Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia (48838 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by snowlordng(m): 3:53pm On Jan 26, 2019
Medlabgirl:
Ola abeg read the post now, before you accuse me of misleading anyone. Nobody paid me anything, so haba? I provided a link with a lot of info that would have answered some of your questions. Anyway, in response to a few of them:

Regarding papers, I will take them from different angles, but long and short is, once your leg don enter here, unless you commit a crime, you are almost guaranteed to stay.

If you come as a student, under the new immigration initiative, after school you can apply to stay See this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp. You will get your residency, and soon after you will start to travel BLUE, as travelling GREEN as we all know can be hazardous to your health.

If you come as a worker, same applies as above.

If you are coming in with your resident permit, then you are golden, and we just talk about work and settling (below)

If you come as a visitor, first you fit begin extend, after two extensions, if you see person wey go give you work and sponsor you, you can change to work permit, or you fit marry their pickin, or if you plan to chop aduro, then that`s also a possibility.

If you just waka come, oh well then you have no option but aduro, and you will have to have your story and all documents prepared and very strong before you go raise hand. You cannot change your story halfway through. Like I said earlier, almost everyone dey get am.

School wise, there are many schools, with fees comparable to most places in Canada. Schools for children boku in every city. For e.g, my kids are in French Immersion, which means that they are instructed solely in French, and learn English in the community, thus affording them the opportunity of having two primary languages.

There are jobs here, especially if you are a professsional, although like in so many other places, you may need to upgrade, or to start at a lower level to get `Canadian Experience` Nurses have no problems the world over, here is no exception.
For those with only secondary education, or non professionals, or just for starters while you explore other options, there are many avenues to take: for e.g a laboratory assistant course is 6months and about $9000 The starting pay is $17per hr. Many newcomers, because they are in a hurry take the care aide route. That is about 12000 for a 6mth course, pay starts at $18per hr. If you choose the Licensed Practical Nurse LPN option its $12-14000 in public schols, and twice that in private schools for a 1 year course, and the pay is from $28 per hr. You will get a job straight from school. Bus drivers start from $26 per hr, mechanics and plumbers are in high demand, and God knows that if you are in home construction, like a carpenter or a stucco worker ,a painter or things like that, you better start coming today, because BC belongs to you.
For students wanting a parttime job for e.g, or just as a basic basic starting point, you can be a security guard. You WILL get a job for sure, you will likely receive on the job training, if not, the course is two weeks long, and you will likely start at $10-12 per hr.

People with their own businesses do very well because the tax system favors you better than the paid worker as you are allowed to claim this and that.

Healthcare is awesome. Everyone pays basic health insurance monthly, or your job might pay it, or if you are low income, the government will pay it, or subsidize it. You can then go to the doctors and hospitals for nothing and majority of procedures are covered. My friends mom has had two knee replacement surgeries since she got her papers 2 yrs ago. She came as a visitor by the way.

Bobs I know nothing about women, since I am a woman myself, but from what I can see, the boys are not doing badly; even the married badboys (ugh!) There are also many good women here who are looking for good men (excludes self cool)

Further questions ??

pls their can I have your contact I have alot to discuss with you
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by einsteino(m): 8:32pm On Feb 03, 2019
iaatmguy:
dont know if this is still apllicable

einsteino do you fancy moving to other provinces. Guess it would be easier to get your certification.

Thanks for the mention boss. I don't fawn over Toronto like most do. If I had an offer in Yukon when I landed, that's where I would have been, so I am very much open minded. The thing is I was oblivious that New Brunswick offers P.Eng license without exams or canadian experience as prerequisite. I heard same about APEGA, applied and was directed to sit for FE exams, so I am shaky right now about the NB claim. I don't know much about the province, as the engineers I personally know in NB are not civil engineers. So I can not move to NB without a job in hand, except I have data that shows they have jobs in my particular area.

My being in Toronto is strategic not emotional though, I came here against where I craved to be for specific reasons and it has begun paying off.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by einsteino(m): 9:29pm On Feb 03, 2019
Delta007:

Same thing with Engineering. NB just started a program that will accept foreign experience and grant you a P.Eng  ceritificate without writing exams all over again within a few mths

are you sure of this? I heard same about Alberta's APEGA, I applied and ended up with FE Exams. What's the name of this program you speak of? a link would be appreciated. I guess as with other province's license application, I wouldnt need to move to the province to apply?
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by iaatmguy(m): 9:31pm On Feb 03, 2019
einsteino:

Thanks for the mention boss. I don't fawn over Toronto like most do. If I had an offer in Yukon when I landed, that's where I would have been, so I am very much open minded. The thing is I was oblivious that New Brunswick offers P.Eng license without exams or canadian experience as prerequisite. I heard same about APEGA, applied and was directed to sit for FE exams, so I am shaky right now about the NB claim. I don't know much about the province, as the engineers I personally know in NB are not civil engineers. So I can not move to NB without a job in hand, except I have data that shows they have jobs in my particular area.

My being in Toronto is strategic not emotional though, I came here against where I craved to be for specific reasons.
ok, all the best in whatever decision you make, but i wasn't happy when you talked about the factory job. but i think you should get another less stressful job,let's say a security guard. but please make more enquiries about the atlantic coast. ALL THE BEST
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by iaatmguy(m): 9:34pm On Feb 03, 2019
einsteino:

are you sure of this? I heard same about Alberta's APEGA, I applied and ended up with FE Exams. What's the name of this program you speak of? a link would be appreciated. I guess as with other province's license application, I wouldnt need to move to the province to apply?
the comment was posted in 2010, don't think it's still applicable. hence my caveat in the earlier post
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by einsteino(m): 9:42pm On Feb 03, 2019
iaatmguy:
ok, all the best in whatever decision you make, but i wasn't happy when you talked about the factory job. but i think you should get another less stressful job,let's say a security guard. but please make more enquiries about the atlantic coast. ALL THE BEST

Thanks I got an offer to start as an engineering intern by month end, so soon I would quit factory hustle.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by iaatmguy(m): 9:48pm On Feb 03, 2019
einsteino:

Thanks I got an offer to start as an engineering intern by month end, so soon I would quit factory hustle.
that's very good, Thanks to God

in toronto ?
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by einsteino(m): 11:47pm On Feb 03, 2019
iaatmguy:
that's very good, Thanks to God

in toronto ?
Yes boss

1 Like

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Delta007(m): 2:06am On Mar 12, 2019
einsteino:

You quoted a post from 2010. Most self-regulatory bodies have now tightened up due to the influx of foreign trained professionals.

4 Likes

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by ashioba: 5:17am On Jun 17, 2019
Greetings great Nairalanders, kindly advise me. I am a lawyer in Nigeria, planning to move to BC through Visitors Visa, though I do not intend to come back to Naija. Please what are my chances of diverting into any other occupation that can lead to PR shortly.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by pejuhazel(f): 8:06am On Jun 17, 2019
ashioba:
Greetings great Nairalanders, kindly advise me. I am a lawyer in Nigeria, planning to move to BC through Visitors Visa, though I do not intend to come back to Naija. Please what are my chances of diverting into any other occupation that can lead to PR shortly.
None, if your intention is to get a job and become a PR, then apply for a permanent resident visa.

2 Likes

Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by tessytessy(f): 1:40pm On Jun 17, 2019
Haba Lawyer,

While would you come to an open forum and say this. Dont forget that America Embassy now requires social media handle. Guess what they will even get the ones you dont reveal. Be careful what you type.
ashioba:
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Santy04: 10:42pm On Aug 24, 2022
Hello everyone
I will be coming to British Columbia Canada by December 2022 as a new student at Vancouver community college for a two years post graduate diploma program.
I will gladly appreciate guidance and mentorship to alleviate my settlement to Canada.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Santy04: 10:44pm On Aug 24, 2022
@ medlabgirl and others '
I look forward to hear from you guys please.
Thanks..
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Santy04: 11:14pm On Aug 24, 2022
Kindly note' this is my email address.
mabiniibraheem@gmail.com.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by ijeezlux(m): 11:17am On Jan 07
Santy04:
Kindly note' this is my email address.
mabiniibraheem@gmail.com.

Please kindly check Ur mail
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by Mcslize: 12:48pm On Jan 07
Medlabgirl, wow! Looking at the time you made this post, it's been a whooping 14 good years since you left for Canada.

How time flies so quick. What has the experience been like so far for these 14 years since you left Nigeria? Share with us.
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by peleson1: 2:18pm On Jan 07
Medlabgirl:
Ola abeg read the post now, before you accuse me of misleading anyone. Nobody paid me anything, so haba? I provided a link with a lot of info that would have answered some of your questions. Anyway, in response to a few of them:

Regarding papers, I will take them from different angles, but long and short is, once your leg don enter here, unless you commit a crime, you are almost guaranteed to stay.

If you come as a student, under the new immigration initiative, after school you can apply to stay See this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp. You will get your residency, and soon after you will start to travel BLUE, as travelling GREEN as we all know can be hazardous to your health.

If you come as a worker, same applies as above.

If you are coming in with your resident permit, then you are golden, and we just talk about work and settling (below)

If you come as a visitor, first you fit begin extend, after two extensions, if you see person wey go give you work and sponsor you, you can change to work permit, or you fit marry their pickin, or if you plan to chop aduro, then that`s also a possibility.

If you just waka come, oh well then you have no option but aduro, and you will have to have your story and all documents prepared and very strong before you go raise hand. You cannot change your story halfway through. Like I said earlier, almost everyone dey get am.

School wise, there are many schools, with fees comparable to most places in Canada. Schools for children boku in every city. For e.g, my kids are in French Immersion, which means that they are instructed solely in French, and learn English in the community, thus affording them the opportunity of having two primary languages.

There are jobs here, especially if you are a professsional, although like in so many other places, you may need to upgrade, or to start at a lower level to get `Canadian Experience` Nurses have no problems the world over, here is no exception.
For those with only secondary education, or non professionals, or just for starters while you explore other options, there are many avenues to take: for e.g a laboratory assistant course is 6months and about $9000 The starting pay is $17per hr. Many newcomers, because they are in a hurry take the care aide route. That is about 12000 for a 6mth course, pay starts at $18per hr. If you choose the Licensed Practical Nurse LPN option its $12-14000 in public schols, and twice that in private schools for a 1 year course, and the pay is from $28 per hr. You will get a job straight from school. Bus drivers start from $26 per hr, mechanics and plumbers are in high demand, and God knows that if you are in home construction, like a carpenter or a stucco worker ,a painter or things like that, you better start coming today, because BC belongs to you.
For students wanting a parttime job for e.g, or just as a basic basic starting point, you can be a security guard. You WILL get a job for sure, you will likely receive on the job training, if not, the course is two weeks long, and you will likely start at $10-12 per hr.

People with their own businesses do very well because the tax system favors you better than the paid worker as you are allowed to claim this and that.

Healthcare is awesome. Everyone pays basic health insurance monthly, or your job might pay it, or if you are low income, the government will pay it, or subsidize it. You can then go to the doctors and hospitals for nothing and majority of procedures are covered. My friends mom has had two knee replacement surgeries since she got her papers 2 yrs ago. She came as a visitor by the way.

Bobs I know nothing about women, since I am a woman myself, but from what I can see, the boys are not doing badly; even the married badboys (ugh!) There are also many good women here who are looking for good men (excludes self cool)

Further questions ??

Mon Ami,
Can I talk to u through email..

weteckventures@gmail.com
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by abachaijay: 6:54pm On Jan 08
This is an awesome thread. It is as if, the thread is made for me.

My study permit was recently granted by IRCC for a Master's degree program at Thompson Rivers University Kamloops British Columbia.

I delved into the web to research about Kamloops in particular and British Columbia in general. Lo! and behold, I found this thread entitled, "Coming to Canada? Choose British Columbia" authored by Medlabgirl.

Please my dear sister, I need your sincere advise on the areas of accomodations, works, etc.

I would like to be part of your social capital and connect with most Nigerians (Igbos) residing in Kamloops for easy adaptation.

My email address is iloosinachi@gmail.com
Re: COMING TO CANADA??? Choose British Columbia by ednut1(m): 7:34pm On Jan 08
abachaijay:
This is an awesome thread. It is as if, the thread is made for me.

My study permit was recently granted by IRCC for a Master's degree program at Thompson Rivers University Kamloops British Columbia.

I delved into the web to research about Kamloops in particular and British Columbia in general. Lo! and behold, I found this thread entitled, "Coming to Canada? Choose British Columbia" authored by Medlabgirl.

Please my dear sister, I need your sincere advise on the areas of accomodations, works, etc.

I would like to be part of your social capital and connect with most Nigerians (Igbos) residing in Kamloops for easy adaptation.

My email address is iloosinachi@gmail.com
the thread owner was last on Nairaland in 2012. They person may not even be alive today 🙄

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eko Boulevard Completed By Eko Atlantic City, Nigeria's 1st Eight Lane City Road / Pedestrian Bridge Collapses In Ikire, Osun State (Photo) / Benin Republic Deports Many Nigerians (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.