Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,082 members, 7,811,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation (5105 Views)

Christmas: Ebonyi Indigenes Lambast Umahi For Donating 300 Bags Of Rice To Abuja / Matawalle Commends Umahi For Joining APC, Attacks South-South Governors / Miyetti Allah Endorses Dave Umahi For 2023 Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by chidima2019: 6:40am On Sep 07, 2018
A good governance advocacy group in Ebonyi State, Movement for Greater Ebonyi, has condemned what it called draconian taxes and levies introduced by the Governor Dave Umahi government.

The group said the governor’s recent announcement that illegal tax collection in the state had been suspended was deceitful.

It accused Umahi of trying to hoodwink the people with a dishonest declaration concerning the controversial tax regime to secure re-election in next year’s general election.

Movement for Greater Ebonyi slammed the governor for turning a blind eye to economic dislocations brought about by his administration’s several taxes and levies.

“This is absolutely ludicrous,” leader of the group, Silas Nworie, said. “Many well-meaning Ebonyi people had begged him to stop his penchant for using unruly thugs to extort scarce money from innocent Ebonyi residents in the guise of taxes and levies, but all pleas fell on deaf ears.”

Nworie said Ebonyi people were not deceived by the governor’s antics.

A resident of Abakaliki, the state capital, who had been a victim of the alleged tax harassments, but preferred anonymity, said regarding the controversial tax system introduced by Umahi, “what he should do now is to urgently arrest and prosecute those criminals that squeezed money out of people.

“But we know he cannot do it because those people are his men; they were acting on his instructions. Ebonyi people know this. They are not deceived.”

The contentious taxes and levies were said to be part of the reasons a senator from the state and member of the governor’s Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Sonni Ogbuoji, moved to the All Progressives Congress (APC).

A youth leader in the state’s chapter of APC, Benjamin Ogbonna, said the governor had created hardship in Ebonyi State. “People are forced to buy ‘environmental basket’ for N8,000, whether they already have or not.

“Monthly refuse collection fee is N400 per shop, but collection and disposal never happens,” Ogbonna alleged, adding, “These and other numerous oppressive acts of the governor are the reasons for the public outcry that forced the governor to indulge in his recent unsuccessful sham move.”

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/09/residents-slam-governor-umahi-for.html

1 Like

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Imperare(f): 6:45am On Sep 07, 2018
FTC ?? Ewele!!
e still dey do me like dream

2 Likes

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Nobody: 6:45am On Sep 07, 2018
Ops
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by driand(m): 6:46am On Sep 07, 2018
angry angry angry

Why do people get elected and then turn against those who vote for them? Why? cry

When are we going to stand up and reject bad governance and politians totally?

3 Likes

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Tochytee(m): 6:46am On Sep 07, 2018
I think governance should be people friendly if the people are paying for refuse disposal then the government should be sure these thing are done properly.
we all know how these governors in various states award tax contracts to government agents who send there goons after the poor masses in the quest to collect tax from the people this is very sad and we all should condemn it totally.

5 Likes

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by geadom: 6:47am On Sep 07, 2018
Wonders shall never end
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Makawhizzy: 6:49am On Sep 07, 2018
Only in Nigeria, a governor get paid, award fictional contracts, spend your taxes anyhow and will still get voted back into power.

2 Likes

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Angelb4: 6:49am On Sep 07, 2018
Sorry to deviate, Atiku will be the best candidate for the APC to flog very well in 2019. How can you have a candidate and (God forbid), a president that can't even travel? I hear he cannot travel to the US at all, that they will arrest him. He's the hero of some miscreants in Nigeria.
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by aolawale025: 6:50am On Sep 07, 2018
Nigerians don't like paying tax. Perhaps because they don't see the results

2 Likes

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by basindir: 6:53am On Sep 07, 2018
aolawale025:

absolutely right
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Metuh: 6:54am On Sep 07, 2018
Angelb4:
Sorry to deviate, Atiku will be the best candidate for the APC to flog very well in 2019. How can you have a candidate and (God forbid), a president that can't even travel? I hear he cannot travel to the US at all, that they will arrest him. He's the hero of some miscreants in Nigeria.
You HEARD he can't travel to US?

You need to start your brain asap.

1 Like

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Edey(m): 7:00am On Sep 07, 2018
OK oo
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by paulegend(m): 7:01am On Sep 07, 2018
Makawhizzy:
Only in Nigeria, a governor get paid, award fictional contracts, spend your taxes anyhow and will still get voted back into power.
. It will not happen again in Ebonyi state
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by paulegend(m): 7:04am On Sep 07, 2018
In Ebonyi state, petty traders are taxed. Pure water hawkers are taxed. Very small scale businesses are closed down because of tax. Lately, most shops open only on Sunday when the tax force don't work. But then, We have our PVC, I can't just rant alone without my PVC.

1 Like

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by McCoy662(m): 7:15am On Sep 07, 2018
Umahi shall never return. I have my PVC ready.
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Suko110(m): 7:17am On Sep 07, 2018
aolawale025:
Thats not the case in ebonyi, as the write-up say the taxes are outrageous, i currently reside there i know what people are going through. To put it in plain terms, its inhuman taxation. The problem we have in nigeria is that we make laws that is not compactable and people will not be willing to abide by.
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by FBIL: 7:18am On Sep 07, 2018
The tax levied on the state residents has been huge, disproportionate and wicked. Before he was advised to temporarily halt the taxation, many small scale businesses had left the state. You can imagine where indomie noodles fast food sellers, roasted yam/plantain sellers, women selling fairly-used clothes and other peasant and struggling businesses were levied between NGN14,800 - NGN120,000 per year, and you have to pay in arrears of 3 years. Dave Umahi has so many negative sides, especially his quick temper, selfishness and above all, his lust and love for money. It's terrible! He has done well in the area of infrastructure alone, that is roads/flyover bridges. I don't know where else he has done well. He sold the state vehicle inspection office (VIO) to his illiterate uncle and they have bn chasing motorists around in the state, to the extend of pulling a truck down which killed a passerby. Umuoghara Quarry site stopped functioning after his nephew who has no crusher took over the entire Quarry site as overseer. The stop directive announced on taxation Is just to enable him secure another term after which, Ebonyians will see hell. What could one say of a man who built over 20 duplexes in his father's compound, annexing nearby homes, few months in office? A compound that had only two (2) mud houses plastered with cement.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Okey2010: 7:22am On Sep 07, 2018
Criminal in power in Ebonyi

1 Like

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by stano2(m): 7:26am On Sep 07, 2018
Nawa for Nigeria governors, i wait months before i praise any of them for whatever good work they did because i know they will soon do worst sooner.

Criminals
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by vioment: 7:27am On Sep 07, 2018
Anytime nigeria wants to do something progressive or democratic e dey get k leg and some kind of sabotage.

Many countries apply these laws in a humane and considerate way, so there are examples that we can copy and even modify but we like to play mini god with every chance we get.

The point is make everyone pay tax, credible tax, not everyday new person or organization comes to collect tax. I am speaking of a credible organized tax system where the money can be traced and documented. Every one can't pay a tax now, a lot can't, why don't we get smart and do property tax, come up with a way to tax without taxing out investors or those that can't just pay because of joblessness. And also lets not over tax the few that can be tracked to pay like civil servants.

It is our homework, we need innovative tax systems.

1 Like

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by DEHVEHLOP(m): 7:29am On Sep 07, 2018
Not surprised!

Igbo governor amaka....

Crimes are in the brood
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Neoteny(m): 7:34am On Sep 07, 2018
Favorite words of nigerian bloggers and reporters:

Slam
Kick
Knock

"So-and-so slams so-and-so"

"So-and-so kicks against this-and-that"

"So-and-so knocks so-and-so"

Such violence!

2 Likes

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Chrismentor3: 7:38am On Sep 07, 2018
The case of taxation is just too outrageous in ebonyi state, the masses are suffering and the selfish governor and his illiterate followers are busy snapping flyovers and disco light.

Umahi is the most wicked governor in Nigeria, forget what you see on TV, ask a relative that stays there, many are just scared if him because if you talk, you would disappear.

A friend of mine that just opened a small bet9ja there is forced to close it down due to heavy taxation, in a day you would see at least 3-8 different taxation unit bearing different names and you must settle them if you have not paid.

Umahi has turned ebonyi state to his family business, if you are not bearing his family name or from his village, nothing for you.

I'm not bothered because I know people are just waiting for a more credible candidate from any party at all to deliver us from this terrorist.

1 Like

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Edey(m): 7:38am On Sep 07, 2018
It is only Ebonyians that will tell you the meaning of Uburu or Okposhi.

2 Likes

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by paulegend(m): 7:40am On Sep 07, 2018
Chrismentor3:
The case of taxation is just too outrageous in ebonyi state, the masses are suffering and the selfish governor and his illiterate followers are busy snapping flyovers and disco light.

Umahi is the most wicked governor in Nigeria, forget what you see on TV, ask a relative that stays there, many are just scared if him because if you talk, you would disappear.

A friend of mine that just opened a small bet9ja there is forced to close it down due to heavy taxation, in a day you would see at least 3-8 different taxation unit bearing different names and you must settle them if you have not paid.

Umahi has turned ebonyi state to his family business, if you are not bearing his family name or from his village, nothing for you.

I'm not bothered because I know people are just waiting for a more credible candidate from any party at all to deliver us from this terrorist.
God bless u. I laugh when I see all media propaganda exalting that governor. No body builds a new house here unless you are of his dynasty.

1 Like

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Yorubaskullmine: 7:44am On Sep 07, 2018
The problem we face in this country is multiple taxation. There needs to be harmonisation at all levels of government.

1 Like

Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by ajahinnousa(m): 7:44am On Sep 07, 2018
Edey:
It is only Ebonyians that will tell you the meaning of Uburu or Okposhi.
guess you are from ebonyi,please can you tell us the meaning ?
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by DrHighchief(m): 7:49am On Sep 07, 2018
Imperare:
FTC ?? Ewele!!
e still dey do me like dream
Has it any value to u? What's so special about FTC?
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 07, 2018
its everywhere, our taxes work against us, mention one service provided to the public thru taxes in Nigeria, taxes only enrich politicians and the filthy rich.

we have to pay more tax because of govt inability to collect taxes from the filthy rich.
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by lagdmark(m): 7:54am On Sep 07, 2018
Makawhizzy:
This is because the citizens encouraged the corrupt politicians to keep looting without fear.
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 07, 2018
McCoy662:
Umahi shall never return. I have my PVC ready.

hate to burst your bubble, but your poor mans voter card didnt put him there and it wont remove him.
Re: Residents Slam Governor Umahi For Unfair Taxation by mrdna(m): 8:00am On Sep 07, 2018
It is only Ebonyians that will tell you the meaning of Uburu or Okposhi.[/quote]

Laughs

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ekiti Assembly Passes Board Of Internal Revenue Bill / We Did Not Bomb Abuja -- M E N D. / Edo Deputy Governor's Wife To Pay 12 Million For Army Officer's Beating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.