Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,573 members, 7,820,059 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms (5040 Views)

Poll: Should License Be Allowed?

Yes: 48% (28 votes)
No: 51% (30 votes)
This poll has ended

Under What Circumstance Can One Be Issued A Firearms Licence. / Should Nigerians (Especially those abroad) Be Proud of Nigeria? / Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by siapaya(m): 9:19pm On Jul 02, 2010
What make you sure the thieves / robber wont be more likely to have the gun before you do?

If you have a gun and they have 3 gun, registered or not, what will make a different?

If your incidentally crash to an Oga, and he shoot you, and report it as you try to rob him by crashing your car to him ?

If the legal guns are out there, dont you think it'll be twice more illegal gun?

So the answer is : No. More gun means nothing if its concerning to security.

Lot of countries didnt support private possession on gun, and they still can manage the security well, even if the country are so well corrupted.
Malaysia, Indonesia, Ghana, Netherland, India, and some more, sorry I dont do some actual research, but it's my opinion.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by adconline(m): 9:24pm On Jul 02, 2010
why bother for a licensed gun in Naija when you can get it thru black market or NPF
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by EvilBrain1(m): 9:45pm On Jul 02, 2010
kabukabu:

I agree 100% with you,it seems as if its mostly us living outside of naija understand how gun owmnership is a detterent to crime

Guy, what are you saying? Gun ownership deters crime? Then the US must have really low crime statistics, wait, that's strange, they have the highest rate of gun crime of any developed country. Worldwide they're third after Columbia (aka cocaine country) and Guatemala.

South Africa allows citizens to carry guns an that country is now a crime riddled hellhole. They are now number 2 worldwide for assault and murder. One of my friends over there once told me at by 6pm he runs inside his house and hides under the bed. Its that bad.

People can't carry guns legally in the UK and thats why even gang wars mostly only lead to non-fatal stabbings. And criminals avoid using guns because they automatically attract police and media attention. Because of this most police don't need to carry guns therefore far fewer people get killed by criminals and by the police.

If guns deter crime, why is it that the countries where everyone has one have so much, crime?

You need to stop watching Fox News and use your brain friend. Have a nice evening.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by bkbabe99: 10:34pm On Jul 02, 2010
sayso:

you know the early days of Harlem in US,that is what this country will go through should that happen.

And what was the "early days of Harlem" like Mr Historian?
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Vainglory: 12:36am On Jul 03, 2010
The bad boys are roaming the streets free while the good ones are hiding behind bars in their homes. I tell you if gun ownership is legalised in Nigeria, all these home robberies will be a thing of the past. No more will riff-raffs rape a man's daughters and wife while he watches helplessly.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by davidsonn: 2:12am On Jul 03, 2010
bro why not take a look at this way,u hav ur own gun i hav mine n u just play a kind of supper man on the street more like u have a gun n it come's 2 u that u want 2 buy a sugar en u have only got a note of one thousand n u want 2 buy sugar n nkechi don't have balance n insted of apologiesing she called u a fool n allsorts of names,bro wetin u go do you go just bust crowd comut 4 her head.but be4 wen u don't have a gun u wil over look her or qurel her back u see to carry e no gud 4 naija no good u hear
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by alex406(m): 11:56am On Jul 03, 2010
Probably this writer wants a direct judgment from every soul.You want us to kill each other before the coming of Christ.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by oloritinu: 12:59pm On Jul 03, 2010
please no. i live in london and innocent kids whose parents have guns use them to kill eachother. we dont need it so that children will not think it is proper way to defend themselves from friends that get at them,  i beg ooooooooo. THE LORD IS OUR SHEPHERD.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by ebioloye1: 1:08pm On Jul 03, 2010
you guys know that is not possible in our country call nigeria you guys just lke to about it or do you want every body to die? that time if they the federal goverment aprove it father will now be killing son and son will now be killing father or mother NO we dont need it in this country because nigeria is too poor for that we nigeria we like money so much especially our nigeria policticial so pls pls pls you guys should stop debating on that issued thank you all
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by hackney(m): 1:14pm On Jul 03, 2010
Nigeria is not civilised nor developed enough to arm its citizens.
There is no police to maintain law and order, there are no CCTV's to help
ascertain "what happened" if there was a gun incident.

if guns are allowed in a country where nobody (the Govt) knows where anybody lives (no proper streets or house addresses), how will you
regulate where the guns are even owned?

There is no electricity so stray bullets will be flying around in the night.
If the little left stigma about gun possession is removed, guns will be used to settle EVERYTHING.

Arming citizens in the dark continent? NO.

Its true that some civilians are armed for one reason or the other but at least its just a handful and causes no harm.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 03, 2010
In as much as I would derive great pleasure in gunning down an olopa,

Pple shld be sensible enuf 2 know dat u can't use violence 2 solve violence, period!

No matter how civilized a country is,

Legalizing arms is a bad omen.

Check out USA 4 example,

It's only in movies you see someone with a gun saying "get off my lawn!"

In reality, the reverse is the case.

If it is not Psychopaths that go on a shooing spree,

It is drug addicts that terrorize a whole neighbourhood (Chicago 4 example)! etc
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 03, 2010
@BlueMagic,

If you are aware of the ongoing issue at Darfur, Congo etc,

You'll delete this thread!!!

Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Pennywise(m): 4:48pm On Jul 03, 2010
cultey:

[color=#550000]
Check out USA 4 example,

Nigeria is not USA, and USA cannot be Nigeria. Now ponder this scenario. It is a real life story that played out in a major Nigerian town a few years ago. A gang of 5 breaks into a compound and attempt to gain entry into a bungalow. They couldnt get through the burglary proof. After a long period of trying (and shooting), two of them entered via the roof. The husband was instantly murdered and the wife brutally raped by all five robbers.

Stories like this is not in any way unique infact they abound. I consider the man and wife victims of a bad state policy not that of robbery.

As some one said, guns do not kill people, people kill people. If you are determined to kill and you have no access to a gun, you will get something else. The state should not continue to tilt the scale on the side of criminals and nefarious elements. There should be limited and controlled ownership of guns. Yearly license renewal does not make sense along with the entire laws regulating firearm possession in Nigeria.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by kabukabu(m): 8:53pm On Jul 03, 2010
Evil Brain:

Guy, what are you saying? Gun ownership deters crime? Then the US must have really low crime statistics, wait, that's strange, they have the highest rate of gun crime of any developed country. Worldwide they're third after Columbia (aka cocaine country) and Guatemala.

South Africa allows citizens to carry guns an that country is now a crime riddled hellhole. They are now number 2 worldwide for assault and murder. One of my friends over there once told me at by 6pm he runs inside his house and hides under the bed. Its that bad.

People can't carry guns legally in the UK and thats why even gang wars mostly only lead to non-fatal stabbings. And criminals avoid using guns because they automatically attract police and media attention. Because of this most police don't need to carry guns therefore far fewer people get killed by criminals and by the police.

If guns deter crime, why is it that the countries where everyone has one have so much, crime?

You need to stop watching Fox News and use your brain friend. Have a nice evening.

The only reason crime statistics are high in the USA is sheer size and population,you should be able to figure that out,pal.but guaranteed that in terms of crime victims per 100 persons,by far nigeria leads the USthere is no doubt about that.

the mistake you are making here is believing that criminals get more guns if guns are allowed,not true, they get theirs illegally.I can't understand why most of the posters on here don't get that simple logic.Criminals will be armed,question is,will you?

By the way,CNN is my preffered News channel,not FOx grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Ranoscky(m): 9:08am On Jul 04, 2010
NO!!! Nigeria no be U.S and Egland. where 10yrs old sef don get 'em own gun. if 'em papa mis-yan 'em go blow off 'em papa head say afterall na jail 'em go go!. . . those county sucks!!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by krazynaija(m): 2:03pm On Jul 04, 2010
poster must be high lmaoo!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 04, 2010
Noooooooooooo
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Princek12(m): 5:22pm On Jul 04, 2010
It is a catch-22. Police is too incompetent to protect Nigerian citizens from criminals, most of whom have guns, so there is an arguable need for Nigerians to carry guns to protect themselves. On the other hand, if you allow Nigerians to carry guns, law enforcement and the judicial system are incapable of arresting and prosecuting those citizens who will use their guns unlawfully. According to Fela, it is O.D.O.O. (overtake don overtake overtake). While I think it is a decent idea, in my opinion, currently, the prospects of chaos that will arise if guns are allowed outweigh the security interests that are at stake if we are not allowed to carry guns. We need to fix our system, first.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by member479760: 5:37pm On Jul 04, 2010
A country where more than 70 percent of the population are living on less than $2 a day owning a gun should be their priority now.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Gsmxpert(m): 6:15pm On Jul 04, 2010
I think legalising will be ok but warri should be exempted grin grin
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by adconline(m): 7:37pm On Jul 04, 2010
The only reason crime statistics are high in the USA is sheer size and population,you should be able to figure that out,pal.but guaranteed that in terms of crime victims per 100 persons,by far nigeria leads the USthere is no doubt about that.

This is far from the truth. South AFrica would have a lower crime rate since it's 1/6 of American population. Or Maybe China should have more homicide rates than USA with a population of over 1 billion folks. New Orleans is less than half a million, but it has more crime rate than NYC that has about 8 million.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Outstrip(f): 8:35pm On Jul 04, 2010
There are already licenses so why is this news, My dad had a license for his double barrelled gun
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by BlueMagic2(m): 11:44pm On Jul 04, 2010
The reason why i posted this thread is simple. When i think of comin back home, i think of so many things. the robbery, kidnappers, inefficient police & all. My dad had a really bad experience the last time he traveled & for once in his life he hates his beloved country so much that he never wants to go back. I remember when i was in Nigeria i was robbed of so much money by a MoF**ker with a dane gun a.k.a Oka gun. I mean & i believe i am sharin the same view with so many Nigerians out there livin in diaspora who want 2 come home & start a good thing for its people & community. But becos of fear of all this shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, they cant. I mean we can cope with no light, bad roads but why cant we be a bit secure in a country we call home. But believe me when i do make up my mind to travel am gonna be PACKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry cool
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Pennywise(m): 5:23pm On Jul 05, 2010
Outstrip:

There are already licenses so why is this news,  My dad had a license for his double barrelled gun

I stand to be corrected but as far as I know, there is no legitimate means at the moment to acquire a gun in Nigeria. No new licenses are being issued. You need to have friends in high (to tweak the law) and low places (get the tool) if you must have one. A lot of responsible pple just dont want to be bothered.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Pafuri(m): 6:03pm On Jul 05, 2010
Yes, yes, and yes! Who is afraid of robbers when you have to contend with other ferociously viral species: the nigerian politicians and their friends. Please do not quote me o. Censorship is alive and kicking!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 05, 2010
Big YES to private gun ownership. At least now Naija policemen can start earning their pay, no more 'wetin dey ya boot' in the middle of the night. grin
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by wale4x35(m): 2:29pm On Jul 06, 2010
After a second thought; i think Nigerians should NOT be allowed to own firearm at least for now.

Imagine what would have happened to Kaita and Yakubu  grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Ranoscky(m): 3:19pm On Jul 06, 2010
@blue magic

I know that everybody in this world gat his/her own life to live whereever he/she wantto but, to me i feel MORE safer to live in naija than US!!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by tessybrown(m): 8:46pm On Jul 06, 2010
Yeah it is true that nigerians are like, monkies.tws http://ladieshood.waphall.com
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by tessybrown(m): 8:47pm On Jul 06, 2010
Yeah it is true that nigerians are like, monkies.tws http://ladieshood.waphall.com
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by obstead200(m): 10:45pm On Jul 06, 2010
Just like chris  rock once said in one of his comedy shows, I think naija should be allowed to own guns but not bullets.
make bullets sooo expensive that one would have to think twice b4 using one. then we can hear pple making statements like
" I'm gonna blow your f''kin head off if only I can afford a bullet!

but dont worry, i'm gonna work hard and save a year's salary so that i can buy a bullet. then u'll be a dead man!" grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Sprumbaba: 3:00pm On Jul 07, 2010
If this really happened,
Girl friend go Kill boy friend
Mama go Kill Papa
Driver will Kill Agbero
Passengers self go kill Conductor. Death toll will be all time high in Nigeria. We are not ripe for this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gifts You Dislike Most To Be Presented To You / Riveria Vocational School: New Free Vocational School In Finland / Ask Me Anything About Studying Or Visiting Mauritius

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.