point in time it is only the president that rules what is in the interest of the nation. please check the powers of a president in a democratic dispensation before you argue with me or reply me.

it will actually make more sense if the youths of Nigeria are well informed and will be able to keep history. this will enable them to comment intelligently and argue reasonable
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 31, 2018
krendo:
Let the courts decide when to override the law

That’s the issue!

I think you should go back to our learned friends ( Lawyers) to explain to you what they actually mean by" National interest supersedes individual interest", collection of individual interest is not, I repeat; is not National interest for example IPOB, I must make you to understand that at a particular point in time it is only the president that rules what is in the interest of the nation. please check the powers of a president in a democratic dispensation before you argue with me or reply me.

it will actually make more sense if the youths of Nigeria are well informed and will be able to keep history. this will enable them to comment intelligently and argue reasonable

2 Likes

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by slivertongue: 9:02am On Aug 31, 2018
[quote author=Corrinthians post=70768270]
NI dosnt uphold vices bt positive individual values. citizens decides wats NI
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by jaxxy(m): 9:03am On Aug 31, 2018
phase1:

In the end the court should determine who and how bail conditions are flouted. You can't sit in your hut and start postulating that Mr A or B flouted bail conditions.

The Judiciary should be supreme in every democracy. A US high court ordered Trump to turn order the turn around of an airplane deporting a woman and her kid back to El salvador even while the case was in appeal, the woman and her kid were returned back to the US as the court threatened to hold the president in contempt.
Some of you pro-tyrants begging buhari to suspend to the consistution and become authoritarian and even declare himself president for life will gnash your teeth, the day you are on the receiving end.

I’m not supporting tyranny bt I will support disregard for law and order. Did Kanu not flout his bail conditions? It was pretty obvious I wonder if the court was sleeping or they didn’t see any reason to act. That was clearly wrong.

That said Buhari shud not take matters into his hands bt go through the courts where necessary

2 Likes

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 31, 2018
Kewtt:
Only the courts can determine what national interest that supercedes individual rights are... simple. Not Buhari!!

1 Like

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Kewtt: 9:05am On Aug 31, 2018
Z4Gardell:

Don't ever quote me in your life!! In your entire life!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Elliot2(m): 9:09am On Aug 31, 2018
Minjim:

In the case of Osama bin laden's death, the United States acted as policeman, judge and executioner.

President Obama ordered the killing without any court judgement or order.
How about that?
olodo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 31, 2018
Kewtt:

Don't ever quote me in your life!! In your entire life!!

You must learn by forces, it is people like you that is hating this nation to a halt... I really wonder why uninformed brains like you are allowed to comment on social media... I believe social media should be a place for fools to learn not to stay. PLEASE BE INFORMED!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Kewtt: 9:13am On Aug 31, 2018
Z4Gardell:

You must learn by forces, it is people like you that is hating this nation to a halt... I really wonder why uninformed brains like you are allowed to comment on social media... I believe social media should be a place for fools to learn not to stay. PLEASE BE INFORMED!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by slivertongue: 9:13am On Aug 31, 2018
[quote author=Z4Gardell post=70771284][/quote]
nations &laws aint abstracts bt protects positive individual interest
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by gudugudumeje: 9:16am On Aug 31, 2018
The court be left to determine, define ad procedurise what is threat to national interest; not oligarchies ad powers lk Buhari. Buhari as a dictator is on the way to descend on all. Watch out.Ds warning signal ad people shd be prepared to stop him ad co-travellers lk Saraki ad others disguising as lovers of d people...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by gidgiddy: 9:20am On Aug 31, 2018
The president should never be the one decides what is a threat to national security or what is in the national interest. The constitution and the judiciary as well as the national assembly can deal with that. The President of Nigeria already has too much powers as it is, to give him the power to decide what is a threat to national security is to make him a ful blown dictator.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by PFRB: 9:21am On Aug 31, 2018
Where did the court say that national interest overrides individual rights?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by JacksonOyibo: 9:22am On Aug 31, 2018
smiley
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Shirer(m): 9:22am On Aug 31, 2018
National interests Vs Individual Rights is different argument. The Rule of Law trumps all. Every entity named in law must prostrate before the Law.
The alternative is unimaginable - anarchy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by CodeTemplar: 9:28am On Aug 31, 2018
GoTV:
Good. God bless buhari for this . If Buhari had followed rule of law vagabonds like Nnamdi Kanu who is hell bent on destabilising our lovely and prosperous country will still be roaming because of rule of law. People like Dasuki and Elzakyzaky will also keep perpetuating criminality under rule of law. Dictatorship is the best form of government.
HERDMEN who treat crop as weed.

1 Like

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by ebenholer(m): 9:30am On Aug 31, 2018
No, this is clearer and straight forward unlike what we hear from PMB. Individual is different from individuals. So an individual (one person) cannot hold individuals (nation) into ransom for his selfish gain. "National interest supersedes individual right". Buhari just did that by refusing assent to the bill that will favour the nation but unfavour his autocratic rule. I think this is clearer to understand.

2 Likes

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Teacher1776(m): 9:34am On Aug 31, 2018
GoTV:
Good. God bless buhari for this . If Buhari had followed rule of law vagabonds like Nnamdi Kanu who is hell bent on destabilising our lovely and prosperous country will still be roaming because of rule of law. People like Dasuki and Elzakyzaky will also keep perpetuating criminality under rule of law. Dictatorship is the best form of government.

Read well before you rush to comment. It says that the decision to grant bail or not is at the discretion of the presiding judges. It didn't say the chief executive should interfere.
What you are currently suffering from is the result of dictatorship since it results in chronic ignorance and erosion of all rational thoughts. Has the clampdown on Kanu, Elzakzacky and Dansuki translated into quality living for nigerians? While the government is focusing on silencing this voices of opposition, it lost focus on the people it is supposed to protect and provide for. The latest UN report revealed that Nigeria with a population of less than 200 million has overtaken India with a population of over 1 billion, in terms of people living in abject poverty. That is the real issue you should focus on.
The real threat to a nation is poverty. As long as there is increasing poverty, people will do whatever it takes to survive, including violent acts, and that is the major threat. And that includes you too. Cos all these ranting and raging on the social media is chiefly for the sake of your stomach.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by CodeTemplar: 9:40am On Aug 31, 2018
blackpanda:
Op God bless you

I wish people can use their brain rather than emotions

Individual rights must always surrender to national security because one person cannot be greater than the whole country. Moreso If the country erupts in turmoil both your rights and the entire constitution will be burnt to ashes!
Who is the person interpreting the national interest. This is a vague term that can be interpreted to devastating effect against perceived enemies of the interpreter or group of interpreters' interest. God help us. The situation/conditions that constitute a national interest can then be manipulated through secret service chiefs like Duara to target perceived enemies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Meritocracy: 9:40am On Aug 31, 2018
Over to you Prof. S.
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by itu404(m): 9:41am On Aug 31, 2018
GoTV:
bros e never finish Russia, for don kpafuka if not for Putin dictatorial tendencies!

1 Like

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by VULCAN(m): 9:44am On Aug 31, 2018
Mr BMC who being a Muslim claims Christian. You have come again

One man does not determine "National Interest" in ANY developed democracy in the world. I know you have not travelled abroad but try and read about advanced countries.

Their government has to PROVE to the courts (who you and your God Buhari hate so much) that National Interest precedes a particular individuals rights and that is only Temporarily. Such cannot be done when the only reason you are holding the person is because he is an opposition member who you are attempting to rope with fabricated charges. Such is personal interest of the President and is separate from "National Interest"

No developed country in this world locks its citizens up for years with no charge like DSS does here. Perhaps one day it will be you or a family member who will be on the other end of this your stick and you will remember your evil support of such nonsense all because of some crumbs that you will have finished spending.

GoTV:

1 Like

Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 31, 2018
slivertongue:

nations &laws aint abstracts bt protects positive individual interest

Now we are learning ( Just as you said "Positive' that was the word you omitted in your first comment) but Please study the powers of a President of a country in a democratic dispensation . we all should be careful because people grow in knowledge with our comments... thank you!!!
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 31, 2018
Kewtt:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin what's wrong with my life? Laugh want kill me... seeing the cartoon you are using for me
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by bluecircle470: 9:54am On Aug 31, 2018
I can bet it that all who have commented didn’t read the full judgment grin grin
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by PFRB: 10:07am On Aug 31, 2018
bluecircle470:
I can bet it that all who have commented didn’t read the full judgment grin grin

A close scrutiny of the charges and documentary evidence available reveals offences that are a real threat to National Security. They involve creating a situation where the government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria could yield to force or expose the public to serious danger. Indeed paragraph 1.0 of the counter-affidavit supports that fact. It states that it would be prejudicial to National Security to grant Bail. I agree. This deposition easily covers all the counts against the appellant.”

This is just an opinion of one of the judges,
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by slivertongue: 10:09am On Aug 31, 2018
those quoting me sud stop oversimplifyin COLLECTION OF INDIVIDUAL INTEREST 2include crime.
Re: National Interest Supercedes Individual Rights – Supreme Court by Minjim: 10:11am On Aug 31, 2018
goodforme:
I don't understand all these arguments, Mr president was talking to a group of lawyers and told them they should put national interest above individual right in their line of duties, he never said he will be the one to judge. Can somebody explain to me?
Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: Buhari Says He Will Stop Desperate Politicians / PDP To Recall Yakubu Dogara From House Of Reps / Electricity Grid Collapses Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.