Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,962 members, 7,835,216 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output (15419 Views)

OAU, Covenant Produces Highest Number Of Millionaire Startups - Techpoint / Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output / Tuition Fees For New (100L) Covenant University Students 2017/2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by madridsta007(m): 8:20pm On Sep 10, 2018
HigherEd:
which school is that?
m

LOL.
I can’t say it sir. Let’s keep it anonymous.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by SUNNINO(m): 9:00pm On Sep 10, 2018
Where is our darling UNIBEN, they employed Benin agbero everywhere as lecturers, am not surprise. Though, this could have an afonja undertone, because they are good at over hyping their things.

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by subcbouy: 9:24pm On Sep 10, 2018
madridsta007:

Agreed.
In my University, publishing 6 papers before graduation is part of your higher degree. 3 conference and 3 journal papers. Nigerian Universities need to implement that at MSc and PhD level as a prerequisite for passing. Even if it’s just one. Who is the Minister for Education sef?
Though, it is expensive, but, worth it. By this, ranking of our universities can now match relatively.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by otokx(m): 10:23pm On Sep 10, 2018
How have those publications improved the quality of life in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by NairaMaster1(m): 11:17pm On Sep 10, 2018
HigherEd:
UI = 950/114 dept = 8 publications/dept

OAU = 550/88 = 6 pub/dept

CU = 500/32 = 15 publications/dept - we the boss cheesy

Thanks for saying my mind.

Covenant University is the leader.

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by EternalTruths: 11:27pm On Sep 10, 2018
lamidebaby:
It must be Greatest UI noww.. Others are our satellite campuses. cheesy

A university whose graduates can't produce matchsticks, is that one a university.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by EternalTruths: 11:30pm On Sep 10, 2018
madridsta007:

Agreed.
In my University, publishing 6 papers before graduation is part of your higher degree. 3 conference and 3 journal papers. Nigerian Universities need to implement that at MSc and PhD level as a prerequisite for passing. Even if it’s just one. Who is the Minister for Education sef?

Research publications that can not produce matchsticks, are those ones research publications.

It is not by publications but by impact on the socioeconomic lifestyle of the society.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by EternalTruths: 11:32pm On Sep 10, 2018
vindisick:
If every school in Nigeria makes it a policy for every Post Graduate student to publish at least one journal from their thesis/desertation before graduation, the number of international publications in Nigeria will be much higher.

The problem is not to publish but to have an impact on the society

Imagine a country's top universities that can't produce a mobile phone after so much publications.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by EternalTruths: 11:35pm On Sep 10, 2018
otokx:
How have those publications improved the quality of life in Nigeria?

Don't mind Nigerians and the mediocre minds.

So much publications and yet we import torchlights.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by EternalTruths: 11:36pm On Sep 10, 2018
NairaMaster1:

Thanks for saying my mind.

Covenant University is the leader.

Leader in what.

Ordinary finding solution on how to produce cheaper and long lasting inverter batteries they can't develop and you are on Nairaland shouting leader.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by madridsta007(m): 11:39pm On Sep 10, 2018
EternalTruths:

Research publications that can not produce matchsticks, are those ones research publications.

It is not by publications but by impact on the socioeconomic lifestyle of the society.

In sane societies, research from Universities and think-tanks, often affiliated to Universities, drive policies for government and industry. From the United States to Australia to the United Kingdom to Brazil, this is the same. Thankfully, some African countries have begun to see this as essential, for example Kenya and South Africa

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by SarcasticGenius(m): 11:40pm On Sep 10, 2018
ABSAO:
UI is such a great school!
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by EternalTruths: 11:42pm On Sep 10, 2018
madridsta007:

In sane societies, research from Universities and think-tanks, often affiliated to Universities, drive policies for government and industry. From the United States to Australia to the United Kingdom to Brazil, this is the same. Thankfully, some African countries have begun to see this as essential, for example Kenya and South Africa

As long as our publications can not address our socioeconomic challenges, those publications are copied textbooks.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by fishguide(m): 1:09am On Sep 11, 2018
A thread dedicated to only student in the penultimate and final year of all educational institution in Nigeria. Research at this stage is a protocol that can never be an option in our great nation.

so what happens when you are face with a research work that seems like an unsurmountable problem? it's either you face it or walk away. the latter is never an option that is the reason i am creating this thread to be of assistant to you with your research work.

feel confident and tell me if you need a profession touch on your research/ project work. (08168261081)

I hope to hear from you soon

Best wishes.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by Baselm: 2:49am On Sep 11, 2018
Lordbooster:
Interesting...atleast i can see futmx dere alumni
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by madridsta007(m): 6:56am On Sep 11, 2018
EternalTruths:

As long as our publications can not address our socioeconomic challenges, those publications are copied textbooks.

I guess by “our” you are referring to Nigeria.
I wouldn’t classify Nigeria as a sane society.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by Austin234(m): 7:30am On Sep 11, 2018
Where did you get your statistics from?

HigherEd:
UI = 950/114 dept = 8 publications/dept

OAU = 550/88 = 6 pub/dept

CU = 500/32 = 15 publications/dept - we the boss cheesy
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by NairaMaster1(m): 7:55am On Sep 11, 2018
EternalTruths:

Leader in what.

Ordinary finding solution on how to produce cheaper and long lasting inverter batteries they can't develop and you are on Nairaland shouting leader.

I know you're the founder of inverter itself.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by Austin234(m): 8:01am On Sep 11, 2018
I think u have a valid point here. Public Universities are under funded. The little available funds is being mismanaged by these over hyped university dons.

Privatizing these universities will go a long way to salvage our education system in Nigeria. Our minister of education should wake up from his slumber

Alzirida:
A country where funding in Education is abysmal.
The little that goes in are swindled by University Dons.

Privatize all federal Universities
Let government have 20% stake.

While FG should concentrate more on technical schools and craft centers
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by Reussite: 8:05am On Sep 11, 2018
Shortyy:

Yea.. what do you think? About the story so far..
I must admit really cool tho yet to read all, will do that later 2nite. I hope I don't get to wait so long for updates wink
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by lloyds(m): 2:00pm On Sep 11, 2018
Austin234:
I think u have a valid point here. Public Universities are under funded. The little available funds is being mismanaged by these over hyped university dons.

Privatizing these universities will go a long way to salvage our education system in Nigeria. Our minister of education should wake up from his slumber

We can't privatize everything sir, what are the govt going to be responsible for?

Anyone academic that feels he has huge potential and the state is not ready to support can apply to private University.

And with individual dedication, good researches can still be done and findings implemented in State Institutions.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by Adelaide2: 3:36pm On Sep 11, 2018
madridsta007:

LOL.
And you think I’m in the system inside Nigeria? Sir, I’m published in 6.1 IF journals in my field— and I say this with humility. I understand the limitations which Nigerian researchers operate in and my arguments were defined within the scope of Nigeria— and not globally. It will take a while before they catch up to global best practices. Let them first compete within West Africa and Africa.

Okay!! So if you have taken a look at the David Olaleye link, and you claim you are published in journals with impact factor of 6.1 (good for you; I have several articles in journals with IF of 6 and above - in all, I have over 60 articles in peer reviewed journals), then do you agree that David Olaleye, given the website's appearance, is in no position to provide this information?

It is wrong to define this within the scope of Nigeria as we live in a global world. Moreover, one of the main purposes of having papers published in international journals is to disseminate findings to a global audience so results, where applicable, can be adapted for country or region-specific ends. What can other countries learn from academic research emanating from Nigerian universities? Your guess is as good as mine.

FYI, and stated humbly too, I am not just an author of research papers, I am also a reviewer (I review regularly for over 15 international journals), and also an associate editor for a Wiley Journal. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by madridsta007(m): 5:22pm On Sep 11, 2018
Adelaide2:

Okay!! So if you have taken a look at the David Olaleye link, and you claim you are published in journals with impact factor of 6.1 (good for you; I have several articles in journals with IF of 6 and above - in all, I have over 60 articles in peer reviewed journals), then do you agree that David Olaleye, given the website's appearance, is in no position to provide this information?

It is wrong to define this within the scope of Nigeria as we live in a global world. Moreover, one of the main purposes of having papers published in international journals is to disseminate findings to a global audience so results, where applicable, can be adapted for country or region-specific ends. What can other countries learn from academic research emanating from Nigerian universities? Your guess is as good as mine.

FYI, and stated humbly too, I am not just an author of research papers, I am also a reviewer (I review regularly for over 15 international journals), and also an associate editor for a Wiley Journal. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/

Certainly, I do agree that David Olaleye, as represented in the web-link above, is in no position to provide the information. The quality of research work done in report is pretty poor; the less said, the better. Unfortunately, this sort of information is what Nigerians -even those in the academia- use to analyse the state of research in Nigeria.

Agreed, it is inappropriate to limit Nigeria within the scope of West Africa but, arguably, that is where Nigeria has limited herself to that it would be disingenuous compelling oneself to see Nigeria differently. From the amount invested and budgeted in education, to the Minister of Education and other tertiary institution personnel to the research and teaching environment, Nigeria ranks poorly, even amongst "peers" in Africa. Pray, what compelling reasons does one have to situate an argument for Nigeria outside the shores of Africa? None, if one is honest. I once argued, in an article that I wrote earlier this year, that Nigeria's educational system, specifically at higher level, is yet to remove itself the colonial era of producing graduates just to gain employment in public service. Hence research, which seeks to systematically investigate a thing in order to reach a factual conclusion, is seen as "foreign". And treated as so.

Well-done on your published works. I have a bunch of papers I’m currently reviewing as I type this. I think I will say less (or no more!) about mine, as I prefer the anonymity on this space! Cheers!
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by subcbouy: 8:50pm On Sep 11, 2018
madridsta007:
m

LOL.
I can’t say it sir. Let’s keep it anonymous.
I understand if na Harvard, lol
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by subcbouy: 8:57pm On Sep 11, 2018
I can't imagine when someone saying: The world cannot learn from Nigeria's research work. Are you really serious?
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by madridsta007(m): 9:04pm On Sep 11, 2018
subcbouy:
I understand if na Harvard, lol

LOL.
Not Harvard. But certainly in its league.
I am not speaking on this again bro grin
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by subcbouy: 9:09pm On Sep 11, 2018
madridsta007:

LOL.
Not Harvard. But certainly in its league.
I am not speaking on this again bro grin
Nothing bad sharing the school since you are unanimous already
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by madridsta007(m): 9:49pm On Sep 11, 2018
subcbouy:
Nothing bad sharing the school since you are unanimous already

There’s no need to sir.
But yes, it’s in the league as Harvard.
Re: University Of Ibadan, OAU, Covenant Lead Nigeria's Total Research Output by subcbouy: 10:06pm On Sep 11, 2018
madridsta007:

There’s no need to sir. But yes, it’s in the league as Harvard.
OK, UCL. Gudluck

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Out-of-school Children Across States In Nigeria (ages 6–15) / Vacation To Chicago During Strike Is For Collaboration Discussions - UNICAL VC / Imo State Begins Construction Of Marine University…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.