Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,598 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia (48756 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by whitechriz(m): 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2010
HELLO,

How about schooling there in Canada how is it possible am seeking undergradute admission there in canada , can any one help ?

REEGARDS
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by justhustle: 7:22pm On Jul 05, 2010
@medlabgirl

thanks for your post which is very very insightful and quite enlightening.

i would like you to comment on this but if too somehow to say in public just let me know then email me your response please < princewill199@yahoo.com>
(remember in one of ur old post u say make we mind wetin we dey post here cos no be only we de read am so make we no spoil road for others wey go follow)

am planning on coming with a visitors visa and on arrival change to a student status,as i would like to go for my masters degree in canada but dont seem to have the right funding,u know how it is with canadian embassy and bank statement.
how possible is this?

2) during the period of trying to convert from visitor to legal resident(student) or other category as the case may be,is it possible to get jobs to earn a bit(even menial jobs or underground jobs,or any job that pays without the legal right to work),cos my plan is to come in,try to change status and earn a little bit during this period to pay my way through my masters studies.

i would appreciate your honest comment.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by tunnytox(m): 7:49pm On Jul 05, 2010
'
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by tunnytox(m): 7:54pm On Jul 05, 2010
'
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by LBT: 9:34pm On Jul 05, 2010
What about Russia or Poland.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by member65: 2:36pm On Jul 06, 2010
@Medlabgirl, Thanks for sharing and helping others out. On the other hand, why are some folks bent on picking a fight on everything? This is pathetic.!!!
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by addyflora: 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2010
smiley wink
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 3:32pm On Jul 06, 2010
______,
don't mind them jare. The guy that came for two days and has become an authority on the whole of Canada and passed judgment on an entire Nation based on a visit to Toronto is something else.

@justhustle I hope my reply was helpful.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by canuck(m): 3:33pm On Jul 06, 2010
@Medlabgirl

You are doing a fantastic job with this thread!

Please ignore these bad-belle people questioning your motives. . .Naija people sabi bad-mouth! Kai!

You are really investing a lot of time sharing your knowledge, which many people will undoubtedly find useful.

You're doing a good job for BC too  cheesy

Anyway, when your cheque from BC Tourism clears, please send me my share o  grin
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by canuck(m): 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2010
@ Okija_juju

Welcome to Canada!

O'lboy, coming to a new country (as a resident, not visitor) requires you to learn their ways at an accelerated rate - Medlabgirl, as a true Canadian, tactfully corrected your spelling of Calgary a couple of times, but you still dey spell am as Calgari! Haba! Dem go fight you o  cheesy

Please pick up nuances and little things that tend to trip up Nigerians - Your certificate(s) may contribute 10% to your assimilation; it's what you learn here on how Canadians relate that matter.

Canadians may not storm the church on Sunday, but >80% believe in God. So, you may do well to keep your Atheistic beliefs to yourself - They won't ask you directly about religion, but don't throw it in their face either.

All the best!
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by canuck(m): 3:57pm On Jul 06, 2010
whitechriz:

HELLO,

How about schooling there in Canada how is it possible am seeking undergradute admission there in canada , can any one help ?

REEGARDS

First off, beware of miscreants posing as 'Canadian schools agents' in Nigeria. They are a complete waste of resources.

All you need to know about Canadian schools is available here:

http://www.aucc.ca/can_uni/our_universities/index_e.html

Once you have passed high school in Nigeria, you can apply to a good number of these schools directly and online; no intermediary required (except for one or two schools that specifically list reps).

It is easier than they make it out to be!

All the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 4:48pm On Jul 06, 2010
Canuck, I am laughing my head off. Seriously I am in the kitchen by myself, and just pealing with laughter.

Ok look out for the mailman for your share of the BC Tourism money grin

I am coming to recognise your signature bold blue posts. First thanks for the pointers for the guy asking about the schools. I felt there were other informative posts he could refer to, (too lazy to respond: damn it caught out!)

The pointers to Okija were spot on too, even though it was funny as hell.
"Please pick up nuances and little things that tend to trip up Nigerians - Your certificate(s) may contribute 10% to your assimilation; it's what you learn here on how Canadians relate that matter.", Now this is serious true talk. Canuck go to the top of the class

Hey Okija how's the going??

I have always found people using agents for schools, with the exception you pointed out, a bit baffling It is indeed a waste of resources.

On the subject of agents, I remember all those years ago when I went for my interview for my Residency Application, I indicated on my forms that our family friend an engineer had assisted with the filling of the forms, (he later became a succesful immigration agent) I don't know if anyone else interviewed with the dreaded Mme. Pou---t, but she asked me why "a smart girl like you cannot fill out a few simple forms?" (I was a naive 21 yr old girl then, I shouldn't even have mentioned the help I got) Now I see people paying $10,000 dollars to agents who basically DO NOTHING BUT FILL OUT YOUR FORMS!!!

I think that when I come to Nigeria before the end of the year, I will fill out some forms, and maybe provide a Canadian address, buy the drafts etc, and then charge $2000 for my efforts cool cool cool

Anyway thanks Canuck, nothing like a smile to start out the day.

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Rare(m): 5:03pm On Jul 06, 2010
@Medlabgirl;
As some folks have pointed out, career choices might not make BC first choice for some folks.

Am in Naija, but popular consensus is that oil & gas engineering professionals are better opportuned in Alberta and Saskatchewan. That might be one reason they wouldn't opt for BC.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by canuck(m): 5:20pm On Jul 06, 2010
Rare:

@Medlabgirl;
As some folks have pointed out, career choices might not make BC first choice for some folks.

Am in Naija, but popular consensus is that oil & gas engineering professionals are better opportuned in Alberta and Saskatchewan. That might be one reason they wouldn't opt for BC.

That's right, but this thread is about BC, and the little known positives of living there.

Why not start a thread on Alberta and/or Saska-wetin? wink
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by canuck(m): 5:22pm On Jul 06, 2010
Medlabgirl:

Canuck, I am laughing my head off. Seriously I am in the kitchen by myself, and just pealing with laughter.

Ok look out for the mailman for your share of the BC Tourism money grin

The comic relief is on the house, F.O.C - But my eye dey that BC Tourism money o!!! grin

Have fun!
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 5:26pm On Jul 06, 2010
Rare? Is that how you like your steak??  wink I have to have mine well done, naijagal thru and thru

It's not just consensus, but actual proven fact. You are right, and yes I agree that you'd better go where your career directs you.

I am just talking in general terms, and saying that BC is a good choice if you are not constrained by things like your job or an obligation to a province per nominations or etc
Saskatchewan is nice, but miles of wheat fields, while they do feed us, just isn't my thing, with all due respect to the hardworking farmers.

I am saying, that BC is really a great place to be. Ask all the people that just came for the Winter Olympics.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 5:30pm On Jul 06, 2010
canuck:

The comic relief is on the house, F.O.C - But my eye dey that BC Tourism money o!!! grin

Have fun!

I'll do my best. grin grin

"In God we trust, others pay cash"? grin grin grin grin

I'd better get a move on, else I'm getting nothing done today.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by dustydee: 5:39pm On Jul 06, 2010
I really want to go to Canada but visa nko? sad no embassy in nigeria sef.please how do i start? I am an engineer. wont even mind doing a masters degree there.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by canuck(m): 6:44pm On Jul 06, 2010
dustydee:

I really want to go to Canada but visa nko? sad no embassy in nigeria sef.please how do i start? I am an engineer. wont even mind doing a masters degree there.

Shuo! Who tell you say embassy nor dey?!  angry

Canada has a Deputy High Commission in Naija - Offices in Lagos (Anifowoshe, V/I) and Abuja. See link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/lagos.asp

Visiting and student visas can be obtained in Nigeria. It is the permanent residency application that's submitted through the Accra office of the Canadian High Commission. See link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/accra.asp

I know folks who came in Masters, regularized their stay, and went on to become Canadian citizens.

If that's what you want to do, don't let me delay you with a long post  cheesy

Check out http://www.aucc.ca/can_uni/our_universities/index_e.html
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Nkiruuu: 9:20pm On Jul 06, 2010
Hey Medlab, good Job. A beg i get one ? wey i hope say u fit help answer. one of my brodas dey yankee but he wan cross come urside on the low? abeg how easy e go be? na tourist V. he get 4 yank. Thanks
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Delta007(m): 9:31pm On Jul 06, 2010
Unless you have guaranteed income (a good job, business, etc), do not move to BC. There's more to living than weather and scenery. Cost of living is relatively high in BC.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by chika98: 9:33pm On Jul 06, 2010
Nkiruuu:

Hey Medlab, good Job. A beg i get one ? wey i hope say u fit help answer. one of my brodas dey yankee but he wan cross come urside on the low? abeg how easy e go be? na tourist V. he get 4 yank. Thanks

Last time I checked she doesn't work in Immigration. Tell your brother to contact the Canadian embassy to inquire further about moving to Canada.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Medlabgirl: 12:19am On Jul 07, 2010
@Delta, and on what have you based your comment? No bring your Delta James Bond come here oh! There are jobs in BC. Please do not misinform people. Tell me how many people you know who are in BC and not working?? Let me tell you even a few of the yahoo yahoo boys whose income streams seem to have dried up are all working. My eyebrows hit the ceiling a couple of days ago when I saw one of them at an assisted living facility. His pay? $22/hr, not much for a previous yahoo person, but he is paying his mortgage thank you.

My cousin's tenant is from Fiji. He works and has been working now for over two years at a construction company owned by an Indian man. Guess what? He has no papers!!! he gets paid in C A S H! so abegi make I hear something.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by newmusic: 6:23am On Jul 07, 2010
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by dustydee: 8:40am On Jul 07, 2010
canuck:

Shuo! Who tell you say embassy nor dey?! angry

Canada has a Deputy High Commission in Naija - Offices in Lagos (Anifowoshe, V/I) and [b]Abuja
. See link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/lagos.asp

Visiting and student visas can be obtained in Nigeria. It is the permanent residency application that's submitted through the Accra office of the Canadian High Commission. See link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/accra.asp

I know folks who came in Masters, regularized their stay, and went on to become Canadian citizens.

If that's what you want to do, don't let me delay you with a long post cheesy

Check out http://www.aucc.ca/can_uni/our_universities/index_e.html[/b]

I didnt see the Abuja address,do they really have one in Abuja.I am based in Abuja.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Delta007(m): 11:57am On Jul 07, 2010
Medlabgirl:

@Delta, and on what have you based your comment? No bring your Delta James Bond come here oh! There are jobs in BC. Please do not misinform people. Tell me how many people you know who are in BC and not working?? Let me tell you even a few of the yahoo yahoo boys whose income streams seem to have dried up are all working. My eyebrows hit the ceiling a couple of days ago when I saw one of them at an assisted living facility. His pay? $22/hr, not much for a previous yahoo person, but he is paying his mortgage thank you.

My cousin's tenant is from Fiji. He works and has been working now for over two years at a construction company owned by an Indian man. Guess what? He has no papers!!! he gets paid in C A S H! so abegi make I hear something.
I never said there were no jobs in BC, I said, "Unless you have guaranteed income (a good job, business, etc), do not move to BC. There's more to living than weather and scenery. Cost of living is relatively high in BC". Simple!
Is the cost of living relatively high in BC compared to other provinces? Yes. Are there jobs in BC? Yes, but you can get the same $22/hr jobs you are bragging about in other provinces and you spend less on your upkeep. Moreso, the job market is pretty tight, even in BC.
Again, for anyone reading this thread, if you re lookng to immigrate to Canada, look for where suits your lifestyle, jobs, etc.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by debosky(m): 12:09pm On Jul 07, 2010
I agree with Delta to an extent - cost of living IS high in BC, higher compared to many places in Eastern Canada. Having lived in Vancouver (for 2 years) and on the Eastern side of Canada, I can comment from experience. Housing costs are significantly higher than many regions of Canada.

As always, nursing and caring will always give reasonable opportunities if you can study and pay the fees, but outside of those areas, you might struggle.

There's always been a sizeable IT industry in Vancouver, with Microsoft, EA Sports and many software firms with prominent facilities in BC. There are also a number of prominent Nigerians doing great with businesses in BC as well.

However, it seems to be more difficult to get jobs in other fields of endeavour outside of nursing type jobs and maybe - most Nigerians who go to school in BC end up leaving for Alberta, Ontario or other regions of Canada.

Weather wise, it is just fantastic - if you want coastal sports, you can get it, if you want wine valleys and scorching summers, just go inland to the Okanagan valley and you'll get it. The sheer variety across BC is stunning and it's a great place to be. However, it will be tougher to start off here compared to Toronto if you have no job offers etc.

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by addyflora: 12:11pm On Jul 07, 2010
@ delta, what is life like in Quebec and what are the opportunities there as an international student?
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by rubenic(m): 12:29pm On Jul 07, 2010
hello house, this is a great thread smiley. I'm about to apply for Canadian visa under the federal skill program. I'm a biological scientist precisely a Microbiologist. i really need info about Canada:housing,job opportunity for a biological scientist etc
Note:biological sciences has just (25 June,2010) been included in the recent 29 federal work list

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Efam: Soldier Burnt To Death In An Accident Inside Military Cantonment / Benin Republic Deports Many Nigerians (Video, Photos) / Day And Night Pictures Of Abuja Satellite area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.